Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
His head and face almost looks like a Red Angus.

grin

Why are you picking on me? grin

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Why was Costanza not part of the hunting crew this year? laugh

Tanner

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Guess it's personal preference, but gonna have to call BS on the above!

Then combine that with the fact that the reticle would completely obscure an object that size, makes me yell "BS!"

MOA sized targets are an issue AT ANY RANGE, much less 1130 yards. The 10" rock Jordan speaks of is about .83 MOA at that distance. At 6X, well, I have to LOL.

No offense. grin

I take it pretty seriously when someone calls me a liar.

Me too

If you can do it, I'd like to see it. Maybe we can arrange an "Ice Maker" shoot instead of the thaw, Ice Breaker. I'd be willing to put a chunk of cash on the "Don't" that you can't make hits on a 10" piece of steel at 1130 yards with a 6X scope.

Sounds good. I've got the perfect spot for it. Let me know when you're on your way and I'll book time off work. I've got some 10" plates and several scopes that go down to 6x, if you've got a wallet full of cash wink

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Shooting rocks is fun and great practice but when the rubber meets the road we are talking hunting optics and 6X is to little magnification for a general purpose hunting

The rubber met the road here at 942 yards, and this coyote was killed with one shot using a 9x scope... wink
[Linked Image]

9X is 50% more than 6X. shocked

I might have stuffed a few coyotes in the dirt at even further ranges and it was not with a 6X. wink

Originally Posted by rosco1

[Linked Image]

great bull,congrats.

This year?

Last week.

Thanks. It is a good picture of the bull. 360 gross. The 3rds are weak but that top end with a 56" beam makes a pretty bull for a 50% draw tag and public ground.

Followed him for a week and 10 1/2 miles before he made a mistake. One heck of a fun hunt.

Blind hog finds an acorn every now and then. grin

Beauty bull, John. Congrats.

I've no doubt you've killed a coyote or three, all I'm saying is it can be done with sub-10x magnification wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Then combine that with the fact that the reticle would completely obscure an object that size, makes me yell "BS!"

MOA sized targets are an issue AT ANY RANGE, much less 1130 yards. The 10" rock Jordan speaks of is about .83 MOA at that distance. At 6X, well, I have to LOL.

No offense. grin

Me too

If you can do it, I'd like to see it. Maybe we can arrange an "Ice Maker" shoot instead of the thaw, Ice Breaker. I'd be willing to put a chunk of cash on the "Don't" that you can't make hits on a 10" piece of steel at 1130 yards with a 6X scope.

Sounds good. I've got the perfect spot for it. Let me know when you're on your way and I'll book time off work. I've got some 10" plates and several scopes that go down to 6x, if you've got a wallet full of cash wink

Wyoming looks like a good halfway point to meet.

If we can work out all the particulars, I'd be willing to put a $100 Bill to your $100 Bill on every pull of the trigger for say 50 rounds.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B2

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Bit of thread drift.

I am not much of a fan of FFP. FFP is a compromise reticle at the top end and at the bottom end of the magnification range.

I prefer SFP combined with moderate high end magnification.

With a top end in the 15X range and a 50mm objective I able to see most impacts, read mirage and resolve target detail enough to shoot to my potential.

15X is also useable in any condition that might require wind or lead holds.

So if we have a properly designed SFP reticle it also works very well at the low end for quick work and in low light.

I could get along with 20X on the top end in a 5X zoom ratio but max magnification of 10X or below is not a real hunting scope in my little world.

Shooting rocks is fun and great practice but when the rubber meets the road we are talking hunting optics and 6X is to little magnification for a general purpose hunting optic.

This bull was not very far at 550yds but he was moving on 2 out of 3 shots. A decent amount of magnification sure helped refine the lead and allowed me to be pretty aggressive with the trigger every time the sight picture was right.

[Linked Image]

Awesome bull..Congrats.

Sorry for the interruption....Cary on.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Not gonna happen. Your friendly neighborhood president won't let me bring my guns down to your country without jumping through some major hoops. But the invite is open for you to come here and see me shoot my guns.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We can go 100 rounds if you think it'd be worth your while for the hoop jumping. It can't be that tough. I've travelled internationally with firearms including trips to Canada, Argentina and England. Just a Customs declaration and check.

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Mr. Burns,
I have zero experience behind any optics intended for long range hunting. My two best recorded kills were 400 yard shots, one running wide open porker & the other was still. This was with the Leupold 6x42. So, no way I have any experience to compare with yours. Don't you think I can get my feet wet enough with an FFP. I do intend to go with the mil/mil and have zero experience with that too. I am going to have to come up on the learning curve from some starting point & did not think I wanted to start with a SFP.

I notice NightForce has a great many SFP offerings so,there must be something there for most LRH shooters. It's just not tangible for me yet.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Once you know your drops, you are simply twisting the elevation dial to whatever reference number corresponds with that drop. Doesn't matter if you break it out by mils or moa, the numbers are simply a reference.

If your dial is set for mils, then you need configure your drop chart in mils. Same thing for MOA.

Once you print off your chart and verify the values by actually shooting, then all you need to know is what number corresponds to what range.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
We can go 100 rounds if you think it'd be worth your while for the hoop jumping. It can't be that tough. I've travelled internationally with firearms including trips to Canada, Argentina and England. Just a Customs declaration and check.

BTDT. The US has a much more ridiculous policy than Canada does. After applying for the US ATF permit to take my rifles down to the IBS this past April, waiting the several months for the permit to come, and driving several hours down to the border, I was turned back by the US guys because of some minor admin error made by the Dept of ATF on my permit.

Honestly, I have nothing to prove to you, and I'm certainly not going to go through a bunch of time, financial expense, and loss of income just so I can drive several hours south and show you I can hit a plate with my rifle. I know what I've done and I know what I can do with a 6x scope. Your opinion doesn't change that. As I say, the invitation is open and you're welcome to drive or fly up here, sans firearms (to make things simple), or you could bring a rifle or two, and we can go out to a nice spot and smack some steel. I never said that I can hit a 10" target at 1130 yards every shot, regardless of the magnification of the scope I'm using, so a $100 wager for every shot is meaningless as it pertains to the subject of our discussion. If you'd like to come up and see for yourself, you're welcome. If I can hit a 10" plate at 1130 with a 6x scope, 3 shots, and a good spotter, you buy dinner. If I can't do it in 3, I buy dinner. I think that would be a good indicator of whether or not a 6x keeps me from successfully engaging the target, wind and atmospherics aside. No need to make what could be a friendly shooting get together into a contest measuring manhood. To make things more interesting, we could even have you shoot on 20x and me on 6x and see how things shake out.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Mr. Burns,
I have zero experience behind any optics intended for long range hunting. My two best recorded kills were 400 yard shots, one running wide open porker & the other was still. This was with the Leupold 6x42. So, no way I have any experience to compare with yours. Don't you think I can get my feet wet enough with an FFP. I do intend to go with the mil/mil and have zero experience with that too. I am going to have to come up on the learning curve from some starting point & did not think I wanted to start with a SFP.

I notice NightForce has a great many SFP offerings so,there must be something there for most LRH shooters. It's just not tangible for me yet.

Reloader28,

I think most of the guys get along well with a FFP, it's just not my preference. If you have never used one then it would be a smart move to give one a try and find out how it works for your shooting.

The SWFA stuff is priced right and lots of the guys are very happy with the product. If you decide it isn't right for you I bet you can find the scope a new owner and only have a minimal dent in your wallet for the experience.

The undeniable advantage to FFP is that the substensions remain consistent at all magnifications.

The trade off is that the reticle is overly bold and distracting at the top end and is hard to find at speed or in low light at the bottom end.

I prefer SFP knowing that it is a compromise but lots of others prefer FFP.

Good luck but just put in the time on rocks and steel before shooting game. grin

Thanks to everyone on the bull except Tanner can GFY for the Seinfield reference. laugh laugh

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like a good wager Jordan. I'd like to see this friendly shooting match if it were closer.

We all know Rick is one stubborn SOB and fun to debate with grin At the same time I don't think anyone can argue with his shooting ability. I think he's just used to 20x(+) and has a different perspective... hit or miss competition. I know I shoot to "hit my targets", but misses are often dang close. Not always, but I'm not shooting Sporting Rifle matches either and I still have a hoot shooting light rifles at small-ish targets with hunting scopes.

I've used 6x/7x on ~1-MOA targets out to 800 yards, but I find this about the limit for me. I've smacked my 8" hub couplers at 800y under good conditions but hits were much more consistent on 4" targets at 400y. Lately, for my light hunting rifles and 6x scopes, I find 8" steel perfect for 500y and can still be challenging from field positions (with rapid follow-up shots). I have some 12" targets and they seem too big that close.

Some people I know find 6x impossible to use at that distance but their vision isn't as good. I have no doubt that some people can see better than me too. I've seen those 8" targets hammered by others with 9x at 800y. I tend to think that 1x for every 100y is a good place to start, but it can go up/down depending on individual. Unless we're shooting manhole covers grin

Just depends on what our expectations are. I appreciate your honesty regarding those 10" rocks and frequency of hits. I get a kick out of tight groups on manhole covers. They'd not even be on the "rock".

Jason

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

No offense. grin

My experience mirrors Jordens, 3 shot 19" group at 1040yds with a sako fin light 3006, @ ya. 5shot 6" group at 1040 at 10x with 300 win mag, sum bad kook aid around here

Adalwolf
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

BTDT. The US has a much more ridiculous policy than Canada does. After applying for the US ATF permit to take my rifles down to the IBS this past April, waiting the several months for the permit to come, and driving several hours down to the border, I was turned back by the US guys because of some minor admin error made by the Dept of ATF on my permit.

Honestly, I have nothing to prove to you, and I'm certainly not going to go through a bunch of time, financial expense, and loss of income just so I can drive several hours south and show you I can hit a plate with my rifle. I know what I've done and I know what I can do with a 6x scope. Your opinion doesn't change that. As I say, the invitation is open and you're welcome to drive or fly up here, sans firearms (to make things simple), or you could bring a rifle or two, and we can go out to a nice spot and smack some steel. I never said that I can hit a 10" target at 1130 yards every shot, regardless of the magnification of the scope I'm using, so a $100 wager for every shot is meaningless as it pertains to the subject of our discussion. If you'd like to come up and see for yourself, you're welcome. If I can hit a 10" plate at 1130 with a 6x scope, 3 shots, and a good spotter, you buy dinner. If I can't do it in 3, I buy dinner. I think that would be a good indicator of whether or not a 6x keeps me from successfully engaging the target, wind and atmospherics aside. No need to make what could be a friendly shooting get together into a contest measuring manhood. To make things more interesting, we could even have you shoot on 20x and me on 6x and see how things shake out.

I do wish we lived closer to each other; I'm sure we'd have a great time.

My point about the wager is that both you and I know damn well that hitting a .83 MOA target at 1130 yards isn't easy with a long range hunting configuration rifle or even a heavier target rifle. I wouldn't take that bet shooting my target rifles.

At least I hope you're knowledgeable enough to know that wink

Now, compound that fact by using a low power optic and I'd have to bring a Brinks truck up to haul my winnings back.

The other point is that for either of us to travel that type of distance, it better be worth our while. If you felt as confident as I about things going your way, meaning you could put a greater percentage of hits on that plate than misses, the only reason you wouldn't travel to do it is because you don't like money smile

For me, I'd meet you halfway for about $3,000. That's what I figure I'd end up with after 50 rounds with you hitting about 10

grin

You should do it and video it. It would be interesting.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I never said I would have more hits than misses- that was your contention. I just said that I could hit the target with a 6x scope. grin

If I can get my phone adapter rigged up with my new'ish spotter, I'll video it. Stay tuned, but it might take a while. It's hunting season right now, you know wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I've had no trouble hitting 10" rocks at 1130 yards with a 6x scope...

C'mon Jordan. To any reasonable person that means you can put a much greater percentage of impacts on it than misses.

If you can snake a hit in there on it once in a while, there are more accurate ways to say it

I consider hitting a .83 MOA target at 1130 yards big problem to go 50% on. Even with a TAC rifle and scope. If I were to come across the same target set at a match, it would be the "talk" of the match.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For future reference, if I say it's no trouble to hit a target at "x" range, it means I can sit there and drill it all day long.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I noticed it sure is easier to hit a rock at 1000yds than my 12" plate. Guessing the "small" rocks I was hitting weren't as small as I thought.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
I think banging my head on a rock is easier.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 160user, 1234, 222Sako, 70 invisible), 2,304 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,790
Posts18,496,076
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.