Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yes, or cut the damned barrel down!!!!!!! It's been on my mind and I'm reminded how much I don't like the 26" barrel every time I take it out. It's just too long. I love the cartridge and rifle and it shoots great. Would you cut it down to 22", 23" or 24" or just sell it?? Help a brother out... Here's the rifle in question:

[Linked Image]

Here is how it shoots. Slow plinking loads with RL22 powder (different charge wts/ developing loads):
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Little faster loads with RL25:
[Linked Image]]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/012-18.jpg[/img]

I'm on the fence with this one. It's a 5 digit (I believe) classic stainless and is totally reliable, action is smooth as butter. Trigger is great at 2.5 pounds. What say you guys??

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
That POS shoots so poorly that I'd sell it. grin

Seriously, I'd leave it as is and slowly wear the barrel out by shooting tiny groups off the bench.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Yes, or cut the damned barrel down!!!!!!! It's been on my mind and I'm reminded how much I don't like the 26" barrel every time I take it out. It's just too long. I love the cartridge and rifle and it shoots great. Would you cut it down to 22", 23" or 24" or just sell it?? Help a brother out... Here's the rifle in question:

[Linked Image]

Here is how it shoots. Slow plinking loads with RL22 powder (different charge wts/ developing loads):
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Little faster loads with RL25:
[Linked Image]]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/012-18.jpg[/img]

I'm on the fence with this one. It's a 5 digit (I believe) classic stainless and is totally reliable, action is smooth as butter. Trigger is great at 2.5 pounds. What say you guys??

Man, seems like a great candidate to send over to JES and have made into something like the 7LRM or 7mm Mashburn Super Mag... whistle

Honestly, I would chop two inches off of it BSA. 24" barrels work excellent with the 7mm Rem Mag. Mine is an older XTR and I actually get a little more speed with the same charges your showing with your 26.

My old 7mm Rem Mag is going to become my 7MSM soon though. I plan on sending JES the reamer, having him set the barrel back a thread to clean up the chamber/throat and start with something new.

I can't see ever being with a good 7mm Mag or two.

Semper Fi
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
I had one just like it, cut it to 24" with no regrets.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
24 inches is ideal for 7 mag I think.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
IC B2

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I'd sell it unless you'd be replacing it with another in some .284 chambering. I'm betting that someone out there is looking for one just like that to turn into one of the larger 7's. If I were that person and you showed me those targets they'd seal the deal.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd sell it and buy a ticket to Africa. grin

Eric

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
If 2" shorter does it for you, then cut it. I wouldn't go shorter.

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then think that half of the people are stupider than that" - George Carlin
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
BSA, Sell the gun, a lot of 7 mag lovers out there plus I have followed you long enough to know you prob have your eyes on another! v best WinPoor

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ha ha, that's what my wife says. I do like the 7 and took my buck at 648 yards last year with this rifle. However, I could have made the same shot with my pre 64 270 fwt or my 300 wsm that I'm going to be throwing in a blue swirly next week. Hell, I could have made that shot with my 9.3x62mm shooting blemished 286gr. Nosler partitions. So I ask myself, do I really need the 7???. I appreciate all of your responses and input. Thanks guys.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by EricM
I'd sell it and buy a ticket to Africa. grin

Eric

Tempting grin

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ha ha, that's what my wife says. I do like the 7 and took my buck at 648 yards last year with this rifle. However, I could have made the same shot with my pre 64 270 fwt or my 300 wsm that I'm going to be throwing in a blue swirly next week. Hell, I could have made that shot with my 9.3x62mm shooting blemished 286gr. Nosler partitions. So I ask myself, do I really need the 7???. I appreciate all of your responses and input. Thanks guys.

If I already owned those rifles I would keep that rifle and the 26" barrel length and dump the .270 and or .300WSM. The old Winchester doesn't have stainless barrel or composite stock (features nice to have in wet weather conditions) and most Walmarts don't carry .300WSM ammo.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I rebore that 7 mag out to a 358 Norma mag b

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Chop to 24" and don't look back BSA. It'll be a great "hunting rifle" then. grin

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 79S

Re-barreling it to .416 Remington Magnum would be even better. He could use 350grain spitzers on woodchucks or groundhogs and 400gr monolithic solids for elephants.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Slavek
Originally Posted by 79S

Re-barreling it to .416 Remington Magnum would be even better. He could use 350grain spitzers on woodchucks or groundhogs and 400gr monolithic solids for elephants.

You have me confused with Gunner laugh

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Chop to 24" and don't look back BSA. It'll be a great "hunting rifle" then. grin

I know you me and Bob were talking about this a while back. I'm kind of liking the idea. NYRifleman was talking to me about the 7MM LRM too. A mashburn super would be cool too...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
A mashburn super would be cool too...

Now your talking! I like where your heads at!

Semper Fi
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I know you me and Bob were talking about this a while back. I'm kind of liking the idea. NYRifleman was talking to me about the 7MM LRM too. A mashburn super would be cool too...

Super mashburn you say???? All the load data you need is in walla walla.....

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Cut it... smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That stock is beyond ugly. Get rid of it all.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How rude!

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O

Rude, ignorant, pointless. Par for the course.

Last edited by Oregon45; 09/29/14.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Just wait until he sees the stock I got from you today. He'll really be offended laugh. Thanks again for that great stock. I'm going to be glass bedding it here in a few minutes. Wish me luck!! grin

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Here's what you say:

"I love the cartridge and rifle and it shoots great.......totally reliable, action is smooth as butter. Trigger is great at 2.5 pounds.....took my buck at 648 yards last year with this rifle."

Why would you even consider selling it? New Haven isn't going to make any more of 'em! If you really have to, cut it to 24" before selling but be prepared to live with the possible consequences (velocity loss, accuracy?, value). I have 4 26" M70s, and yeah, they're long but to me they don't carry any different than a 24 incher. If I want a brush popper I grab something else, like my Ruger Alaskan. I'd do as my Granny would say, "Just don't you pay it no never mind" and go shoot tiny groups and critters a long way off.
Good luck in your quest!

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
You and your granny make a lot of sense

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My granny always used to say "grab me another beer and bring me my cigarettes" when you decide to unload that thing let me know

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Your granny really said that?? grin

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Ha! I like 79s granny better!

Charter Member

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Alright, I cut the SOB down today and put an 11 degree crown on it. Well, I had my smith do it anyway. I'll run some 160gr. Nosler partitons downrange tomorrow and see how fast I can push them. I'm hoping the rifle still shoots like a house a fire too. Wish me luck!! Here's the rifle now:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Camera and pic still sucks, but oh well grin. I know it is just 2" shorter, but I didn't bang the end of the barrel on the safe when putting it in this time. Didn't hit it on the door jam when going into the house or leaving the shop either. I think I'll like it MUCH better!!!!!

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Just can't leave well enough alone, can ya? (another granny quote) Hope it shoots as good as it feels now, or you'll be pissed!

Charter Member

szihn

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ha ha...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How about inexpensive fun gun like this one.......

[img:center]http://[Linked Image]/img]

Twenty round back of Russian ammo at W-mart is $5.47.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Not my cup of tea..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If that was my only rifle I woulda cut it too. If not, I'd carry something else for the brush and save that one for clearcuts.

LOL
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I loaded up some 160gr. Nosler partitions and some 162 A-max to do a velocity comparison and accuracy test. 26" vs. 24". We'll see how much was actually lost.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Looks much more "balanced" to me and I would be amazed if it doesn't shoot at least as good as it did previously.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by patbrennan
Looks much more "balanced" to me and I would be amazed if it doesn't shoot at least as good as it did previously.

Looks REAL good BSA!

Can't wait to hear how it shoot for you. I can't imagine you'll much of anything.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks guys. It feels better to me. Now I need to lighten up the scope a bit!!! That long azzed Nikon could be replaced by a good ol Leupold VX3 3.5-10x40 and it wouldn't hurt my feelings wink. I've been hearing some good things about the VX2 3-9x40 as well and even looked thru some at the new Cabela's store here in OR. I'm thinking something like that may round this package out nicely. I'm keeping it in the factory tuperware because it is nicely bedded and it feels good in the hands crazy

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
A 3.5x10 would be a nice scope for that rifle.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Well, I'm not thinking about selling this rifle anymore. Just ran some 160gr. Partitions over the chrono and things looked great. Still able to get 3,030 fps with them and no pressure signs. The rifle feels much better to boot. The 7mm rem mag is a sweet heart to shoot as well. I think I'm going to keep the old girl..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Really good call. Nice rifle.

LOL
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
BSA, what was your load on the 160 NP?

“Factio democratica delenda est"
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Just ran some over the chrono. Wind was so bad that it blew my target stand over and the chrono was blown over once so I decided not to shoot targets. I wanted to see what my velocities would be as compared to before. Here are the numbers. Sorry I don't have any targets to share:

Before:

2-12-12
38 deg. F
70gr. RL 25
162 A-max

2,965 fps average velocity
[Linked Image]

Today:
Same load average velocity was 2,975 fps. It was 57 deg F today and I'm sure I was using a different lot# on the powder. I was actually surprised my average velocity was more today than before.

Here's how the 160gr. Partitions performed:

69gr. RL 25 @ 2,946 FPS

69.5gr. RL 25 @ 2,998 FPS

70gr. RL 25 @ 3,013 FPS

70.5gr. RL 25 @ 3,030 FPS

Didn't have any error readings on the chrono today, which actually surprised me. I also don't have any before speeds for the 160gr. Nosler partitions. Speeds look promising as I said in my earlier post. I'll shoot these loads to see which one is the most accurate the next time out. Honestly, there was no way to shoot targets today as my target stand and the wind were not cooperating!!!!!

BSA MAGA
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
70.0 RL 25 worked well in my 7 Mag as well.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I like the stuff. Seems to work great for the Hornady A-max and 162gr. BTSP. This rifle is a dang tack driver with the 162 btsp, I'm hoping it shoots the 160gr. Nosler partition reasonably well. I'll be stoked if the most accurate load is the 70.5gr. charge grin

When I was testing the 162 A-max a couple years ago, it seemed to shoot well at top speeds. I can't remember if I already posted this picture, but here it is again if I did:

[Linked Image]

It also shot very well with RL 22, but I couldn't get the speeds I was looking for. It seemed like the book loads were very anemic!!!!

BSA MAGA
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
That'll work!

My Rifles, Inc. 7 Mag loves 68.0 7828 SSC with the 160 Accubond.

I'm waiting for my smith to finish bedding a Classic Stainless into an Edge I picked up.

I have loads all set to go with both the 160 NP and 162 AMax with RL 22 and RL 25.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I've been wanting to try some good ol 7828, but I can't find it here locally. Is your classic barrel still 26" long? I'm actually amazed that it appears I didn't lose much if any by cutting this one down to 24". It is, however, noticeably handier. I'm used to 24" and 22" barreled rifles though. If you don't mind, could you post some pics of your rifle in the edge stock when you get it back from the smith.

BSA MAGA
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
My barrel is 24".

69.0 7828SSC shoots the 150 NBT into tiny groups as well.

I will be happy to post pics.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks my friend.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice result, BSA. Better handling rifle with no real velocity loss sounds like a win win.

Eric

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I know it sounds unbelievable. My smith even told me it would probably loose 80-100 fps. I'm really not seeing it though..

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You know the chronograph supposed to be 12-16 feet from the muzzle not 1 foot grin

Last edited by 79S; 10/12/14.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ha ha...I always set it up at 15 feet away.. I think I'm going to try it again today...I want to shoot some targets!!

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Just bought a different scope for the old girl. She'll be looking a little bit different by the end of the week... Shot pretty good today too, but it looks like the 69.5gr. load is the one it likes the most. I shot the A-max again just to see if the accuracy was still there with that load and it landed right around the moa mark so that's looking good. Next weekend, I may run the charge wt up a bit (I know it's over book max by a small amount) to see if I can find another accuracy node. If not, it looks like I'll be running the 160gr. Nosler partition at around 3,000 fps with this powder...Good enough for any buck or elk around here I guess grin

I did a lot of shooting today. I had to make sure my 300 wsm was still shooting well after the McMillan swap and bedding job:
[Linked Image]

I also shot the pre 64 model 70 30-06 fwt and it was the king of the hill for best accuracy today:
[Linked Image]

I really like how this one is set up. Seems to be liking it's new Micky stock too grin

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
160 accubonds

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
When I see some seconds on SPS, I'll pick some up and give them a try..

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Stop being cheap grin

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ha ha. Yes, I am. You know anyone willing to sell some 7mm powerpoints real cheap?? laugh..I bought 750 30 cal 180gr. powerpoints from crod 1972 for $35.00/250 and I'm loving those in my 06. Even killed a buck with them last weekend..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I know it sounds unbelievable. My smith even told me it would probably loose 80-100 fps. I'm really not seeing it though..

Not unbelievable... wink

24" is the way to go for a carry weight 7 RM. Not a bit surprised to see in excess of 3000 fps with the 160 from a 24" barrel,and RL25 is a good choice in a 7 RM with bullets 150 gr and over. For that application it has replaced RL22 for me.

BSA you are on the right track! smile

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Sounds like the big 7 is running well with the 160 PT's. Your right about elk not liking them at all either!

Same here for RL25, it has really done excellent in my old 7 as well, with the 150 Swift SII's and 160 AB's. It really shines with the 175 PT's. It'll get you up mighty close to 3K in most rifles.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Not unbelievable... wink

24" is the way to go for a carry weight 7 RM. Not a bit surprised to see in excess of 3000 fps with the 160 from a 24" barrel,and RL25 is a good choice in a 7 RM with bullets 150 gr and over. For that application it has replaced RL22 for me.

BSA you are on the right track! smile

Thanks Bob. It's weird, but I feel much better about this rifle now...

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
What's the weight on that 30-06 FWT in the new stock without scope?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
6.9 pounds. The hunters compact and edge would make it quite a bit lighter. My 270 fwt is noticeably lighter with it's hunters compact standard fill stock. The 30-06 actually gained a few ounces by going to this swirly over the factory stock.. mad

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
50 yrs from now someone going to say "some ass bubbafide this rifle" lol

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
It will still be working like a champ though... grin. Hell, they might even think it came from the custom shop laugh

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
6.9 pounds. The hunters compact and edge would make it quite a bit lighter. My 270 fwt is noticeably lighter with it's hunters compact standard fill stock. The 30-06 actually gained a few ounces by going to this swirly over the factory stock.. mad

Do you know what the Edge 270 FWT weighs?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
My 270 fwt is a standard fill, but it is lighter than this swirly. I was surprised the swirly is heavier than the factory wood stock. An edge stocked fwt should weigh about 6.4 pounds..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
bsa: Said anther way you could sell all the others and just use the Big 7. Which to me is somewhat easier than dealing with multiple others.

I have a hard time casting aside a rifle with which I'd polished off an animal at 648 yards. Where l come from we call that a "money gun".

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would keep 26" barrel and the gun. The 7mm Remington is among the best all around cartridges for all north american game and ammo is available at most Walmarts.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
What's the weight on that 30-06 FWT in the new stock without scope?

My 30.06 Fwt (bare) in an Edge weighs exactly 6 lbs. 8 oz.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
bsa: Said anther way you could sell all the others and just use the Big 7. Which to me is somewhat easier than dealing with multiple others.

I have a hard time casting aside a rifle with which I'd polished off an animal at 648 yards. Where l come from we call that a "money gun".

Thanks for the comments Bob. I agree with your philosophy, but that can also be said about many other cartridges, including the 270 win, 30-06, 338, 9.3x62mm, 300 mag etc. etc.. I'm definite;y keeping this rifle, as shortening the barrel made a substantial difference for the better. I put a better scope on it and look forward to shooting it this weekend..

BSA MAGA
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
23" gets my vote. Although I wouldn't go to the expense of cutting a 24", I would absolutely cut that 26", can't stand a rifle that long.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (007FJ, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 21, 12344mag, 66 invisible), 2,450 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,411
Posts18,470,431
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.