Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
m77 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I recently had a question regarding a long action build. I am pretty keen on a 300 RUM or 7 STW. I saw a Rem Sendero SF2 in 300 RUM for sale and would like to know how these rifles perform. How is the HS stock that comes with it?

I might still build something from scratch but this rifle is priced well and I guess I can still improve the action later on and screw on a custom barrel.

I am thinking it might be a good platform for a build and maybe the stock rifle shoots good enough to hold on to the stock barrel till it is burned out. The 230 OTMs seems like a great bullet and one I would love to try from the RUM.

I guess I just need to know whether the Senderos are worth spending money on or should I rather look elsewhere?

Thanks

Pieter

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I used to have one but a guy at work wanted it so bad I traded him.

I think it is one of the very best options for the long range game. But the 300 RUM, brass is not made by as many makers. All my brass was Remington. Nonetheless the brass used to be affordable and usually available. About 3 out of 100 seemed to be always mangled pretty bad brand new.

If I am not mistaken the twist is 1/10 which folks said was marginal for the sierra match kings in 240 grain.

As a matter of course I get an aftermarket trigger for Remingtons right off the bat because of the cloud of doubt that hangs over them for letting off the safety without pulling the trigger and it fires. I have heard too many anecdotes to ignore it but folks get hot when discussing it.

Bruce Baer over in Willow Hill once remarked that if you are serious about going full tilt in the long range game, pick a cartridge that Lapua makes brass for it. Unless things have changed Lapua don't make RUM brass. Nonetheless my reloads were sub moa with Remington brass.

Good luck bro, I don't think you can go wrong with it and it certainly is something you can build upon, especially if you get it at a good price.

I seem to be the only fellow on these boards who has anything good to say about the HS stocks; but I think they are very good and a good value. You could probably sell it easily if you don't like it.

How are things going over there in South Africa?

Last edited by Robert_White; 10/06/14.

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
m77 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Robert_White
I used to have one but a guy at work wanted it so bad I traded him.

I think it is one of the very best options for the long range game. But the 300 RUM, brass is not made by as many makers. All my brass was Remington. Nonetheless the brass used to be affordable and usually available. About 3 out of 100 seemed to be always mangled pretty bad brand new.

If I am not mistaken the twist is 1/10 which folks said was marginal for the sierra match kings in 240 grain.

As a matter of course I get an aftermarket trigger for Remingtons right off the bat because of the cloud of doubt that hangs over them for letting off the safety without pulling the trigger and it fires. I have heard too many anecdotes to ignore it but folks get hot when discussing it.

Bruce Baer over in Willow Hill once remarked that if you are serious about going full tilt in the long range game, pick a cartridge that Lapua makes brass for it. Unless things have changed Lapua don't make RUM brass. Nonetheless my reloads were sub moa with Remington brass.

Good luck bro, I don't think you can go wrong with it and it certainly is something you can build upon, especially if you get it at a good price.

I seem to be the only fellow on these boards who has anything good to say about the HS stocks; but I think they are very good and a good value. You could probably sell it easily if you don't like it.

How are things going over there in South Africa?

Thanks for the info.

Apart from corruption, crime and our joke of a government things are doing well smile Just waiting for the rain to come now .

Pieter

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Pieter,

I am curious, are you of Dutch lineage?

Have you ever read anything by Andrew Murray?

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
m77 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Robert_White
Pieter,

I am curious, are you of Dutch lineage?

Have you ever read anything by Andrew Murray?

Yes, I am Afrikaans. Our family is basically half Dutch half German, but I am 4th gen.

I have read about him. Same guy that were from Graaff Reinet?

Pieter

Last edited by m77; 10/07/14.
IC B2

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
In my opinion, they are great rifle, and a great platform to get out and start shooting, or build off of.

the 230s or the 215 hybrids should be awesome out of it.

For the right price, its probably worth trying. It doesnt sound like you would loose money on the deal.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Sendro rifles are good! That caliber I wouldn't pay 15 cents for! Way overbore!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've had slightly mixed results with the factory HS Precision stocks. I had a SS Sendero in .25-'06 which had a big bubble in the stock under the fore end. First it just seemed to be a bulge of material contacting the barrel so I sanded it out. Turned out to be a thin layer of "stuff" hiding a pretty massive cavity. I think it compromised the stiffness of the stock. That gun never would shoot well. I had it for about a year, shot the hell out of it trying to get accuracy ... enough that the COL for my ammo increased by 0.3 inches as the throat wore ... and never did get success.

The others I had were great.

The issue I'd have with both .300 RUM and 7mm STW right now is brass availability. Nosler is offering both, otherwise, you're SOL. I've been on a notification list for arrival of Remington brass in both calibers for almost a year. Still waiting. I have no qualms about either option other than that. One of the most fun rifles I ever owned was a Sendero in 7mm STW. For longer strings of shots, the STW was about all the recoil I want ... or maybe a little more. I think I'd look at putting a brake on a RUM.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by RMulhern
Sendro rifles are good! That caliber I wouldn't pay 15 cents for! Way overbore!!

Not sure if you were kidding, but a 300 rum with a 230gr vld is OVER GOOD for long range hunting.Ten twist stabalizes them just fine. I think a stock sendero is a great way to start. By the time you burn the barrel up you will know what you want to do to it as far as building a custom to your liking.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I have 1 in a 300 RUM and love the gun!! I had a break installed and the recoil is nice, can shoot it 30-40 times or more no problems at all. I shoot the 185gr berger classic elite hunters with H1000 and shoots VERY well!!!! THis load has been very good on elk

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd happlily go 7mm RUM over 300 or STW.

Sans brake.....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It would be a great gun if you have a Gun Bearer. Not so great for hiking in the Rockies.

I've had two in that Caliber, and they shoot great. And I've had really good luck with the Factory HS Precision stocks.
Personally I'd prefer the 220 grain Partition.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
m77 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the info, I do appreciate it. Phoned the guy today to make an arrangement and the price went up by a lot compared to what it was advertised for. He is now asking about the same as a 700 clone and barrel would cost me around here. Think I would be better off with the custom build and then adding a stock of my choice.

Apparently the guy linked the price with the Dollar/Rand exchange which is not great for us at the moment. Maybe he should then not advertise any prices with his firearms.

Thanks again for the info, maybe I will run into one at the right price soon.

Pieter

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nosler makes excellent brass. Been reloading it for my buddy's sako 75 300 rum. the 210 ABLR and he 230 Berger are both great!

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1234, 16gage, 53 invisible), 2,423 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,405
Posts18,470,186
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.