Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Can we truly hope to maintain this level of existence which we now enjo?

(Oil is the source for so many many of the items we rely upon in todays world. I think we might be missing the boat to think that oil is simply about energy.)

Last edited by Klikitarik; 09/21/14.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Not at all which is why we and the others continue to invest in 30+ year projects.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The world would be a a far more difficult, and probably brutal place, without oil.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
True statement.
Yet 300,000 wandered aimlessly in NYC to demonstrate their belief in man-caused climate change. One of the marchers was the Secretary-General of the UN himself.
Lots of signs......some reading "Leave Oil in the Ground", "Fracking = Death", "Fracking Kills".
I wonder how many would have been rat food last winter without heating oil or natural gas. Last time i heard the concrete jungle doesn't produce that many BTU's.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
To quote a bumper sticker from the early days of oil exploration in Alaska when the environmentalists from the liberal colleges were trying to stop all drilling:

"Let them eat their lobster in the dark"

People are taught to think emotionally, not logically. This leads to really stupid decisions.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Go oil. Gonna buy me some transocean soon.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
To quote a bumper sticker from the early days of oil exploration in Alaska when the environmentalists from the liberal colleges were trying to stop all drilling:

"Let them eat their lobster in the dark"

Yeah - and on tables of bare wood w/ linen cloth covers.

Gone will be the "ethanol acres" replaced by fields of flax and cotton, pasturelands for sheep, and fields of hay. (No more poly or nylon clothing; vinyl siding will be history. So will paint for all but the very wealthy. Plumbing will be copper, iron, lead, and clay once again. Bottled water will come in glass or aluminum - if at all.)

Surely oil is bad. frown

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Klikitarik

(Oil is the source for so many many of the items we rely upon in todays world. I think we might be missing the boat to think that oil is simply about energy.)

damned hard to live where I live, without oil, and natural gas. All of our food is hauled in, by truck, on the interstate. except tomatoes for a month from the garden. Firewood is chainsaw cut, and hauled from the forest, 5-15 miles one way.

Electric is mostly coal and hydro, but without food and home heat, we would have to move.

People lived here before oil, on beef and beans, and corn,beans and squash before that. but it didn't look like fun! blush

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It inspires me that Leo DiCaprio sacrificed so much in leaving the yacht he borrowed from an oil sheik and took a private jet to join the plebs in protesting fracking and climate change.

So much so that I now plan an ascetic life of following him a and picking up his discarded whole foods quinoa burrito wrappers and big gulp cups. As long as I don't have to sit too close to the toilet on his private jet.

Climate change skeptics call out marchers� �hypocrisies�

[Linked Image]

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Of all the oil ever consumed by man, 95%+ has been consumed in my lifetime......born at start of WWII. It is difficult to imagine a child born today being able to enjoy affordable energy for the next 70 years.

Just too many people on this old mud ball and there will probably be a reduction that quantity some day.

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Sycamore

damned hard to live where I live, without oil, and natural gas. All of our food is hauled in, by truck, on the interstate. except tomatoes for a month from the garden. Firewood is chainsaw cut, and hauled from the forest, 5-15 miles one way.

Electric is mostly coal and hydro, but without food and home heat, we would have to move.

People lived here before oil, on beef and beans, and corn,beans and squash before that. but it didn't look like fun! blush

Sycamore

actually since my daddy was born in the city you live in, and my daddy's daddy was there in the 1890's, they got around perfectly well in a buckboard with two mules. And the diet was pretty much beef, beans, corn etc. plenty of wood around there to keep you warm with a cross cut two man saw, axes, and the like. Cept it probably wasn't too much fun hitting the outhouse up there by the present day hospital in december when the wind was blowing with all that white stuff all over the place.
personally i prefer the thermostat.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Without oil . . .

For a minute, I thought you'd run out out of seal oil Kilk . . . wink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Our entire agricultural system basically turns fossil fuels into food. Without oil/gas billions will die. While renewables sound cool they are hardly a replacement.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Without oil . . .

For a minute, I thought you'd run out out of seal oil Kilk . . . wink

Well, actually..... grin

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The earth may make new oil as a geological process, look up abiogenetic petroleum. It's complex and theoretical, but there may exist a hydrocarbon cycle similar to the water cycle, wherein the earth's mantel produces heat and pressure that in the presence of mineral catalysts, gasses and microbes becomes upward migrating veins of petroleum that pool in fractured rock. While it is speculative, the biomass theory has not been conclusively proven either. Then again there may be more than one natural process producing oil. So, while scientists argue about it, we are left to wonder.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
a relative owns some land up just south of the grand canyon. Few years ago a public meeting was held, as some alternative power company wanted to put wind turbines on the land. This was not highly thought of by residents. It took about 90days from start to finish before the turbines started showing up. Amazing for the process to work that fast. Now the funny part was that I believe the intent was to sell the power to the local statewide power co. Didn't happen.
We kept thinking it was a good idea in one respect. Maybe some of those california condors would hit this turbines, get shreaded, and make winter feed for the coyotes.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by WranglerJohn
The earth may make new oil as a geological process, look up abiogenetic petroleum. It's complex and theoretical, but there may exist a hydrocarbon cycle similar to the water cycle, wherein the earth's mantel produces heat and pressure that in the presence of mineral catalysts, gasses and microbes becomes upward migrating veins of petroleum that pool in fractured rock. While it is speculative, the biomass theory has not been conclusively proven either. Then again there may be more than one natural process producing oil. So, while scientists argue about it, we are left to wonder.

Actually the term is "abiogenic."

Anbiogenetic has to do with the the spontaneous origin of life.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WranglerJohn

While probably true, the rate of generation is dwarfed by the current rate of consumption.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The big myth is the idea of peak oil, gee if you wanted to you could take a tree and if you wanted to exert enough heat and pressure, you could make oil, of course you would spend more energy that you would get but it could be done, the Germans made a distillate fuel from coal during the second world war, we have plenty of coal deposits here in the states and else were, never mind the natural gas deposits and the ability to bring it to market, there is a world wide shortage of refining capacity but that is a solvable thing, all it takes is just will to build them, there will aways be oil and in enough quanities to be affordable for the near term and by near term another 200 or so years at least, by then things like fuel cells will become affordable and an every day thing, wind mills well they work some of the time on a real small scale, but not on the scale that we would need to abandon oil, coal, gas and Nuclear!

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Without oil life would be nasty, brutish, and short.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (10ring1, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 160user, 51 invisible), 2,061 guests, and 1,371 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,763
Posts18,495,565
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.