Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
I would like to get a pre70 FWT in 270/30-06 down to 6 pounds.

Any common way to do it?

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
David Copperfield may be able in that a magician with a file may be involved. smile

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If it can be done I would sure like to see it! My standard less stock and stock metal weighs 5 1/2 lbs.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
16" barrel turned to a pencil and the stock drilled with 100 holes. Sorry I had to! It may be possible but not without a lot of work and money.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
You can get close with an Edge compact, or a Brown Pounder. Close being within a few ounces. I had a pre 64 fwt with a classic 280 fwt barrel, talleys and a vxlll 3.5x10 that was within an ounce or two of 7lbs (empty).

IC B2

TDN Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you started with an 06, lost the sights, took 1" off the barrel, Brown Pound'r stock, very light bedding and one of these pads: http://www.kebcollc.com/cart/store.php?crn=208&rn=676&action=show_detail

You might be real close...

"You know why nobody panic buys 30-06 ammo? ... Because men with 30-06's don't panic"
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I have a Post 64 270 XTR fwt in a brown pound'r, Talley lightweights, luepy 6x compact and ptg bottom metal and it comes in at 6lbs 10oz empty. I don't know what to do to get it lighter... Whoever bedded the stock added close to 8oz of bedding materials cause the stock comes in around 25oz with no pad or studs, not sure if I should redo that or not? I do remember seeing a thread on here a while ago of someone getting a post 64 just under 6lbs but he had some milling done... Hope that helps

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Good stuff to know--at some point I think I'm going to go for a pre FWT as a nice light rifle--coated metal, light stock, etc. If I can get down toward 6 pounds would be ideal.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Good luck with your venture. Keep us posted..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got a edged 06 with a vx-3x9 that weighs about 7.75lbs.
I've got a woodstocked 06 with a 2.5x8 that's about the same.

If you want a 6 pound fwt, I'd think about a Kimber.

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Just my opinion so it's not worth much but I don't think the P64 M70 is really designed to be a super light weight. There are better options, like the Kimber, if you want a CRF that is super light. I love my M70's but I accept them for what they are and super light weight is not what they are. Then again I've gotten away from the super light craze because I realized I'm fat and don't climb mountains and a little heavier gun is nice in a blind or tree stand.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I think my pre 64 model 70 fwt's are just about ideal. However, I'm saving those for when I'm old and fat. Until then, I hunt the hell out of my classic sporters. They get the brunt of the hunting duties if truth be known. I can pack one of those around all day long with no worries. BTDT...I plan on using my 9+ pound 338 Alaskan next month for elk season. I really don't mind the heft and have never thought it was a hindrance. A heavier rifle holds steadier in the field positions I shoot in (offhand and sitting or kneeling).

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I grew up hunting with a 30-30. So I've never hunted with a 10 pound beast, or any sort of magnum.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I dont think id be into a 6 pound 06, becuase my woodstocked fwt with the plastic plate thumps me pretty good. So a 7 and a half pound rifle fits me pretty well.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think you could with a combo of edge stock, machine lighting the receiver, carbon fiber wrapped barrel,talley lt wts, and the right scope.

Not my cup of tea.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by keystoneben
I grew up hunting with a 30-30. So I've never hunted with a 10 pound beast, or any sort of magnum.

I grew up with a heavy barreled custom m1917. It was 10 pounds plus. Most rifles are light by those standards.. wink

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You should drop the heavy rifles, that way you could carry two Kimbers and never notice the difference.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
A guy like you should be bragging up your pre 64 fwt's. Not the kimber's.. I have a couple good fwt's so not all of my rifles are heavy. I just don't biotch about packing or carrying any rifle or pack. It's just part of hunting. You're not the only one with nice fwt's here.. wink. Plus, you'd have to break both my arms to take my Alaskan and 375 H&H away. You should get some of those to round out your model 70 collection. I'll also let you in on a little secret. The 7 3/4 -8 pound rifles soak up more recoil than a 6 pound kimber. I was shooting my micky stocked 300 wsm EW tubed FN, my classic sporter 7mm rem mag and pre 64 30-06 fwt the other day and managed to fire off 120 rounds (40 rounds per rifle) of ammo in a few hours. You can't do that very comfortably with a 6 pound 300 magnum Kimber.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm just joking around because the topics about 5 pound rifles. I don't know if I'd be into a 338 or 375 for Pa. But I'd like to pick up a swift at some point.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Definitely agree I'd rather shoot my fwt the a six pound Kimber. But I'm thinking about picking up a 243 Montana.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I wouldn't mind a Montana 300 savage...It would probably kick like my fwt 06, but would be a fun little rifle to have..

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had a Kimber Montanan in a 325 wsm that thing was a sweetheart to shoot lost it in a river long story.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Should have been using a Ruger Zytel stocked rifle for that. You know the "boat paddle" Ruger. It would be hard for me to row a boat with a nice light Montana...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have to admit I have never spent a second thinking about making one of my rifles lighter.

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
I have an XTR FWT already that is about 6 3/8. That is with an HS stock on it from the old days.

I'd like to use a pre64 and get down a bit lighter. With a good straight stock and recoil pad, the 30-06 isn't bad at all at that weight.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I wouldn't mind a Montana 300 savage...It would probably kick like my fwt 06, but would be a fun little rifle to have..

With a 130TTSX going around 2900+ it is a nice push compared to a 165 from my Model 70 .308W FWT.

Last edited by battue; 10/17/14.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by battue

With a 130TTSX going around 2900+ it is a nice push compared to a 165 from my Model 70 .308W FWT.

Thanks battue. I think that would be the perfect bullet for the ol savage too. I think Scotty steelhead runs that one in his 300's..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I think it should work. Usually not this good, but 1.5 isn't uncommon at 200.

And with regards another thread the rifle is FLB.

Personally I wouldn't be messing with a Model 70 trying to arrive at 6lbs when Kimber already does the work for you in a similar package.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I agree with that. Good shooting buddy!! I'm still regretful I didn't have more time when I was in Pittsburg to come visit with you. I would have loved to check that rifle out!! Speaking of FLB rifles. My best shooter is FLB, but it is a CZ 550 American 9.3x62mm. It's so damn consistent that I can't believe it most times!! That rifle has 2 recoil lugs so I figured it would benefit greatly by glassing both recoil lugs and the length of the barrel channel and calling it a day:

[Linked Image]

This rifle doesn't falter a bit. I'm actually thinking about making it more winchesteresque: 3 position wing safety and probably a McMillan stock of sorts.. wink

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Nice and maybe another time.

And make that two threads. The barrel is a Douglas.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ha ha.. grin

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
....and yes, Scott is the reason this rifle was put together. The .300savage is a sleeper that was ahead of its time.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you want a 6 pound fwt, I'd think about a Kimber.

Kimber says its 7mm-08 Montana is 5 lbs 2 ounces

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
....and yes, Scott is the reason this rifle was put together. The .300savage is a sleeper that was ahead of its time.

That's an awesome package right there! Really, what can you not do with it???

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Leave that fine rifle alone and use it as it is.

You could save it's stock from wear and a pad by getting a lightweight syn. stock and save some weight also.

Instead buy a Kimber 84M. They are the state of the art for lightweight rifles.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Leave that fine rifle alone and use it as it is.

You could save it's stock from wear and a pad by getting a lightweight syn. stock and save some weight also.

Instead buy a Kimber 84M. They are the state of the art for lightweight rifles.

That almost makes too much sense. You been drinking tonight or what? grin

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Dakota: I will add my 2 $ worth to your question. A pre-64 70 featherweight action weighs 45 oz. A Rem. 700 long action 43 and a large ring 98 44 oz. so there is really not a lot of difference in action weights. The pre-64 aluminum floorplate is .75 oz. and the trigger guard is .86 oz. so a blind magazine is not going to save you much if anything. That leaves the barrel, stock and optics. The featherweight barrels are .560" at the muzzle which, depending on caliber is quite light, although in a .270 you might get down to .500". Talley lightweight mount/rings is quite light but I didn't weigh mine prior to installing.

However, here is some food for thought. There are some real trade-offs in superlight rifles. I prefer a much heavier rifle, even for mountain hunting and I am 66 years old. I've hunted with pre-64s almost exclusively for the past 30 years. I just got back from a Kodiak Island mountain goat hunt and my rifle was a pre-64 with 25" Douglas barrel in .300Win.weighing almost exactly 9 #. After a very hard climb along with the excitement, I am very glad I had a heavier rifle for holding steady. For mountain hunting, I would personally never want anything less than 8 lbs. I believe the disadvantages of the super lightweight rifles far outweigh the advantages when the moment of truth comes. Good Luck.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
No doubt heavier will hold a little steadier, but when shooting at the vitals the size of big game from field positions the advantage is not all that great. I've proven it to myself more than a few times.

Balance is the key to a great LW rifle.

Addition: Differences in individual body strength and size are also factors of what weight is best for one person over another. I'm on the LW side of the people scale. What works best for me may not be the same for a much bigger/stronger individual.

Last edited by battue; 10/21/14.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by ruffedgrouse
Dakota: I will add my 2 $ worth to your question. A pre-64 70 featherweight action weighs 45 oz. A Rem. 700 long action 43 and a large ring 98 44 oz. so there is really not a lot of difference in action weights. The pre-64 aluminum floorplate is .75 oz. and the trigger guard is .86 oz. so a blind magazine is not going to save you much if anything. That leaves the barrel, stock and optics. The featherweight barrels are .560" at the muzzle which, depending on caliber is quite light, although in a .270 you might get down to .500". Talley lightweight mount/rings is quite light but I didn't weigh mine prior to installing.

However, here is some food for thought. There are some real trade-offs in superlight rifles. I prefer a much heavier rifle, even for mountain hunting and I am 66 years old. I've hunted with pre-64s almost exclusively for the past 30 years. I just got back from a Kodiak Island mountain goat hunt and my rifle was a pre-64 with 25" Douglas barrel in .300Win.weighing almost exactly 9 #. After a very hard climb along with the excitement, I am very glad I had a heavier rifle for holding steady. For mountain hunting, I would personally never want anything less than 8 lbs. I believe the disadvantages of the super lightweight rifles far outweigh the advantages when the moment of truth comes. Good Luck.

Some good points and food for thought. I can add that a fwt barrel in 06 weighs 2lbs on the nose.
For myself, a rifle can be too light. To go to an extreme, if weight was the primary consideration it's hard to beat a pistol for lightweight!
At 7lbs scoped a rifle is as light as I care to hunt with and expect to shoot well. If I was backpacking in 10-15 miles with camp on my back for a week I could possibly be persuaded to go a little lighter!
As an aside, I also detest short barrels, short being anything under 22", and too long being anything over 24" in a bolt action. Being on the short side of 6' tall may have something to do with that. I've personally settled on a target weight of 7 1/4 to 7 1/2 lbs, scoped but empty, for typical deer cartridges. I suspect Jack O' knew a thing or two! You want to give me a 7mm mag or larger and I'm a lot happier with more weight, 8lbs for a 7 mag works for me.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
No doubt heavier will hold a little steadier, but when shooting at the vitals the size of big game from field positions the advantage is not all that great. I've proven it to myself more than a few times.

Balance is the key to a great LW rifle.

Addition: Differences in individual body strength and size are also factors of what weight is best for one person over another. I'm on the LW side of the people scale. What works best for me may not be the same for a much bigger/stronger individual.

Battue, have you shot the postal (positional) match yet? That's a great way to see what rifle handles best in different field positions. Doing that shoot can be an eye opener: A rifle that you thought fit you best may not work as well as another in certain field positions. Try that shoot if you haven't yet..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Funny in that I just saw that thread.

Ok will give it a go in a couple days with the Kimber. My printer is out of paper. Will make some up at work on Friday. Although the vitals of BG are obviously bigger than the circles, it should be a fun challenge.

Last edited by battue; 10/21/14.

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
I already have the XTR FWT at 6.25 and a Kimber Montana short action at 5.25. Neither has a stock that I really like for ergos. I'm really just focused on what can be done with a factory pre64 as I prefer the action and will put it into a very light synthetic stock. It sounds like I can get pretty close.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Ok will give it a go in a couple days with the Kimber. My printer is out of paper. Will make some up at work on Friday. Although the vitals of BG are obviously bigger than the circles, it should be a fun challenge.

It's a hoot. I was practicing with my 2008 limited edition 300 wsm with the extreme weather barrel and my pre 64 model 70 30-06 fwt. I was surprised, I was shooting the 300 wsm better in the offhand position. I shot a nice little 4 shot group with the 30-06 off of the sticks. I didn't want to post my target pictures because they weren't all in the circles blush grin

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I'm sure you won't do any worse than me:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I shot 40 rounds of 7mm rem mag, 40 rounds of 300 wsm, and 35 rounds of 30-06 that day sick

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
I already have the XTR FWT at 6.25 and a Kimber Montana short action at 5.25. Neither has a stock that I really like for ergos. I'm really just focused on what can be done with a factory pre64 as I prefer the action and will put it into a very light synthetic stock. It sounds like I can get pretty close.

It has taken me a while but I have come to realize that a good fitting stock and a good/great trigger are two of the most important items to have for game shooting. I've sold several really good rifles primarily because I was not happy with the stock, or the trigger.
Give me those two and most any suitable cartridge/bullet and I wouldn't feel too hard done by. Doesn't mean I don't have my favourites though!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Realized I would be Grouse hunting on the upcoming days off, and since I couldn't print the Postal Challenge targets at home, I did one the way we used to, with a cereal box.

Rifle: Kimber .300Savage with Leupold 6x42 at around 6 pounds.
130gr TTSX
Shot at the rate of: shoot, look thru spotter, shot again.

The target: 12 shots total, offhand, sitting and prone kneeling over a pack. 8 at 100 and 4 at 200.

[Linked Image]

Hard to decipher on that side, so the flip:

[Linked Image]

Wind was up and moving me some, and I wasn't hitting the trigger all that well. But six of 12 found their way into the Cheerio heart and the rest would have landed into vitals.

Wouldn't have scored all that great on the Postal, but on BG things should have went well. Some like them heavier, but I'll take them right around this weight or a little more.

What happens when you don't pay attention to a good trigger pull, and why little groups from the bench can lead to a false confidence in the field.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by battue; 10/22/14.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
A good trigger goes a long way buddy. I'm wondering if the newer MOA was a benefit when I shot the other day. It just seems to break smoother with no creep as compared to the pre 64. The weight of pull is about the same, but as much as I hate to admit it, the MOA is smoother blush

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
That Kimber has a better trigger than any of my Model 70's.
Have only dry fired one of the new MOA's and it seemed ok. Those who know worry about their dependability. Time will tell.

That one group shot got away, and as it was going off, I could feel the trigger sliding on the inside of my finger. I knew it was right before I looked.

Not the best example of field position shooting. I can do better, but today that was it. Still a LW rifle kept them in the vitals out to 200 with little effort.

Last edited by battue; 10/22/14.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I hear you battue. I'm usually a MOA basher, but I have to give credit where it is due. My MOA has the lighter ernie the gunsmith spring and the pull wt is 2 3/8 pounds. It's damn near perfect for offhand shooting as far as I'm concerned..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'll never know, because if I would buy another Model 70 it will be a pre or classic.

The new ones seem well made and from reports are consistent shooters. If Winchester ever wants to sell me another rifle all they have to do is make a real quality Featherweight by today's standards. At that time I will be sneaking up on the front of the line.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I won't buy another new model 70 (made in Portugal bs). This one is the first year FN (2008), which is better..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
A good trigger goes a long way buddy. I'm wondering if the newer MOA was a benefit when I shot the other day. It just seems to break smoother with no creep as compared to the pre 64. The weight of pull is about the same, but as much as I hate to admit it, the MOA is smoother blush

BSA, have you ever put a smooth and flat India stone against your Pre64 triggers? I polished mine just enough to erase the tool marks that were left behind on the Pre64 and a few Classics. Seemed to really help with everything, pull weight and any creepiness. It really doesn't take much at all and they are as smooth as my Ernie's sprung MOA trigger was.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs

BSA, have you ever put a smooth and flat India stone against your Pre64 triggers? I polished mine just enough to erase the tool marks that were left behind on the Pre64 and a few Classics. Seemed to really help with everything, pull weight and any creepiness. It really doesn't take much at all and they are as smooth as my Ernie's sprung MOA trigger was.

Yes Scotty. Mine are polished out, but there's no denying the mechanical advantage the MOA has over the old trigger. Trust me, I like the old one better because of the simplicity and better reliability. I call chit how I see it. That day I had 1 of the best examples of pre 64 fwt, a 5 digit classic stainless, and a 2008 limited edition. Fired 40 rounds from each rifle (35 from 30-06). All of my triggers are polished, just one of the things I do to get better accuracy..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs

I've seen some newer FN MOA's that weren't anything like mine. A buddies 2013 is a prime example. Try a first production FN when you get a chance..

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I won't buy another new model 70 (made in Portugal bs). This one is the first year FN (2008), which is better..

As we said on the reservation Bullshit!

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
In 2008, they actually wanted to please the consumer (Winchester model 70 aficionado). Now they want to please themselves.. wink

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

140 members (41rem, 2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 20 invisible), 1,984 guests, and 989 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,707
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.