Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Okay...I know it isn't a Python.

With that out of the way, what can you guys tell me about them?

I have been looking for a 6" stainless .357 and had been debating between the 686 and GP100...walked into a local shop and saw a 6" KC stainless .357...for $1300 and in fine shape.

What I am seeing online shows this is about middle of the road on prices.

It would be a shooter.

I know the Colt's are only climbing right now so I don't figure I could lose money if I hold onto it a year and decide to sell.

Design wise I read it is robust...not as refined as the Python but probably as good or a step better than the 686/gp100.

The cylinder looks a little short. As a cast bullet shooter, will this cause me any grief with any specific bullet profiles?

What am I missing? I put a deposit on it to give me a night to think and research on it. Keep or pass?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I bought my first .44 I had a choice between a 629 classic or an Anaconda. At the same time my grandfather bought a .357 and had a choice between a 686 and a King Cobra.

I am a S&W kind of guy and I felt the fit, finish, and action were better on the Smith. He wanted a 'Colt'. I still like the Smith better as a shooter but his gun sure is worth quite a bit more than mine. As a shooter, I wouldn't spend that much for a Colt, but as I said I prefer the feel and action of a Smith. As a collector, you should collect what you like.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
I'd take a GP or 686 over a KC as a shooter. Colt collectors who want one of everything are driving up the prices, not the quality of the gun.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Those Mark V actions are durable as a plow but they lack the smoothness and finesse of Colt's older action designs. If they'll let you dry-fire it you'll see what I'm talking about.

I'm a Colt fan and I own a Python, Diamondback, Cobra and Detective Special but nothing beats a Medium or Large Frame S&W for a smooth and easy to shoot double-action revolver.

As you noted however, you'll not lose money on it as the Colt craze has driven the market to some unimagined high prices.

The uninitiated are always easily impressed.
NRA Endowment Member
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
The King Cobra is a fine gun that should take miles of shooting with little to no real wear, especially with cast bullets and milder loads.

I once fired a 2" six shot group at 100 yards with 4" stainless version, so I kind of like them.
A friend has a 4" blued version he has shot deer with past the 50 yard mark, so they are perfectly fine as far as "shooters" go.

Action wise and durability wise, its closer to a Ruger 100 series or a Sec. Six, but getting a clean DA pull is but springs and a hone away.

The cylinder will handle anything the Python will for cast bullets, which excludes the Lyman 358429 170 Keith; most other common ones should not be an issue.

The manufacturing period of the King Cobra relegates it (IMO), to a less commonly produced main line Colt gun, so retaining its value should not be an issue. That and the fact its a DA "Snake gun" never will hurt it.
A Ruger or comparable Smith isn't going to retain the value or worth of the Colt, right or wrong and if you shoot any a ton the Smith is going to show the wear.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
UPHiker summed it up. The King Cobra is a good gun. It is the last incarnation of the Trooper Mk. III, which is itself a good gun. IMO none of the Troopers are as good as a 586 or 686 which are considerably cheaper. In fact, I saw a decent one this weekend for a bit less than $600 which is less than half what you'd pay for the inferior Colt. It hasn't been long ago at all that you'd pay about that for a King Cobra too-and it would still be inferior to the L frame Smith.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have a 4" stainless King Cobra and I really love the revolver. I say get it. wink

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I have had a 4 inch, but own a 6 inch. A Shooter go with the GP. I love mine though.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by War_Eagle
Okay...I know it isn't a Python.

With that out of the way, what can you guys tell me about them?

I have been looking for a 6" stainless .357 and had been debating between the 686 and GP100...walked into a local shop and saw a 6" KC stainless .357...for $1300 and in fine shape.

What I am seeing online shows this is about middle of the road on prices.

It would be a shooter.

I know the Colt's are only climbing right now so I don't figure I could lose money if I hold onto it a year and decide to sell.

Design wise I read it is robust...not as refined as the Python but probably as good or a step better than the 686/gp100.

The cylinder looks a little short. As a cast bullet shooter, will this cause me any grief with any specific bullet profiles?

What am I missing? I put a deposit on it to give me a night to think and research on it. Keep or pass?

It is a good revolver, but I wouldn't say it's better than the 686, and perhaps on par with the GP-100. If you really want the gun to shoot, and not as an investment, I'd go with the 686 in a 7 shot (7 shot cylinders are stronger than the 6 shot), in the barrel length of your preference.

But if you just fancy the King Cobra, I don't think you'll lose money on it. Just don't pick up too many 686's after buying the King Cobra or you'll have some buyer's remorse.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Depends on what you want it for, The KC is a good one. They were built to withstand a steady diet of full house magnums. The Colt will be worth more and likely even more in the future. Normally one is warned not to dry fire the Colts as the firing pin can be brittle. The MKV is the improved MKIII, Colts last revolver line. The S&W will have a better trigger, the Colt and S&W will be about tied in SA, the S&W will have a better DA. I have had both, and like both. Still have a Trooper MKIII and shot it often.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1234, 16gage, 06hunter59, 55 invisible), 2,339 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,402
Posts18,470,144
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.