Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm pretty excited about this and looking forward to driving up to the panhandle to wet a hook.

Tiger muskies are coming to Panhandle

By Ed Godfrey
October 12, 2014

[Linked Image]

Oklahoma anglers are getting a new species to fish for as the state Wildlife Department plans to introduce tiger muskies in Lake Carl Etling in the Panhandle.

The tiger muskies � a cross between a northern pike and a muskie � will be added to Lake Carl Etling as an experiment, said Ken Cunningham, assistant chief of fisheries for the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation.

�We think we have the potential to develop a trophy tiger muskie fishery in that lake, something we don't have in Oklahoma,� Cunningham said.

The Wildlife Department traded with Wyoming for 200 10-inch tiger muskies that will be put in Lake Carl Etling later this month, Cunningham said.

The lake has been low, but has risen enough to allow for the addition of the fish, he said.

In the beginning, the fishing for tiger muskies will be catch-and-release only to protect the population and allow the fish to grow to trophy-size. Tiger muskies can get as large as 30 inches in length and weigh 30 pounds or more.

�We are not really sure how fast it will take them to get up to that size (in Lake Carl Etling), but we are thinking four to five years, depending on the growth rate,� Cunningham said.

Tiger muskies are primarily found in Canada and the Great Lakes, but many states stock the fish, including New Mexico, where two reservoirs have become trophy tiger muskie destinations in recent years: Quemado and Blue Water.

Cunningham said New Mexico introduced tiger muskies, a carnivorous fish, in those reservoirs to control the goldfish and white sucker populations. As a bonus, the tiger muskies became a fish that anglers like to pursue.

�The fish have gotten really big and a following has developed in the last five years,� Cunningham said.

�It generated some excitement over there and we hope to do the same thing here.�

Lake Carl Etling was chosen for the tiger muskie experiment because the lake has an overpopulation of large shad.

Lake Carl Etling also used to be stocked with northern pike in the 1960s and 1970s, he said.

�The northern pike traditionally have done pretty well there, so we think it is a good candidate to try it out,� Cunningham said.

State wildlife officials want to see how well the tiger muskie does in Lake Carl Etling before considering adding the fish to other Oklahoma lakes, Cunningham said.

�We may end up identifying other Oklahoma lakes that might be viable candidates,� he said.

State wildlife officials still plan to add trout to Lake Carl Etling this winter as usual, even though tiger muskies are known as voracious eaters that will devour almost anything in the water.

The main diet of tiger muskies is fish and small birds.

Because there are so many shad in Lake Carl Etling, state wildlife officials think the baitfish will become the primary food item for tiger muskies, Cunningham said.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We got them in a local lake, brought a few to the boat but never got one in.
Hard to do with 4 lb test and a small net.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Wonder why tigers? Kinda weird. Well...they get a lot bigger than 30" that's for sure! I caught a 45" a few years back. They're fun to catch.

Camp is where you make it.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Are them things good to eat?

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tzone
Wonder why tigers? Kinda weird. Well...they get a lot bigger than 30" that's for sure! I caught a 45" a few years back. They're fun to catch.

I don't think tiger muskie can reproduce. When I lived in NY they introduced them to lakes that had a over population of panfish.

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Sweet! Maybe by the time I'm ready to move back there'll be so hogs in there.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Tigers are stocked to control smaller species, mostly perch and minnow/ sucker types....... they do not reproduce, so the number you stock is the number you get.... and the big bonus , they grow faster then their relatives, northern pike and pure breed muskies. Way fun to catch , but tend to be difficult in winter. The other bonus is they like chasing surface lures. We just got some here in North central Wyoming and it has renewed my love of baitcasting reels!!!!!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A good "bucket biologist" could get what he wants in any lake smirk ...get her done... smile

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tigers are something else. They were hybridized for the purpose of cleaning out junk fish then dying out as they are mules. A Tiger will barf up a full stomach in order to kill again and they get LOTS bigger than 30" long. 30 inches here is MINIMUM length.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
My friend caught a 50 incher in Southern Wi.years ago.40 some pounds as I recall.No 30" fish would ever weigh 30 pounds more like eight or nine pounds.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
IC B3

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
So, I take it they ain't good table fare. They are just fun to catch like carp and tarpon.

Founder

WS

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tiger's aren't too bad and I think they are better tasting then Northern. I think the record for Tiger's is around 54" in Vilas County Wi. They are definitely eating machines and and the Trout population will feel it.

"Jerry is dead, Phish suck time to get a job "
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They ARE good chow. Northern Pike are delicious,so are Muskie but are bony as Hell

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Thanks! Hell we don't have that stuff here. But I have been known to frequent the Quemado NM area. May havta check out the fishing! wink.

Founder

WS

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Kiss any other fish in that lake goodbye laugh those are eating machines.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Not sure about tigers but Northerns are great eating. Just need to filet them in such a manner as to not have a filet full of bones.

We went on a fly out pike fishing trip this summer and brought back 80# or so of fish. A couple for practice and a few YouTube videos and I had the cleaning method down pretty good.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That lake probably sees 3 visitors a year. Shoot your rifle at the right angle from that lake and you could probably hit New Mexico..

I think they're hoping to bring in some business by having something fun to fish for...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How deep is this lake? I am surprise that they would introduce them this far south.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The TMs have gotten fairly big in the lake near here, and they cook up and taste like Northerns. Someone already noted the bony issue. Fun fishing but, as Keith said, hard on the trout.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
They are good eating, better than Northerns, but can't keep them here if they are under 50". Boated a 52.5 here last week, not a Tiger though, a Leech lake strain

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

124 members (35, arky65, 240NMC, 10Glocks, afisher, Aviator, 11 invisible), 1,525 guests, and 802 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,601
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.