Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by achadwick

Nah...they'll just come along and counter your very well stated point by using the Bible itself to justify their 'judging' of others. Jesus Himself said not to judge others. But these guys actually twist other Bible verses to suit their needs...

You seem to be saying that, in your judgment, it is morally wrong for someone to judge another person. Did I get that right?

Translation = We want to be able to judge and condemn homosexuals for their sin of homosexuality, even though we remain sinners ourselves. We want to be able to condemn and judge homosexuals for their 'continuation' in sin, even though we 'continue' to be sinners ourselves. And when someone points out the hypocrisy of 'that'...we will accuse them of 'judging' us.

Translation: I want to be able to judge and condemn people who express an opinion different than mine by blaming their faith, even though I am judging them in a fashion I condemn them for doing. I want to be able to condemn and judge people for their 'continuation' in their unchanging view, even though I 'continue' to be a stubborn ass as well. And when someone points out the hypocrisy of 'that'...I will accuse them of 'judging' me.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

They'll meet each other "up there" if the Shinto doctor also repents as he is gasping his last.

Yet you somehow think this is a moral?

I'm not quite sure what you mean here but it' not what I or you think is right or wrong or some kind of standard unless it's predicated on the Word of God; it's His universe; His rules. To cut to the elements, I refer to John 3:16, which allows the Shinto doctor, the Muslim, and the atheist to be saved in the end if they come to Christ in intellectual assent AND trust for payment of sins.

But this thread took an off-ramp somewhere a couple of miles back. In my OP, I was simply trying to make the point that those of us in this country with traditional, conservative values, whether practicing Christians or not, are losing it. And it may be inevitable as I've come to generally see politics, politicians and government as primarily concerned with self-preservation and unable or unwilling to divert that interest to solving real problems.

Additionally, we now have an elite, political ideology-media complex that is increasingly hostile to conservatism and our way of life. And that is the cold, new civil war I was referring to.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Why did we leave sammiches?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

If you were here with me this morning it would have been a fried egg sandwich with a couple of sausage links and black coffee.

Would that work? smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RWE
Translation: I want to be able to judge and condemn people who express an opinion different than mine by blaming their faith, even though I am judging them in a fashion I condemn them for doing. I want to be able to condemn and judge people for their 'continuation' in their unchanging view, even though I 'continue' to be a stubborn ass as well. And when someone points out the hypocrisy of 'that'...I will accuse them of 'judging' me.

I reckon' we could also accuse our pastors for 'judging' us when they point out certain things in their sermons that 'sting' us individually. Seems to be real important to many Bible Taliban to be able to condemn...not "express an opinion", but condemn...homosexuals for their sin. Not drunks, liars, cheaters, or any other sin that exists (especially their own)...just homosexuals. And the Bible Taliban will go to great lengths, obviously, to justify their hatred of homosexuals...while at the same time loudly professing their 'Christianity'.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

If you were here with me this morning it would have been a fried egg sandwich with a couple of sausage links and black coffee.

Would that work? smile

Damn near anything stuck between 2 pieces of bread works. Kind of like anything on a stick.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RWE

I reckon' we could also accuse our pastors for 'judging' us when they point out certain things in their sermons that 'sting' us individually. Seems to be real important to many Bible Taliban to be able to condemn...not "express an opinion", but condemn...homosexuals for their sin. Not drunks, liars, cheaters, or any other sin that exists (especially their own)...just homosexuals. And the Bible Taliban will go to great lengths, obviously, to justify their hatred of homosexuals...while at the same time loudly professing their 'Christianity'.

It is narrow minded to see this as a one issue focus.

My current pastor spends no more time on homosexuality than any other sin. Pretty well hammers them all. Adultery, excess, materialism, coveting, stealing, you name it. Spends a lot of time on pride and denial though.

My previous one never mentioned homosexuality at all. Ever.

Turns out his son was gay.

Maybe many folks wouldn't be so inclined to keep posting about it all the time, if it wasn't being overtly publicized in day to day everything.

I don't see groups promoting murder, or thievery, or many other actions primarily considered sin in Christian culture, but you can't go a day without somebody suing for or promoting a protected class based on what some folks consider a sin.

How is that not going to get people mad enough to vent via posting?

What's worse is why, unless you have a vested interest, does it bother you so much.

If you really are just a crusader against hypocrisy, than you have plenty of other material to choose from. By making the issue single topic, you are presenting as a biased source.

If you are a biased source, maybe its your bias, or the extent that other people's bias affects you that needs addressing.

edit: For the record, I think its a sin, but I have more important things to worry about.

And if I bow up publically against it, its not because of the sin, its because someone has decided that I must feel different about it, under penalty of law.

That's [bleep] bullshit.

Last edited by RWE; 10/15/14.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Seems people can answer for themselves when/if the day comes. Not my concern in the least, most especially if there are sammiches and pie available.

Peter best have a piece of pie ready when I hit them pearly gates.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm about ready for a sammich.

Or some squirrel and cornbread tamales, on a stick, if need be

and an ice cold beer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RWE
Originally Posted by RWE

It is narrow minded to see this as a one issue focus.

My current pastor spends no more time on homosexuality than any other sin. Pretty well hammers them all. Adultery, excess, materialism, coveting, stealing, you name it. Spends a lot of time on pride and denial though.

My previous one never mentioned homosexuality at all. Ever.

Turns out his son was gay.

Maybe many folks wouldn't be so inclined to keep posting about it all the time, if it wasn't being overtly publicized in day to day everything.

I don't see groups promoting murder, or thievery, or many other actions primarily considered sin in Christian culture, but you can't go a day without somebody suing for or promoting a protected class based on what some folks consider a sin.

How is that not going to get people mad enough to vent via posting?

What's worse is why, unless you have a vested interest, does it bother you so much.

If you really are just a crusader against hypocrisy, than you have plenty of other material to choose from. By making the issue single topic, you are presenting as a biased source.

If you are a biased source, maybe its your bias, or the extent that other people's bias affects you that needs addressing.

edit: For the record, I think its a sin, but I have more important things to worry about.

And if I bow up publically against it, its not because of the sin, its because someone has decided that I must feel different about it, under penalty of law.

That's [bleep] bullshit.

Excellent post.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by achadwick

Nah...they'll just come along and counter your very well stated point by using the Bible itself to justify their 'judging' of others. Jesus Himself said not to judge others. But these guys actually twist other Bible verses to suit their needs...

You seem to be saying that, in your judgment, it is morally wrong for someone to judge another person. Did I get that right?

Translation = We want to be able to judge and condemn homosexuals for their sin of homosexuality, even though we remain sinners ourselves. We want to be able to condemn and judge homosexuals for their 'continuation' in sin, even though we 'continue' to be sinners ourselves. And when someone points out the hypocrisy of 'that'...we will accuse them of 'judging' us.

antlers,

Your posts suggest that you might have embraced the postmodern philosophy of the Emerging Church. IMO, while the Emerging Church movement does have important insights from which traditional Christianity can learn much (hypocrisy, like you point out, for example) the core philosophy of postmodernism is completely incompatible with the Gospel. Here is a very good book written by R. Scott Smith that examines this issue in considerable detail:

Truth and the New Kind of Christian: Effects of Postmodernism in the Church

IMO it would be worth your time to read it.

Last edited by achadwick; 10/15/14.

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

They'll meet each other "up there" if the Shinto doctor also repents as he is gasping his last.

I'm not quite sure what you mean here but it' not what I or you think is right or wrong or some kind of standard unless it's predicated on the Word of God; it's His universe; His rules. To cut to the elements, I refer to John 3:16, which allows the Shinto doctor, the Muslim, and the atheist to be saved in the end if they come to Christ in intellectual assent AND trust for payment of sins.

But this thread took an off-ramp somewhere a couple of miles back. In my OP, I was simply trying to make the point that those of us in this country with traditional, conservative values, whether practicing Christians or not, are losing it. And it may be inevitable as I've come to generally see politics, politicians and government as primarily concerned with self-preservation and unable or unwilling to divert that interest to solving real problems.

Additionally, we now have an elite, political ideology-media complex that is increasingly hostile to conservatism and our way of life. And that is the cold, new civil war I was referring to.

George, and the rare creature know as a libertarian minded Conservative atheist, I agree with your last two paragraphs. I do not agree with what I perceived as your contention in the OP that it's necessary to be Christian to stand for small government, self reliance, earning your own way, and as a nation, living withing our means. Unfortunately, history indicates a real crisis must present itself before we will be able to correct our course.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think my signature line sums up my perspective on the OP...

The Bible I read shows all of the followers of Jesus, and the Old Testament followers of God as a bunch of screw ups.

Jesus said that he chose the base things of the world.

I don't know why anyone would expect the modern day followers to be any different than the originals...

I see my fellow Christians just as they are. Sick, twisted, messed up, jerks. I'm no exception. It's why I need a Savior.

I'm glad Jesus was up for the job although I think He deserves a lot better...

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by HAJ
sick, twisted, messed up jerk

You may not be perfect, but you are better then that.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

George, and the rare creature know as a libertarian minded Conservative atheist, I agree with your last two paragraphs. I do not agree with what I perceived as your contention in the OP that it's necessary to be Christian to stand for small government, self reliance, earning your own way, and as a nation, living withing our means. Unfortunately, history indicates a real crisis must present itself before we will be able to correct our course.

Antelope, no "that" was not my contention. I did specifically mention and do know that non-Christians can generally share the same socio-economic-political values as Christians; I.e., the ones you mention. Absolutely. Now, honestly, ask yourself about the origin of those values. smile

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Antelope, no "that" was not my contention. I did specifically mention and do know that non-Christians can generally share the same socio-economic-political values as Christians; I.e., the ones you mention. Absolutely. Now, honestly, ask yourself about the origin of those values. smile

Not from the Bible if that's what you think.

Earliest OT text are dated to the 10th century CE, while the code of Hammurabi which quotes "an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth" dates to 1754 BCE.

The "golden rule" was know 2000 BCE in Egypt, and an equivalent is attributed to Buddhism, Confucianism, the Greeks, Romans, and the Hindu's back when they were still writing in Sanskrit.

Do you really think that before Moses brought down the 10 Commandments no one ever thought, "Hey maybe we shouldn't murder each other and take each others stuff"??

Really??

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Of course not; Cain murdered Abel. And then there were many, many more murders before Moses (who murdered an Egyptian by the way) and the Ten Commandments.

It's easy to fail to see the big picture--why God revealed these Commandments to Moses and to the generations beyond. I'll help. They were not only rules to help the Israelites live an ordered life by but they were a moral basis that would act as a "mirror" revealing sin when one referred to them. In other words, when honestly contemplated ("if you've broken one, you've broken the whole law") it becomes apparent that no one can keep any one of them let alone all of them. How then can we be saved?!

Another example, if there is no speed limit sign and you are going 75 mph, are you speeding? No. If there is a sign that says "65 mph" and you are going 75, you are speeding, or in this case "sinning." The TCs revealed sin that was there before but not exposed.

They then help point the helpless-us-to another remedy for our predicament with God--Christ who pays the penalty for all our sin since we are doomed with no other way to please a just and holy God.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
George, now you are conflating the legal with the ethical. Speeding is a matter of law. Driving in a manner that endangers another is unethical regardless of you being over or under the speed limit. The TC's revealed nothing. There is nothing in the TC, except the four "marketing commandments" that had not been codified by earlier peoples.

As for no one being able to keep any of the commandments, that's BS. How many people have you murdered?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

I'll stop here because you obviously speak unknowingly. And that's not a criticism of you but we have no basis for conversing meaningfully.

In the NT, Jesus in the Sermon on the Mount (the Gospels) made it very clear that if you hate your "brother," you've broken the commandment, "you shall not murder."

"If you lust after another "in your heart", you've committed adultery."

Still innocent?

Antelope, I'm willing to discuss if you are seriously interested in learning and coming to Christ but not if you are bent on refuting that which you don't understand.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

I'll stop here because you obviously speak unknowingly. And that's not a criticism of you but we have no basis for conversing meaningfully.

In the NT, Jesus in the Sermon on the Mount (the Gospels) made it very clear that if you hate your "brother," you've broken the commandment, "you shall not murder."

"If you lust after another "in your heart", you've committed adultery."

Still innocent?

Antelope, I'm willing to discuss if you are seriously interested in learning and coming to Christ but not if you are bent on refuting that which you don't understand.

Your version doesn't exactly match the King James:
Matthew:

5:21 Ye have heard that it was said of them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment:
5:22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

Of course, that just goes to my earlier conversation with Ringman regarding how we don't REALLY know what was in the original Biblical Manuscripts.

As for your quote on adultery, it's a THOUGHT CRIME. George Orwell would be proud.

George, as I've said before, it's about the evidence, and the evidence does not support your contention regarding the Bible being the word of the one true God and the ultimate moral guide.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (17CalFan, 160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 55 invisible), 2,325 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,517
Posts18,490,928
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.