Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
On another forum I frequent there is a thread of unusual or scary hunting/outdoor experiences. Everything from bear encounters to walking up on satanic rituals have been covered, with some paranormal stuff I'm a little skeptical of thrown in. It's actually been one of the best threads I've read in a long time, so I thought I'd start one along the same lines over here. I know you guys have some good ones to share, so fire away!

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
You would never be able to guess in a thousand years. If I told the story I'd be called a bald face liar. But, if I ever get to Corpus Christi and get newspaper proof, I will relate the most amazing story you almost could ever imagine.

Corpus Christi Caller - Oct 1986. On a Sunday.

Last edited by eyeball; 09/19/14.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a 500 lb Black Bear walk up within about 12 ft of me while I was putting out a bucket of corn and molasses prior to deer season.

He was so close I could see his eyelashes, and since I was squatting down, we were at the same eye level

He got that close before we could see each other, and he just stopped and stared for about 30 seconds before backing up and making a wide arc around me about 40 ft away.

I kept him in sight for close to 15 minutes, and I don't think he ever realized what I was, since the wind was in my favor.

He just knew something wasn't quite right, but since I never moved, he didn't spook

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
All right

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Eyeball, I would call that a tease wink

IC B2

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I wasn't hunting at the time but a car load of us saw a hen woodcock pick up and fly off with one of her chicks a few yards and then came back and did it again with another one.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Hunting in the Shawnee at a place called Oakwood Bottoms. 3am in the tent. Heard an odd, electric sound, more of a hum than anything, coming from the east across the bluffs. Perfectly star-lit night with a nearly 3/4 moon and great visibility. As it got closer, it was making a throbbing sound. The hum would get soft and then get loud very rhythmically. Not an engine. Oddly, it seemed to pass straight overhead, but neither my hunting buddy or me could see it blot out any stars. It was passing really slowly based on the sound, but whatever it was, it didn't blacken the sky though it seemed like it was only a few hundred feet up. Oddest thing I've ever heard. Perhaps it was a stealth helicopter or something, but the throbbing sound didn't seem right.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Paulatuk N.W.T. in 1988 on a Muskox hunt. Our boat was overloaded and the guide swamped it 200 yards from shore. You haven't lived until you've taken a dip in the Arctic Ocean in October wearing pack boots and a parka. It's a damn good thing I was 26 cause I don't think I would make it now.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I had a mountain lion stalk me once when I was packing out a deer. That was years ago in California.

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Think it was a mountain lion briefly purring/growling from the brush when it discovered we were 'not' Turkeys.

That chit blows when you are already down on your ass and don't know exactly where that devil is, glad it left the scene. shocked

Trump Won!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It was my senior year in high school. The sun was just rising over the Bolivar Peninsula to the east. I casually watched as a huge diamond-back rattler swam across a small salt-marsh pond and wormed his way into a duck blind occupied by me, a friend and a chocolate lab. We saw the snake coming, but didn't think anything about it until his head appeared at our feet between us. This snake was between 5 and 6 feet long and about as big around as my leg.

The blind platform was a 4' x 6' pallet that we had floored over with a sheet of plywood and there really wasn't room for all four of us. My friend grabbed the dog and bailed out the "door side" and I broke my way out through the the brush stacked at the other end. After some frantic maneuvering in knee-deep mud and water, we managed to get a clear shot at the head and dispatched the intruder. Took a while for our pulses to return to normal.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I was 13, not of age for a license, but working a colt and went elk hunting with dad on public land. About a foot of snow. Dad took off across a little park to try to head some elk when they cleared the next timber patch, but my colt was a little goosey,
so I was going easy. Heard a loud buzz, snow kicked up ahead, then the report. Twice more, once underneath. Hollered LOUD and
bucked and ran for timber. Don't know how far off the shooter was, but glad he missed. How a skinny kid on a sorrel horse, all oranged up, resembles an elk, I still don't know.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Idiots abound

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by hacklewrap01
I was 13, not of age for a license, but working a colt and went elk hunting with dad on public land. About a foot of snow. Dad took off across a little park to try to head some elk when they cleared the next timber patch, but my colt was a little goosey,
so I was going easy. Heard a loud buzz, snow kicked up ahead, then the report. Twice more, once underneath. Hollered LOUD and
bucked and ran for timber. Don't know how far off the shooter was, but glad he missed. How a skinny kid on a sorrel horse, all oranged up, resembles an elk, I still don't know.

Shot a nice little 3x4 mule deer opening morning in 1996 up on the north face of Ellison Mtn outside Meeker, went back to camp, they informed me other hunters in our camp had three bulls down.

Took us a day and a half to get the bulls out, went back for my mule deer and the bears had found him, had a feeding frenzy on him, then buried him in the snow fer a re-dine later.

Pretty spooky looking stuff when you can read all that went on there in the snow.

Trump Won!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
This wasn't scary, or maybe even that strange, but kind of a neat experience. I was hunting elk and sat down under a tree to rest. There was a stealer's jay sitting on a branch just above and in front of me. We were watching each other. After a while I got my cow call just to see if anything would answer. After hearing me, that jay cocked its head, looked at my intently, then perfectly duplicated the cow call.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Bob's nut sack camel toe during the 2013 24hr hog slaughter.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A few for you.

Hunting in Alaska we flew into the bush, we were camping above tree line and with our spotting scope we could see a few camps a couple of miles away.

We had a front come through and the camp to the north were newbies to the bush. When the wind and rain came they were not close to there camp and it was destroyed. Out of the 3 hunters in the camp 1 survived.

Same camp, up the drainage from our camp there was a airplane with the skeletons still in it.

Same camp, if you were observant you could spot airplane tails sticking out of the trees, again the skeletons were there to view.

Same camp, out air-service, dropped a note to inform us that a hunter to the east had wounded a grizzly bear and it was coming our way. Dumb [bleep] wounded the bear with a 243, while caribou hunting.

We did have a grizzly in our valley that killed another bear and all that was left was the skull. same for a nice caribou. And one of the best looking grizzly bears commanded the Moose i had shot. He had it covered with more dirt and rocks than one could imagine.

"Sorry don't get it done, Dude"
John Wayne 1959
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I coulda swore I saw an orang pendek. When I went to check him out, I realized it was my ex-mother-in-law. It scared the holy chit outta me.

�If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.�
***US President James Madison***
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Bwana338
A few for you.

Hunting in Alaska we flew into the bush, we were camping above tree line and with our spotting scope we could see a few camps a couple of miles away.

We had a front come through and the camp to the north were newbies to the bush. When the wind and rain came they were not close to there camp and it was destroyed. Out of the 3 hunters in the camp 1 survived.

Same camp, up the drainage from our camp there was a airplane with the skeletons still in it.

Same camp, if you were observant you could spot airplane tails sticking out of the trees, again the skeletons were there to view.

Same camp, out air-service, dropped a note to inform us that a hunter to the east had wounded a grizzly bear and it was coming our way. Dumb [bleep] wounded the bear with a 243, while caribou hunting.

We did have a grizzly in our valley that killed another bear and all that was left was the skull. same for a nice caribou. And one of the best looking grizzly bears commanded the Moose i had shot. He had it covered with more dirt and rocks than one could imagine.

There is a whole bunch of baloney in your post. Parts of it might be true, most of it isn't. "airplane tails sticking out of the trees, again the skeletons were there to view." Sure there were. Multiple crashes, all with dead bodies abandoned there. laugh

Alone in the Fortress of the Bears
70 Days Surviving Wilderness Alaska:
Foraging, Fishing, Hunting
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
dont try to shoot a hog while you got a chick sucking on your tube snake...

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (12344mag, 21, 1234, 01Foreman400, 1Longbow, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,097 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,017
Posts18,481,625
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.