Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Great pieces though I prefer 'em blond. That said, I too, am not a fan of the 357.

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I think $650 is on the high side. But it's comes down to how much do you want it. grin

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
nice gun but a tad high but who cares. try the 2.5" 19 and you will love it.

My diploma is a DD214
P
P_Weed Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
I really knew nothing about this revolver except I liked it and I wanted it.
Thanks for all the input and information - even encouragement!

I'm flying to Dallas tomorrow morning for a week, (My Birthday.)
So I went to the Pawn Shop an hour ago and put the Model 19-2 on layby.

They said I could have it for $600 - YES! And thank you.
Might be a while before I can pay it off - but I will have it.

Eventually ... smile

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bcolorado
My thinking is generally I haven't paid too much for a firearm but have occasionally bought one a bit early cool

Price on the 19 you are looking at may be a bit "early".

The 4 inch 19-3 is one of my favorites(along with a 6 inch 19-3 and a 21/2 inch 66) and is a must have...

[Linked Image]

WOW, that looks EXACTLY like my last 19, same grips and all. I miss that revolver.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Weed,
You done good. As others have also stated, I am not a big fan of the 357 magnum, much preferring the bigger bores. But I would have bought that one just because of what it is. I have always liked the model 19.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Bill Jordan seemed to think that the 19 was OK.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 5sdad
He liked it a great deal, thinking it the ideal police sidearm. I think the Model 13 is that, however, i.e., same gun, but fixed sights. S&W's adjustable sights are too frail. A 13 with an ejector rod shroud would, perhaps, have been even better (protecting the ejector rod from being bent), but then you introduce the potential for mud filling it in (if the gun makes contact with the ground during a struggle) and preventing closure of the cylinder, so the shroud is a wash, all things considered.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I liked the 13 as well. (Thought that I had to sell it to justify buying the 19 - now that I am older and have a bit more money, I kick myself for getting rid of it, but it was a different time and a different financial situation.) As you say, the shroud is a wash as to impaired function. I had not thought about the mud-filling idea, only the bending, which leads to the Colts - I always wondered why they were designed with the rod completely naked on the end, just looking for something to catch on.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I liked the 13 as well. (Thought that I had to sell it to justify buying the 19 - now that I am older and have a bit more money, I kick myself for getting rid of it, but it was a different time and a different financial situation.) As you say, the shroud is a wash as to impaired function. I had not thought about the mud-filling idea, only the bending, which leads to the Colts - I always wondered why they were designed with the rod completely naked on the end, just looking for something to catch on.
Good point about Colts. But the geometry of the ejector rod's position, in relation to the barrel and frame, tends to offer it a great deal of protection all by itself.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would hope so since he's the one who told S&W to make it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
A 13 with an ejector rod shroud would, perhaps, have been even better (protecting the ejector rod from being bent), but then you introduce the potential for mud filling it in (if the gun makes contact with the ground during a struggle) and preventing closure of the cylinder, so the shroud is a wash, all things considered.
While that's a very good point about the ejector shroud and the mud, I think (especially in decades past) the more likely scenario was a bent ejector rod. I'd bet you'd have 10 bent ejector rods to every one shroud filled up with mud.

It's interesting to note that in every military test of S&W vs. Colt's DA revolver, the Colt's have proven to be more reliable in bad conditions. The internals of the Colt allow for more gunk, with things only getting tight at the last minute.

Still, I'm a S&W guy through and through. I can respect the design of the Colt's, and I'll always stick up for them when someone's trying to say they're "fragile", but S&W's are just MY kind of revolver. (with that said, I do carry a Colt's Cobra quite often).

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by GunGeek
I would hope so since he's the one who told S&W to make it.

I should have thrown in a wink emoticon.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
those 19's are nice. I had an opportunity to pick one up a couple years back NIB, went with the 686 instead. I don't regret my decision, but there's nothing wrong with a 19 either. I just prefer the full lug barrel.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by GunGeek
It's interesting to note that in every military test of S&W vs. Colt's DA revolver, the Colt's have proven to be more reliable in bad conditions. The internals of the Colt allow for more gunk, with things only getting tight at the last minute.

Still, I'm a S&W guy through and through. I can respect the design of the Colt's, and I'll always stick up for them when someone's trying to say they're "fragile", but S&W's are just MY kind of revolver. (with that said, I do carry a Colt's Cobra quite often).
I like the Colts just about as well as the S&Ws. I carried a Detective Special for a few years, and I can really shoot the heck out of an Official Police. Maybe even a hair better than I can a K-Frame Smith & Wesson.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by n8dawg6
those 19's are nice. I had an opportunity to pick one up a couple years back NIB, went with the 686 instead. I don't regret my decision, but there's nothing wrong with a 19 either. I just prefer the full lug barrel.
The original idea behind the full lug (first found on the Python) was to add forward weight with competitive shooting in mind. I like the looks of one on a Python, but not on a Smith & Wesson.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I did the same with a 4" GP100 for $300, including a pretty decent trigger job, tritium front sight, and Hogue grips.

Get the 19.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
My first model 19 four inch was acquired in the 70's when i was playing popo. I have fired thousands of rounds through it. The sights have not fallen off yet.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
He liked it a great deal, thinking it the ideal police sidearm. I think the Model 13 is that, however, i.e., same gun, but fixed sights. S&W's adjustable sights are too frail. A 13 with an ejector rod shroud would, perhaps, have been even better (protecting the ejector rod from being bent), but then you introduce the potential for mud filling it in (if the gun makes contact with the ground during a struggle) and preventing closure of the cylinder, so the shroud is a wash, all things considered.

Have you had a Smith rear sight fail? A lot of theory above...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (1beaver_shooter, 1moredeer, 1minute, 1OntarioJim, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 65 invisible), 2,595 guests, and 1,393 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,449
Posts18,471,018
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.