Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Lad is out of the Army now. 9 years in. I believe he got out as an E6. All the usual chit holes, Iraq, Afghanistan........
He is not adjusting, or transitioning well, to civilian life. He is not in distress, but just not blending back in.
I'll be visiting him next week, and would appreciate any tips on how to talk to him about it. That is, if he wants to talk about it.

Sam......

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
He'll get over it. Or not.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Get him all the help you can. We lose about 25 veterans EVERY DAY to suicide (literally one per hour, every day of the year).

If he wants to still use some of his skills to do good work/service, get him in touch with these folks: http://www.teamrubiconusa.org/

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I wish I could give you some ideas Sam but I got nothing, I do wish you and him the best of luck and will pray for him. If you get a chance please thank him for his service for me.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 4ager
Get him all the help you can. We lose about 25 veterans EVERY DAY to suicide (literally one per hour, every day of the year).

Damn, what a friggin' shame.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 12344mag

We have lost more to suicide since 9/11 than we have in Iraq and Afghanistan combined. The shame is on us for not knowing this and not doing anything about it.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
/

This.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Pete is a good lad, always has been. Thanks for the thoughts and prayers.

Sam......

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Wish I had an answer for you Sam. If were my I think I would just try to be a friend. No pressure and quiet time are not bad things.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pete is a good lad, always has been. Thanks for the thoughts and prayers.

I stand corrected. LOTS of prayers.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Lad is out of the Army now. 9 years in. I believe he got out as an E6. All the usual chit holes, Iraq, Afghanistan........
He is not adjusting, or transitioning well, to civilian life. He is not in distress, but just not blending back in.
I'll be visiting him next week, and would appreciate any tips on how to talk to him about it. That is, if he wants to talk about it.

A good woman, time, and new experiences to give him a renewed perspective on life. If he's not working and has still has his GI bill it might be time to spend it, on a campus with lots of coeds.....

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 12344mag

We have lost more to suicide since 9/11 than we have in Iraq and Afghanistan combined. The shame is on us for not knowing this and not doing anything about it.

If you call the VA you get a recording that says if you are thinking about hurting yourself call 1-800-***-****, After listening to that recording about twenty time I start having thoughts about hurting myself. That damned recording could drive anyone nuts.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sam,

He needs to be around other vets. In order for him to start addressing his demons he needs to be where he can let them run freely. He needs his brothers in arms.

See if you can get him to join the VFW, or American Legion, or something of the sort. He needs a support structure. One that the civilian world just cannot provide.

I'd also see about contacting the local VA, VFW, or American Legion and let them know that there is a vet that needs "battle buddies". Every vet knows what that means. They will rally. They will take accountability. They are plugged into local programs and counselling services that can provide help. They can advise you better than we can from afar.

The dude needs to be plugged in, not left unplugged, if you know what I mean.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
HAJ, I appreciate those thoughts. That is what I am looking for now.

Sam......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
HAJ ^^^^ Great advice.^^^^

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
HAJ, I appreciate those thoughts. That is what I am looking for now.

I'll be praying for him my friend. I hope he can find that one bunch that takes their oath to leave no man behind seriously.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Why did he get out? Some people are born soldiers. They fit the army lifestyle and it fits them. Would he be better off reenlisting?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I wish him well. Many have trouble transitioning to civilian life. It's a soldier's lot.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Best of luck, Sam. Thank him for his service for me...

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In the service, you have a purpose and are part of something. There is something that you belong to and those around you belong to. Once out, you lose that purpose, you lose authority, you loss power to get things done, and you lose your support team of people that can happily bitch about a common cause.

It gets lonely.

I know a story about a Vietnam Vet who did 4 tours. Went in at 18, with work at a gas station as his only job experience. After 8 years of directing artillery, calling in airstrikes, leading platoons zapping Charlie and the NVA, he kind of enjoyed the power and authority he had. This was something he was good at.

He was trained in the art of war, and excelled. When the war ran down, all he had to look forward to was working in a gas station. He stayed as an advisor to Marvin and ran some funky stuff in Laos as things deteriorated and then came home. He was worthless for quite a while afterwards. He wasn't trained for peace. GI Bill helped him.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

647 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 1234, 65 invisible), 16,817 guests, and 1,050 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,193
Posts18,543,431
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.