OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I am building a mid-weight .260 rem. I have on order:

Borden Alpine
Benchmark #3 24" finish
Edge classic stock
HS Precision bottom metal

I have been looking at several different scopes and for what ever reason seem to keep going back to the VX-6...especially since Steelhead says they are twice the scope as the vx3..lol

Does this sound like a good fit for this rifle? I live in AK and shots for me are anywhere between 30-500 yds.

I appreciate any response.

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
This is my mid weight 260, it's a Remington 700 CDL SF I put into a HS Stock and topped with a Leupold VX6 3-18x44 in Talley LW lows. [Linked Image]

Roll Tide Roll, now lets go hunting!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like the VX-6 but I also like the Z3 3-10x42 with the BRH reticle. It has a 1" tube and is lighter and more compact than the VX-6. I think they would both be nice.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a VX-6 3-18x44 topped on a rifle with very similar specs as yours. It's been a perfect fit IMO. I like it a whole lot better than the VX-3 I use to have on it. Combo has taken game from 15 yards up to 360 yards. Rifle weighs 7.5 pounds with scope and Talley LW.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
My bud has the 3-18x44i on a light rifle and loves it.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If 400+ yards is a real need I would think long and hard about how you intend to get there. CDS would not be a preferred method for me...

David

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
I would rather use my M1's also but if using a VX6 and a shot up to 700 yds presents it self a CDS is not going to be an issue you may not prefer it but it will get the job done, granted it might involve clicks that do not feel like the M1's!

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by Greenbrier
I am building a mid-weight .260 rem. I have on order:

Borden Alpine
Benchmark #3 24" finish
Edge classic stock
HS Precision bottom metal

I have been looking at several different scopes and for what ever reason seem to keep going back to the VX-6...especially since Steelhead says they are twice the scope as the vx3..lol

Does this sound like a good fit for this rifle? I live in AK and shots for me are anywhere between 30-500 yds.

I appreciate any response.

Perfect scope for your setup Steve....

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
I would rather use my M1's also but if using a VX6 and a shot up to 700 yds presents it self a CDS is not going to be an issue you may not prefer it but it will get the job done, granted it might involve clicks that do not feel like the M1's!

CDS dials have a tendency to spin on their own, not something I want to worry about when presented with a quick 200yd shot. CDS dials are good for one set of conditions, one load. Yes you can get additional dials for different loads/conditions but why put up with that when you can have infinite adjustability with modern ballistic software and a quality set of turrets?

CDS is workable, but not ideal. Sounds like the OP is building a rifle capable of stretching some distance whether for game or for fun. For VX6 money I would take a hard look at the Bushnell LRHS. I am NOT saying the VX6 is the wong choice - I'm saying I would carefully consider my options before plunking down that kind of money for a scope.

David

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Why are CDS only for one load?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
I have a CDS with an moa dial and zero stop and can be used in any circumstance an M1 would be used in including different loads, I will agree they do spin easier, but I'm constantly checking it to make sure it's where it needs to be, as you should with an M1, mine very rarely has moved unless I have moved it, if you need more elevation than 1 turn the M1 is a better choice, the LRHS has a lot of things going for it except the weight!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
CDS still doesn't offer a dial or better still a decent reticle to use for wind calls.

I know, not much of an issue if the OP doesn't stretch it much past 4-500 yards. I recently put together a similar rifle (purchased the barreled action from SAS) in 6.5 CM. I've got about 400 rounds down the tube and I'm stretching it farther than I thought I was capable of. I'm glad I didn't spend that kind of money on a scope for it that didn't have proper turrets or reticle to fully utilize the capabilities of the rifle.

David

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Canazes9
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan

CDS dials have a tendency to spin on their own, not something I want to worry about when presented with a quick 200yd shot. CDS dials are good for one set of conditions, one load. Yes you can get additional dials for different loads/conditions but why put up with that when you can have infinite adjustability with modern ballistic software and a quality set of turrets?

CDS is workable, but not ideal. Sounds like the OP is building a rifle capable of stretching some distance whether for game or for fun. For VX6 money I would take a hard look at the Bushnell LRHS. I am NOT saying the VX6 is the wong choice - I'm saying I would carefully consider my options before plunking down that kind of money for a scope.

David

Well, I own, or have owned at least 8 VX3/VX6 with CDS. I've never had one inadvertently spin without me doing it. Granted it could happen especially if riding in a scabbard. Even at that, with the zero stop you can set it back to zero in the pitch dark via the zero stop. It's foolproof.
I

If you desire one dial for everything you load, simply get a CDS w/zero stop set up in MOA.

20MOA per turn of the dial can get you way out there with a 200 yard zero. The VX6 also has the best duplex reticle known to mankind. It's the perfect thickness, it's very black and stays black.

The turret clicks are not quite as positive feeling as the VX3's clicks, but the VX6 CDS dials are a bit harder to turn than the VX3, so it works very well and my two VX6's have been very easy and accurate to dial out to 900yds, back to 200 yards, and everywhere in between.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Your right there are scopes that are better suited!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My 308 probably is a heavy for a spotter
22" #4 rock barrel

Here is the 2-12x42 on the Gradous 308

[Linked Image]

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Here is the VX6 2-12 on my 35 Newton. It looks a little big, but it is really a great optic.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It looks a little big,

It looks just right to me. It is mounted a little too low for me, though.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

625 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 2,474 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,203
Posts18,485,320
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.