Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#9186908 09/18/14
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Saw a clip on the tube, likely of a local river. Not far from the appearance of the coastal Gulf of Mexico.

How's it going?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Since 1800 last night, only another 1.1" here, Dan. Going by doppler, it looks like what's left of Odile has decided to just SIT here for a while.Looks like the country East and S of Cannanea are getting some serious precip.
Given what I'm seeing on this screen, the San Pedro has no doubt AGAIN overrun it's banks. The BLM's insistence that their "Riparian Area" be flawlessly void of that icky cow poo has left what once were clear banks now hopelessy overgrown tangles. Any substantial flow sees almost immediate damming and lodged plugs of vegetative debris.

Would appreciate your zeroing in on S.V. with that WunderMap and giving one of your most excellent forecasts / extrapolations. Particularly interested in the wind shear apparent off the Cienega Peak all through last night.

Cheers,

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Looks like my initial SWAG on the San Pedro was a fair one,...

Areal Flood Warning
Statement as of 4:14 AM MDT on September 18, 2014
...The Flood Warning remains in effect until 415 PM MST Thursday for southwestern Cochise County...

At 357 am MST extremely heavy flow into and through the San Pedro river continued.

At 4am the gauge at Palominas was reporting 14.8 feet / 8100cfs. It is expected to exceed flood stage shortly and peak at about 20.4 feet / 18300cfs around 830 am.

Further downstream...the gauge at Charleston was reporting 5.1 feet / 800cfs. It is expected to peak around 11.6 feet / 17000cfs this afternoon which is just above bankfull but below flood stage.

We will keep the Flood Warning for the San Pedro for areas from the border to just past Highway 82 for now and keep an eye on things.

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Glad you're getting the rain, Greg. Is it soaking in at all where you are? The orchard has to be loving it!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yes it IS soaking in, Ed. The new erosion control berms on the West side are performing as intended, and any sheet flooding is being steered away from the buildings.

The berries have gone into full foliar mode, and putting on an amazing growth spurt.

....Ben got some real moisture, finally !

GTC

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
That's good news!

I sure hope the reservoir managers are closing gates and hanging onto as much of this as possible.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Greg, away from home A at the moment, nothing for it save the IPhone which is a poor tool for weather stuff. 18k cfs is a chittload of water, mind your Pees'nQs.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
If you have a smart phone download Weather Bomb. It is the best I have found my a long, long way.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Greg, away from home A at the moment, nothing for it save the IPhone which is a poor tool for weather stuff. 18k cfs is a chittload of water, mind your Pees'nQs.

Peak flood / flow is now not anticipated 'til Ma�ana. Historically it takes that long to all get to the River from a not insubstantial basin , or so they say.

GTC

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Don't have one, Pard.

GTC

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
That's good news!

I sure hope the reservoir managers are closing gates and hanging onto as much of this as possible.

Ed

Well, I was just talking about the berms I've built on my little place,...what useta' run off now settles in cultivated, or soon to be cultivated areas.

Out there in the bigger picture there are no gates to close, a lack of dam shame, one might say.

GTC

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Odd crazy evolution, this one, during a major storm....

GTC.

Hoax call leads to major police deployment

link: http://www.svherald.com/content/derek-jordan/2014/09/17/390354

SIERRA VISTA � A report of a double homicide and hostage situation at a home in Sierra Vista was determined to have been a hoax after a multitude of officers responded to the reported location of the incident this afternoon.
Emergency dispatchers at the Sierra Vista Police Department received a call from an anonymous person at 1:07 p.m. Wednesday. The caller claimed that he had shot family members and was holding hostages. He also claimed that he was armed with several weapons, multiple rounds of ammunition and made a bomb threat.

Police responded to the address provided by the caller in the 500 block of South 3rd Street with well over a dozen officers, including the SWAT team, armored personnel carrier and mobile command vehicle, said Cpl. Scott Borgstadt, public information officer for the Sierra Vista Police Department.
During their attempt to make contact with the person thought to have been the caller, officers used loudspeakers, a set of sirens and tried calling the residence for about an hour. After receiving no response, an officer set off a noise and flash diversionary device near the home, resulting in a loud, explosion-like sound, according to a press release from the police department.
�It was apparent that the individual had been sleeping,� Deputy Chief Adam Thrasher said in a statement. �He permitted us to search his residence, and we found no evidence whatsoever to support the caller�s claims.�
Police are investigating the false report. Anyone with information as to who may have made the call is asked to contact the Sierra Vista Police Department at (520) 452-7500.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's more rain than you are tall. LOL laugh

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I'd bet on a trial run by bad guys to measure response of resources.

Ed

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by okok
That's more rain than you are tall. LOL laugh

If I want any chit outta' you I'll squeeze yer' head, Road Apple.

GTC

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
-Laffin-

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
I'd bet on a trial run by bad guys to measure response of resources.

Ed

Not unlikely,...there were those recent threats from the Sinaloas against ANYBODY wearing a badge, not all that long ago.

....ODD, anyway

GTC

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
"There's a disturbance in the Force".

"Spidey-sense"

"Sixth Sense"

"Weird Energy"

"What's wrong with this picture?"

All going off at once.

I know it's superfluous to mention it to you, my friend, but...watch yer topknot!

Ed

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looking at the Cochise County Sheriff's facebook, it doesn't look very nice down there Greg. The single lane bridge in hereford was covered in water. No pics of hwy92 bridge. I've been watching it because my mama's place is less than a 1/4 mile from the river in Mammoth. Curious how much of that water will make it that far north and if it will reach flood level or peter out before it gets that far.
Hope all is well in your neck of the woods.

Kique

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sky's gone back to looking real dark and threatening, without a HINT of Lightning, and zip for Thunder, as well.
My bet, looking at the weather guessing radars is that we've coasted through this event,...

Yup, both 92 and Hereford are closed again. Those damned bridges are going to KEEP going under until alla' that chit down in the valley is either burned out or hauled out,... there's nothing but years of dead lodged grass down there for years now, ...
This was NEVER a problem, when there were cattle down there.
Looks like the new bridge is holding up well, so far, I guess.
"Peak Flood," ....ma�ana, last I heard, it takes a while for that country East of Canannea to drain.

GTC

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 160user, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 55 invisible), 2,473 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,409
Posts18,470,295
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.