Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I love Oregon.

Fireball, come over into the Great Harney Basin in south east Oregon and you'll find all the rattlesnakes you can stand at one time. grin

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I will always give a non venomous snake a pass if not flat encourage them taking up roots in my area. That being said, when it comes to venomous snakes within my home perimeter whether that be at home or camping, I will yield to the side of caution depending on what's going on at that time.

Last edited by JimHnSTL; 10/12/14.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used to let venomous snakes get the pass until I let one walk and either the same copperhead or his twin put two into my buddies achiles whilst scouting together in the same spot I let the one walk a couple weeks before.

I simply couldn't bear taking a kid or friend back to a spot where they might get bitten by the same snake I let walk again. Now they die and usually with a stick to the neck then skinned and fried, works to soothe the guilt wink.

Lowcountry Wildlife Management
Knowing Wildlife Beyond Science
[email protected]
Genesis 9;2
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I can think of no benefits a venomous snake possesses over a non-venomous snake. Having seen the results of venomous strikes on people and livestock - 38 shot loads are in my pistol and pocket about 8 months out of the year!
Bullsnakes are my friends, BTW.

Mark

PS I killed a rattler last week - temperature 48*
Watch yourselves!

Last edited by mark shubert; 10/12/14. Reason: Add PS

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've never seen a Copperhead that big in TX. That's a hoss!

Like the Poobah says, the variety down here are usually much brighter in color and not near as thick. They don't get a a pass on our Ranch. Rattlers or any Venomous snake gets a 12 ga filled with # 9 shot .
I won't take any chance on my nieces or nephews, or my buddies bird dogs getting bit!

Last edited by chlinstructor; 10/12/14.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is when they really scare me- when they congregate in numbers- usually just before or after winter hybernation-

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?...t=vb.158931732594&type=2&theater

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
He really blended in with the leaves.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Strick9
I used to let venomous snakes get the pass until I let one walk and either the same copperhead or his twin put two into my buddies achiles whilst scouting together in the same spot I let the one walk a couple weeks before.

I simply couldn't bear taking a kid or friend back to a spot where they might get bitten by the same snake I let walk again. Now they die and usually with a stick to the neck then skinned and fried, works to soothe the guilt wink.

Exactly! Do you guys fry up moccasins down your way? I've seen some fat ones that almost caused me to shoot off my foot while walking through low country waters.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by byc
As many as we see now around the Carolina's now there's really no choice but to kill them. They're establishing colonies and actually chasing folks..
EEk.. Happens to me and I'd leave a ton of bacon stripes in my shorts
Sorry Ingwe but they don't just leave and they're not pet friendly. Be happy to send you a few along with some strychnine and a tambourine. laugh
That...
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver
For me, venomous snakes are the Devils creatures and I shoot them on sight.
Amen, brother..

Those - and SKUNKS... The ONE creature I'd love to see leave this earth for-evah...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
I was not aware of a strain of Northern and Southern Copperheads like Ingwe mentioned. Did a little googling and discovered that NC leads the US in Snakebites, largely due to Copperheads. It appears ya'll have enough for everybody.

Oh, Damn a snake.

I hadn't had a chance to get that statement in there yet.
wink

They get kind off ornery this time of year also, and tend to hang out around out buildings and woodpiles. Combine that with all the inbred, mouth breathing, bubbas we have and you have a great recipe for disaster.

IC B3

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I was hunting a state impoundment in November about 10 years ago and was picking up a decoy bag that had floated off to the other side. In order to do so I had to brace myself on the bank with my off hand. My buddy who was with me grabbed my shoulder and jerked me back saying there was a copperhead coiled up within a couple feet of my hand. The only thing that kept him from striking was the light frost that we had that morning as he must have been a little sluggish. We were a 15 minute boat ride and 45 minute car ride to the nearest hospital so it could have been a bad situation if I or my dog had gotten bit.

Poisonous snakes get the business end of a shotgun around my house. Luckily in my area we very rarely see rattlers but copperheads are around. I've only had to take care of one in the 6 years I've lived in our home and he was in the woods not near the house.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Back when I was a little kid mom got the scare of her life early one morning by a copperhead coiled up on the seat 'hole' in our outhouse. Luckily she looked over her shoulder to center up on the seat first before she committed to sitting down.

I was playing outside in the backyard at the time when all of a sudden I heard her screaming "snake! - snake! - snake!" and calling out for my dad. I look up and see her with her bloomers still down around her ankles scooting her feet as fast as she could back up the path toward the house.

Dad came running out the back door, snatched up a garden hoe and commenced to dragging the copperhead from the outhouse and chopped it's head off. Pretty traumatic for mom and no doubt dad too but to a little boy of about 3 or 4 was some exciting high adventure.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I hate snakes, litte non killers dont bother me. But how in their right phooking mind would let a deadly snake go.

I wouldn't want to be respncible for someone else or a good pet getting wacked, it should be a civic duty to kill them.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Uh, Rockchuck, this is how you cook a snake.

Or other annoying creatures...

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I would've made a hatband out of it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've heard of folks cooking up rattle snake meat, how does the copper hear or cotton mouth taste in comparison? any special caution in cleaning a venomous snake in regards to contaminating any of the meat with the venom?

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by viking
I hate snakes, litte non killers dont bother me. But how in their right phooking mind would let a deadly snake go.

I wouldn't want to be respncible for someone else or a good pet getting wacked, it should be a civic duty to kill them.

I had this discussion with Varmintguy some time back...

By that criteria it should be our civic duty to pull bad drivers over and kill them too. ( And Id really like to sometimes....) They are responsible for far more deaths than snakes....

Yes...I am the voice in the dark. Speaking for snakes who can't speak for themselves! laugh

Point of fact is that I hunted and killed 100s of them, and learned a more innocuous creature would be very hard to find indeed.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
We have prisons for people and sometimes executions ( not enough).

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've ate fried rattlesnake in Opp, Alabama. It's mighty damn tasty.

KFC should start offering it in buckets, but it might chase off 90% of their clientel.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (1234, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 62 invisible), 2,681 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,296
Posts18,525,824
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.