Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Jammed push feed.

They don't jam until you try to use them.

[Linked Image]

funny ive seen a mauser do that aswell....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 22250rem
I have no experience with them, but based on talking to owners of them over the years I would buy one if I liked the price, the chambering, etc. As regarding the triggers; I have a fully rifled 12 ga. 870 slug gun that my gunsmith did a trigger job on earlier this year. When I picked up the trigger assembly from him I seem to recall him telling me that it's basically the same as the 7600 rifles (if I'm recalling this correctly). Which means that if I picked up a 7600 and wasn't happy with the trigger, it could be easily corrected.

If they are as similar to the excellent model 870 as this would indicate then they are indeed a fine rifle.

I have never heard any reports of them being frequent jammers or in any way unreliable and so far this thread is confirming my prior suspicions. Thanks to everyone who has chimed in. If the country I deer hunt in was not so incredibly wide open (not a single tree of any kind for miles and miles) I would sure love to take this one deer hunting this year.

It will be here waiting for me when I am able to take it on a proper hunt where it will be needed.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I can tell you that my buddies went from 742/7400s to 7600s and are far happier. They all hunt the same way in the same conditions and never have the jamming/feeding issues those POS semis did. I can also say that my 308 is the only one that had real problems and was a dog right from the factory. Based on my telephone conversation with Remington Customer Service, it appears that the new 7600s are not the quality of the older and a side to side comparison of the 2 in my house right now, that is true.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
While the 760 might be ok for left handed shooters it lacks much of what I find desirable in a hunting rifle:

They are homely and look like a shotgun.
The forend rattles.
They lack CRF (Control round feed).
Small port to clear or single load.
They jam.
Poor trigger.
Inadequate trigger only safety.

I found a new place to hunt with lots of land and plenty of deer and varmints.

On opening day I was there early. As I walked up to the spot I had picked out for my stand another hunter was already there!

As I approached he got up and started past me in the near dark.

I asked if he was leaving. He said:

"Yes, my rifle is jammed!

It was a 760!

Looks are subjective.
The forend rattles if the person handling the rifle rattles it.
Lots of rifles aren't CRF and don't need to be.
May be small, but it's big enough.
How many times did yours jam on you?
It's a hunting rifle, not a target rifle. If you can't manage the trigger, take up crosstich.
The safety is entirely adequate for anyone other than a bumbling idiot. Given the whole of your post, I can understand your concern.

Isn't it interesting when topics like this arise that the loudest protesters don't have any direct experience with the product they are running down.

Last edited by PaulBarnard; 09/22/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The forend rattles.
They jam.
Poor trigger.

Perhaps you've got some actual field picts to share rather than your usual kitchen, shooting range and fence-post-type picts? smile

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B2

J
jay Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
These guys might disagree with you.....
http://www.benoitsbigbucks.com/

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Jammed push feed.

They don't jam until you try to use them.

[Linked Image]

hey dumbass, post the picture of the Jammed up CRF you put up thinking it was a PF.

10 whole acres? Damn you go hard, such hardcore pursuits demand CRF!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SKane

The forend rattles.
They jam.
Poor trigger.

Perhaps you've got some actual field picts to share rather than your usual kitchen, shooting range and fence-post-type picts? smile

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Remington 7600--The Uber Rifle! grin

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SuperCub
I've had 760/7600s in 223, 270, 308, 30/06, 35Rem, 358Win (35Rem re-chambered) and 35Whelen. Many of those have been 2 or 3.

~Small base dies are not required.
~Pumps will take surprisingly hot loads but I didn't push it.
~They are accurate, handle well and dependable.
~Small scopes in low Weavers work best. I like a VXIII 1.5x5
~I've had two cut back to 20" and find this length best, but wouldn't do it to a Whelen as it would devalue it.
~The 16" twist in the factory 35cal bbl will handle 250s.

~All of the 4 35Whelens I had would pop open the action and eject the spent case on firing from the bench with heavy 250gr loads. This is common and has been reported from other owners. Fear not when this happens.

Hey SC--you took the words right off my keyboard! cool

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
If the Remington pumps were any good, famous hunters like the Benoit family from Vermont would use them. (Hmmm... wonder what rifles the Benoits do use...)

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We have Safariman & Savage_99 in this thread - all we need is ringman to complete the trifecta. grin

WWP53D
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by SKane

[Linked Image]

I have a 7mm-08 like this one. I had a 760 30-06 and it's a great rifle. My son, High Brass, has it now. My 7600 doesn't have the workmanship the 760 has but it's still a great rifle. I did have to tweak the 7600's magazines a little for reliable feeding. Both are plenty accurate. A trigger job on the 7600 took care of the creep.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Whelen Nut
Hey SC--you took the words right off my keyboard! cool

Unlike one notable detractor posting on this thread, you and I have actually used these rifles, thus the similar experiences. smirk

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV

I have a 7mm-08 like this one.

Dave, that stock set came off a 7mm-08. (mine is a 30.06)
A 7mm-08 or .308 in a 7600 is about as good as they come!

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Skane,

Thanks for the photos, those are some terrific white tails you took there!

I am going to try to find some older all steel magazines for mine at the next gun show I get to, overall I am feeling pretty good about the rifle. Time to put the scope on it and go shoot it. Hopefully this afternoon.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Between myself and the WI deer camp crew, we have litterly truck loads of dead deer with the 76/760/7600's.

I don't know of one complaint of a gun not working, not being accurate enough, or the gun rattled too much.
By the time a buck hears my gun rattle, he's already had one through the rib cage.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just a couple of more more thoughts on the 760/7600's.

I'm naturally right-handed BUT left eye dominant therefore I shoot left handed. Shooting a pump from the left side allows me to work the action with my 'good' hand.

I've never switched the safety on any of my pumps--including a number of 870's. I simply use my left thumb to nudge it over--most always while bringing the gun to my shoulder.

Handloading will almost always improve accuracy but I've found green/yellow box ammo to be almost as good. In fact, I have a Whelen that shoots Federal TBBC 225gr as well as any of my handloads.

If the forearm rattles, the screw at the tip needs to be tightened. Never had an issue with any magazines on well over a dozen 760/7600's. Never had one jam either.

Oh, and I'm taking one of my 7600's to elk camp in three weeks. Laugh all ya want! I know what works for me. If I don't get an elk, it won't be because of what I'm carrying! grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anyone that wants to shoot their custom rifles to 400 yards alongside Whelen Nut and his self-shucker in 270 will be in for a reasonably eye-opening (and sometimes humbling) experience. BTDT. blush blush blush laugh laugh

WWP53D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mark, you now need a practice rifle to go with that 35.
[Linked Image]
I picked up that 572 off Braindead in Ak for a pretty penny. But I'll tell you one thing. Once you get great on the 4" 50 yard plates with the 22, 8 inch plates at a hundred with my 06 is cake.
If you have a proble with the trigger get ahold of Redneck. I've been meaning to send both of mine there. But I can not miss with either so why bother.

Mags are spendy. I have no problem getting $50 out of a marked 35 mag. I sold one new never in the gun with the foil lined box for $75 on here in less than a hour.

If or when you sell the 35, it's mine!!!!
Post some dam pics!!

Want To Buy;
Form die for a 7mm Mashburn Super.
.284 Hornady AMax 162gr.
.224 Hornady AMax 75gr.
22-250 bushing die
Bushing die that will work with the 7mm Mashburn Super
A couple Glock 42 380ACP mags
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Anybody ever wonder why a guy with a name like 'Savage 99' is always bashing push feeds? Who has ever seen a CRF Savage 99?

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

124 members (3333vl, 44mc, 7887mm08, 308ld, 35, 12 invisible), 1,507 guests, and 866 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,749
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.