Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#9144110 09/01/14
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Posted this in the backpacking forum without much response. Im looking for radios that have better range than the Garmin Rino. Anybody use anything that would be better?
Thanks!

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Anything smaller than a vehicle mounted mobile is going to basically be "line of sight" unless you can hit a repeater with a handheld HAM radio.

WIthout a HAM license you are limited to low power transmissions

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Any experience with 5 or 7 watt VHF handhelds ?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Been there before ... it's line of sight or a repeater. But if in line, range can be pretty good. I have good radios but can't even walk parallel down each side of a ridge and talk to my buddy.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
What radios do you have talus.

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Baofeng UV5Rs

They are 5 watt radios in VHS and 4 in UHF. You can tune them to some legal frequencies if you don't have a HAM license. They are far better than the FRS radios you can buy at Wal-Mart etc.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm working on building a portable "backyard" repeater. This way, I can take it with me, launch a ladder line J-Pole up a tree, and have a much larger area of communications. Just need to get the rest of my hunting buddies to get their HAM certificate so that they can use the frequencies. HINT HINT....

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have a pair of Icom's. They are rated at 5 watt but normally put out more. They work so good Icom quit making them. I have used them successfully at 8 miles in rough terrain. On road trips they do far better than that.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by Owl
I'm working on building a portable "backyard" repeater. This way, I can take it with me, launch a ladder line J-Pole up a tree, and have a much larger area of communications. Just need to get the rest of my hunting buddies to get their HAM certificate so that they can use the frequencies. HINT HINT....

interested in the reapeater. I'm wanting to make a small repeater to put up on the mountain so we don't have to hike to the top to radio the other camps to check in.

West Kentucky Boy
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We use iComs on the ranch where I hunt in Colorado. Some years, the repeater takes a vacation. When that happens, the camp can't talk to the hunters up on the mountain very well, but if you're on the mountain, you can reach the camp if you need to. Much better than FRS radios from WalMart, Radio Shack, etc.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
IC B3

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Owl, did you work out the repeater idea? I'm really wanting to work out a lightweight repeater setup to bounce the signal over the mountain to other camps. I'm not seeing alot of info.

West Kentucky Boy
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K_Salonek knows a ton about them.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Seems a perpetual frustration. Take the advertised range, divide by three, and one has reality.

1Minute
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
K_Salonek knows a ton about them.

Thanks I sent him a PM

West Kentucky Boy
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My experience mirrors Reloaders.

I have icoms at our Africa camp. We can talk to the lodge which is 11 miles by way of the crow. These are little handhelds. The trucks also have them with 6 foot antennas. These will really reach out and communicate crystal clear anyplace at the camp. The Lodge only has a hand held unit not the base station model

It's not crystal clear but that range is repeatable. The Lodge is on a hill and the far corner of this concession is 11 miles at a lower elevation. Lower by 50-80 feet. Not like mountains.

I called from a mountain peak one late evening to my home 17 miles away in North Bend Washington. This distance measure was with a Garmin GPS. I was at 5800 feet and my home is at about 1000 feet elevation. I could hear crystal clear the whole conversation. This was after sunset in the evening about 9PM

Trying it again the next afternoon during daylight it would not work. But then worked again that evening. Funny how the sun shine seemed to have an effect on the range?

They work by an enormous factor better then the FRS bands which are simply rubbish for hunting or any use out side of a game of hide and seek for kids.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I believe Baofeng UV-5R and UV-82 are a fantastic way to go. Last 24 Hour Campfire Colorado g2g was on a very busy Ham Radio field day. From our location we made handheld 2-way contacts out to 35 line-of-site miles away with a portable antenna tossed up in a tree!

These radios are fantastic afield.
Drop in chargers, plenty of power for walking and riding line of sight distances and rather inexpensive.

Watch me pull using an intended ham radio afield out of a gray area by using the term 'in an emergency' any form of communication is legal.

There are a few frequencies that are slightly less of a gray area to use with a radio over a 1/2 watt and replaceable antenna Radio.

There are dozens of frequencies no one will know or mind that your using afield. Like say using marine frequencies in a land locked mountainous State.

The Baofengs will communicate with the bubble packed FRS and GMRS radios, like a boss. Again, a gray area.

Just an open challenge, if I may?
The Technician level Ham license is super easy to get. For real, there is a local 5 year old here that has his ticket!

Short study, find a test session, pass tbe test - get your license. Free Easy Ham Stury Flashcards

A Baofeng repeater seems easy enough, on the cheap: https://youtu.be/_KrH86Dzhnc

Amazon list all kinds of sources for these things. Baofeng Tech among the best for an American importer.

Clinging to my God, and my guns!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JeremyKS
Any experience with 5 or 7 watt VHF handhelds ?

Baofeng makes an 8-watt VHF - UFH version. About $60 bucks, add about $12 for an antenna up grade (Nagoya 701) about 20" of lite gauge wire grounded to the handheld's chassis ground or antenna base for a tiger-tail (counterpoise of a diapole). And you have a handheld that will heat (safe, but very noticeably heat) your hand when you transmit.

Battery expected life is shorter, but you can transmit at lower power settings if the high-power setting is an overkill.

(Btw: I am in no way affiliated with these Chi-com wonders, they just happen to be an inexpensive fantastic product)

Clinging to my God, and my guns!
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Thanks for the great advice. I've watched way to many of these videos now
grin

West Kentucky Boy
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jeremy, I am about to place an order for some and they will be shipped out to have programmed. Let me know asap if you want in and I can get them down at the same time and bring them down with me

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I use old military radios. They are good all over our 2K acre farm. Pretty hard to find these days but they are worth every cent.

Uxbridge Safaris
Email: [email protected]

The best times are around the fire discussing tomorrows hunt.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

659 members (160user, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 68 invisible), 3,431 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,374
Posts18,469,379
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.