Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
My wifes parents passed away and she now owns their house. It is in a small town several hours away. Three months ago we discovered there is a slow leak on the water main line (several thousand gallons a month) between the curb and the house, but we don't know where. The line will need to be replaced. It will be a big job due to the lay of the line.

It is very difficult to find somebody who will return calls, etc. And it is not easy to meet with guys since we live so far away, both work, and have small children.

Finally we found sombody who would return calls and show up for a meeting. When he met me he told be "over $1500, possibly over $2000." Now we are scheduling the work for next week and he says "expected over $2000." Although this is not a direct contradiction, it seems to be a significant drift to the right.

When I asked him to explain the change in estimate, he replied he's had more time to think and his first estimate was hasty.

The estimate includes excavation contractor at $90/hour, plumbers at $85/hour, plus a couple dollars in materials (not itemized).

When I first met with he said a firm price would include significant margin for error, likely much higher than paying by the hour. But, now that we are drifting upward before the job even starts, I am not sure how to handle this. Should I request a firm estimate? Ask for a good faith ceiling (estimate but not firm)? I have had good and bad experiences both ways. I do not know this guy but do not have any reason not to trust him at this point. But if the price drifts too high I would not be happy after the initial discussion of $1500-2000.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Get a written contract before he starts

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What is the problem with the lay of the line? how long of a run is it between the house and the curb stop?

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
How long is the line?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R

I don't know the exact footage, but I would say it is about 100' straight. There was no wire run with the line so it can't be traced without digging it up. It goes under the paved driveway, under the concrete walk up to the door, and under the flower beds. The plan is to bypass the current line and go down the side of the driveway, around it, and put the new line in through the back of the house where the electric goes in. That makes sense to me. That's probably 120 =/- feet.

I cut down a couple of trees that go were in the way, so they'll have to pull those stumps. The cable and phone lines on the next property are fairly tight.

IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Get it in writing. Seems awfully expensive to me for 120' of line. I'd not have anything done without being there when its done.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
They won't give you a set price on a new line from meter to house? That's as easy as it gets.

Kent

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The $2000.00 sounds in the ball park at least for the area I'm in, my son had a line put in at his house 2 years ago it was about 100' long cost him $2200.00 and that included the copper line.

Steelhead is right, be there when the work is done and get it in writing.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Is the house on city sewer as well.......if it is, what is the sewer pipe made of.......clay tile or pvc? If it is clay tile I would consider having both replaced because in my area they were usually put in the same hole.

If your on a septic tank system, my advise is useless. smile

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Things are so different from area to area on prices obviously.

I had 250 feet of septic field line put in this past June, along with a 200 foot curtain drain around the leach field. The curtain drain has of course 200' of 4" drain line along with 75 tons of gravel.

200' curtain drain, 250' of septic line and 75 tons of gravel cost $3900.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You may be able to trace it, I've had the power company find depth/location on several water lines.

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He said water main, not sewer or septic main.

My advice as a master plumber and plumbing estimator is to ask for a written contract with a price range narrowed down as much as possible, but I'd caution against demanding a set price, because you'll likely end up with a higher total.

Think about it - you want this guy to give you a set price for dealing with unknown subsoil conditions and who knows what kind of potentially deteriorated connections? How can he do that? Answer - he can't. He'll end up figuring it as close as he can and then tack on extra for unknowns. I know because that's what I'd do and so would about every other plumber.

Take the contract with a range and be happy with it. $85/hrs is a fuggin bargain for a plumber anymore. Our rate is 88-96 an hour and this is a rural area.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If it's all new work, he should be able to give you a hard price like everyone has said.

If he's not willing to do that, I'd try getting him to agree to a time and materials contract with a not to exceed amount of $2,000 to $2,500 or whatever value you believe to be fair. He provides back up for the time and materials (you figure keep track to keep him honest) and materials and you're protected by the not to exceed amount.

I would think you should be able to get 1" to 1 1/2" line, excavation and backfill for about $20/LF. So in your case, 120LF x $20/LF = $2,400

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
If you got the work done for even a smidge over 2000 I think you're doin pretty good. Like Bruinruin said, diggin thru a couple stumps and 100' of who knows what to tie into who knows what isn't an exact science. Seems to me the guy is being pretty fair in price and honest with you about why..

Of no significance other than to point out the other side of business, my mom was just quoted 1300 to change out her 40 gal water heater..

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Did you ask him for any references?

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by bruinruin
He said water main, not sewer or septic main.

My advice as a master plumber and plumbing estimator is to ask for a written contract with a price range narrowed down as much as possible, but I'd caution against demanding a set price, because you'll likely end up with a higher total.

Think about it - you want this guy to give you a set price for dealing with unknown subsoil conditions and who knows what kind of potentially deteriorated connections? How can he do that? Answer - he can't. He'll end up figuring it as close as he can and then tack on extra for unknowns. I know because that's what I'd do and so would about every other plumber.

Take the contract with a range and be happy with it. $85/hrs is a fuggin bargain for a plumber anymore. Our rate is 88-96 an hour and this is a rural area.

I know, I got 550 foot of line dug. There isn't water in front of my house but there is at the corner. To get it to my house I have to go across the piece of property next to me. It's a 600' foot run.

I could get that done for $600, well run to the house, I'd hook it up at the house.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Apparently Yankees are happy taking it in the ass.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Get a contract in writing. ~$2000.00 plus tax while not a bargain doesn't sound too out of line. He will have to do some rerouting in the house also from the sounds of it. I always have a rock clause on any bid to cover unseen underground problems. That states time and material at $90.00 per hour for the plumber and the going rate for the machine

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
A time and materials or cost plus contract is usually the best way to go for all parties involved. It can be hard to get potential customers to understand this. When someone is demanding a firm price for unpredictable circumstances, we will almost always intentionally price ourselves out of the job. They will be hard to work for from start to finish. Every now and then we will get a taker however. Usually of the northern variety. They always seem to know more about what we are doing than we do and are willing to prove it with their checkbook.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bama_Rick
A time and materials or cost plus contract is usually the best way to go for all parties involved. It can be hard to get potential customers to understand this. When someone is demanding a firm price for unpredictable circumstances, we will almost always intentionally price ourselves out of the job. They will be hard to work for from start to finish. Every now and then we will get a taker however. Usually of the northern variety. They always seem to know more about what we are doing than we do and are willing to prove it with their checkbook.

My point exactly. I'm not going to take it in the shorts on a job with unknowns like this, so if the customer wants a firm price it's going to come with a buffer built into it. T+M is a better way to go for both parties, but unfortunately, T+M became a dirty phrase because too many unscrupulous a--holes took advantage of people.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

128 members (AceBall, 7887mm08, 3dtestify, 358wsm, 280Ackleyrized, 338Rules, 11 invisible), 987 guests, and 903 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,092
Posts18,522,131
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.