Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Sure. In Ak folks want to be buried in their planes. whistle

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Before daybreak sitting in my climber few yrs back I heard a noise coming thru the trees and all the sudden a big ass owl landed on my gun rest inches from my face. Hearing something in the distance flying torward you in the dark was terrifying to me.....heart was thumping!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by eyeball
I took it that the dude was talking about one wreck/plane. I assume they called it in.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by eyeball
I took it that the dude was talking about one wreck/plane. I assume they called it in.

One in the drainage, multiple tailS all full o skeletans

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I hunted a private island in Florida for many years accessible only by boat. Other than a hunting lodge nothing else was on the island. I knew the Seminole Indians had visited the island possibly to hunt or have ceremonies of some kind. The owner of the island once took me to a circle deep in the forest with ancient burial mounds & remains of many fires. Many Indian artifacts had been found there & numerous pieces of pottery still existed. The place had obviously been where ancient chiefs or other tribal members were buried & ceremonies conducted. There was an eerie silence with only the wind blowing & I had this weird sensation that ancient spirits were watching me. The owner of the island was very religious & while he allowed the local Seminole tribe to visit each year would not allow the burial mounds to be disturbed. He felt ancients had chosen to bury their dead their & the burial mounds should not be disturbed or remains moved.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
1. My father and I once discovered a car buried in a brushpile. He reported it and it had been used in a crime.

2. My uncle and I once had a black bear hang around our campsite in the middle of the night.

3. My brother and I once had a brown bear encounter in AK. We never saw him, but he repeatedly walked on top of our tracks on a trail through thick stuff you couldn't see a foot into.

4. Twice I've had black bears come to my turkey calling, one as big as a couch 12 feet away. The other "only" half that size one step away.

5. Slipped on some ice last March 18 and broke 3 ribs in the fall. Had to walk a half mile to get out of the woods, and my buddy drove me an hour and a half to the hospital not knowing the extent of my injuries. I still feel it when I roll over in bed.

6. In 1993 I rolled my truck when my right wheels slipped off a bank in the wee hours while entering the woods for a turkey hunt. Separated my shoulder.

7. Back when I was a kid I was talking to a guy I knew in the woods, kind of a wild man I was friends with, and a kid with long silky hair walked up. My "friend" said, "You look like a girl. Do you know what I do to girls I find out here?" The kid walked away, as fast as he could.

Whether these fit the strange or scary profile intended by the OP, I don't know. But there they are for what they're worth. I could come up with a couple more if I tried.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Was out hunting one day and an engine chip warning light came on.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
when i'm hunting the strangest think that happens is i don't kill something.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
scary thought.......

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
When I was a kid about 11, dad, lil sis, and I took a float trip from Austin to Bastrop. On the Colorado river. Was the same week the israelis fought Egypt in 6 day war.

I was in front of John boat as we chugged down river. Somewhere below webberville I see object in water. It is a hand with the fingers barely sticking out above the surface. I begin to turn sheet white! As the hand got closer, I can finally make out it is one of those old playtex dish washing gloves with just enough air trapped in it to float real eerie like!

Scared the bejezzus out of me!!!!! I did t think dad would ever stop laughing!!!!

Last edited by kaywoodie; 09/20/14.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Back in 76 on a fishing trip in Baja we ran out of ice and had to drink warm beer.

Talk about scary!!!!

Then there was that time in 68 when we forgot the can of gas to get the fire started with. eek

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Back in 76 on a fishing trip in Baja we ran out of ice and had to drink warm beer.

Talk about scary!!!!

Then there was that time in 68 when we forgot the can of gas to get the fire started with. eek

Oh the humanity!!!!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I was hunting in some really thick timber one year, when I kept getting a feeling something was watching me. But whenever I turned around, nothing was there.

When I got back to camp that night, I told my buddy about it. He said he ran into some Jews on the mountain. That scared the crap out of me.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

Talk about scary!!!!

Ha. That reminds me of a time in high school a couple of my pals and I took my families boat one Friday pm from Refugio to Rockport and put in. We went through the bays to the intercostal canal and headed toward Galveston. When we got to Mesquite Bay we headed south across it to the chain islands up the coast from Port Aransas and camped in some oyster shell islands near Cedar Bayou which ran a few miles to the Gulf of Mexico where many went by boat to camp and fish the surf. It was a long way to civilization.

On Sunday afternoon a boat approached from the direction of the gulf and ran up on the exposed reef. A few high school kids climbed out begging for water with swollen tongues.

They had ended their beer drinking extravaganza weekend after learning man can not live on beer and hot dogs alone.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Grouse hunting with my dog along a border river between MN and Canada I found the body of a man who was reported missing over the summer by his camping partner. His body had been stuck in the current under a falls, thus eluding the search team. When the water level dropped in October his body had floated out and was hung up along the bank where I found him. He was pretty pasty and swollen, also missing most of his face. His arms were flopping unnaturally in the current, seemingly held onto his body by only his jacket. On the hike back out I didn't feel much like shooting anymore birds. I was a young man and had not seen a dead body in that sort of condition before.

It is a remote area with no vehicle access�.about an 8 mile round trip on nothing more than moose trails. I brought the sheriff's deputy back on foot later that day. A helicopter rescue was then called in to haul him out.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Another time my brother and I were out grouse hunting in the same general area. It had started raining so we decided to head back. As soon as we turned around there was a huge timber wolf with his nose down in our tracks that had been following about 30 feet behind us. When we locked eyes, he immediately jumped off the trail in to the woods. We never saw or heard him again.

Then last deer season, I had a wolf come into my position while still hunting after I did a doe bleat. He came in the first time just upwind and went past me. I tipped the can a few more times and he charged in, right now! As soon he got a little cross wind of me at about 20 feet he locked up and froze. I stuck my head out a little further from behind the tree I was standing behind and he jumped up, did a 180 and ran off. It was neat to experience not only seeing him, but to appreciate his hunting ability and how well they are able to pick the exact location of sounds.

In both instances I only saw one wolf, but wondered how many others were in the general vicinity.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not much of a story I suppose but very spooky to me. Walked up a mountain in NY on a day deer hunt noting landmarks as I went. No luck. The sun was low and it was time to walk back to the car and started following the landmarks back. About 100 yards into it I had this almost overwhelming urge that I was going the wrong way. I mean a really, REALLY strong feeling I should be going that-a-way. The landmarks no longer looked quite right in the fading light. Forced myself to follow them anyway and ended up back at the car. Nothing looked right until I got within a couple hundred yards of the car and then I wasn't convinced until I spotted it.

Never had anything remotely like that happen before or since. Now I understand how people who don't know what they are doing, and some that do, get lost.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Was out hunting one day and an engine chip warning light came on.

laugh

BTDT

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A buddy and I went for an Thursday afternoon archery elk hunt. We called in three bulls (no shots) but I did get a shot at a black bear, smacking the tree behind him, right at his back line. He ran off like a scalded cat!
The next evening I packed in the same place for a weekend hunt and while setting up my tent I caught what I suspect was the same bear, sitting down watching me at 15 yards. When we made eye contact I realized my bow was 15' away leaning against a tree, and he wasn't running away! Eventually, he slowly and nonchalantly turned and walked away. I spent a long night imagining sounds outside my tent of the revenge seeking bruin with 6" claws and fangs!

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

Talk about scary!!!!

Oh the humanity!!!!!

Yea,,, that was 40/50 years ago and I still wake up in a cold sweat occasionally.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (007FJ, 1234, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 16gage, 10Glocks, 52 invisible), 2,725 guests, and 1,354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,460
Posts18,471,276
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.