Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Originally Posted by stxhunter
when i'm hunting the strangest think that happens is i don't kill something.

Until some Wookie shows up unexpectedly and ruins your whole morning...

[Linked Image]

They, now, appear to be an almost exclusively urban species. The hunting woods may be our best refuge.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

[Linked Image]

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pahick
Only ever had one time I felt scared. I was watching a powerline in rifle season when I saw another hunter cross the powerline and head further back in the mountain. The whole time he crossed, he just stared at me. I thought maybe he knew me or something so I waived. He kept walking. Didnt think anything of it.

About 45 minutes later, he pops around a small bend above me and starts walking down the powerline. I noticed he had his chest kinda puffed up and holding his rifle with both hands instead of slung over his shoulder.

He was getting closer and I could hear him grumbling "f in cock suckers, sob'in mother fers" and hes again staring at me. I took the safety off my Abolt at that point and slid more against the tree with my right side, which really sucked cause it limited me ability to react quickly but it was my only way to protect the majority of my body as quick as I could.

He walked toward me and I pointed me gun at the ground but in his general direction. He yelled out "F you, its a whole skew of you mother fers back here" and shot me the finger. He kept goin down the mountain but would turn around every few feet.

What scared me the most was he was heading out the traul I came in on and where I was parked. I knew my dad was already at my vehicle and figured as pissed as this guybwas who knew what he'd do if he ran into my old man. So as soon as he turned into the woods trail I hauled ass through the woods parralelling him. I beat him out to the next powerline and could watch him getting closer to my vehicle, where dad was sitting.

Im not ashamed to say I had that sob in my scope the whole time he walked near dad. When he walked by i could see his lips move and he gave dad the finger, and I saw dad give him the finger back. Thank God he kept on movin cause it wouldnt have taken much to pull the trigger to protect my dad. Never had that happen before and hope I never run into someone like that again.

I would like to think I would have reacted the same way

admittedly I'm going to hesitate being confrontational with anyone angry and armed, even if I am armed, unless I have to be.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by flagstaff
I was hiking out of a canyon at night after elk hunting to my truck about a mile at the top of the canyon. It was pitch black, no moon, but I had a head lamp on. I heard something following me guessing about 40 yards behind me. Having trapped coyote and foxes, I figured that is what it was. So I stopped, yelled, and threw rocks toward it as they often trail people out of curiosity. So I kept walking. It continued to follow me. I did the yell and throw rocks thing again. I started walking again. I heard fairly large branches breaking behind me. At that point, I realized it was likely a mountain lion. That fricken thing followed me all the way back to my truck. It never quit following. I thought about shooting in the air to scare it, but I had partners waiting at the truck - they would have thought something was wrong and would have come looking for me.

Maybe it was Bigfoot... ;-)

Actually had a similar experience many years ago on the Naciemento River in central Calif. A buddy had a small cabin he let me use occasionally for hunting deer, pigs and quail. On one afternooon, while scouting, I came upon a fresh pig wallow and decided to stake it out until sunset in case any pigs returned. They didn't show, and it was just about dark when I started to hike out. As I rounded the first bend in the trail, my flashlight revealed an unsettling sight: very large kitty tracks on top of my tracks. That cat had followed me, left the trail just out of my sight and circled above the hill behind me, and had likely been watching me for some time. Just then the wind came up and started whipping the thick brush all around me so I wouldn't have heard a tank approaching. Then my flashlight died. It was a very long hike back to the cabin in the dark with my rifle on my hip... serious lesson learned that night about toting multiple lights.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
But the SCARIEST thing I ever saw was an old white guy streaking in front of my deer stand with a knife clinched between his teeth, wearing nothing but a leopard-print thong, screaming at the top of his lungs that he was going to win the Dink-a-Thon...

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K

[Linked Image]

He he.

wink

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Good job on the nutcase, P.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage
But the SCARIEST thing I ever saw was an old white guy streaking in front of my deer stand with a knife clinched between his teeth, wearing nothing but a leopard-print thong, screaming at the top of his lungs that he was going to win the Dink-a-Thon...

Ingwe, how de hail you gonna get a dink while a hollerin?

Last edited by eyeball; 09/22/14.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I was about 23 years old. First year coon hunting. as we were walking into the dogs that were treed, pitch black dark night, I heard the craziest sound in the trees above us. Really had no idea what it was but it was loud. Scared the hell out of me, but no one else seemed bothered by it. Ended up being a flock of turkeys that we scared off their roost.

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Nothing dramatically scary like some of y'all.

Only time I've been really, um, unhappy with a situation hunting was when a buddy and I walked into one of his uncle's raggedy plywood shooting houses early one morning near the beginning of the season. We weren't seriously hunting - just hanging out and drinking coffee while waiting to see if any meat walked in front of us.

As it got light, we could see 2 or 3 big old red wasp nests in the nooks and crannies of the boards holding the thing together. Maybe 30 big wasps and us in that little bitty room up on stilts. We carefully retreated and hoofed it on back to the house....

IC B3

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by Rovering
I've seen two quite strange sights deer hunting in quite remote areas.

I saw a very big and orderly square stack of large animal bones, the next morning, just beyond a camp that I got to and made after dark the night before.

On another deer hunting trip, long after elk season, as I still hunted along I saw an elk cow and large calf dead ahead just a few feet apart. After a careful approach in case something was guarding its kill, I could find no mark on either elk. The only tracks in the snow were elk and birds, and not even the birds had fed on the elk. I have no idea why two elk in apparent perfect condition would just drop dead, nor why the birds inspected but did not feed on the carcases.

They got hit by lightening. The birds didn't eat it cause the meat was overdone .

Very little ever happens where I hunt. I did have a bear kill tag in 1999 and alwaystried sneaking up on the bear when I came into the bait. One time it was raining so I thought for sure I would sneak up on one and whatch it. When I came up on th ebait pile there were fresh tracks. I stood there a few minutes to see if I could see some black going through the woods. As I looked down the bear track in the mud were full of water. I am sure I spooked the bear but was close. I never snuck up on a bear yet.

Also, one night in the Wis. muzzloader season, it was almost 10pm. Sitting in my rocking chair in the cabin. It is so quiet up there it is hard to believe. Almost asleep a timber wolf lets out a howl very close to the cabin. It was so loud I jumped clean out of the chair. I opened the door and then could hear young ones howling too. It was The wolves were at least 130 yds from the cabin . They run along the river in winter to hunt. Never thought a wolf could be so loud. Also, I saw a coyote chase a snowshoe, catching it righ tin front of me while bow hunting. I shot the yote with the bow but only wounded it. Not much huh??

Last edited by ihookem; 09/22/14.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by ihookem
Originally Posted by Rovering
I've seen two quite strange sights deer hunting in quite remote areas.

I saw a very big and orderly square stack of large animal bones, the next morning, just beyond a camp that I got to and made after dark the night before.

On another deer hunting trip, long after elk season, as I still hunted along I saw an elk cow and large calf dead ahead just a few feet apart. After a careful approach in case something was guarding its kill, I could find no mark on either elk. The only tracks in the snow were elk and birds, and not even the birds had fed on the elk. I have no idea why two elk in apparent perfect condition would just drop dead, nor why the birds inspected but did not feed on the carcases.

They got hit by lightening. The birds didn't eat it cause the meat was overdone .

That is as good of an explanation as any.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Besides humans there's really not much else if anything of a scary sort around here. I guess the potentially scariest thing I've happened on were the occasional old open well and cistern around long ago deserted grown over old homesteads. Luckily I've managed to see them before it was too late.

One well I remember was out in the middle of an open crop field a short ways from an old falling down derelict barn and a pecan tree. The well opening itself was about 3 feet across but over the years the dirt around it had formed sort of a slick funnel circling the well out a couple more feet. The well walls were brick or stone covered with slick moss. No idea how deep it really was. Even when the crops were gone it was still hard to tell it was there until you were almost right beside it. You'd never know it was there with a little growth of soybeans or corn.

I had to fish a neighbors beagle out of it one time when I was picking up pecans from the pecan tree one day late in the year. The poor goofy dog was running loose sniffing and pissing on everything decided to follow me. Next thing I knew it was down in the well splashing and swimming in circles and yipping. We had had a lot of rain recently so the well was full enough that I was just barely able to reach the dog and snatch it up by its neck and sling it out as far as I could over my shoulder. I wondered how many other animals met their end in old wells and cisterns. If a person fell in I doubt anybody could hear them holler for help.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One I remember well was sleeping on the ground, no tent, about 30 years ago. 35 miles s of flagstaff. I was deer hunting, by myself. I had made camp 100 yards off the road against a range fence. (fence was about 25 feet behind camp) . walked a lot of country, had a big feed, and turned in about 8, to get up and hit it again early in the morning.

Woke up in the middle of the night, from a dead sleep, to the sounds of hooves pounding, getting closer and closer. more than one animal was running right down the fence line, right toward me. I still couldn't see them, but I couldn't lay there any longer. I sat up in my sleeping bag and grabbed my pistol, ready for I don't know what.

Camp was in a little limestone draw, about 100 feet across, the rims were about 20-30 feet high.

Right when I sat up, the deer, or elk, whatever they were, ran through camp across the draw and up the other side. Just then I heard the worst scream I ever heard in my life. I know what blood-curdling means now, and I get goose-bumps typing this . Right on the rim, something screamed again, and I stood straight up, popped off 3 rounds right at where I thought the lion was, and started hollering for all I was worth. I popped off another 3 and hollered some more.

I built up the fire, after that. blush grin

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nov. 2010, the wife and I were heading to town here in north Idaho. We have about 15 miles of gravel over a mountain pass to get to the highway.

It was late afternoon and the light was sketchy..... a whiteout had just hit as we crested the pass and headed down out of the heavy firs and into more farm country. I saw a massive 6x6 whitetail out of the corner of my eye, but couldn't avoid hitting the old buck with my Toyota tundra. The impact was fierce for a deer.

I pulled over to check on the animal and truck and when I went back to examine the large buck, it charged me and pinned me to the ground when I slipped in the deepening snow. I was in dress shoes, dress shirt with a sport coat!
He was bleeding out the mouth but still meant to gore me to death.... I managed to grab his large rack, but i realized that even at 6'5" 230, breaking his neck with brute strength wasn't going to happen. The thing was huge and going all out on adrenalin.
Once or twice I tried to get up and just get away but the damn thing would full on charge me again. Finally we ended up in the ditch on the side of the road literally wrapped in old, loose barbed wire and I managed to grab my leather man 'juice' out of my pocket.
I managed to cut his throat with the pathetic two inch blade, with that massive neck it was ridiculous. The buck finally expired.

We had weak cell service, but I called our local f&g guy, a decent bloke, and I explained to him exactly what happened and what should I do with the animal. He asked if I had a valid buck tag, I said "yes", he said "congratulations, tag the animal if you'd like to take it; enjoy the venison, I hope your truck fixes up".
So, I tagged the beast, got him in the bed of the truck, called a neighbor who towed us home.
$6500 damage, numerous cuts, bruises and scrapes all over my body--many from that damned rusty barbed wire--and a 230lb whitetail.

He clearly would have died from the impact, it was obvious when skinning, but it still amazes me the strength and determination of that crazy deer.
The big rack hangs on the wall....it makes for quite the story.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
walking off a ridge after deer hunting real late one evening, you could barely see and i heard the weardest noise ive ever herd to my left, i turned and saw a blk bear 25yds from me. i drew my 44mag as i backed away. Lucky for both us he hent the other way.

Once rigeing 4wheelers about 2 miles up a dirt rd i came across a guy so i stopped to see if he was ok. best i can figure he decided he wanted my 4wheeler and he kept tryin his best to get me to follow him off into the woods. he was standing in front holding onto the rack of my wheeler. Finally i told him i needed to leave he said No your gonna get off and come with me.As unholsterd my beretta 96 and layd it on my lap i said No im I'm fixing to drive away.Thank god he changed his mind and let go and i drove off without haveing to take steps farther

Last edited by Nate40; 09/23/14.

Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Nate40

Once rigeing 4wheelers about 2 miles up a dirt rd i came across a guy so i stopped to see if he was ok. best i can figure he decided he wanted my 4wheeler and he kept tryin his best to get me to follow him off into the woods. he was standing in front holding onto the rack of my wheeler. Finally i told him i needed to leave he said No your gonna get off and come with me.As i unholsterd my beretta 96 and rested it on my leg. I said No im fixing to drive away Thank god he got the memo and let go and i drove off without haveing to take steps farther

That's some creepy chit. Good thing you were packing that Beretta.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Originally Posted by Nate40

Once rigeing 4wheelers about 2 miles up a dirt rd i came across a guy so i stopped to see if he was ok. best i can figure he decided he wanted my 4wheeler and he kept tryin his best to get me to follow him off into the woods. he was standing in front holding onto the rack of my wheeler. Finally i told him i needed to leave he said No your gonna get off and come with me.As i unholsterd my beretta 96 and rested it on my leg. I said No im fixing to drive away Thank god he got the memo and let go and i drove off without haveing to take steps farther

That's some creepy chit. Good thing you were packing that Beretta.

Maybe he wasn't gonna steal your 4 wheeler, maybe he was just gonna show you a good time!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
No means No.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Don't. Stop. Don't Stop. don'tstopdon'tstopdon'tstop.....

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (12344mag, 1Longbow, 06hunter59, 160user, 1minute, 007FJ, 60 invisible), 2,091 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,044
Posts18,482,190
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.