Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Well I think I figured out my cork screw on my tune. I am catching my arm (slightly). I worked with my grip and got my broad heads and field points hitting together consistently out to 30yards. When I shoot I try to replicate a tree stand shooting position with my feet together. Any suggestions? 2013 Hoyt Spyder with a Scott release, shooting 450 pile drivers. Any recommendations on grips. I was going to trip the wood one and use tennis racket grip tape instead.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When you hit your arm it's usually because your draw length is too long.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
As has been pointed out long draw length will cause youmto hit your arm. The holding arm should have a slight bend at the elbow when at full draw. Grip is often overlooked as a cause of clearance problems. Death gripping the riser can torque the bow in or out. In will cause it to hit your arm. Both will drive a broadhead crazy. Finger tips placed lightly on the front of the riser ,if you can reach the far, will keep the bow straight in your hand. Looping the index finger and thumb around the riser works well also. Do not fall victim to the open handed all fingers off the bow technique. Vitually everyone grabs at the bow when trying this.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The hand that holds the bow,try turning your wrist slightly in instead of turned out.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Draw length too long and/or grip too deep. Turn your hand so that you grip the bow at about a 45 degree angle. Tucking two fingers under and wrapping the other tow around the grip will usually get your grip angle right. You need to get it sorted out because with a hunting jacket on things will only get worse.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by centershot
Draw length too long and/or grip too deep. Turn your hand so that you grip the bow at about a 45 degree angle. Tucking two fingers under and wrapping the other tow around the grip will usually get your grip angle right. You need to get it sorted out because with a hunting jacket on things will only get worse.

Yep. If one is shooting with a locked elbow, it's only normal for the handle to center in the yolk of thumb and index finger. That causes the arm to be positioned/twisted closer to the riser. (and string)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dontchokearchery.com
Will solve grip issues. I'm 27" draw and shoot lots of bows in the 29-30" range. It's all in the grip. Chances are you are putting too much palm in the grip instead of just allowing the thumb muscle to touch the grip area of the bow.
[Linked Image]

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Now, that pic shows the grip as well as you'll ever see.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The knuckles at 45� angle turn the arm in such a way that it's real hard to get string slap. A lot of grip training has gotten me to where I am today.

Custom Strings/Tuning
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I went back to the drawing board. My HOYT has a grove in the front of the riser. Stopped hitting my arm once I figured out it wasn't there for looks lol. I found if I put my top 3 fingers in the groove my grip is similar to the one above. I was too deep in the grip. I was shooting more like a handgun which was causing me to wrap too far around the riser putting pressure on the left side of the riser. I was really torquing the bow once I opened my hand. Hold is much more steady now. I was shooting 3inch groups before I left to hunt tonight at 35 yards. Still got a corkscrew. My flight is way better than 2 pros I watched last night on TV. I heard there might be a guy around here that might be pretty good at tuning bows lol Summer was over before I knew it. 280 I got 2 Hoyts for you once these tags get filled.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We can do Hoyts. Just let me know

Custom Strings/Tuning
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

This.

-Ken

Originally Posted by stringnut
As has been pointed out long draw length will cause youmto hit your arm. The holding arm should have a slight bend at the elbow when at full draw. Grip is often overlooked as a cause of clearance problems. Death gripping the riser can torque the bow in or out. In will cause it to hit your arm. Both will drive a broadhead crazy. Finger tips placed lightly on the front of the riser ,if you can reach the far, will keep the bow straight in your hand. Looping the index finger and thumb around the riser works well also. Do not fall victim to the open handed all fingers off the bow technique. Vitually everyone grabs at the bow when trying this.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (12344mag, 1234, 160user, 007FJ, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 55 invisible), 2,464 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,073
Posts18,482,653
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.