Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
ismith Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A few things on this rifle don't look right to me. What do you guys think?
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=441562454

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

It looks reblued.

They buffed the heck out of that lettering.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Barrel roll marking is not correct, looking at my pre-wars. Mine don't have New Haven Conn. on them.
Shouldn't there be a rear sight boss?
Front sight ramp doesn't look integral with the barrel, but maybe?

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Nicely put together rifle. Barrel is incorrect for the year of manufacture of the rifle: The stamping "375 H&H Magnum" was introduced June 25th. of 1950. The rear sight is also indicative of a later barrel. Plus, it's a 25" barrel which is a dead give away. According to the serial #, it was manufactured in '37. The barrel is off a much later rifle (1950-1956)) and it's been re-blued, but that's not as important as the re-barrel. The stock is also from a mid to late 40's rifle. Someone else might be able to find more that I'm not seeing, but that about sums it up for me.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Sorry to hijack the thread, but here's a similar question: There were only a few standard barrel 375 magnums, does anyone recognize this one from previous auctions: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=441732829

"As-is, no refunds" is an odd way to offer such a unique rifle, if it's legit.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by snowshew
Sorry to hijack the thread, but here's a similar question: There were only a few standard barrel 375 magnums, does anyone recognize this one from previous auctions: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=441732829

You may want to keep an eye on that one. You might be surprised to see how much it sells for eek. Probably not too many guys know what is so rare about that rifle... I just bid on it because I know I won't even come close to touching the reserve wink

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Proof is located on top of the barrel....put together gun that one would always have to make excuses for.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Proof is located on top of the barrel....put together gun that one would always have to make excuses for.

Dead giveaway on an early gun....at least I have never seen the proof on top on a legit pre war.

BSA, nice research on the later barrel thing.

I was going to toss in a bid on that std weight 375.Never seen one of those in the flesh,but I am not going to chase it for collecting.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Bob, you know you would be my hero if you bought that std wt 375 grin..

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

You may want to keep an eye on that one. You might be surprised to see how much it sells for eek. Probably not too many guys know what is so rare about that rifle... I just bid on it because I know I won't even come close to touching the reserve wink

It has a non-original recoil pad on it but that's not really a big deal as it had a pad on it originally. The "as is no returns" thing scares me and I'm betting that will cost the seller a considerable amount of money on this auction as this is an extrememley rare rifle but the no returns will keep a lot of bidders away from it.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well guys, I chased the std weight 375 up until $5675! It sold for $5700.

"Sugartit3" sick laugh wanted it badly but dropped out once it got into the low 5's. lol. It was a race until the finish but given the "as is" terms and lack of real quality photos I had to let it go. It was a good call, I think, but I have mixed emotions knowing I probably won't see another like it for sale.

I have to say my wallet is very happy this morning. lol. grin

Eric

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Eric, you are an intelligent guy. I think you made a wise decision as well. It's really hard to bid on a rifle or purchase it without having an inspection period. With something as rare as that std wt 375, I think it should have had an inspection period.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks BSA. It was a tough call. The seller had promised additional photos but then went on a weekend holiday and didn't reappear until after the auction ended. He told me the rifle was sold on consignment. The owner received it from a gentleman who passed away recently and was a Winchester guru of sorts. I think this rifle could have sold for much more if it had been advertised better.

Eric

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Bob, you know you would be my hero if you bought that std wt 375 grin..

bsa: I am torn on them. I love the rifles but when I have to pay $5k for one, I am looking to build. I also don't want to bed and reinforce the stock on a "clean" original (you know I like to shoot them); but they need it to keep stocks from splitting. So.....

All this is part of the reason I have never gone hog wild for the pre 64 SG's....I leave them for the collectors. smile

Of course I could be happy dropping the metal into an Echols Legend....but I don't have to spend $5k on the rifle to get that done. wink

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I know very little about pre-64's myself, so now that the .375 has sold, do you care to share what is so rare about that rifle that makes is so desirable? Just trying to learn.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Good question test1328, I would also like to know more about this rare animal.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Great question guys. This was kind of a 2 part thread. 1 being the OP's 375 in question, which is a put together rifle. This is so obvious to a well educated Winchester model 70 guru. To the untrained eye it looks like a nice 375. The second part of this thread involves this post and this is where your question comes into play about rarity:

This rifle in question is extremely rare. According to Rule, he thought there were only 10 that were built. However, he didn't know everything about model 70's and what went out the back door with it's employees wink. Back to the rifle in question. It is a 375 H&H with a standard wt barrel, which basically means it had a very light barrel on it in comparison to the other 2 configurations (24" heavy weight and 25" tapered medium wt) offered.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks, BSA. I learn a lot from perusing this section of 24hcf and appreciate everyone's knowledge. Unfortunately, I don't personally own a pre-64, but have always loved the M70 rifle. In fact, I just got back from a Moose/Brown Bear hunt in AK and carried my Stainless/synthetic 338 WM M70 Classic for moose and my .375 stainless/synthetic 375 H&H M70 Classic for bear. After that, I can certainly appreciate having a lighter barrel on the 375.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
test, there's nothing wrong with the stainless classics. In some regards, they may be better than a pre 64 because you don't have to worry about them rusting like the pre 64's can in adverse conditions.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Not that one would really go out and shoot this rifle but if they did I can gaurentee that the stock would crack between the magazine and trigger opening. Every 375 I've examined has been cracked there, I'm betting it happened on the first couple shots, maybe even the test fire shot in the factory!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

306 members (1lesfox, 160user, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 24 invisible), 1,888 guests, and 1,098 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,837
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.