Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The internet has taken over as the dominate print media.

We don't get the paper any longer. We get that news from Fox, TV news and the Net.

I used to subscribe to magazines but let the subscriptions expire. Still get the Rifleman and Am. Hunter with the life memberships.

Near here a entire newspaper building is for sale.

[img]http://centralctpost.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/100_0429.jpg?w=453[/img]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Reading in general has been mortally wounded by the three bullets: don't, won't, and can't. People don't read because they can have it beamed to them in pictures. People won't read because reading is harder than simply watching. And lastly, people can't read because schools are so poor.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Odd - spent over an hour in the book store today, bought 2 magazines. I get Fur Fish and Game to the house along with Bassmasters.

There isn't a single week that goes by where I don't read some form of tactile print media.

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I still take a paper. No TV station here so if you want to hear any local news you either read the paper or ask someone.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Reading in general has been mortally wounded by the three bullets: don't, won't, and can't. People don't read because they can have it beamed to them in pictures. People won't read because reading is harder than simply watching. And lastly, people can't read because schools are so poor.

The irony is that the 'book burners' won.... frown

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Savage_99

We don't get the paper any longer. We get that news from Fox, TV news and the Net.

I used to subscribe to magazines but let the subscriptions expire. Still get the Rifleman and Am. Hunter with the life memberships.

Near here a entire newspaper building is for sale.

[img]http://centralctpost.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/100_0429.jpg?w=453[/img]

actually mainly the large daily nation wide or large regional newspapers are doing bad.....community newspapers are doing quite well cause you cant just pull alot of that chit up on a google search......seems there are more new and specialty magazines now than ive ever seen lasting past the critical one year mark and right now is about the best time ever to be a book author cause it is so easy to self publish......damn cant imagine Savage 99 being wrong yet again....

Last edited by rattler; 09/21/14.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I hate e books. I like books with pages. I read a lot, I always get the infisherman panfish guide every year and I order books off amazon. If I want the news I go here cause every body here is way more informed than me about our country's politics.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by seal_billy
I hate e books. I like books with pages. I read a lot, I always get the infisherman panfish guide every year and I order books off amazon. If I want the news I go here cause every body here is way more informed than me about our country's politics.

I'm an inveterate reader.
I'm totally opposite. I still read newspapers and subscribe to two online, but no paper.

Where magazines are online I've switched my subscription to electronic. And since I've had my Kindle, I haven't bought a book except the "coffee table" kind with a lot of illustrations. I used to have bookshelves loaded with books and magazines and now plenty of room!

Last edited by mrmarklin; 09/21/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
e-books are only good as long as you have power and the software is up to date and the platform is supported. Print is good indefinitely.

There are many things that I read electronically, and there will always be some that are a "must have" in print.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I read a lot some books but mostly on the kindle anymore as it is easier than driving 70 miles to find a book store. Most of the magazines that are left are junk anymore to much advertising and not enough good articles. I read a lot on the interweb I hate seeing something on the web that looks interesting and then find out it is a video. I would much rather read an article than watch some dumbass video.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
look at the recent thread about how many books folks have read this year. Reading is NOT dead with 24hourcampfire members. laugh

Sam......

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I actually like eBooks a lot. According to my records, I have read over 30 eBooks this year, and just down loaded two more crime thrillers by William Ryan.
I travel a lot, and it's SO easy to take the iPad loaded with books. Much easier than taking a stack of books from the library.

Sam......

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I like the printed word.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

I actually like eBooks a lot. According to my records, I have read over 30 eBooks this year, and just down loaded two more crime thrillers by William Ryan.
I travel a lot, and it's SO easy to take the iPad loaded with books. Much easier than taking a stack of books from the library.

i dont mind ebooks for fiction and certain types of nonfiction but there are a hell of alot of books on my shelves i couldnt stand to have in e-format....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My preferences, in order

Hard cover books
Magazines

Everything else, i.e. newsprint, paperbacks, e-books, online newspapers, it's all just consumable trow away stuff.

But stuff I want to come back to, or just remember, I want it in hard cover on my bookshelf, or in a magazine box.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Savage_99

Amazing how quickly you catch on....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Whatever happens, there needs to be advertising support to keep content coming. Good journalism costs, and as Rat well knows, love and passion for the game only carries one so far.
I wish the "media" could come up with an access plan -- basically, buy your local paper and you get the rest of the world in the bargain.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I read more now than ever. Granted its on the internet. Before the internet I watched a lot of news on tv rather than read newspapers. I used to get about four or more hunting mags a month but once i got through them i was done reading. Instead of watching tv i now spent time reading on the internet. I like the additional support of video and tons of pictures that come with the information. I dont miss print media one bit or paying to advertise in it. Storing all those mags and then trying to go back and find a specific article I wanted to read again was a drag. I will take the internet and pray the power doesnt ever go off.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I enjoy the paper with my morning coffee.
Yea, I don't believe much of it, but read it anyway.
I read books and magazines, not on a computer, I pad, etc.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm a paper back junkie. Mostly I read myself to sleep at night or when I don't feel like watching tv. I've got storage crates full of books that I don't remember reading until I see the next printing on the store shelf. Some day I'll have to find a worthy soul to donate them to.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (222Sako, 1234, 12344mag, 219DW, 1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 45 invisible), 2,227 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,131
Posts18,483,907
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.