-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It was a crazy hunt. Saw the herd at first light, followed em to their bedding area, climbed 1350 vertical feet. Got busted by a satellite bull. Some of the cows believed him.....but the herd bull sauntered down and calmed em down. Took the shot with the 99F 165 grain SGK. 440 yards looks like a heart shot! I believe it was the herd cow I harvested as they all circled around and actually came closer to me and stopped. If Fireball can do it with that postmill monkey business, certainly an ol' fat boy can with a 300 savage! Pics to follow

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Nice shooting John! Wow, heck of good shot! I'm assuming cow hunt only since you didn't dump a bull? Hopefully you put those mules to work.
Tell me about your load and sight in.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
440 yds...nice shooting. smile

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
WOW... 440 yards... that's a "fur" piece, Pardner...!!! Great shootin' !~!~!

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

21 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hasn't anyone told you that you need a belted magnum to make a shot like that????? smile Good job!!!!!!!

"Never force anything, just get a bigger hammer".
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I finally got my wife to help with the pics. As you notice the bullet caused very little impact collateral damage upon entrance. There was no exit but some bruising on the opposite shoulder.There was 3-5 gallons of blood in the chest cavity,and the apex or distal tip of the heart or pericardium was discolored and hardened. (I cut my hand on the gutting procedure so I did not dissect the heart.)

Like I say the satellite bull had me busted and slide rock was between me and the Herd. I waited until I could see through my steamed glasses and with the firedot scope could easily check to see if I could hold steady. When I started firing, they were at 395 yards. I held dead on, the elk seemed very casual about leaving the area. I slightly held higher each shot. On the fourth shot I heard a CRACK! Before I chambered the fifth round a cow tumbled down the mountain! The main group circled and ran towards me, stopping at about 250 yards. The Herd bull stood with a few cows watching the downed cow. A few satilites headed up the mountain into the timber. WOW!

My 99F is serial # 955*** I was using 36 grains H 4895 165 grain Sierra Game Kings COAL of 2.56. A four power firedot 30 mm leupy scope made all the difference.The rifle was zeroed dead on at 200 yards. I finally have a rangefinder that can laze that far. (the scope and rangefinder bought here on the fire).

The Mules name is Chloe....her first big Job. The horse is a Tennessee Walking Mare named The Cats Meow aka Cat.

From what I can guestimate the bullet dropped around 24 inches, I do not believe it had more steam left in it, due to the little collateral damage it showed on the carcass.

Attached Images
1-20140929_141709.jpg (87.73 KB, 205 downloads)
1-20140929_135453.jpg (42.23 KB, 160 downloads)
3-20140929_144714.jpg (74.63 KB, 156 downloads)
4-20140929_145634.jpg (79.39 KB, 148 downloads)
5-20140929_154657.jpg (77.5 KB, 153 downloads)
Last edited by Angus1895; 10/02/14.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
JOHN
CONGRATS and Great Going. Nice Job.
STEVE

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Angus1895
I finally got my wife to help with the pics. As you notice the bullet caused very little impact collateral damage upon entrance. There was no exit but some bruising on the opposite shoulder.There was 3-5 gallons of blood in the chest cavity,and the apex or distal tip of the heart or pericardium was discolored and hardened. (I cut my hand on the gutting procedure so I did not dissect the heart.)

Like I say the satellite bull had me busted and slide rock was between me and the Herd. I waited until I could see through my steamed glasses and with the firedot scope could easily check to see if I could hold steady. When I started firing, they were at 395 yards. I held dead on, the elk seemed very casual about leaving the area. I slightly held higher each shot. On the fourth shot I heard a CRACK! Before I chambered the fifth round a cow tumbled down the mountain! The main group circled and ran towards me, stopping at about 250 yards. The Herd bull stood with a few cows watching the downed cow. A few satilites headed up the mountain into the timber. WOW!

My 99F is serial # 955*** I was using 36 grains H 4895 165 grain Sierra Game Kings COAL of 2.56. A four power firedot 30 mm leupy scope made all the difference.The rifle was zeroed dead on at 200 yards. I finally have a rangefinder that can laze that far. (the scope and rangefinder bought here on the fire).

The Mules name is Chloe....her first big Job. The horse is a Tennessee Walking Mare named The Cats Meow aka Cat.

From what I can guestimate the bullet dropped around 24 inches, I do not believe it had more steam left in it, due to the little collateral damage it showed on the carcass.

John, I love you man, you know I do, but you gotta know the trajectories before the shooting starts! Tape it on the inside of the flip up scope covers and it'll always be at your fingertips. Glad it worked out but I winced reading your account! At any rate, ended well.

Don't let anyone say a 300 Savage won't get er done!!!

LOL
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
It was a crazy hunt. Saw the herd at first light, followed em to their bedding area, climbed 1350 vertical feet. Got busted by a satellite bull. Some of the cows believed him.....but the herd bull sauntered down and calmed em down. Took the shot with the 99F 165 grain SGK. 440 yards looks like a heart shot! I believe it was the herd cow I harvested as they all circled around and actually came closer to me and stopped. If Fireball can do it with that postmill monkey business, certainly an ol' fat boy can with a 300 savage! Pics to follow

Like I say the satellite bull had me busted and slide rock was between me and the Herd. I waited until I could see through my steamed glasses and with the firedot scope could easily check to see if I could hold steady. When I started firing, they were at 395 yards. I held dead on, the elk seemed very casual about leaving the area. I slightly held higher each shot. On the fourth shot I heard a CRACK! (Was this the one at 440 yards?) Before I chambered the fifth round a cow tumbled down the mountain! The main group circled and ran towards me, stopping at about 250 yards. The Herd bull stood with a few cows watching the downed cow. A few satilites headed up the mountain into the timber. WOW!

My 99F is serial # 955*** I was using 36 grains H 4895 165 grain Sierra Game Kings COAL of 2.56. A four power firedot 30 mm leupy scope made all the difference. The rifle was zeroed dead on at 200 yards. I finally have a rangefinder that can laze that far. (the scope and rangefinder bought here on the fire).

After looking up a few things, doing a little figuring, and given the load you cited, I think 2250 fps is a reasonable estimate of the muzzle velocity for your load. Plugging that figure and the BC for the 165 Sierra into a ballistics program shoes me that with your 200 yard zero the bullet has dropped about 36" at 395 yards. At 440 the drop is about 52". The remaining velocities are about 1580 and 1500 fps respectively.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
D
Wow!!! That is awesome. Congrats.

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Old style hunting still works, eh? grin

Back at camp he could wind down with a scotch, Johnnie Walkthemin. Or Glenmortarfire. grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congratulations. Nice to see it done with a .300 Savage.

Hunting FOR Savages, Hunting WITH Savages
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Congrats on fine hunt. 300s rule the day!

Bruce
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Great job, Great gun

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for all your congratulations and comments. I admit this had more to do with luck than preparation. I have not done much long range shooting nor do I own a chronograph. I should have gotten closer to them but the Satellite bull had me pinned down.

One thing I would like to add is how stable the rifle becomes shooting freehand with the "Elanco Wormer" strap I got for free from a feedlot.

All things aside, one would not expect a 4 power scope, a 300 savage cartridge, and a inexperienced fat-boy who wears ashtray thick scratched glasses with no spotter to get this done.

I guess the saying " I would rather be lucky than good" truly applies to this situation.

However I have NEVER shot a more accurate rifle than this 99F. I even have a "triple tap" documented on my phone freehand at 80 yards, and yes this rifle has had trigger work.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
With practice you might be pleased with what an "only 4x" scope can do. I've "educated" a few folks with a little 1.5-4x20 Leupold Mark AR Mod 1 on an accurate 308.

I'm a fan of the 300 Savage. With a little judicious handloading you can improve the performance a good bit compared to what you were shooting.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
nothing wrong with a 4X. I hunt with my variable power scopes at 2 1/2 or 3X.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Thanks for all your congratulations and comments. I admit this had more to do with luck than preparation. I have not done much long range shooting nor do I own a chronograph. I should have gotten closer to them but the Satellite bull had me pinned down.

One thing I would like to add is how stable the rifle becomes shooting freehand with the "Elanco Wormer" strap I got for free from a feedlot.

All things aside, one would not expect a 4 power scope, a 300 savage cartridge, and a inexperienced fat-boy who wears ashtray thick scratched glasses with no spotter to get this done.

I guess the saying " I would rather be lucky than good" truly applies to this situation.

However I have NEVER shot a more accurate rifle than this 99F. I even have a "triple tap" documented on my phone freehand at 80 yards, and yes this rifle has had trigger work.
Ya got her - end of story. I think a lot of people keep a goin' when things go bad at first. Good job!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't underestimate the 300 Savage. It was our grandparents 308 before there was a 308

It is the parent of the 308, which military snipers can routinely kill with at 1000 m.

You do not have to be a military sniper or an expert rifleman to make the 300 Savage work at 300 or more yards if you know the trajectory of the load you are shooting and the range of your target.

Just sayin...

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

639 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 1badf350, 007FJ, 64 invisible), 3,219 guests, and 1,353 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,372
Posts18,469,319
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.