Hop To
Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
drover,

I would argue that using data from ONE manual is far more skewed than using an average of data from several sources, which is what I did. But let�s try some other numbers of the sort you suggest.

Loading data is complicated by the fact that the SAAMI maximum average pressure for the .204 is 57,500 PSI, and for the .223 55,000 PSI, which is no doubt why the SAAMI �suggestion� for muzzle velocity for 40-grain bullets from both cartridges is almost identical, 3775 for the .204 and 3770 for the .223. But I couldn�t find any presently listed factory loads that adhere to those numbers.

I did find two 40-grain .204 factory loads listed at 3900 fps, but have tested both in the 24� barrels (the SAAMI standard) in my own rifles and came up with an average of 3727 fps. The other two 40-grain factory .204 loads I could find are listed at 3625 and 3650 fps, for an average of 3737.5. The only two .223 factory loads I could find are both listed at 3700 fps.

There still isn�t a vast amount of .204 handloading data, especially when compared to the .223, and some I rejected for comparison purposes because the .223 pressures were CUP and the .204 PSI. Also, a few companies still pressure-test in one barrel then chronograph velocities in a commercial rifle, on the theory that this results in a �representative� velocity. I only compared pressure data derived by the same method in both rounds, with velocities from the same barrel as the pressure data.

The reason I used the same powder charge weight when calculating recoil with the Sierra formula is that in my own .204�s and .223�s I�ve used charges of around 28 for 40�s. In my .204�s I use 27.0 grains of Ramshot TAC (their maximum listed charge), partly because TAC is one of the faster powders in the .204. In three different rifles with 24� barrels, and with three different 40-grain bullets, this charge produced an average of 3752 fps.

In the .223 I used both 28.0 grains of TAC and 27.0 Benchmark with 40�s. Both are the maximum listed or very close to it. In this instance neither of the .223�s used had a 24� barrel. Instead one had a 26� and the other 22�, so I adjusted the velocities by adding or subtracting 25 fps for each inch of barrel length. They averaged 3809 fps.

I used the same barrel-length velocity adjustment for published handloading data, because a couple of the .204 rifles used for data have 26� barrels. The average for top velocities with 40-grain bullets in the .204 came out to 3730 fps, and for the .223 3799 fps.

Averaging all of this data result in a 72 fps velocity difference in favor of the .223. This is a little more than the 100 fps difference I used in calculating the recoil numbers, probably due to the small difference in SAAMI pressure between the rounds. (The formulas used were a couple I came up with empirically from loading data, but afterward they were confirmed as valid by the late Don Miller, the same guy who came up with the Miller bullet-stability formula, now pretty much considered the industry standard.)

On the other hand, the powder charge I used could reasonably be dropped a grain in the .204. Using a velocity of 3728 fps and a powder charge of 27 grains in the fps for the .204, Sierra�s recoil program resulted in 3.9 foot-pounds or recoil, a .1 reduction from the first number quoted.

Thank you for the long explanation of your position on this subject.
I will point out to you again that in my second post I used the max data from two manuals, not one as you state.

However I find most of your data flawed by the fact that it is speculative by the use of your load data and your "adjustments" to the load data. Why not just average published load data and work from that? Or even average out the max charges and velocities from the load manuals? Perhaps because it will not give you the results you wish? Anyone can use any data they wish to in order to make a point to prove their position - which is what you have done here.

Also there may not be a vast amount of loading data as compared to the 223 but certainly there is enough to be able to make fair comparisons, you are playing with words here.

As far as you using only PSI data. If you care to re-read my original post in my averages I only used 204 PSI data versus 223 PSI in order to have a fair comparison.

You cite the 10% difference in recoil as reflected in the Sierra program as if it carries a great significance yet that is only .3, or to be generous,.4 ft/lbs difference. If recoil is only 3.5, or possibly, 3.9 ft/lbs in either case it is not so over powering that it should cause one to lose sight of their shots.

As far as citing the Sierra program as definitive, is there any proof that it is more correct than the JBM program?

You mentioned how the first time you shot a 204 you noticed that it recoiled less that the 223. The first time I shot a 204 I noticed that the recoil felt identical to me. But even more than the felt recoil, which is subjective, I have never had a problem seeing hits with either caliber using the 40's in either caliber. I accept that some folks do, but I suspect if they did not know if they were shooting a 204 with 40's or a 223 with 40's that they could not tell the difference, either in felt recoil or seeing the hits. It all comes back to perceiving the expected results.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
WGAF?

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I don't.

Which is why I'll stick to the Mag Deuce....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by huntsman22
WGAF?

Laffin. I know I don't give that much of a f**k.

All I know is that I don't believe I could perceive the miniscule difference in recoil if I tried.

As for the poll, I feel people will always have the tendency to choose the smaller cartridge...........

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Did somebody say mag deuce?
[Linked Image]

IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
When housed in the Vixen, its the Super Deuce....

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O.K. Shrap. Thattsa yer cue.......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Vixens rock. Ain't no doubt about it.....
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'll bet shrap is setting back laughing his azz off. He don't even have to lift a finger to derail a 204 thread. He has you two pimps doing his dirty work.......grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am way too easy. Just a broken down old gun whore......

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by huntsman22
WGAF?

People that want to try and compete with the .17 Rem.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The bucket brigade rules!

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M

drover,

Thanks for listing your objections.

Before going further, let me explain my methodology a little more. Instead of averaging the maximum velocities of ALL load data, I averaged only the fastest velocities from each company�s data for each cartridge. This provides the best idea of the potential velocity of each cartridge, rather than including data for less suitable powders.

I also wanted to compare pressures taken with the same type of equipment from each company, in order to compare apples to apples. Hodgdon�s top 40-grain velocities in the .223 were taken with copper-crusher equipment, while all their .204 data is piezo, so I didn�t include their data.

As for the 25 fps/inch adjustment for barrels longer or shorter than the standard SAAMI 24�, that�s pretty much the industry standard. But to be fair, I went back and averaged the results of handloads from the 22� and 26� barrels on my two present bolt-action .223�s, and the result turn out to be a slightly faster than when using the 25 fps adjustment, though the difference was under 10 fps. This tends to validate the adjustment.

I also went back and listed every present source of data I could find for 40-grain bullets in the .223, including the fastest velocities regardless of barrel length. I own all the latest manuals from Barnes, Berger, Hornady, Norma, Nosler, Sierra and Speer, but looked up Accurate, Alliant, Hodgdon, Ramshot and Vihtavuori on the Internet. Only Barnes and Norma didn�t list 40-grain bullets in the .223.

One anomaly stuck WAY out: The fastest listed velocity in Speer�s latest (14th) manual for 40-grain bullets was only 3557 fps. Even from the 22� barrel of their test rifle this seems very slow, since the next lowest velocity, 3674 fps, was from Hodgdon�s copper-crusher data. But Speer is one company that uses a pressure-barrel to determine max loads, then chronographs the data in a factory rifle. I don�t regard this as valid pressure/velocity data, but for the sake or your argument included it in the average, which turned out to be 3744 fps�which still averages higher than the top 40-grain velocity from all data for the .204.

You may find it interesting that the two companies that tested the .204 in 26� barrels and the .223 in 24� barrels, Berger and Nosler, list a higher 40-grain velocity for the .223, despite the 2� barrel advantage for the .204. (Oh, and the higher SAAMI pressure for the .204.) In the Berger manual the difference is 44 fps in favor of the .223, and in the Nosler it�s 45 fps.

Since the lowest top velocity I could find with 40-grain bullets in the .223 is Speer�s 3557 fps, I am very curious where you found two loads that averaged 3553 fps.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
2muchgun,

I love this line from your post about perceived recoil in the .204 and .223: "As for the poll, I feel people will always have the tendency to choose the smaller cartridge...."

Gee, you think that might be because smaller cartridges recoil less?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
2muchgun,

I love this line from your post about perceived recoil in the .204 and .223: "As for the poll, I feel people will always have the tendency to choose the smaller cartridge...."

Gee, you think that might be because smaller cartridges recoil less?

That may very well be, of course. And in most cases, they do recoil less. But there are times when this could seem to be true on the surface, yet the smaller cartridge/combo could, in fact, recoil a bit more. You know what I mean, and I know I don't have to cite examples for you (and really don't want to have togrin. )

Anyway, I'm not arguing with you on this. I'm not taking this quite as seriously as yourself and Drover, but enjoy the discussion nonetheless. I don't dispute anything you said. Just telling you my feelings/experience.

As I stated, if said 204 combo does recoil less than said 223 combo, so be it. But again, I think you guys are splitting hairs. It isn't enough for ME to tell/feel, or to affect MY seeing hits. And, as stated, I feel other factors would have greater influence in that regard, than the minute difference in recoil energy .

JMO......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Did somebody say mag deuce?
[Linked Image]

Not once but at least 4 times...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Was waiting for that. You're getting slow in your old age grin

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Oh, I'm not taking it all that seriously--except a little with drover. But I actually like to investigate ballistic minutiae, since the investigation often inspires articles.

But I was also having a lot of fun with the U.P bars tangent. Haven't been there since 2000, when my wife was writing an upland game cookbook and we put 12,000 miles on the pickup, traveling around the country to collect wild birds for her kitchen experiments. She refuses to cook pen-raised birds, since they're different than wild birds, and as far as I can determine nobody's ever pen-raised woodcock, the reason we were in the U.P.

We got real lucky and hit the woodcock flight right on the nose, thanks to a cold front. We also managed to pick up a few ruffed grouse, and spend some time amid the local culture. It's a living.

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Kirk,

How's the leg doing? I was wondering if your injury had started to affect your posting speed--or if slow posting was caused by shooting too many of those .222 MAGNUMS. There's plenty of evidence that excessive recoil can rattle the brain, or cause physical injury.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I'll bet he can't watch PDs disarticulate through the scope on one of those hard kicking mag deuces...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (1Longbow, 219 Wasp, 160user, 17CalFan, 22250rem, 12344mag, 54 invisible), 2,072 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,011
Posts18,481,492
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.