Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1,419 of 1,842 1 2 1417 1418 1419 1420 1421 1841 1842
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
We are about a week out from our blast off for elk camp, and I'm honestly not ready for any of this nonsense. Lol!

I think being a new business owner is going to pull some of the "care free" out if my fall schedule.

We went out to the cabin yesterday to grab hunting gear needed for our elk hunt. Rainy cool day, but the fall colors are pretty. Popple and birch leaves very yellow, red maple leaves, fuzzy tamaracks are just hinting at a lime color, soon to be yellow as well. New tires going on the 09 half ton ford this week, going to try cooper at3. Going up one inch over stock diameter as well, tires will be a hair over 33". Also the ups man should be bringing me a front mounted receiver hitch for the truck and a receiver style winch plate, a 9500 lb elect winch and a weld on receiver stub which will go on my car trailer. This way I will be able to move the winch to the front or back of my truck or mount it on my trailer for pulling cars and trucks onto the trailer.

Something clever here.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
raining like crazy here, taking my dog to the vet today, likely for surgery. fingers crossed.

leaves are changing here too pretty good, temps dropped to 40's and it's definitely feeling "fall" here. headed to antelope camp tomorrow if all goes fine at the vet.
definitely hunting season!

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
It's felt like fall here for a while with the exception of last week and this weekend. It was weird to see the leaves falling and it's 84* outside.

I didn't see any deer last week in the heat other than on Wednesday when it rained. They're probably a bit warm, since I've seen a few with the heavy coats starting already.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My hunting partner and I both hit the doe-tag lottery for zone 242.

And his daughter can shoot either sex, so the freezer should be full in about a month.

smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Last edited by fluffy; 09/29/14.
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by northern_dave
We are about a week out from our blast off for elk camp, and I'm honestly not ready for any of this nonsense. Lol!

I think being a new business owner is going to pull some of the "care free" out if my fall schedule.

We went out to the cabin yesterday to grab hunting gear needed for our elk hunt. Rainy cool day, but the fall colors are pretty. Popple and birch leaves very yellow, red maple leaves, fuzzy tamaracks are just hinting at a lime color, soon to be yellow as well. New tires going on the 09 half ton ford this week, going to try cooper at3. Going up one inch over stock diameter as well, tires will be a hair over 33". Also the ups man should be bringing me a front mounted receiver hitch for the truck and a receiver style winch plate, a 9500 lb elect winch and a weld on receiver stub which will go on my car trailer. This way I will be able to move the winch to the front or back of my truck or mount it on my trailer for pulling cars and trucks onto the trailer.

I put the Cooper AT3 on my half ton dodge last February I believe. So far I have been really happy with them, I have about 20,000 miles on them, they still look really good. Can't really comment on road noise as it kind of blends in with the normal ringing in my ears, but they ride nice and I have not found them lacking for traction.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just found out my little hotspot I got permission to hunt is about a mile on the wrong side of the line were deer can be hunted with firearms. I could archery hunt it, but after the defibrillator surgery, I can't draw a bow. I could get clearance from my dr. to hunt with a crossbow, but I don't have one and can't afford one. Hopefully by next fall, I'll have a crossbow and be ready to go.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gophergunner
I just found out my little hotspot I got permission to hunt is about a mile on the wrong side of the line were deer can be hunted with firearms. I could archery hunt it, but after the defibrillator surgery, I can't draw a bow. I could get clearance from my dr. to hunt with a crossbow, but I don't have one and can't afford one. Hopefully by next fall, I'll have a crossbow and be ready to go.

No muzzle-loader??? I have a smoke pole if you need one.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by northern_dave

No pics? frown

I assume yuze guyz been working out those quad muscles for humping da wapati out of the mountains. Last time I did it I tipped over - too much weight on the pack...2 full hinds. Reloaded or I should say off-loaded one and still this flatlander nearly had a grabber going up the mountain. I'm sure the young man will be a good sherpa - tip him well!

I bought the AT3s a couple months ago. I notice a bit more road hum, but nothing the radio can't drown out. Easily better traction off-road than the POS Uniroyals I had on before. The side walls of those separated from the belts all the way around the rims of all 4 tires. They looked like they had a doughnut shaped tumor. No love from Uniroyal either.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No antlerless tag permit for me. frown

IC B3

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
None of us even got around to applying for wolf, or even antlerless for that matter... too damn busy.

Thanks for the good reports on the cooper at3's guys. I put the front mount receiver hitch last night. Nathan helped me, it was super easy.

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Now you'll be pullin chevy's out like crazy! grin I have no experience with the coopers other than everyone that has them say good stuff about em.

The deer camp beard has officially started. I have not rubbed the newl post yet but I sniffed a few doe.

Tinks on my oatmeal this morning and 41 degree temps are helping move things along nicely.

Grunt grunt rattle rattle

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
the rain aint quit yet, we aint used to this much precip.

be careful tom, it aint even october yet! smile
season here has been open almost a week and I have yet to go, too busy with soccer practice and home remodeling I guess.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Heading up north on Friday for the duck opener on this weekend. Going to scout deer spots too. Grilled venny tenderloin and Bart's Chili are on the menu.

Lucked out and drew a doe permit, but for the northern lower peninsula. When I was in the UP a month or so ago, I saw ZERO deer sign. No tracks, scat, rubs, or scrapes. We spent the better part of 5 days in the woods when we weren't on the water. Me thinks last years brutal winter really took a toll. Couple that with the wolf predation and there's not much left up there. Doe permits have been cut drastically. The winter of 95-96 they lost over 200,000 deer and its never rebounded. I think this one was just as bad, if not worse. Those boys are going to have a tough go of it. Any buck will be well earned.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
That's how it will be in northern MN on our little slice of heaven too CFT.

Trail cams will go up this weekend and they will tell the tale for what is up there. We didn't have one buck on our cams in the normal hinting spot last hear. Had does, so I know there were a few bucks around, but that's it.

I think I'm going to keep a journal this season. I do it for turkey hit my but haven't for deer. I will have someone new with me each weekend this year so it will be fun for them to look back on it as well. We can then also track what is going on in the woods where we hunt as far as deer sighting too .

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I tossed out some canning scraps and set up a camera to see what was in the area. There a few around but definitely down from previous years.

[Linked Image]

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I saw 4 mulies in the park across the street where I took mama for lunch today, does and fawns. sorry to hear about the low numbers where you guys are.
almost seems like they should be reducing tag numbers if deer are that scarce.

gimme a second while I put on my nomex and flame suit.

ok go, flame away smile

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Tags are waaaaay reduced. Bucks only in most areas of MN

IMO, it should be either sex for the whole state unless it's a park or city hunt.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
aren't tags OTC?

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Yes. But there and nearly no doe tags north of mid-state. Some areas of farm country, but nuttin up north. There are plenty of deer from middle of the state to the south.

Page 1,419 of 1,842 1 2 1417 1418 1419 1420 1421 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (11point, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1936M71, 10ring1, 68 invisible), 2,945 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,383
Posts18,469,596
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.