Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
hidalgo Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Is it ever necessary to to do a second application of Dyna Bore Coat? I have a 30-06 that installed Bore Coat on and after firing 10-12 rounds cleaning twice and just recently 25 rounds it still has significant copper fouling. I used the J-B compound cleaning method as Sweets 7.62 so I believe all fouling was removed before installation. I also installed it in two other rifles at the same time that were difficult to clean and it made a significant difference with them.

I just a acquired a Hawkeye Borescope so if I reinstall I will know for sure the bore is clean before application.

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, sometimes it s necessary to install DBC more than once.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
H
hidalgo Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Mr. Barsness,

Thanks for the quick reply. I just purchased some of your books and have completed the Rifle Looney News, I greatly enjoyed it and look forward to reading the others.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks very much!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yeah, sometimes it s necessary to install DBC more than once.

Mule Deer, Hate to be a pain. laugh (yeah right), but how do you get it out if it degrades accuracy? Never been fully explained. Still reminds me of Moly.

Swifty
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
JB Compound will take it out--apparently. I've never removed it, since I've never had accuracy change in any of my rifles.

How does it remind you of moly?

John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Does anyone know if DBC expires/goes bad? I have some in its unopened packaging that's been in a mostly hot garage for 18 months.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a 338 magnum that that has always been prone to copper fouling. After using Dyna bore coat, I still experienced substantial fouling. I contacted the company and was told that the few times that they have experienced unsuccessful results it was usually with rifles above 30 caliber. I was told to try double coating. I did this without shooting between coatings. I am still seeing some fouling but it is not nearly as bad as before and it is easily removed.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Interesting about the larger bores being harder to successfully treat with DBC.

TexasPhotog,

I've never lost a batch, but have read that it does have a shelf life. Seems their new packaging and the material the bottles are made of help extend shelf life. I'd open your bottle and see how it looked. If it seemed OK and was still in clear liquid form, I'd use it.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I believe that keeping it in a refrigerator will prolong the shelf life, at least I recall reading a post of MD's regarding that. Perhaps he can weigh in to verify that or not.

With the old packaging I opened a bottle and used it on three rifles, then closed it tightly and put it away. When I went to use it again some several months later all that was left was a little piece of silicate looking stuff, basically concentrated bore coat.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
TexasPhotog,

If it's in a metal bottle, then it's probably OK--though after opening the bottle it would be best to refrigerate it, as Jim in Idaho suggests. In fact that's what the DBC people suggest. They started putting it in metal bottles after the original plastic bottles proved prone to evaporation of the liquid glue.

My present batch is at least a couple years old, and still good, even though I've used it on at least 10 rifles.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
DBC reminds me of all the moly claims, and of this stuff and a few more which are off the market but made the same claims

http://www.sentrysolutions.com/APL03.html

Swifty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have you tried DBC?

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Swifty,

Well, there are some significant differences between DBC and those other products. First, DBC is not moly. Instead it's essentially tiny particles of ceramic in a quick-drying liquid glue. It's actually more closely related to Cerakote than loose moly molecules. After installation, DBC becomes part of the bore, for the life of the bore.

Unlike moly, nobody has claimed improved accuracy, longer barrel life, or lower pressures. Instead all that's been claimed for DBC is less fouling and easier cleaning, whether of rifles, handguns, shotguns or muzzleloaders. Oh, and it also protects the bore against corrosion, because of thin ceramic layer.

Also unlike moly, no barrel company refuses to guarantee their barrels if DBC is installed. In fact, some muzzleloader factories are installing it in barrels.

I tested an early version a decade ago, both with my bore-scope and shooting. DBC met all the claims. I've since installed it dozens of barrels, and it's worked every time. It allows my varmint rifles to go hundreds of rounds of firing without cleaning and still shoot as accurately--and when I finally do clean them, it's far easier.

Other Campfire members have reported similar experiences, one reason sales of DBC have increased every year for a decade.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
IME, some rifles require firing & cleaning 3-4 times after coating with DBC before the fouling pretty much stops or is greatly minimized.

But it could also be a less than ideal job in the 1st place too..........I've done more than a half dozen rifles & have never re-coated, though.

Not all rifles are equally easy to prevent complete fouling, but all are significantly easier to clean after DBC.

YMMV

MM

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Those who use Hawkeye bore scopes can better appreciate before and after copper fouling.

DF

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Instead of double coating the larger bores, I used a chamber plug and poured the DBC down the muzzle. I hold a rubber pad on the muzzle while I hold the rifle upside down and back right side up for few minutes each. Turn it right side up, removed the rubber pad and poured the DBC back into the bottle. This will give a heavier coating than using a patch. I think it is faster too. This is the method I now use on all calibers. Be careful when you pour the DBC in. It does not take as much as you might think on the smaller bores. Ask me how I know. blush When I am pouring, I NOW stop and check with a light often. I stop when I get the bore over half full.

NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Using that method, I don't think you'll treat 10 rifles, like JB and still have product in the bottle... shocked

DF

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Using that method, I don't think you'll treat 10 rifles, like JB and still have product in the bottle... shocked

DF

Properly done, I guess one could turn at .308 into a .243, right?

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then think that half of the people are stupider than that" - George Carlin
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Rodell
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

Properly done, I guess one could turn at .308 into a .243, right?

With nanoparticle sized ceramic material, it'd probably take a bunch of coats... whistle

DF

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

506 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 52 invisible), 18,044 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,839
Posts18,537,220
Members74,047
Most Online19,248
15 seconds ago

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.