Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks for the info., surprisingly light for a walnut stock.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by justin10mm
But you know what they say about opinions and ass holes.

Yup, ass hole opinions sound a lot like this:

Originally Posted by justin10mm
If you can't carry a 9 pound rifle up a mountain, keep your fat ass off the mountain.

K
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
I think we are going with a Savage Bear Hunter in .300 Win.

I agree on the Mel Forbes rifles though. It's his purchase, not mine. I have no problem spending good money on a great rifle. You can only shoot one at a time, so make it count.

If anyone knows where to track one of these down, let me know, please. I posted in the classifieds.

K
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
Oh, and Texas idiot, I'll elaborate a bit for you. You all (or y'all) do something once in your lives and consider yourselves experts, this guy is not a fat ass. He does mountain bike races in the MOUNTAINS on the weekends. Hard to do that and be a fat ass, jackass.

And you wonder why everyone hates Texans out West.

Last edited by kscowboy01; 09/28/14.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
ks, I hunted with a guy just like that this year. He packed a load of elk meat off the mountain I could barely lift off the ground, and that ain't because I'm small.

Strangely enough, guys like that seem to understand the value of lightweight gear.....

Good luck to y'all.

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Boy you Coloradans are a touchy bunch. I was making a general statement of my opinion (how ever wrong it may be) on people fretting over every ounce on their gun when most would be better served loosing a pound or two from around their gut.

If you think I was specifically singling your friend out I am sorry.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Losing weight on your gut is nothing like losing weight from a rifle.

Go play with your carburetor.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calvin
Originally Posted by cwh2
Unless something has changed in the last 5 years... smile

One of the complaints about the T3 is that there is one action size, from 223 to 300Win.

What's the Kimber 280ai come in at with a scope for weight? I seem to recall my Kimber 7wsm being 7.5 with a 6x.

7 even with 6x, and 7.5 with SS 3-9.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by redfoxx
The only time you feel the recoil is at the bench� go .300 Win Mag all day and twice on Sundays� they don't have all that much recoil anyway� and the extra downrange energy is appreciated at extended distances on big animals. Rem 700 in .300 Wn Mag and he'll never need another rifle in his life for big game.

The only place you develop a flinch is at the bench.

Bad advice..

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Savage_99
For rough country backpacking consider a take down rifle.

There are a few break-open single shots that can serve as travel rifles. A couple versions are even available as a cased set with a quick detachable scope and mount. The Franz Jager break-action Merkel K3 Stutzen and the very similar Blaser K95 Stutzen, both made in Germany, come to mind. From U.S. manufacturers we have the H&R/NEF Hand-Rifle and Thompson/Center Encore and G2 Contender break-open actions.

[Linked Image]

WTF?

Further proves my sig line...

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
redfox
There is an ongoing thread with a quote of some professional hunters in Africa saying essentially that 2/3 of the clients that show up with 300 Magnums can't shoot them. Guides frequently post on here about clients that show up with Magnum rifles that can't shoot them. The Army has done studies that show that most men cannot tolerate recoil above that of a 30/06 with heavier bullets. Working the sight in day at the gun range, most people (probably above 80 %, certain way above 50%) that showed up with rifles of 7 Magnum or larger could not shoot them well enough to sight them in adequately. In over twenty years of seeing an average of 5 hunters a year come to hunting camp, not one magnum toter has killed an elk. The elk were killed with 7/08s, 270's and 30/06 class rifles.
To advise a newbee to purchase a 300 Magnum in a light rifle is ludicrous, and I can't imagine an experience shooter/hunter not knowing better.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Originally Posted by redfoxx
The only time you feel the recoil is at the bench� go .300 Win Mag all day and twice on Sundays� they don't have all that much recoil anyway� and the extra downrange energy is appreciated at extended distances on big animals. Rem 700 in .300 Wn Mag and he'll never need another rifle in his life for big game.

The only place you develop a flinch is at the bench.

Bad advice..

Both of you silly MOFO's are too stupid to live.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
In Colorado there ain't much that will bite you or fight back. I would recommend a Tikka T3 in 6.5x55. Will kill all the elk you want and they tend to be very accurate.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

Both of you silly MOFO's are too stupid to live.

If stupidity disqualified people, your post would be nothing short of miraculous.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
...the Kimber Montana 84Ms can be trimmed to 5 pounds even (before scope and rings of course) with just about $150 which gets you sub 6 pounds all up.....

I seem to remember you had Kevin Weaver lighten yours up? Do you recall what all he did? Thanks.

Correct, Kevin did some work to mine....cut and recrowned the barrel, skeltonized the action, and built an aluminum trigger guard. Right at 4 pounds 13 oz for the rifle now, which is 2 oz lighter than the obnoxious colored mountain ascent wink Of course I had my brother duracoat mine to give it a bit more personal touch.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
What length was it chopped to?

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
20" barrel...the new Ascents are only 20.5" or so plus a muzzle break so they aren't even true 22" like they list

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I could never argue that a smaller cartridge might be, and actually is the better solution but a lot of folks with opinions about lighter 300's have never shot one.

Not directed at anyone, just a statement.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
6mmWASP, agreed!

I have a 325 WSM that is under 6 pounds scoped and shoots 200 grainers at 2800 fps....its not as pleasant to shoot as a lot of my rifles but some how we still manage to kill animals just fine with this ultralights. For a new shooter I wouldn't suggest it as these are very purpose built rifles, but if one gets to the point where they find a lighter rifle and can still shoot it accurately to harvest animals quickly then I don't see the problem.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I just spent the last week lugging a Tikka T3 lite around the Sawtooth area and will spend next week doing the same around Salmon,Id. The altitudes aren't bad but they are pretty steep. I am old and feeble and find a light, well balanced rifle to be amazing. I also tried one of those hook thingys that go on the pack strap to hold your sling in place and I like it a lot better than my kifaru Gunbearer. Weight of the rifle does make a significant difference in how you enjoy your days in the steep stuff.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

179 members (3333vl, 1eyedmule, 10Glocks, 160user, 2UP, 44mc, 15 invisible), 1,581 guests, and 964 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,779
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.