Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
My interests are leaning toward the .243 Winchester lately, as I have never owned one before. Seems that I read and hear a lot about it being great for "beginners," "youth," and "lady hunters"

I'm sure this is a formidable cartridge for "seasoned adult men" as well, I just know very little about this round.

I would love to hear more about this chambering from hunters who use this round on big game, particularly, whitetail. Tell me about the advantages/disadvantages of using it for whitetail hunting. Any favorite bullets that work better than others? , etc...

School me please, and thank you.

I won't drink the swirled Kool-Aid
.....well, maybe, if it looks like wood
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 243 is my go to deer cartridge. Anyone who thinks its for trick shots or just for children needs to stop allowing themselves to be brainwashed and stop watching reality tv because it's making them dumber. A deer shot in the front half from a 243 isn't long for this world. Deer ain't hard to kill and a 95 nosler BT will kill in short order with excellent penetration.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
i love the 243. just bought one actually. a remington 700. when i first started hunting i used my dads old browning blr 243 and took a pile of deer using the 80gr winchester powerpoints. i have 2 boxes of hornady interlocks 100gr ima try out this season

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 243 ONLY kills deer when fired by boys and women. It bounces off game when used by grown men.......

If you use a good bullet, thru vitals, you will dull your knife.

Otherwise, it's on you, not the round.

U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
Any favorite bullet recommendations?

I won't drink the swirled Kool-Aid
.....well, maybe, if it looks like wood
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H4350 and 95 NBT does the body good.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
95 Nosler BTip
85 Hornady Interbond
95 Nosler Partition
100 Hornady BTSP

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Shot 4 deer with my 243...,they were all 1 shot kills, all whitetails, all seemed to be as dead as other whitetails I shot w/ a 30-30, 35Rem, 308 & 30-06

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
If you don't load, the fed fusions have done VERY well on deer for me, out past 250, and up close.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Was never interested until the runt's grandpa bought him one.

Last year he took a decent 8pt with it. Hornady Whitetail ammo. 100 gr Inter-something.

I'm reloading for it now - worked up a decent load of H4350 under a 105 Amax. Peach to shoot off the bench and pretty danged accurate. Enough that I'm giving serious thought to getting one myself.

Me

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I started hunting Whitetails with a .243 some 40 years ago, and still do from time to time. But mine mostly gets used by my nieces & nephews nowadays here on the Ranch.

I've litterally killed a truck load of does, bucks, and feral hogs with mine over the years. And with just about ever .243 bullet available. And no telling how many coyotes, too.
For factory ammo, it's really hard to beat the cheap Factory Reminton Corelock load with their 100 grain bullet. Or the Hornaday Whitetail Load with their 95gr SST.

It's still one of my favorite all around Calibers, and won't ever be without one. Great Antelope and varmit cartridge, also.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 09/22/14.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by woodson
The 243 is my go to deer cartridge. Anyone who thinks its for trick shots or just for children needs to stop allowing themselves to be brainwashed and stop watching reality tv because it's making them dumber. A deer shot in the front half from a 243 isn't long for this world. Deer ain't hard to kill and a 95 nosler BT will kill in short order with excellent penetration.

H4350 and 95 NBT does the body good.

This is the straight stuff right here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Chl, isn't the Hornady Whitetail the 100g BTSP Interlock?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 1tnhunter
Chl, isn't the Hornady Whitetail the 100g BTSP Interlock?

Sorry, your right. I was thinking of their SuperPerformance loading I shoot in my 6mm. It is loaded with the 95 grain SST bullet.

Thanks for correcting me.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I've killed quite a few deer with one and seen even more taken with one. I love the cartridge. Never the first complaint. I might get another one just because....

If you're disappointed it won't be the cartridges fault.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
now we need someone to say that they prefer cartridges with more "knockdown power."

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
105gr Speer Hot Core works very well as does the 100gr Nosler SB-if you can find any, that is.

Kids rifle? I don't think so. Good for old pharts too, who don't like to deal with much recoil. grin

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I'm way past the kid stage. My beard has more salt than pepper, and a day's growth could probably knock slag off welds, but I like my 243. grin

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Funny, I was just looking at a Montana on GB in.... Yep, .243. I'm going to loose my 7x57 here in a year to my boy, so I'm going to need to replace it with something. I'm thinking it will be a .243.

Camp is where you make it.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by n8dawg6
now we need someone to say that they prefer cartridges with more "knockdown power."

Well OKAY...

I prefer something with more Knock Down Power.... grin

such as the 6mm/08 Winchester....

or the 6mm Remington... whistle

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
The 6mm Remington, now you are talking a mans rifle. I get at least 35 fps more with that rifle than any 243!

I get 3400 fps with 80 gr ttsx out of my marlin 243, with .75 moa groups. I am fairly sure it will kill any deer I point it at to farther distances than I will be able to shoot on my place.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My 'first' gun was a Savage 99 in .243. Took a pile of deer with that rifle and still have it. It was 'replaced' by a Model 600 in 243 that continued stacking meat. The 600 will go to my Grandson as soon as he's old enough to handle it (he's 4.5 now).

Favorite load is with IMR 4064 and 95 NBT or CTBT. 5-shot group out of the 600 =

[Linked Image]

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have had several .243s, and have rarely been without one since the mid '70s. I finally settled on THE one about 25, or more,years ago. It has one flaw, which I choose to ignore. It is a Browning Safari on the small ring Mauser action (long action-the flaw) with the pencil barrel. It is accurate. Many years ago, I had a thin jacket bullet come apart. Back then the only real answer was Nosler Partition, so I went with the 100 grain near 3000 fps for deer and pigs. I went with a 70 grain at about 3450 for coyotes and such. I have never had reason to change.

My rifle, zeroed at 100 with the 70 grain, throws the 100 exactly three inches higher and on the same vertical plane. I zero 100s and hold under for the lightweights, so I don't screw with the turrets. a LRD or B&C reticle would be ideal. I'm cheap and have not needed a new scope lately. Seems like coyote, fox, and bobcats are more targets of opportunity while loaded with 100s, so I do not use many 70S.

In the years since my "bad bullet" there have been lots of improvements in bullet technology and there are lots of good strong bullets out there now. Even the 100 NP is more streamlined than it once was.

I'm too old to climb mountains anymore. Mule deer, whitetails, pigs and varmints of opportunity are likely the menu. My .243 returns to the top of my bolt gun list this year. BTW, if you run into a nice 99F Savage (the lightweight model) they are known to be good shooters.

Best wishes,

jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
If you don't load, the fed fusions have done VERY well on deer for me, out past 250, and up close.

I can vouch for that factory offering as well. I will say I've yet to shoot a deer with a .243 past 150 yrds. generally most have been right at 100 yrds with a couple a lot closer and a couple near the 150 mark. it works and I have had complete pass through on all of them.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've killed 3 with a 243 all pretty much dead within 5-10 yds of impact. Longest shot was right at 200 yds from my 77RSI. It is the only bullet I have ever recovered, a rem. 100gr corelokt thru both shoulders & a perfect mushroom under the hide on the off side. It looked just like the magazine ads. I believe it weighed right at 80 gr + or -.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
At one point in time I was reloading for five or six .243 bolt rifles in the family. 95gr Nosler Partition over a middling load of Varget gave good accuracy (MOA +/-) in all of the rifles. Between myself, daughter, son, son-in-law, grand kids, killed several dozen KY White Tails with the .243. Didn't a single one bounce off. Don't recall that we ever caught one.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by UncleSoapy

Killed dozens of deer with a .243 in the old days. Fave bullet was the Hornady 100 grainer ( flat base) Nowadays the campfire guys have talked me into the 95 NBT, so I'll be giving it a try this fall, and next spring on Axis.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't think Hornady makes that flat base bullet anymore. What made it better than the BTSP?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a sako a7 being ai punched as we speak and will be loading 95gr classic bergers for deer. It's my wife's gun but I sure enjoy carrying the light little package.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
.243 and Whitetail deer are like biscuits and gravy� made for each other� not to mention the fact that the .243 has enabled a lot of the same over the years..

God Bless America!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I don't think Hornady makes that flat base bullet anymore. What made it better than the BTSP?

I like flat base bullets as I really don't have a lot of opportunities at extended ranges where the boat tail might offer advantage and it seems to me that boat tails tend to shed their jackets more than the flat bases.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by bangeye

I like flat base bullets as I really don't have a lot of opportunities at extended ranges where the boat tail might offer advantage and it seems to me that boat tails tend to shed their jackets more than the flat bases.

grin
Never really considered the ass having much to do with jacket shedding, but the either works fine to 300, in the .243. Heck, good bullets turn a .223 into good deer medicine. They turn a .243 into a 30-06, with the POS bullets often used 30 years ago...and nobody complained.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lots of good advice - had kills from 70 TNT varmint bullets thru 100 Partitions. My #1 fave is 95 ballistic tip. Second is 80/85 Barnes.

All work but best w bullets that expand controlled n retain weight n hold together.
That ensures max wound channel THRU vitals.

Bullets like a TNT can splatter or say a 105 Amax ESP at close range and/or heavy bone.
Careful shot placement on head/neck or lungs will result in quick death. Botched placement can wound.

Not used yet but a 90 Swift Scirocco should be a great all around slug too.

243s have light recoil n blast, and tend to be very accurate n flat - maximizing shot placement.

Bad experiences tend to come from a poor bullet choice and/or sloppy shooting.

Originally Posted by UncleSoapy

Last edited by 65BR; 09/23/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here in the deep south, deer can't stand the .243..

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I just started using the 243 this deer season which started a month ago here in S.C. Have taken four deer so far with the 95bt. Two dropped on the spot, one ran 20 yards and one ran 45. The one that ran the furthest I had to shoot left handed and shot him mid ribs. It's a fun gun to shoot. I've not seen any blood on the runners so far and that worries me but I'll keep using it to see if it becomes a problem in the very thick areas I hunt. I think it kills as well as any caliber but might not leave as much blood.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I worried about that, at first. However, the .243 has caused some of the most gruesome bleedouts I've ever seen, also. Fact is, higher than midline, from a low/flat angle, and I've seen sparse blood with everything you can think of, even supermags and 45-70s. High angles, below the midline, and pass throughs bleed, no matter what.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
My old "Veteran" Uncles from both sides have been killing deer and pigs with the 243 Winchester and 6MM Remington since I was a pup, and exclusively using the 100 gr Partitions at 2900 fps for the last 25+ years.

Not one single complaint I've heard.

Trump Won!
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
what bullet were u using when u say there wasnt much blood. i had great blood trails with the 80gr powerpoints. deer never went out of sight but i remember there was a good bit of blood

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I was using the 95bt from Nosler; it kills well. I just did not see a bloodtrails on the two that ran. One bullet did not exit, the rest did. Hope to have some more results this weekend.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
i used the 130gr nbt in my 270 2 seasons ago. killed 3 bucks that year and no blood trails at all. i always get blood trails with the soft points tho

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I am not a big fan myself. Kills them dead but always had to track them.. Used the 06 before and had always dumped them where the stand.. Had better results with the 257 Roberts than the 243. But with the bullets they make today may preform better..

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Use enough bullet.

First elk for the boy, the tenth elk for the 243 and 100gr NPt's.
Since then he's killed another elk--both of them at 300+ yds.
[Linked Image]

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
15 Tennessee whitetails have fallen to my 243s. I prefer Hornady 100 gr interlock flat base bullets over a charge just under max. Powders preferred in my rifles would be IMR 4350 and Varget. The flat base bullets are slightly more accurate in my rifles. All have been 1 shot kills and 7 dropped in tracks. None traveled more than 50 yards. Shot placement is most important with 243. Meat loss is minimal and that is important since venison is our primary meat for the year. I am after the tender 2 year old, not the tough 7 yr old that you will seldom see in Tennessee.
None of the deer were shot at over 200 yards. I self impose a 250 yard limit on shooting deer with 243. There is considerable energy drop off after 200 yds and I will only fire when I am confident of fatal heart cavity hits. The caliber is capable of long range accuracy but not with the energy of larger calibers.
A wounded deer traveling hundreds of yards might be on private land where there is no permission to hunt.

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
For 48 years; Rams, deer, pronghorns, and a big bunch of predators fell victim without incident. I'll never badmouth a 6mm.

smile

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
IME my .243 kills quicker than my 7mm-08 & 30-06. My son and I both have a .243 and load 100gr Corelokts. We never had a reason to change. All of my shots have been under 100 yards. My son shot a doe in NC at a longer distance and his buddies asked what he was using after looking at the damage. He told them "my dad's load" (100gr Corelokt, 46gr H450, and a Win primer) and they told him to tell me to back it off some. The damage to my deer were "eat up to the holes". grin

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Back to factory ammo. For the last many years, I have had exceptional success with accuracy and terminal performance with the cheapest (blue box, these days) version of Federal ammo. This is especially so in my .308. Half to five eights groups of three are the norm. Reports from others about different calibers, makes me want to try them.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Dave,

I had a buddy that swears by the 100 Core-lokt (and another that swears by the 100 grain Pro Hunter). I will have to try both before the season goes out.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Dave,

Forgot to add that my buddy that shoots the Core-lokts said he believed his 243 with Core-Lokts killed deer faster than any other rifle he had ever used except a 300 Win Mag with 150 grain Core-Lokts. Interesting that you think yours kills them faster than other larger calibers too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by vabowhntr
The 6mm Remington, now you are talking a mans rifle. I get at least 35 fps more with that rifle than any 243!

I get 3400 fps with 80 gr ttsx out of my marlin 243, with .75 moa groups. I am fairly sure it will kill any deer I point it at to farther distances than I will be able to shoot on my place.

Ha! I got ya!!! I'm getting 3415 fps out of my 243 with the 80 gr TTSX and 46.8 grs of Hunter.

Goofy aka graybird on other forums

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
IME my .243 kills quicker than my 7mm-08 & 30-06. My son and I both have a .243 and load 100gr Corelokts. We never had a reason to change. All of my shots have been under 100 yards. My son shot a doe in NC at a longer distance and his buddies asked what he was using after looking at the damage. He told them "my dad's load" (100gr Corelokt, 46gr H450, and a Win primer) and they told him to tell me to back it off some. The damage to my deer were "eat up to the holes". grin

Pretty much my experience, too. I've had more bang-flops with a 243 than with a 223, 30-30, 270, 7-08 and 44 mag. I can't explain it, but it just works. Most of my dozen or so 243 kills have been with a 100 gr. Partition or a 100 gr Sierra Game King.

After using a 243 for 20 years with so much success I have to wonder why I ever spent the money on a 7-08.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by imgoofy
Originally Posted by vabowhntr

Ha! I got ya!!! I'm getting 3415 fps out of my 243 with the 80 gr TTSX and 46.8 grs of Hunter.

Mine likes Barnes 85s. Very effective on deer.

[Linked Image]

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
243 winchester = death and destruction

FJB
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
You guyre killin me, geting the 7mm-08 ready to go and now all this 243 talk. Have a bunch of Hornady and Speer RN's at 100 and 105 grains that I bet would do the trick

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Funny how the .243 got badmouthed 30 yrs ago. First time I heard of a guy useing it on deer I thought the old man was nuts. Went on to say he has about 20 bucks in northern Wis and none went anywhere. Used a Hornady 87 gr bullet . Even got a 300 lb bear with it. Might be in the bullets these days but it was a 30-06 for deer cause a 30-30 was just on the small side. My only experience with a .243 was 5 yrs ago when my son, Chas used one on a youth hunt . I was nervous it wasn't enough gun but it was all he could handle. A big doe broadside at 60 yds . He shoots it farther forward than the front shoulder and it went 50 ft. I was very imporessed. We used a Speer 100 gr boattail.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
80 GMX and 80 TTSX from my 243 for deer and so far it's been great.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
I am not a big fan myself. Kills them dead but always had to track them.. Used the 06 before and had always dumped them where the stand.. Had better results with the 257 Roberts than the 243. But with the bullets they make today may preform better..

The 100 grain Partition in the 243 and the 115 grain Partition in the Roberts have both given me similarly outstanding results. I have more experience with the Roberts, but when I have been able to take out at least one shoulder it's DRT with either. That's very important to me in the thick dark woods and fading light conditions I normally hunt in.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Over the years I have used 30/30 30-06 7mmRM 280 Rem 7-08 Rem 8mm Mauser 303 British and the 243 Win on whitetail. I have had deer run off with no blood trail on everyone of those calibers at one time or another and in every case it was because I hit high. My longest run on a deer I shot was with a 30-06 at about 70 yards and I took the heart out. The dang thing ran a full 100 yards on a dead run. Now days I don't care what I shoot anymore, I just use the round within it's capabilities and put it in the proper location.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Last year i took my 1st deer with a 243. i had zero doubt in the rifle that evening when I went out for the hunt. My 243 is a Sako LH bolt action and the rifle/load combo shoots 1/2 moa. It did a wonderful job on a 3x3 white tail buck. I couldn't be happier. Normally I am a 270/7mm Mag/300 RUM user. This year I'm leaving the big gear home and will be hunting with either my 243 Sako or my 6mm Ruger #1.
i would love to take a nice mulely with the #1.
good hunting to all this fall,

-----

Chopaka
Snohomish Co, WA
NRA Life Member
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

664 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 16penny, 70 invisible), 3,290 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,484
Posts18,471,837
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.