Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Anybody that's used both care to share thoughts on how the Vital shown below compares to the Havalon? Or if you've only used the Vital, how do you like it? They both use the same blades, so how long would a blade on either last while boning critters before having to change? Thanks.

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've only used the Havalon. Though I've not put it through super tough tests, I've never needed more than one blade per critter (javelina, whitetail, mule deer). Though it can be done without, I prefer to use my multitool or hemostats to change the blades. They are scary sharp right out of the package.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I wonder how they would be on really thick hides...like moose?

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Those things are scary sharp and you can mess up if you aren't very careful. To me it's easier to cut thru the hide, and/or cut yourself. And, I do use a hemostat or needle nose pliers to change those blades.

Skinning a big hog with their thick, blade dulling hide, you may finish up with just one blade, maybe not. With WT's, not a problem. You may be able to skin a couple with one blade.

DF

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
They are super sharp but flimsy. I snapped off a blade while gutting out an antelope a week ago without even realizing it. Still not sure how it happened as I wasn't cutting any thing tough. Never did find the rest of the blade, just glad I didn't grab it with my fingers.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
After seeing the Outdoor Edge Razor Lite in action last week, there's no way I'd mess with the skinnier Havalon or Gerber - particularly on larger stuff.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Outdoor Edge wins.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'm with the two guys above, the outdoor edge is a superior design.

I've used the havalon on a ton of critters the last 4-5 years, and while incredibly sharp, they just break way too often. Nothing funner then trying to dig a half broke scalpel blade out of the inside of a carcass.

I've used the outdoor edge on a couple animals this fall, and have been very happy with it's sharpness and durability. There are times I wish for the havalon's shorter profile, but overall I much prefer the outdoor edge.

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
I don't have much experience with the Havalon--two elk and a small handful of deer and elk. I really like it--I am much faster with it than with any of my regular knives. It is easily resharpened in the field, which is quicker than replacing the blade.

And at the risk of insulting the posters above, maybe if you are breaking the blades, your technique is a bit hamhanded.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks all. The blade change process of the Havalon is what piqued my interest in the Gerber as it has a push-button blade release. Does the Outdoor Edge have any wobble or does the black blade support hold the replaceable blades tightly?

IC B3

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Honestly, often wet, frozen (numb) hands / fingers when field dressing in the northern climes; folks really want to mess with changing blades on the flimsy looking plastic contraption?

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
I considered getting one of these, and I still might but not for skinning or boning. They look like they would be good for caping, might get one for that. For skinning, I've found nothing superior to a simple hook knife with replaceable blades. Cuts through thick hides easily, and you have both ends of the blade to use before replacing it. Works good to avoid cutting into the guts too. Blades are cheap and easy to find, and I've never broke one. If you haven't tried one, you really should. Its a $5 tool that just works.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Thanks all. The blade change process of the Havalon is what piqued my interest in the Gerber as it has a push-button blade release. Does the Outdoor Edge have any wobble or does the black blade support hold the replaceable blades tightly?

It's stable, not much if any flex to it. That was another thing I hated about the havalon, was changing the blades. No way I'd try it without a multi tool.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I've been using the havalon for a few years and have processed 1/2 dozen elk and roughly the same amount of muleys.

Awesome tool when care is taken not to twist or bend the blade, which is how they break. Much, much faster than stopping to resharpen knives.

I use my ever present Leatherman to switch blades.

I will continue to carry the havalon.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been using the havalon for several years. Between guiding and my own hunting I usually end up with 3-5 elk and a deer or antelope or sheep thrown in.

I like them for everything besides the knees, taking the skull off the spine, and the skin on the back of a bulls neck. You can still get the job done in those places, but that is where I break blades.

They are great for skinning, caping, quartering, and cutting the steaks out.

I haven't used any other tool for changing blades.

I did cut the heck out of my thumb once but that was trying to hurry a caping job on a bull at over 10000 feet with a storm moving in on us. I was going around the base of the horns and went to pinch the hide between my thumb and forefinger and pinched the havalon instead.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Greenbrier

Anyone that breaks a blade on them just doesn't understand how to use them. You do have to be careful.

How do they last on moose, can't say about gerber because I have no complaints about the 3 havalon we own.

I can say that one bull moose down, all by myself totally this fall, estimated 1200 pounds live weight. Skin, gut, quarter, debone, cape head off, cape skin off head, and much of the later deboning of quarters and such... 3 total blades.

But then again I consider myself to have a bit of know how on how to protect edges.

For our 150 ish pound give or take deer around here, live weight, I can get usually 2-3 deer out of a blade if I"m not in a hurry and don't have to dejoint everything and can use a saw on a lot of the quartering etc...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
BTW, years of taxidermy under my belt, while I cape in the field on my own stuff, as I don't do taxidermy anymore for anyone but myself...., when it comes to specifically taking the hide off the antlers and skull, I"ll use a fat handled scalpe handle and a few #21 blades all day long if I remember to bring one... before I'd use the Piranta.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
I've been using the havalon for a few years and have processed 1/2 dozen elk and roughly the same amount of muleys.

Awesome tool when care is taken not to twist or bend the blade, which is how they break. Much, much faster than stopping to resharpen knives.

I use my ever present Leatherman to switch blades.

I will continue to carry the havalon.

Same here. I usually only use the Havalon for skinning and caping, and use a Puma for the heavier duty stuff.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Havalon works great on elk. I completely skined and deboned a bull. I did change the blade halfway through. Not sure I really needed to though. Wonderful knife for what they are designed to do.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I just caped a mule deer with the havalon and it worked great for that. This is what I bought it for.

The blades on the havalon are a bit flimsy. Something with a heavier blade and easy change out would be worth a try

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like the Outdoor Edge a LOT better than the Havalon. Although I will say that I own an Outdoor Edge but do NOT own a Havalon, and this is the reason why: One of my hunting buddies and I were gutting a ~175lb whitetail in the dark and cold and he was using his Havalon and got a terrible cut from a piece of the blade that had broken off and neither of us had noticed it.

I was holding the ribcage open and he was cutting around the diaphragm and was laid open to the bone across the index and middle fingers, and gashed on the ring finger, all on his right hand. He ended up with 4 stitches in the index and two in the middle finger. It was a relatively small piece of the blade that broke/splintered off. I had a heck of a time finding the broken off piece before I finished the job with my old Cold Steel Master Hunter. After that "adventure" I won't have anything to do with the Havalon when a stronger, safer knife like the OE is available.

I keep my old Master Hunter hair flingin' sharp and I really can't see much difference in field dressing speed, except when cutting loose the genitals and cutting around the a-hole. I'll give the advantage to the OE there, but when opening up the belly and especially the ribcage, I'll take the old Master Hunter.

I love the OE for caping, but for me, again, I can't see a huge difference in the speed of skinning vs. the MH, although I'll give a slight advantage to the OE there.

Bring enough gun and know how to use it.

Know that it is not the knowing, nor the talking, nor the reading man, but the doing man, that at last will be found the happiest man. - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)
A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Great.

Just what you want to be concerned about is a broken box-cutter blade inside a blind (hands in deep, no visual to cavity) field dressing chore!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I won't say it can't happen, but I"m still amazed that folks can snap blades and not know it. Much less how to avoid it.

of course maybe I'm just a bit anal paying attention since I have a sharp blade in my hand.

Maybe it was the 10-12 hour days of taxidermy with sharp blades in my hands and how easy it was to cut yourself if you quit paying attention.

And yes I've had my hands blindly in guts with one... even up to moose size gut piles.

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
The blade can potentially snap with some lateral motion.

Might consider in a controlled environment (back at camp, heated enclosure, caping, etc.) but in the field, under conditions that might incur a potential need for first aide for the user?

No way.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have used the havalon with the 60A (thicker) blades for the past two years with no complaints. Antelope and deer use one blade, elk need two. Have had no issues and it works great.

Maybe I'm just lucky.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Havalon are simply brilliant - elk, moose, deer, fish - everything done really easy - if you you use to the job it was built for and don't use to try and pry bones apart or something similarly stupid!

Last edited by Kudu11; 10/28/14.

This where I come from - http://youtu.be/KJr9jvsXFN4
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by add
The blade can potentially snap with some lateral motion.

Might consider in a controlled environment (back at camp, heated enclosure, caping, etc.) but in the field, under conditions that might incur a potential need for first aide for the user?

No way.

Cool. I've used it in the field so many times so many years now and never snapped a blade in the guts... but if you choose to not, tahts cool.
Folks do need to know their limitations.

Lateral has beeen know before it ever came out for those dealing with scalpels. so you simply don't do the lateral moves or if need to you be careful.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Upon further review, I was hasty making a public, blanket condemnation of Havalon's products. I have NOT used or seen used one of their knives with the newer, thicker 60A blades. The accident that happened to my friend occurred 6 or 7 years ago. At that time, his was the first Havalon knife that I, or any of our other hunting buddies, had ever seen or heard of.

Talking to my friend, he reminded me that his accident occurred the very first time he ever used the knife to field dress a deer (I didn't know or had forgotten this). His previous use of that knife was just for caping and skinning. He still uses Havalon knives, but has learned to be careful to not twist or side-load the blade or cut hard against bone.

He said that at the time of his accident, he was in a hurry (which I can vouch for, since I was there) and he was unknowingly putting a side load on the blade plus jerking it against the rib bones, moving his hand and knife in quick, jerky motions (which I can also attest to). He says he is now much more careful and smooth in the use of his Havalon knife and rarely breaks a blade. He uses a regular hunting knife to open up the ribcage and separate joints.

However, I still like the Outdoor Edge knife better because of the thicker blades, the fact that the knife is designed to support and reinforce the blade better, and that it's easy to change blades without using a tool.

Bring enough gun and know how to use it.

Know that it is not the knowing, nor the talking, nor the reading man, but the doing man, that at last will be found the happiest man. - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I picked up the Havalon Bolt Knife with the thicker 60A blades and, while I haven't used it yet, it seems like a quality product with pretty thick blades. I'll still be carrying my old-timey Whitetail Skinner for doing the heavy lifting.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've a collection of various custom knives, but always have at least on Havalon along for the ride. I've used the 60XT blades and the 60A blades and wouldn't turn my hand over for the difference in performance. My original Piranta has skinned or help skin at least a dozen moose, twice that many brown bears, several caribou and a host of furbearers. Probably been through 200+ blades and have broken exactly one and that was while trying to remove it. I've used them at 20 below zero without an issue. They are not my favorite knife, but they work as advertised and for caping they are excellent.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Greenbrier

I broke a Havalon blade on elk hide last November, but only because I tried to roughly cut through a big hunk of skin. It is a fragile blade, but if used properly, no problem. That said, I'd never go out on a hunt with a Havalon as my only knife.

Expat

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Being in the medical field I have seen quite a few sharp objects used inside live organisms (aka humans in the OR). There is abunch of different kind of blades depending the type of cut one wants to do. What is common to all of them is that they are used for cutting tissues with the edge. Any thin blade that is good for cutting won't be good for prying and torquing. I am sure there are other better tools for the job.
If you look into a orthopedic surgeon's instruments it looks like he went to medschool at Lowe's and got his degree at the Home Depot. Those are tools for prying and working on joints.
With good knowledge of the anatomy one can separate the joints just by cutting on the tendons.
In general, if you get in between muscle groups you can dissect with your fingers and cut at the insertion points. That's how I get the tenderloins and backstraps smile

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by rl11
I'm with the two guys above, the outdoor edge is a superior design.

I've used the havalon on a ton of critters the last 4-5 years, and while incredibly sharp, they just break way too often. Nothing funner then trying to dig a half broke scalpel blade out of the inside of a carcass.

I've used the outdoor edge on a couple animals this fall, and have been very happy with it's sharpness and durability. There are times I wish for the havalon's shorter profile, but overall I much prefer the outdoor edge.

Skinned two large WT doe this weekend with my new Outdoor Edge. It was still super sharp after all that. When I got home, I popped the blade out, cleaned the knife per instructions, stroked the blade a few times on a hard Arkansas stone and it shaves as good as ever. I don't know when I'll need those extra blades.

I also have a Havalon and there is no comparison. The Havalon is flimsy in comparison and won't hold an edge nearly as well. Sometimes it takes two blade to skin a big hog, that hide being hard on knife edges.

I really like the Edge, not so much the Havalon. Haven't used the Gerber, but it doesn't look nearly as robust as the Edge, maybe better than the Havalon, just not sure.

DF

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I use havalon. It's good. If you like to hack, it ain't the blade for you, but if you know which cuts to make, stuff just falls apart when you make the correct cuts, particularly when quartering a deer. Wish I had used them earlier.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Calvin
I use havalon. It's good. If you like to hack, it ain't the blade for you, but if you know which cuts to make, stuff just falls apart when you make the correct cuts, particularly when quartering a deer. Wish I had used them earlier.

If you get the chance, try the Edge. I think you'll like it better than the Havalon. Both are super sharp and take little effort to cut something.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That Gerber Vital knife looks like a weak toy.

I much prefer a folder with a serrated blade. Two blades or a partial serrated both work well and will buzz thru a brisket on a buck with ease.

These Winchester folders work fine and are strong yet not expensive.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Savage_99
That Gerber Vital knife looks like a weak toy.

I much prefer a folder with a serrated blade. Two blades or a partial serrated both work well and will buzz thru a brisket on a buck with ease.

These Winchester folders work fine and are strong yet not expensive.

[Linked Image]

Could you choose a bigger POS?

Regale us with your use of that actual bit of Chinese garbage on game over the last season.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you can find one the Coleman Western (Winchester) two bladed folder is my favorite.

[Linked Image]

"Old Coleman Western Knife "Black Double Lock Back Hunter" Proudly made in the U.S.A 1989"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another Chinese POS.

And still no field test stories?

I guess even Chinese junk is good enough when you only cut a sandwich during the season.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by 4ager
Another Chinese POS.

I guess even Chinese junk is good enough when you only cut a sandwich during the season.

Hard to beat, cutting bread and Bologna.

Not so good with baloney... shocked

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Another Chinese POS.

"Old Coleman Western Knife "Black Double Lock Back Hunter" Proudly made in the U.S.A 1989"

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Doubtful. That makes it a POS and not just a Chinese POS.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
[quote=Savage_99]
Could you choose a bigger POS?

You had to ask.. Nothing like Don showing up to the party.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I Purchased a Havalon Piranta, just to check it out and see what the buzz was about.. I had it for about 10 mins. Boxed it up and returned it. What a joke of a knife. I will stick with my Blind Horse (aka now Battle Horse), and Jeff White fixed blade knives. Fixed blade, High carbon Steel, usable blade, grind, and handle configurations. Fair priced for what you are getting. most of mine are between $140-$175 bucks.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything." Genesis 9:3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MarkG
I Purchased a Havalon Piranta, just to check it out and see what the buzz was about.. I had it for about 10 mins. Boxed it up and returned it. What a joke of a knife. I will stick with my Blind Horse (aka now Battle Horse), and Jeff White fixed blade knives. Fixed blade, High carbon Steel, usable blade, grind, and handle configurations. Fair priced for what you are getting. most of mine are between $140-$175 bucks.

They sure don't have any style. But I wouldn't call them a joke. Mine goes through 3-6 elk a year along with a deer, antelope, or sheep thrown in.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Ralphie
Originally Posted by MarkG

They sure don't have any style. But I wouldn't call them a joke. Mine goes through 3-6 elk a year along with a deer, antelope, or sheep thrown in.

Let's just say they don't fit my taste then, for what I want in a knife...

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything." Genesis 9:3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I watched a guy break a Havalon this past week. He was skinning a cull buck and the blade broke just during skinning, no abuse in any way. He was fortunate it did not cut him, and he quickly realized what had happened.

Think I'll pass on them, myself.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I use both the Havalon Piranta and the Outdoor Edge, used the Havalon on lots of critters with no complaints, finally broke a blade last fall. The Outdoor Edge loads up with hair & fat between the blade and the slot it goes in, kinda hurts its' effectiveness. For the leg joints and tough cuts I have a knife using utility blades.

If I had to choose, I'd run with the Havvy. My boss broke his, Havalon replaced it.

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've used the Havalon for several years now on at least 5 elk and probably close to 20 deer and a few antelope. When I first got the knife I broke a few blades. Then I learned that I needed to let the knife do the cutting and not force. This is where folks get into trouble with the Havalon, they try to treat it as if it is their grandpa's old Buck knife.

Additionally, a friend of mine was asking me last fall about my Havalon while taking care of a couple deer that myself and his daughter had killed that evening. I suggested that he look into the Outdoor Edge because I thought hey had taken a pretty good concept and made it better. This fall he killed a mule deer. While we were skinning out the deer it was brutally cold, about -12 to -15 that evening. His OE had gotten a bunch of fat and additional fleshy material in the slot that held the blade. You can guess what happened, it froze. When he went to change the blade, he had to put it on the dash of his truck to unthaw it enough to get the old blade out, while I continued to work on the front half with my Havalon.

I'll say I like the concept of the Oe with the stronger spine, but the performance in cold weather has me thinking that it is infallible. I own an OE myself now, and plan on taking both into the field next fall.

Finally, I don't use the Havalon to cut thru brisket it rib bones, that is what my light weight bone saw is designed for, however, when it comes to breaking down and dismembering a carcass, the surgical blade type knife is hard to beat.

Goofy aka graybird on other forums

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by imgoofy
I've used the Havalon for several years now on at least 5 elk and probably close to 20 deer and a few antelope. When I first got the knife I broke a few blades. Then I learned that I needed to let the knife do the cutting and not force. This is where folks get into trouble with the Havalon, they try to treat it as if it is their grandpa's old Buck knife.

Additionally, a friend of mine was asking me last fall about my Havalon while taking care of a couple deer that myself and his daughter had killed that evening. I suggested that he look into the Outdoor Edge because I thought hey had taken a pretty good concept and made it better. This fall he killed a mule deer. While we were skinning out the deer it was brutally cold, about -12 to -15 that evening. His OE had gotten a bunch of fat and additional fleshy material in the slot that held the blade. You can guess what happened, it froze. When he went to change the blade, he had to put it on the dash of his truck to unthaw it enough to get the old blade out, while I continued to work on the front half with my Havalon.

I'll say I like the concept of the Oe with the stronger spine, but the performance in cold weather has me thinking that it is infallible. I own an OE myself now, and plan on taking both into the field next fall.

Finally, I don't use the Havalon to cut thru brisket it rib bones, that is what my light weight bone saw is designed for, however, when it comes to breaking down and dismembering a carcass, the surgical blade type knife is hard to beat.

Zactly and well said!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Got an Outdoor Edge for Christmas and I love it. Skinned two deer with the first blade and it was still reasonably sharp. My sturdier knives are generally on hand also, and I used one of them to do a quick scrape down the sides of the OE when it got coated in fat.

Now with even more aplomb
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I got an Outdoor Edge for Christmas too. I haven't used it but sure want to give it a try. I will try to remember this thread to give feedback once I do.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I think you'll like it.

I just resharpen with a hard Arkansas stone and it's good to go. I've yet to replace the original blade.

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have been using Havalon's since they came out and on both moose and large bears I typically need to change the blades once. Like with any sharp tool you need to be careful but I have no problem changing blades with my hands by pushing up and lifting the dull end.
I use mine for all the skinning and fleshing, not for butchering. I still carry a proper Victornox butcher and skinning knives for the big cutting chores.

[Linked Image]

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I fear breaking a blade and getting cut just like the earlier post said. Have never not been happy with one knife that was sharp to begin with. Only ever had to gut a few elk. Many whitetail have been dressed and a fair number butchered in the field. Limited experience compared to some here I know. Seems like Phil has a good plan. A good sturdy knife for rougher work, a lighter duty but sharper one for precise work

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've used the havalon on about 8 deer and it's been great .... granted it's hot it's limitations but if you let the blade cut it will cut. It will not pry or saw, I have other tools for that

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

244 members (450yukon, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 300_savage, 39 invisible), 2,362 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,698
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.