Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I have an Excalibur Matrix 330 and was planning to use the SlickTrick 150's. Our crossbow season starts Wednesday and I'm thinking of heading another direction.

What do you think about using the NAP Killzone 125's? I have plenty of time to get things switched over and have the Killzones in the closet.

I know the 150's will penetrate with ease and obviously do the job, but the 125's will be a tad faster and penetration will probably be adequate as well. Has anybody had issues with the Killzone opening during flight from a crossbow? Think they'll be fine?

My 10 year old daughter will be using the crossbow too. She's become quite proficient with it and is excited about the opportunity. I can't wait to watch her bust a deer with it!

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
GB1

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
The Killzone is recommended by Kodabow for their bows. They have had no issues with opening prematurely. If I didn't have a supply of Swhacker's, I would be using that head.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
SAS How do you like the Excalibur ?

Molan Labe
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I like it, but I have nothing to compare it against. It's the only crossbow brand I've ever owned.

I've been a bow hunter since I was 13, but I've yet to hunt with the crossbow. I'm actually looking forward to it. My 10 year old daughter and 7 year old son really enjoy shooting it.

My daughter wants to kill a deer with it this year and I'm not betting against her!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks! Got to get me one as they are legal for all hunters here
in Bama

Molan Labe
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Went to a crossbow this year as I have shoulder/arm issues.
I am using Wasp Bullets in 100 grain. Same as I use in my compound.
Nasty little fixed blade it is.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D,

I've read great things about the Killzone, hope K busts a big one!

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Her goal is a buck, but she'd prefer a 10-pointer! I told her things didn't work like that....

Case has no real goal, other than to "shoot" a deer. I think he just wants to shoot something. Wonder where he gets that?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use Thunderhead 100gr, fixed in mime.

Bolts fly awesome, shoot out to 60 yards..no problems.

They are devastating on deer....

Tony

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Just me I shoot the same Xcal bow! like it better then my old 10pointer I use the Slick Trick 175s they will go thru both shoulders if they have too! go with a heavey head as the bolts are shorter thus less weight, adding in less pen. My buddies are all going to Xbows and want to use there old compound heads, yes the will kill but also wound! I have learned the hard way! good hunting my season opens tomorrow!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
IC B3

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I have both the Equinox and Matrix 380 made by Excalibur, and this is just my opinion but I think they are the best crossbow on the market. They have the best customer service, and are easy to mantain yourself.
As fare as which broad head to use, I like the Slick Tricks in 150 - 175 gr. I've shot both with great accuracy. I also use the Black Eagle Executioner 20" Arrows .001 with the 2 inch Boing Blazer vanes and alumnium nock and incert,because of the heavy Broad Heads. I won't shot 2 arrows at the same spot from 50 yards. Just make sure you keep a check on the Brace height on your 330. If you installed the string stops, I would keep it at 1/4" in from them or measure from where your riser meets your rail and set your string 3/4" from there. I take a black magic marker,and put a mark on the side of the rail that way I know if my string has stretched and if it does just use the stringing aid (Get One If You Don't Have One) to put a few twists in the string to line it backup with my mark.
You have one of the best crossbows made, just keep you B.H. Where it needs to be.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here are my thoughts on the 100gr T-heads...

My brother and I shoot the exact same setup...Parker Tornado, Redhots bolts and the 100gr Thunderhead.

We've both killed multiple deer with them, he killed a bear with his . We have yet to have one not pass through and leave Steve Wonder blood trails.......

[Linked Image]
That would be the exit....

Also, you might want to check you scope aiming points at all ranges if you use a scope...

Our setup shoots the EXACT point of aim out to 60yards.

Heavier setups will not track the aiming points on your scope...I know, I have experimented with mine.

Good luck.

Tony

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I don't have any problems with the heavier heads, they shoot with pinpoint accuracy using a scope. With the Matrix 330 you might want to stay with 150 gr. or lower to help with your FPS. But if you try the slick trick BH trust me they shoot great from the excalibur crossbows, and they will kill what your aiming at if you do your part.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by hotdog
I have both the Equinox and Matrix 380 made by Excalibur, and this is just my opinion but I think they are the best crossbow on the market. They have the best customer service, and are easy to mantain yourself.
As fare as which broad head to use, I like the Slick Tricks in 150 - 175 gr. I've shot both with great accuracy. I also use the Black Eagle Executioner 20" Arrows .001 with the 2 inch Boing Blazer vanes and alumnium nock and incert,because of the heavy Broad Heads. I won't shot 2 arrows at the same spot from 50 yards. Just make sure you keep a check on the Brace height on your 330. If you installed the string stops, I would keep it at 1/4" in from them or measure from where your riser meets your rail and set your string 3/4" from there. I take a black magic marker,and put a mark on the side of the rail that way I know if my string has stretched and if it does just use the stringing aid (Get One If You Don't Have One) to put a few twists in the string to line it backup with my mark.
You have one of the best crossbows made, just keep you B.H. Where it needs to be.

Great advice, thanks! I have the string stops and they're currently making contact with the string. I don't have a string aid, but will order one now.

Thanks again for the info!

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Doesn't overall arrow weight, including broad head, make the biggest difference with a x-bow. Just trying to become better educated.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D,
Any luck with the xbow?

ALDO LEOPOLD
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
No blood yet...

I ordered the Excalibur string aid and got everything set up right. I intended to bust a doe Monday afternoon, but the weather didn't cooperate. I got hit by a hail storm about an hour before dark and called it a day.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Saw that hail pic. Good luck to the kids this weekend

ALDO LEOPOLD

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (160user, 1badf350, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 1minute, 70 invisible), 2,541 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,190
Posts18,503,409
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.