Print Thread
Hop To
#9195324 09/21/14
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I figure if anybody knows how to do this, it's you backpack guys!

I want to:

1. Take a GPS device that has satellite/topo maps into the woods. When I see something I want to go back to, or see how it fits in with the greater landscape. I want to make a waypoint. I then want to be able to look at that waypoint on my large computer screen on google earth or other sat image software that will let me do other stuff like plan entry points for favorable winds, cross- reference with my local tax map to see who owns the neighboring property, etc.

2. From my computer I want to be able to pinpoint interesting things in the woods to investigate, transfer that waypoint to a handheld device, and use said device to walk to the interesting thing I found.

I had exactly what I wanted on my iphone. Trimble GPS hunt was awesome, but either my iphone GPS took a dump or there software now has an issue with iOS. Either way, the gps waypoints I record on my phone are wildly inaccurate and their support basically told me there was nothing they could do.

So I assume I need to buy a gps. Will I be able to do what I want if I buy a garmin GPS? Are there other brands or devices I should consider?

Last edited by smalljawbasser; 09/21/14.
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Try some GPS FORUMS?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I use Gaia GPS on the iPhone. It works great for what you want on iOS 7. I just updated to iOS 8 and it seems to be working fine.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Darktimber
I use Gaia GPS on the iPhone. It works great for what you want on iOS 7. I just updated to iOS 8 and it seems to be working fine.

that looks like exactly what i'm looking for. have you ever thought you'd be better off with a GPS? every have any GPS accuracy issues?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by smalljawbasser
I figure if anybody knows how to do this, it's you backpack guys!

I want to:

1. Take a GPS device that has satellite/topo maps into the woods. When I see something I want to go back to, or see how it fits in with the greater landscape. I want to make a waypoint. I then want to be able to look at that waypoint on my large computer screen on google earth or other sat image software that will let me do other stuff like plan entry points for favorable winds, cross- reference with my local tax map to see who owns the neighboring property, etc.

2. From my computer I want to be able to pinpoint interesting things in the woods to investigate, transfer that waypoint to a handheld device, and use said device to walk to the interesting thing I found.

I had exactly what I wanted on my iphone. Trimble GPS hunt was awesome, but either my iphone GPS took a dump or there software now has an issue with iOS. Either way, the gps waypoints I record on my phone are wildly inaccurate and their support basically told me there was nothing they could do.

So I assume I need to buy a gps. Will I be able to do what I want if I buy a garmin GPS? Are there other brands or devices I should consider?

I use a Garmin 550 Oregon with a 24k topo and land owner chip in it. It is extremely helpful when out in the woods. It's nice knowing where all the private land boundaries, BLM, National forest, state land, etc. etc. are. Garmin uses a free software called basecamp with google earth. I rarely use this free service from Garmin, but it's there if you need it. The 550 Oregon also has a camera on it, so you can take pictures with it and store them as waypoints. You may also want to do a review on the new garmin 600, as I've heard good things about them...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If your GPS is a Garmin, download their Basecamp program. It will work with your GPS to do all of that.
This company makes great GPS maps: HUNT MAPS They show landowners names and about everything else you could want.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The first few trips I carried a dedicated GPS as a backup but eventually, after having no problems, I left the GPS at home. The iPhone has a better screen, slimmer profile, and less weight, which fits backpacking needs. Plus, it has many other uses like a camera or flashlight. Keeping it charged is the new issue. I have run through the gamut of chargers. I think the Tekkeon 1580 is the best solution currently.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Accuracy is spot on with the iPhone using Gaia GPS. I have never had any concerns or data glitches.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
thanks for all the help.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
just a little tinkering with GAIA so far, but it's awesome and exactly what i'm looking for.

you said you've tried a bunch of chargers, how about this one?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2EY0S62947

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just looked at the garmin site . I didn't notice the landowner thing on there did I miss it?

I Kill Things......deal with it..
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A few years ago using data back and forth with Google earth was hard if not impossible to do. They may have changed it up by now, but I have not checked. You can always find the Lat-Lon on Google and put a pin there. Be sure that your DD.MMSS settings match up. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by smalljawbasser
just a little tinkering with GAIA so far, but it's awesome and exactly what i'm looking for.

you said you've tried a bunch of chargers, how about this one?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2EY0S62947

I have some with the built in battery like that one and they are good. I prefer the option to use AA batteries that way I can add more if needed or use them in another device. The Tekkeon 1580 can charge rechargable batteries or use alkaline or lithium. The best part it can do that with either 2 batteries or 4 batteries. The 2-battery option could be helpful in a pinch.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (219DW, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 1minute, 160user, 1badf350, 67 invisible), 2,354 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,187
Posts18,503,347
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.