byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm addicted to Gunsmoke and Ms Kitty!!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm an LEO and recently found a 20 year old boy dead after what turned out to be a heroin overdose. I had to talk to his mother about it who had just lost her husband to a heart attack six months ago. She relied on her son to help with their family business and she had recently taken him back in after a stint in rehab. He had gone to an NA meeting that same day. It's heart breaking.

Keep your eye on the fruit........
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by isaac
I could never and would never shun blood or true friends because of their weaknesses/addictions.

It's hard to get into my circle. Once there, they've earned their spot and I don't revert to fair weathered because they're going through a rough patch.

The "mile in their moccasins..." sort of deal; for me, anyways.

I know what your saying and agree in most cases but when your wife is threatened by one of these lowlifes I think even you would change your mind.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Impossible to understand, ain't it.

No doubt. The world was theirs, right there before them, with everything they needed to succeed. Good families, good friends, good upbringing, healthy and a mile ahead of 90% of others around the world to begin with, and yet, they just fooking threw it all away...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I never drank much booze even while I was a young loud mouthed punk. I smoked cigarettes for twenty four years and then just quit. The driving force in my quitting was when my two little girls came to me one evening and begged me to give smoking up as they didn't want me to die from cancer. That was back in 1976. I didn't have much of a problem in quitting. Just made up my mind to quit and did it.

Never had any desire to try any drug from MJ on up. There were a few times when I drank enough whiskey to get drunk and do things that I wouldn't have otherwise. Must have thought it fun at the time but later on was completely ashamed of some of the things I did. In other words, I lost control of myself and didn't like that so I quit that also.

Now we all (most) condemn people using drugs but many people seem to base their manhood on what kind and how much booze they consume and think nothing of it. Being around somebody that is drunk or even a little bit drunk (if that's possible) is more than I can handle. We probably all have been around some guy that has been drinking a little and he doesn't realize it but he is starting to say and do things he wouldn't if he was not drinking. Not good.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My sister has a son that's been an addict for most of his 30 years.

The sad thing is, she has now defined her life by his success or failure. When it started involving my family, I made the cut. Haven't lost any sleep over it.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by poboy
Just read a report that stated the Canadian soldier 's killer had a $160 a day heroin habit, according to his friend.

Thank the drug war for turning what would be $1.60 of useless into 160 reasons to victimize someone today with 160 more tomorrow.

Heard of many alcoholics stealing six figures from their families or copper from my house? Because a half gallon of Bowmans is 10 bucks and they don't have to.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
There were a few times when I drank enough whiskey to get drunk and do things that I wouldn't have otherwise.

Hmm. That's a weird side-effect.

whistle smirk

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Fun thread, BTW.

wink

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Lost a very close friend to heroin overdose. He was only 25. Had most everything going for him. Never guessed him to be a junky. Sure he smoked a bit of pot now and then knew him to occasionally pop a few pills. I had similar transgressions now and then. Never seen him strung out or dope sick.

He came from a great family. He was in school was originally from a smaller town about 60 miles away. Some days his mom would drop by were we both worked just to say hi and drop off lunch. She and his dad were both counselors for troubled youth. He would try and get home to be with his family as often as possible.

He had a couple days off coming up and wanted to head home. It was not pay week and he was short money. As I left work for the day I gave him fifty bucks and told him jokingly don't do anything stupid.

Two days later I get the call that he was found the day before dead in a dope house of an overdose. Never had a death hit me so hard. Could not get the thought out of my head of what if I had not given him the money.

It is a terrible drug that can be easily hidden. I saw the guy five days a week and did not have a clue and his parents did not either. Don't think there is any reason a user could give for using that would make any sense to a non user. Some of their "problems" I would not even crack a beer over if I had to deal with them.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Guy I work with is 53. His daughter who has always been trouble had a kid while on heroin. She just left it there and he brought it home from the hospital. So now him and his wife care for it.

Nothing like raising a newborn living in a travel trailer and driving an hour to work each way. He's got 8 kids now, 4 of his and 4 of his wifes kids plus his grandkid now. I think he supports all but one of them.

Otto is my co-pilot.
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Nicotine never was my thing either.

Would REALLY...REALLY....REALLY.....hate to give up drinkin' beer though......grin

I like beer. Seriously enjoy the taste of beer, but I have maybe 1 or 2 a week. Maybe. And I don't go out of my way for it. Same with liquor - mainly scotch and tequila.

Tobacco smoke. I love it. Second hand, 1st hand - whatever.

Pipe, cigar, doesn't matter.

When I finally quit my 26 year habit, the hardest thing was sticking the 1st week. I'd drop it for a day or two, sometimes 4 or 5, but I would always end up stopping at a gas station and grabbing a pack, or bumming one off my Dad or co-workers.

I had to nibble that thing down by forcing myself not to smoke at specific trigger times - (driving, after meals, work breaks, etc) until I finally realized I had a "pack every week" habit. Then I was able to convince myself it was truly kickable. Haven't had one in months. Don't even want one.

But I'll walk through a cloud of people smoking every now and then, just to get a whiff.

If I ever have to give up midget oriental hookers, I don't know what I'd do.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

You also don't chew very much.

Whatever helps you sleep at night, junkie.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
grin WIthout cope, I doubt I could.

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It wouldnt be called an addiction but for years I chewed tobacco. Didnt need it, could go days without. When two friends got oral cancer I quit. Havent bought a poke in years, have only begged maybe 6 chews in over 10 years. However everytime I see or smell the stuff I want some ... bad.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a hard time wrapping my mind around true addiction...

I used to work with a guy that no matter what he did it was balls to the wall. He popped hydrocodone like candy for years and probably continues today. Even though he could barely play a guitar, he purchased 53 Fender guitars in about a 1 year span.

He spent 20K on trap and skeet shooting when he got into that for a year or two. His whole life is one addiction after another, whether it booze, cigarettes, pills, or guitars, and it has cost him his wives and kids.

I simply don't get it?

Last edited by Lonny; 10/25/14.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Seen a bunch of Jesus addicts too...

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rattler
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by heavywalker
Originally Posted by RWE
Nicotine was bad enough.

I hate to see the horse.

+1 putting down the can was rough business.

I quit dipping like nothing. I don't know why people make such a big deal about it.

Travis

some people aint wired for addiction....my brother is the same way as you, had zero problem quitting.....

I think so too. I'm convinced that some folk have a familial or genetic makeup that makes them much more susceptible to addictive behavior. It's not quite as simple as just stating they are completely stupid, selfish, or uncaring of others and family. And I'm not justifying it or excusing it or cutting them any slack but it might be a window into how some and their family members struggle mightily with, say alcohol, and others can walk away.

Of course there are all the other pieces of the collage--like emotional hurt, anger, etc.,-- that go into a person seeking escape in some type of temporary euphoria.

My personal opinion of the various rehab programs and their overall dismal success rate which IIRC is less than or somewhere around 15% lies in their secularizing the programs and taking God as The Higher Power out of them. Now a guy can name his truck as his joke'n "higher power." I'm convinced that for many hard core addicts there will only be freedom in Christ. Outside of that, slim chance.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
For 10 years of my life I smoked around an ounce of pot every week.For anyone that doesn't know, that's about 100 joints a week.

I was born again and have been completely free for 18 years. No withdraws, no going back even a little.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Seen a bunch of Jesus addicts too...

It's the one addiction that can save you. wink

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (16penny, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 17Hunter, 163bc, 1234, 71 invisible), 2,041 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,829
Posts18,496,613
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.