Hop To
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Rapid Z, Nightforce Velocity, etc.

Yes, they are better for windage than "plain" BDC's, however you are still holding in air at anything other than whole distances. Most take these scopes, go to a bench and then proceed to shoot them at targets that are exactly 300, 400, 500, or 600 yards. This does not show you the deficiencies, or attributes of any of them. I'll try to take some pictures through a NF Velocity 600 for reference.

Think about this- if I posted a one inch dot at 100 yards, had you run 100 yards and back under time while I dialed your scope to hit where 470 yards should be (in air) and where a 12 mph half value wind would be (in air) would you really believe that using the reticle as such is the best way to hit that dot...?

This goes along with what Carl posted. Re- Horus Reticles. It is important to note that we have Horus reticles in every new military sniper optic because the issued Leupold scopes didn't adjust correctly.

In any case the is what it looks like-

[Linked Image]

It is the ultimate Christmas tree reticle. Every military sniper knows it and the vast majority use only the reticle instead of dialing. However, given the same drill as above NO ONE chooses to hold to hit that 1 inch dot. Not to get into the psychological and physiological aspects of shooting ( they are important), but intuitively (visually) we understand that the middle is the middle and under stress we WANT to put those crosshairs on the target.

There is no doubt that dialing is the most precise way of going about things. I was a dedicated dialer and dialer/hold for wind guy when I ran an M24 for a living. I tried a Horus scope enough to realize it worked, but is sure busy and easy to get confused in stressful situations.

I'm still a dedicated dialer for fun fart around shooting. But for hunting I'm a BDC reticle guy. What it comes down to is that every optic is a compromise, and for hunting I've yet to find a scope with turrets that has the right combination of weight, eye relief, lack of excess bulk, and most importantly all of one that won't schit it's adjustments. When that scope becomes available I may revisit the subject. The SWFA 3-9 is close, but lacking in a couple areas. Subject for a different thread.

I'm going to disagree with your "holding off in air" comment. When hunting big game (read: basketball sized vitals), especially out to 4 or 5 hundred yards (which is my ethical limit due to numerous factors), it's not tough to figure out the in between holds vertically. There's no holding in air on the windage. If I need to adjust for 12" of drift, I aim at a point on the animal 12" in the proper direction from the center of the vitals and concentrate on hitting that point. Now I realize I have to visualize what 12" looks like on the animal, and that could get me into trouble if I run into a freak of abnormal proportions. But after being around a few thousand head of the species I normally hunt, it's pretty easy to visualize where I gotta go. If a specific animal is 10 or 20% larger or smaller than the average size realm, it still puts the bullet in the vitals at these distances.

Kind of a rough rule of thumb that if I'm aiming for air on windage (or dialing in a schit load of windage), I get closer, reposition to where I have a full headwind or tailwind, or wait for the animal to reposition. What I'm getting at here is that if there's enough wind that I'm holding in air around a broadside big game animal, there's a lot of wind and the chances of phugging up the wind call and thus the shot are high. If said animal is facing me, the vitals present an even smaller target and the same rule applies.

Throw in moving animals in failing light, or a whole bunch of other possible factors and the issue becomes more complicated. So I practice for those conditions when I'm able, and make them work to the best of my abilities.

Fact remains that if the shot gets too tough, regardless of what system a guy chooses to use, he can walk away. Far better to walk away from a half-azzed shot opportunity than have to think about an animal with a blown off leg slowly dying out on a hillside...waiting to be ripped apart by predators.

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Jeezus F U C K...the Dumbpfhuqqery around here is simply mind numbing!

The "Rapid Z" is some of THE most stupid schit yet "offered" to Drooling Clueless Dumbpfhuqqs and it is a hoot,that someone could "think" that the schit "works". It is simply an arbitrary array of meaningless schit slathered upon the windshield,meant to dupe THE dumbest of pfhuqqs into "thinking" they've "got" something. FUNNY schit!

Then to conjoin SFP so as to "tune" such dumbpfhuqqery,takes the humor outta the Universe. Wow.

Zeiss "offers" some seriously steaming dog schit "ideas" and it is hilarious that anyone who's fired even a single shot in their "life",could suffer such dumbpfhuqqery,let alone "swoon" it. Though I do dig the pfhuqqing humor!

The middle is always the middle and it has no equal. Hint. Couple that constant with erectors that don't bobble and house copious travel and one is there,by literal default. Re-hint.

Now take it a step farther and bask in the sanctity of the middle being the middle,no matter the zoom selection and one is bearing fruit on "accident". Then add the innate ability to do same with ANY bullet,at ANY speed and in ANY atmosphere...then it fully becomes "cheating". I get a kick out of Dumb Pfhuqqs talking about "all" that they "think" they have to "remember". Hilarious! What does one say to the Drooling Clueless Pfhuqq that can't "remember" where the middle "is"?!? Laffin'!

If one wishes,they can add a reticle of repute to the fray and rock either FFP or Fixed,for even more constants. They'll do everything the Z does and with far greater Precision. Hint.

Should one wish to meld the conjunction,such things are easily arranged via erector dope and windage slide.

Here's 1000yd 10MPH full value Ball Burpin' slide,if only to hopefully bolster some more Z-Dumbpfhuqqery.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Hardly "daunting" to break come-ups down in 10yd incremets,for steering 22LR fodder to 600yds+...if only for the kids.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The "Z" is akin to asking Santa to sew a dick on the Old Lady and I've zero doubt that more than a few of The Paper Hat Brigade,are now feverishly penciling same and licking stamps to the North Pole. Laffin'!

'Course those of the ilk,swoon BDC's too.

Hint.

Laffin'!

Thank me later.

Can hardly wait for the "hard chargers" to extoll upon doing their "best".

Re-laffin'!

Ooops...should add if only in fairness,that (3) FF's will be setting at the house,upon my return and if the one I loaned out is returned,that'll put me at 20 of 'em.

Still happily looking to trade MK4 M3 3.5-10x BDC's away,to THE dumbest of pfhuqqs.

HINT.(grin)

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
So are you saying you don't use a Rapid Z? grin

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I'm impressed! whistle

Take care, Willie

Cry to the heavens and let slip the dogs of war. For they must feed on the bones of tyranny. In order for men to have freedom and liberty.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by ctsmith
So are you saying you don't use a Rapid Z? grin

He's hooked on Horus....

[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Does that thing come with an abacus?

Now with even more aplomb
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I fall more in line with prarie goat. I play around with CDS dials. But when I'm going out to kill something, give me a regular duplex, or even an illuminated duplex, and I'll try to get within MPBR. When you get older like me (53 yr old eyes)all those dots, hashes, etc are great when the light is good. In poor light, all bets are off. Most people I've hunted with have no business shooting at game at 300+ anyway.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Boxer.. why are you always swearing? and think you're the smartest guy with the best gear on here?
You really have to be hinting and thinking someone is going to thank you?
I have the hardest time reading your posts. At least have some proper spelling and grammar if you're soooo smart.
You have to be the dumbest most ignorant MoFo on this web site.

Last edited by Dre; 09/26/14.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
If people listened to him, they'd have far more skill, far more capable gear, and spend way less money.....

But I tend to focus on what's important....

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Having a reticle that gives you something doesn't preclude one from using it as a regular duplex when not needed... On that note it's pretty obvious which of those reticles is easier to see, more bold, AND offers something of real use....

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Most people I've hunted with have no business shooting at game at 300+ anyway.

I'd say that about most of the Texans I've met as well.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Dre
Boxer.. why are you always swearing? and think you're the smartest guy with the best gear on here?
I have the hardest time reading your posts. At least have some proper spelling and grammar if you're soooo smart.

I see you live in Oregon.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Imagine that.

There has to be something in the water that makes people stupid and men grow tits.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Dre

I see you live in Oregon.

Travis

Looks like you live in Montana.

Last edited by Dre; 09/26/14.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Dre

Correct. All the good looking people live here.

Travis

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Deflave, there are a few good looking folks living down here in Wyoming... But probably not as many as Montana..

Molon Labe
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Dre

Correct. All the good looking people live here.

Travis

What!!? LOL

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Drater,

Funny pfhuqqing schit,in that you Whining Clueless Kchunts can always find something to Whine about. Congratulations?

I'm admittedly not very "surprised" that while you could add copious Estrogen Levels to the equation,you KNOW better than to try and say ANYTHING about the crux. Bless your heart. Please show NO "mercy" as you conjure the excuses that'll "resolve" the glaring dumbpfhuqqtitude of your "experience","knowledge" and "results". Add pics,if only to obliviously add more humor!

You'd do well to shut the pfhuqq up,take notes,apply same and thank me later. Here's hoping someone for your sake,starts pumping daylight to you,if only so you could begin to fathom how far you are in over your pfhuqqing pointy head and crossed-eyes.

Here's to how very WELL founded,your amazingly long list of insecurities are,as you struggle with the reality of being at the mercy,of being you. Perhaps you believe in Reincarnation and are aspiring to really get a scald on things,during your next pass?!?

Laughing!

I heard money grows on trees.................

'smith,

Zeiss do nice glass,but badly botch riflescopes.

I greedily drive alotta their wares and think more than a little bit highly of their camera glass,bino's,spotters and lasers.

Perhaps someday they'll make a scope worth a pfhuqq...but that day isn't today.

It is what it is and that'd be funny.....................(grin)

wde,

PLEASE find me "mistaken" and I'll happily rub your nose even further in your incredible pfhqqing Stupidity. Cite the words that were "too big" too and I'll slap you around with daintier verbage,if only to grant you the delusion of having a "chance".

Just sayin'.

Laughing!.................

'Raider,

Perhaps quantify the BDC "advantages" in your Barbed-Wire "Pursuits" and be sure to quantify the height of the fences,for maximum "effect". Laughing!

Someone who "knows" as "much" as you,is ALWAYS going to be best served by asking questions...instead of giving "answers".

Hint.

Let the men talk and perhaps even a Clueless Kchunt such as yourself,might garner her first pfhuqqing clue.

Just kidding!

That ain't in the cards,as you haven't the smarts to begin to keep pace.

Bless your heart!

As an aside,just how high is a Meopta Fence?!?

I'm pfhuqqing crying,I'm laughing soooooooooo hard,you poor,poor CLUELESS Pfhuqq..................

'flave,

She can only do the best she can do,with what incredibly pfhuqqing little she has to work with.

Do NOT slight how "real" Imagination and Pretend are to these Clueless Window Licking Kchunts. Though "luckily",it's priced so they can "contribute" a "bunch".

Just enjoy the show.....................(grin)

Oooooops...my bad.

Pardon my being afforded the luxury of not being forced to guess.

[Linked Image]

Hint.

Then things got MUCH better.

[Linked Image]

Re-Hint.

As an aside...it suddenly got VERY quiet.

Laughing!...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Stick,

Are you saying you've actually run a Rapid Z and it did not work as advertised? Or are you just guessing? grin

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Big stick and boxer same guy?

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

625 members (222Sako, 2500HD, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 16penny, 61 invisible), 2,612 guests, and 1,355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,712
Posts18,475,522
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.