Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by eyeball
Rost, y'all don't ever barbecue any?

No. I don't much care for goat or sheep. And the owner is an attorney. We hope we can keep the lease.... that bastard would sue you if you shot his goats.

We got questioned to death on a dead turkey carcass half a mile away from where any of us hunt, and 2 weeks before season was open.....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Freakin lowyers. wink

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a few scattered but related stories that pertain to this thread.

My Grandfather told me that when He was running a small store here, way back but I do not know when, He took his team and wagon to Little Rock to get some supplies. The distance is between 40-50 miles depending on where in Little Rock and what route was there at the time. He said that it was normally a 3 day affair, go 1 day, gather things 1 day and return the 3rd day. Anyway, his horses did well and made good time, so at the livery he decided to reward them with some good alfalfa, but they had never seen it and would not eat. He had to buy some prairie hay before they would eat.

Back when baiting deer with corn became popular here, I tried it. My deer would not eat the corn, just coons and opossums. I finally soaked the corn in apple juice and got them started, and then they would eat the non-juiced corn. Lots of corn raised here now, but not back then.

We have a lot of hedge bushes that are a relative newcomer to the area and they are becoming a nuisance and spreading fast. They have some small hard seeds on them but I never paid them much attention because they don't seem to fall off. On day back in the 90's I was coming back from taking my Dad to the Hospital in Little Rock, when I saw a goat on the side of the road, on his hind legs, eating those seeds off of the hedge bushes. The next day I looked at the ones on my place and sure enough the deer had browsed them as high as they could reach. I keep a close watch on them now and some years they are some of the main browse and others not so much, depending on other food sources. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Many years ago before feeding corn became the rage, the owner of the timberland I hunt in East Texas decided to try it after hearing about folks using it in South and Central Texas. The deer wouldn't mess with it for about a year or two.

I wonder if adapting to a new food requires a gradual change in gut flora besides getting used to it being around.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wonder if adapting to a new food requires a gradual change in gut flora besides getting used to it being around.

Most likely. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 1lesfox, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 58 invisible), 2,374 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,381
Posts18,488,572
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.