-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't own ANY scopes that quite often don't work correctly, nor would I. I have zero tolerance/time for junk.

I think the Leupy fixed 6X would be a fine choice as I stated earlier. I also stated that the 6X SS is more scope than I would want on a M7 that will be mainly a hunting rifle. I actually like my LWs to handle like LWs.

As for other suggestions, my M7 wears a Leupold 3-9x40 Mark 4 PR. My Sako Finnlight wears a Leupy VariXIII Tactical 3.5-10x40. Either would be great IMO. But, said he doesn't prefer Leupolds, and as far as hunting scopes with target turrets go, they are about all I use after trying many brands/models........

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Does your supposed 30% failure rate come from/during hunting?

When/where are these supposed failures occuring and how?

This the point that you CONTINUALLY MISS.......

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Formid, you are a real piece of work my friend. A couple of corrections, for the record:

LR shooting is not difficult as long as the wind cooperates. No matter what your ego
wants to let you believe. Nobody dopes windy conditions correctly every time.
You're not David Tubb or Todd Hodnett. Unlike you, they don't need to mouth off how great they are.
I do not get upset about optics or 24hcf discussions, ever.
I have no reservations about admitting when a scope breaks down, as that SwaroA
did. When my other stuff breaks down, I'll let you know.

I'm real tempted to make you an offer to allow you to put your money where your big mouth is........
You forget I've used stuff big game hunting probably longer than you've been alive.
You're world is different from the everyday hunter, as explained before. You need to
quit trying to equate the two.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
My world is the everyday redneck hunter. I know a bunch of them and for a lot of them I am the designated driver every year at sight in time. RARELY has a POI NOT moved from the prior year. And a good portion of them are big swings. Be assured that they are not turning any turrets. Ever.

How can this be explained?

Also, why is it customary to check zero upon arrival at most hunting destinations after traveling? Because everybody knows that POI has a tendency to move?

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I just don't understand the desire to spend big money for a light rifle then throw a 2-lb scope on it. Leupold is hard to beat for options and weight. I am in my early 40's and still using a 60's era 2-7 x 32. Guess I have been lucky...

Good Shooting!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Formy---If you shoot more Leupolds in a month than I have in a lifetime, as you claim, then obviously you are not using them for hunting or occasional target shooting.

That is what the OP wants to do. In that regard, a Leupold HUNTING scope would serve him well, as would many other HUNTING scopes. Regardless of what you may think. I know because I have been using them for HUNTING for a very long time.......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You guys stay after ol Formy. I'm tired and I'm going to go get myself a light whisky and water.

I like my whiskey, but I'm not FIXED on any one of them. My likes are VARIABLE. :-)

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ctsmith
My world is the everyday redneck hunter. I know a bunch of them and for a lot of them I am the designated driver every year at sight in time. RARELY has a POI NOT moved from the prior year. And a good portion of them are big swings. Be assured that they are not turning any turrets. Ever.

How can this be explained?

Also, why is it customary to check zero upon arrival at most hunting destinations after traveling? Because everybody knows that POI has a tendency to move?

It can be explained by you admitting that some of them simply throw their rifles in the back of a truck, or just leave 'em back their to bounce around haphazardly. Secondly, I was in deer camp in Sonora, MX back in 2006. Well known booking agent and ex editor of Outdoor Life, Rich LaRocco, was there as well. He is a wealth of knowledge BTW, and a really nice and honest man. Anyway, there were 4 of us arriving and he asked customarily if we wanted to check zero. We all said "yes" of course since the rifles were handled by the baggage apes. To make a long story short, I asked Rich how often rifles showed up that needed adjusting. His reply was "seldom if ever". None of ours did, as they were spot on the chile.

The baggage apes also beat the ever lovin' piss out of my new aluminum rifle case when I went from TX to Namibia this past May. Once again, still zeroed perfectly after checking zero on arrival. I will not say that it never happens though.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Yes, some (most) rifles are thrown around in the back of truck, utv, etc. and bounced around haphazardly. This apparently is where we have a disconnect. I expect a scope to withstand this abuse. You apparently do not.

Is there a better judge of an average hunter than an average hunter?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mine have. Wouldn't own them if they didn't. They get banged off of trees, hoisted up treestands, hauled through thick timber.

I recently replaced/upgraded lots of older ones. Wish I had pics of some of them...

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 603Country
You guys stay after ol Formy. I'm tired and I'm going to go get myself a light whisky and water.

I like my whiskey, but I'm not FIXED on any one of them. My likes are VARIABLE. :-)

Agreed again. Think I'll have me some Elijah Craig 12yr. Old......but no water grin

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
No ice either.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
2muchgun,

I am not doubting your experience. I hope you aren't doubting mine. I'm sure you've seen what I'll wager will lead to a paradigm shift for rcamuglia. Leupolds fail routinely. It happens. Because it has not happened to you does not mean it doesn't happen.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I'm not doubting yours either ctsmith. I have no brand loyalty....if/when mine break down I'll announce to for all the 24hcf to hear.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mathman
No ice either.

My man...grin

Of course no ice....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I absolutely know that Leupolds fail. But use them because I have had a far higher percentage of others fail, or lose zero. I'll spare you the somewhat long list.

Overall, they have been very good to me....

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ctsmith
Yes, some (most) rifles are thrown around in the back of truck, utv, etc. and bounced around haphazardly. This apparently is where we have a disconnect. I expect a scope to withstand this abuse. You apparently do not.

Is there a better judge of an average hunter than an average hunter?

Bouncing around in the back of a truck out of a case is just stupid IMO.

I'm one as well, therefore I'm a pretty good judge too, huh?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I try to keep mine in a hard case, because I have seen what can happen when I don't.

I don't baby them in the field though....

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
JG, If you don't do stupid stuff you aren't the average hunter grin

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
I absolutely know that Leupolds fail. But use them because I have had a far higher percentage of others fail, or lose zero. I'll spare you the somewhat long list.

Overall, they have been very good to me....

I know where you're coming from. There is no perfect scope. There is a balance that has to be struck.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

518 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 160user, 45 invisible), 2,237 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,641
Posts18,493,248
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.