Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The Nov/Dec 2014 issue of Sports Afield arrived here today, containing a John Barsness article "Still The One". The article begins
  • Think had for a minute, or even an hour, and try to come up with any mechanical device developed before 1900 that's still considered the best. Steam locomotive? Pocket watch? Alexander Graham Bell's version of the smartphone? Nope, nope, and nope.
Well-researched, well-written, and well-illustrated, John's article extols the Model 98 Mauser as the best of the bolt-actions for hunting rifles.

It took only a minute or so to come up with the likelihood that the best dropping-block action for a hunting rifle was developed before 1900. However, there doesn't appear to be any consensus of "best dropping block" that is equivalent to that for the M98 in the bolt-action category. The Farquharson, Rolling Block, Sharps, Sharps-Borchardt, M1885, all have advocates for best-in-category.

However, apart from firearms, it took a little less than an hour for me to come up with another mechanical device in which a pre-1900 model was best: Dover hand-held hand-operated egg beaters. Like the M1898, the Dover beater incorporated a number of patents. Several million were sold before 1900. They became so popular and commonplace that some recipe books used the term "dovering eggs" to indicate the eggs were to be beaten with a hand-held mixer. Like the M98, the patents on Dover beaters have expired long ago, and there are modern imitators for sale, perhaps with "improvements"; none do their job better than a good old Dover. You can find them in antique shops and eBay. Also like the M98, prices for original Dover beaters have started to rise sharply.
--Bob
[Linked Image]

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks very much for the information! I may have to use it, say a decade from now when somebody asks me to write another 98 Mauser article.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
The safety pin and humble paper clip come immediately to mind, though I would rather have a Mauser '98.
Well done John, keep our minds focused where betterment lay.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Toilet paper. Toilet paper rolls were patented in 1883.
Nothing better yet....

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
In nominating the Dover mixer, I was attempting to stay within John's category of a "mechanical device". My inference from the article was that, first, the device had to possess some moderate (at least) mechanical complexity. Second, it also must have been available in several design variations so that one or another pre-1900 model of the type of device might be called "best".
--Bob

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bowie Knife smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
The Claw Hammer. What's to improve on it?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No argument here, M98 it is. grin

Must be right? Last time I did an inventory there were at least four or five variants in the pile. Some, the Real McCoy.

Two more, if we count them 1903 "knockoffs"? smirk

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I hesitate to state the obvious here but another mechanical device developed before 1900 that is "still the one"- how abut the 1894 Winchester? grin. and invented in America, too.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Bowie Knife smile

I'll vote for that!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'd not consider a knife a mechanical device.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Nothing better yet....

Probably the MOST important invention yet!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'd not consider a knife a mechanical device.

No, but much more useful than a egg beater!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nothing better yet....

My TP rolls have shrunk an inch in width however the diameter of their target has remained the same as best as I can tell.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by idahoguy101
The Claw Hammer. What's to improve on it?

It has too many moving parts to ever be successful. I predict it won't last another 200-300 years. smirk

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

A Colt SAA has got to be near the top of pre1900 inventions...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Would have thought the bottle opener would have gotten some love...

Good point John. I just wish Mauser had been left handed.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by shrapnel
A Colt SAA has got to be near the top of pre1900 inventions...
Very likely true. However--

JB wrote to support the proposition that the Mauser 98 is the best hunting bolt action ever. He argued this by citing many points of the M98's superiority to other actions, and noted that the M98 is widely regarded as being the best bolt action for a hunting rifle. (I found his arguments convincing, but I will admit prejudice; even the shotgun I use for turkey hunting is an M98, somewhat modified.)

The challenge which introduced the article was to name another pre-1900 mechanism besides the M98 that was better than anything since developed in its class. The only example I could come up with quickly was a hand-cranked egg beater, which compared with hunting rifles is admittedly a pretty obscure category.

In this context, the question for the Colt SAA would be this: Is the Colt SAA, a pre-1900 mechanism, better than any other single action revolver? For the title of best-in-class, the Ruger and Freedom Arms revolvers, introduced post-1900, might be tough competitors of the Colt.

A previous suggestion that the M94 Winchester might be the best lever action for hunting is intriguing. It was developed well before 1900, and is undeniably the most popular such action. Would it be considered a better lever action than the M71?

--Bob

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by BullShooter=shrapnel

A previous suggestion that the M94 Winchester might be the best lever action for hunting is intriguing. It was developed well before 1900, and is undeniably the most popular such action. Would it be considered a better lever action than the M71?

--Bob
No, I vote that would have to be the Savage 99.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by 308ragincajun
I hesitate to state the obvious here but another mechanical device developed before 1900 that is "still the one"- how abut the 1894 Winchester? grin. and invented in America, too.

Savage 99 has it beat six ways to Sunday (and still pre 1900).

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would nominate the Thermos Bottle, invented in 1892. Originally called a vacuum flask or Dewar flask after its inventor, it has been keeping hot things hot and cold things cold for over a century.

But the mystery remains: how do it know? How do it know?

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The S&W New Model three was the best pre-1900 single action.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
This has been very interesting, partly because (per usual) most of the people who've posted haven't read the article.

I probably should have specifically mentioned "complex" mechanical devices, but space is always at a premium in magazine articles these days, and I thought my list of other devices would make my point plain. If we really want to be sticklers, probably the oldest human-made device still considered the best for the purpose is the club, and millions are still made every year, whether in the form of baseball bats, golf clubs or nunchuks.

One of several points made in the article is that shooters are STILL spending money to convert old 98 Mauser military actions into custom hunting rifles, whether "using" rifles for hard knocks in the wilderness, or rifles made by famous semi-artists with stocks of the fanciest walnut.

Very few people do that with old Model 94 Winchesters, and as we have seen here, there isn't anywhere near as much agreement about exactly which lever action is "best," even among Winchester addicts. The suggestion that the 1873 Colt is the best single-action ever is even more debatable.

While the Savage 99 is a great lever-action (and demonstrably "better" in many ways than any of the outside-hammer, tube magazine lever-actions, whether made by Winchester or not), it isn't even made anymore. 98 Mausers are, and most of the essential parts of new 98's are interchangeable with those in the actions of original military rifles--and you can't rebuild old Dover eggbeaters with parts from those sold in Wal-Mart.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Not to mention the fact that I HATE having to wear a rubber on my egg beater...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
This has been very interesting, partly because (per usual) most of the people who've posted haven't read the article.

I probably should have specifically mentioned "complex" mechanical devices, but space is always at a premium in magazine articles these days, and I thought my list of other devices would make my point plain. If we really want to be sticklers, probably the oldest human-made device still considered the best for the purpose is the club, and millions are still made every year, whether in the form of baseball bats, golf clubs or nunchuks.

One of several points made in the article is that shooters are STILL spending money to convert old 98 Mauser military actions into custom hunting rifles, whether "using" rifles for hard knocks in the wilderness, or rifles made by famous semi-artists with stocks of the fanciest walnut.

Very few people do that with old Model 94 Winchesters, and as we have seen here, there isn't anywhere near as much agreement about exactly which lever action is "best," even among Winchester addicts. The suggestion that the 1873 Colt is the best single-action ever is even more debatable.

While the Savage 99 is a great lever-action (and demonstrably "better" in many ways than any of the outside-hammer, tube magazine lever-actions, whether made by Winchester or not), it isn't even made anymore. 98 Mausers are, and most of the essential parts of new 98's interchangeable with those in the actions of original military rifles--and you can't rebuild old Dover eggbeaters with parts from those sold in Wal-Mart.

I guess my point is not which is the best ever, but the lasting impact is similar. I would also guess there could be a good debate as to the 98 being the best bolt action available today, as there have been modified versions that certainly eclipse the original.

The Colt still functions and works reliably today without modifications the same as the 98 Mauser. Improvements is a term that can be loosely used in either case, but as they were originally designed, they both perform well...

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Cotton gin...

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The bicycle.

We all know advertising works, we just don’t think it works on US!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Cotton gin...

Been around one of those lately? They have changed a lot.

Lasting impact, socially and politically is impossible to measure, though. The America we know is the direct result of the cotton gin & the steam engine.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Gutenberg printing press. That's the one.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Wrong, even more impactful is an invention by Al Gore...the Internet

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

Wrong, even more impactful is an invention by Al Gore...the Internet

Stay on topic please. The discussion is prior to 1900.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I just made up the word "impactful" and wanted to use it in a sentence...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How about fiddles? Priced a fuucing Guarneri or Strad lately?

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No, but much more useful than a egg beater!

Although she had electric and hand turned egg beaters, my late Mother always used one of these, eggbeater , for beating eggs used in Her cooking. She was a great cook and did everything Her way even if it was harder and took more time. I miss Her a lot. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Mechanical fiddle? Must be German

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by BullShooter
The Nov/Dec 2014 issue of Sports Afield arrived here today, containing a John Barsness article "Still The One". The article begins[list][*][i]Think had for a minute, or even an hour, and try to come up with any mechanical device developed before 1900 that's still considered the best. Steam locomotive? Pocket watch? Alexander Graham Bell's version of the smartphone? Nope, nope, and nope.[

Automobile: No other mechanical device did more to expand hunting horizons and for the most part still the best way to get there.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They've got knobs!

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
So does the 'Fire.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fer shure..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
They've got knobs!

Where were you yesterday?

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
222 Rem Mag?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Stay on topic, that is a later improved version of a 98 Mauser...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Is that a Mossberg bolt action shotgun w/Polychoke - or a rifle with a brake? My glasses are around here someplace, maybe.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Sako .30-06?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Nice Remington 700

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
battue,

Please tell me which pre-1900 automobile is still considered among the best for driving today.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
They've got knobs!

Where were you yesterday?

[Linked Image]

Working, watching volleyball.

I'll shoot one of those stinky things next week.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gonna use a tikka.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I thought this thread was for stuff over 100years old that still works. I thought Shrap was only barely older than me..( and no, Im not 100 yet....)

I love the tikka idea....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
battue,

Please tell me which pre-1900 automobile is still considered among the best for driving today.

You win on the specific example. However, when it comes to the evolution of the example I think the automobile has merit as it relates to hunting.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Newhouse No. 4 1/2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Good one!!!!

You still run into them occassionally up here.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'll take it over an egg beater, unless I'm the one beating her eggs.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Petroleum jelly....

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I think that Kentucky jelly is better for some stuff.... whistle

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Battue,

The article was about ONE SPECIFIC EXAMPLE, specifically the 98 Mauser, not an essay about the history of human technology in general.

I always love the posts generated when somebody quotes a couple sentences from an entire article, and then a bunch of Campfire guys who've never read the article make irrelevant comments.

John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Way it goes here and my inclination is it will not change anytime soon.

However, if it helps any I will read the article shortly. smile

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by ingwe

Rumor has it lard was the preferred choice in certain locals way back when.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H

Its Counciltucky jelly, in Iowa....

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
battue,

On a different tack, thanks for the inspiration. Will begin my next article on hunting rifles by going back to the beginnings of human history, reviewing all the changes in technology from the first moment we made fire. Then I'll finish up the piece with a paragraph on whatever subject the article is supposedly about.

Dang! I just remembered another gun writer who uses that technique all the time....

John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Well, how about having that one come out when hunting season is over. I'm going to have to block off more than a little reading time. smile

Think you could say a little something on the evolution of the hunting Cocker and its original intermingling with the Springer Spaniel?

Best get to work, I'm not getting any younger. smile

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
When did they stop making Savage 99's?

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
What does .223 AI mean?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I love old mechanical devices and one of the reasons I like repeating shotguns as they just represent Yankee ingenuity. Having said that one of my favorite gizmos is my grandfathers old hand crank corn sheller . Drop a cob in the top turn the crank and its spins around while all the kernels are removed and then the spent cob is ejected out the front takes maybe 15-20 seconds.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by cra1948
What does .223 AI mean?

.223 Awesome Ingwe

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cra1948
What does .223 AI mean?

It means you have come late to the dance and all the good looking girls have been taken and you get the zitty, buck toothed skank and didn't realize the 222 Remington magnum was already on the dance floor...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by battue

Rumor has it lard was the preferred choice in certain locals way back when.

Locals or locales? Or both?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I think both. He's close to Appalachia.......

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Locales was what I meant-it just didn't look right-but you are right I'm close, and I would bet it is more than rumor.

Addition: to stay a little on track, a slimmed down and balanced 98 would be a nice choice. Started out with a 98 in 8mm and had a re barreled 09 Argentine with a Brown pounder that in hindsight I should have kept.

Last edited by battue; 10/26/14.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Snorkel

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
But the "zitty,bucktoothed skank" probably has a nice personality.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
She does grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Her name is 223AI...

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yep. Great personality, and she moves fast......

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
At least she's a real broad. If she was named 222RM she'd be sporting a 7" 'clit'

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
shocked

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Battue,

The article was about ONE SPECIFIC EXAMPLE, specifically the 98 Mauser, not an essay about the history of human technology in general.

I always love the posts generated when somebody quotes a couple sentences from an entire article, and then a bunch of Campfire guys who've never read the article make irrelevant comments.

So, basically the same thing that happens on almost every thread here, every day?

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep!

As a matter of fact that's how I started posting on the Campfire, years ago. I'd been lurking for six months or so, then somebody mentioned an article of mine that had just appeared, quoting maybe three sentences. Whereupon several guys posted that I was FOS, so I posted, explaining the context, and exactly why they were FOS. And another Campfire tradition began....

John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Bourbon

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I find that generally being FOS suits me well and I cannot recommend it too highly, or too often.

Darn near 'bout time for a GFY or two by now, ain't it? whistle

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Bailey hand plane, as made by Stanley and many others- and still in production. I use one of my No.s 1 through 8 hand planes at least a couple times a week in my shop/job, as do pretty much all serious woodworkers I know. As with the Mauser 98, parts from current production planes generally fit early pre-1900 ones. In fact, the No. 2 I use probably more than all the rest combined, was made pre-1899.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Unchanged since 1882, and still the best way to open a bottle of wine.

Sommelier knife

A sommelier knife, waiter's friend or wine key is a corkscrew in a folding body similar to a pocket knife. It was conceived by the German Karl Wienke in 1882 and patented in Germany, England, and America.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corkscrew

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
It is the best way to open a bottle of wine. Though I once did it with a Dewalt drill when we were sleeping on the floor in the new house.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

There you go, wine bibbing. Wine openers helped France stay on the "most occupied" status for two consecutive World Wars...

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
No modern bolt action rifle design has improved on the basic Mauser 98. Some are cheaper to make, some are fancier, some may be stronger (questionable), but the M98 sets the standard in style, functionality and ......

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

There you go, wine bibbing. Wine openers helped France stay on the "most occupied" status for two consecutive World Wars...

Note that it was invented by a German...

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael

The sneaky bastids...

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nothing better yet....

not quite the best .... flushing toilet .... beats a squat by a tree smile

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael

It was also Germans that planted the trees along the boulevard to the Arch de Triumphe so that whenever the Germans invaded France, they could do it in the shade...

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
You may invade our country but leave us be free to make our creamy sauces.

It's better heard in a French accent.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
UFO's - Flying saucers

It's not that Liberals are unwilling to listen to another point of view, they are just simply amazed that another one exists.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
John, in your opinion what would be the best genuine Mauser 98 action to build a working rifle on? Probably not interested in mark -x, or non C ring FN's.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
For me a better question would be who makes a modern one that doesn't weight too much

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I like Mark X's and FN's (and don't really care whether they're C-ring or not), partly because all the major "sporterizing" stuff has already been done. Plus, the bolt handle shape hardly ever interferes with scopes, and the knob is swept back far enough that you don't have to reach forward for it.

But if you just don't like either action, there are several good military actions--and for a working rifle the conversions required wouldn't be all that expensive. I'd even just rework the military trigger.

1909 Argentines are normally very well made, and they already have a hinged floorplate if that's what you want, but they're usually pretty expensive these days. (The real 98 super-custom loonies often replace the floorplate with custom bottom metal anyway, even though it's really all that distinguishes 1909's from other good military actions.)

Usually you can get a decent pre-WWII VZ-24 action for a lot less money than the 1909's, but the actions made during German occupation can be iffy. I'd probably look for a good VZ-24, and the non-hinged military floorplates won't EVER open accidentally. The German- or FN-made military 98's for South American countries are also usually good.

Some FN commercial actions came with the military style floorplate, though more streamlined and without the extra-locking screws. It's what's on my FN-actioned .338, for instance.

John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
John, I hear you on the C - ring issue. However not having the feature might set my rifle loony old into a tail spin.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, I know all about that in other ways! It's kind of the Martha Stewart Syndrome for Rifle Loonies: Everything must be just so....

John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
For me a better question would be who makes a modern one that doesn't weight too much

Kimber

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
A Kimber isn't even close to a Mauser 98.

Last edited by BWalker; 10/30/14.
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Got a chuckle out of this caption on page 70 Nov/Dec 2014 issue of Sports Afield. "Few mechanical devices developed in the eighteenth century are still considered the very best. This K98 was made in Erfurt factory in 1915."

Didn't know that the 98 Mauser really meant 1798. smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
It really was ahead of its time!

John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by BWalker
A limber isn't even close to a Mauser 98.

I know. It's lighter....

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
And in addition it's not even close to a 98.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Someone asked about a lighter, modern version.

Which lighter, modern version is yours?

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
It really was ahead of its time!
laugh

By the way excellent article. cool

Last edited by elkhunternm; 10/31/14.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The kimber shares virtually no desgign features with a 98. I dont know how to be more clear.
The only lighter version I am aware of is Stuart Satterlees TI action.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
The common clothing zipper:

In 1851, Elias Howe received a patent for an "Automatic, Continuous Clothing Closure".

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The wheel.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have to ask the same thing I asked Battue when he said "the automobile." Exactly which pre-1900 wheel is still considered the absolute best today?

John Steinbeck
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
John you got me there....my answer was non responsive grin

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I'd guess the lever is the oldest "mechanical" device. Either that or the toothpick, though it's sort of a very short lever.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

While the Savage 99 is a great lever-action (and demonstrably "better" in many ways than any of the outside-hammer, tube magazine lever-actions, whether made by Winchester or not), it isn't even made anymore. 98 Mausers are, and most of the essential parts of new 98's interchangeable with those in the actions of original military rifles--and you can't rebuild old Dover eggbeaters with parts from those sold in Wal-Mart.

I guess my point is not which is the best ever, but the lasting impact is similar. I would also guess there could be a good debate as to the 98 being the best bolt action available today, as there have been modified versions that certainly eclipse the original.

The Colt still functions and works reliably today without modifications the same as the 98 Mauser. Improvements is a term that can be loosely used in either case, but as they were originally designed, they both perform well...

I gotta ask...
Which bolt action do you consider to be better than a 98, as a HUNTING rifle?

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Well....all I know is I never should have read the article because now it has me all lathered up to find a nice Mauser. cry

I haven't had one in a long time.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Another here. grin

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Nothing better yet....

No comparison Worth every penny of the increased cost.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
battue you are such a rifle slut! grin

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
its always interesting and entertaining to compare action designs. Another way to compare is to look at a part by part comparison of the primary action components and rate and compare them. Too me, the primary components would be as follows although I might have forgot some:

1) receiver design
2) smoothness of feeding
3) breeching and gas handling
4) extractor design
5) ejector design and location
6) safety design and function
7) trigger design and function
8) floorplate function
9) bolt ( is it one piece or fabricated with 2 or more pieces)

I would say that for # 1, 2,5, 6, 7, and 9 the old model 70 rates pretty high.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I like to think of myself as more of a tramp. grin

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (1minute, 2500HD, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 61 invisible), 2,318 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,176
Posts18,503,222
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.