Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I had the opportunity to hunt some private ground near Carbondale this year and thought I'd share the report I already posted to my thread in the elk hunting forum. I good time was had by all.

I got back Sunday night and overall it was good. Very different than any elk hunt I've ever been on because I've never spent that many days sitting on my ass in my life. But the views in the area were gorgeous. This was from the highway below the ranch.

[Linked Image]

We arrived about 1:30 a.m. on opening morning and caught a few hours of shut eye in our trucks until we met the ranch manager about 5:30. The hunting party was my cousin, his 18 year-year old son, his dad (72) and me. The RM gave us the lowdown on the blinds, tree stands and how the elk flow on the property and talked about the two big bulls he'd seen several times in the past two weeks. It was a nice set up with all angles covered and no shot over 400 yards. There's a large pond on the ranch below his and the elk go down there at night for water. I stumbled on the elk highway later in the week and the amount of sign up there was insane - a trail 6 feet wide covered in elk tracks all going the same direction - away from the water.

Opening day we simply sat in blinds and waited we had a few cows wander through , but we wanted to save our cow tags for later in the week as we were hoping for a chance at the two big bulls in the area. Early afternoon, we had a small 4 point bull come in with a spike and two cows. We let him come through, hoping that a bigger bull would follow, but no luck. Later in the week, we would regret letting that small bull pass through.

[Linked Image]

Come day three, we had seen some elk, but not in any numbers and no bulls since the spike and 4 pointer. It had gotten hotter every day and was in the 70's, so the elk were mostly bedded down and higher during the week. That was the hottest week of elk hunting I've ever experienced. I'm guessing it is much more like what the fellas in Arizona and New Mexico get most years.

Day four and we were at the halfway mark - no elk down, no deer down and time was ticking, so we decided to start filling the freezer. Later in the afternoon I had a decent 4x5 come out with a few cows. I settled my 270wsm behind his shoulder at 175 yards, thought about those phantom big bulls and squeezed the trigger. His legs went all wobbly and he staggered about 30 yards before he tipped over. I was shooting the 150gr Fusion and it went clean through with a small exit wound, leading me to surmise that the bullet held together despite going through both sides of the ribcage.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

On Wednesday, my cousin had a similar 4x5 appear in front of his blind and he dispatched it with a 450 Marlin behind the shoulder at 125 yards. (sorry no pics of that one but it was a little bigger than mine). The 450 Hornady LeverRevolution slug came to rest just inside the skin of the far chest wall and it performed beautifully, retaining a lot of its initial mass.

Thursday, my cousin's son was getting itchy for a kill and harvested a nice mule deer doe with his 300wsm. She was in the trees less than 75 yards from the tree stand he was in and the shot was perfect behind the shoulder. No elk on Thursday made an appearance.

By Friday, we only had 2 elk down and it was hot as Hades, so we decided to risk kicking the elk off the mountain side and I volunteered to go put the sneak on some bedded elk and see what we could stir up. I spent the better part of 2 hours carefully moving around what we assumed were the prime bedding areas, moving slowly and keeping the wind right. For this task I took my 1957 Marlin 30-30 in case i ran into a nice deer. About 90 minutes in I about stepped on a cow in her bed. I never saw her before she bolted, despite only taking a few steps at a time and scanning the trees. I saw her but as she jumped away and 45 seconds later a shot rang out from the blinds below. Success! My cousin's son drilled her with a neck shot from 100 yards and she piled up on the spot! Three elk and three perfect shot placements equaled a lot of great meat for our families.

Not much happened on Saturday. I walked the trees again, but there were n elk on the reservation. I spotted a doe at 75 yards, but she was at the top of the ridge with no backstop, so I had to let her pass and watch her jump the fence to the next property.

Sunday morning, we finally had a premier opportunity. Not a bull, but a giant mulie buck. He walked out 375 yards broadside to my cousin's Dad and started to eat some alfalfa. Cousin's dad is a part-time deputy sheriff in a small Colorado county and brought his AR-10 and was loaded with 168gr Ballistic silvertips. He had a rest in his blind and I heard 4 shots ring out in short order - but no dead buck. I saw the dirt fly at the buck's feet. Way low. He was positive he hit it. I asked him where he aimed and he said he was zeroed at 200, so he aimed upper shoulder "because his gun only drops 6 inches at that distance". With an 18" barrel bleeding velocity, his bullet drop was probably more like 38" at 375 yards. Oh well. But what a buck. Hopefully his progeny will be running that area for years to come. Spectacular rack on that one.

Probably the best thing about the hunt was that we were able to drive a truck to within 50 yards of every kill so it was the easiest elk loading of all time. The only thing easier would be if they jumped in the truck before dying.

I also made a good contact for a 5th season cow hunt for my son in December and January. So it ended up not being the bucket list hunt that I hoped for, but still a fabulous week and a full freezer.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Outstanding!

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
WyColoCowboy:

Sounds like a fun time was had by all. Thanks for sharing.

I'm going on my first private ranch hunt this year also. Hope my hunt is as good as yours was.

Is that Mount Sopris in the background of the first photo?

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yes it is, KC - Beautiful Peak. Good luck on your hunt.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Good write up. Thanks for posting.

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Congrats. Nothing wrong with that bull. I saw several that size killed this year, including mine

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well written!

My ranch is located smack dab between "Spanish Peaks" and "Basque Del Oso" WLA's, or 8 miles N.E. of Stonewall, CO.

At this point I really haven't seen all that much activity. It's been so warm here I think most of the big herds are staying in the high county. Although I do have a resident herd here, I hate to shoot them. So, I'll wait for the migration, won't be long!

Respects,
Richard

Cat, the other white meat!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good deal--Bob

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Congrats on a nice bull Wycolocowboy.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Fantastic WCC, thanks for sharing your story.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
That sounds like incredible fun and memories.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice story and pics. Thanks for posting.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wish I lived in Colorado so I could pay someone to hunt on their ranch and sit in a blind all day and drive a truck up to the critter I shot. It's so wild and free up there and different than here.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Congrats! Great pictures too

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sounds like y'all had a good hunt, and in a beautiful place. Thanks for sharing the story and pictures.
Down in Florida, we don't, of course, have Elk or mountains. I love to see how it's done way out West.

Sam......

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I wish I lived in Colorado so I could pay someone to hunt on their ranch and sit in a blind all day and drive a truck up to the critter I shot. It's so wild and free up there and different than here.

It's very different, ask the guys who drive out from the east coast to hunt the mountains here. And you're assuming he paid because that's how they do it in TX. That's not how most do it here.

And btw, do you work hard at this?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Buckskin
Well written!

My ranch is located smack dab between "Spanish Peaks" and "Basque Del Oso" WLA's, or 8 miles N.E. of Stonewall, CO.

At this point I really haven't seen all that much activity. It's been so warm here I think most of the big herds are staying in the high county. Although I do have a resident herd here, I hate to shoot them. So, I'll wait for the migration, won't be long!

Hey Richard, that is nice country down there. I like the drive from Stonewall north a lot. Plenty of bruins in that country too.

Respects,
Richard

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That is awesome.... Good for you

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

Actually it was a gift hunt from my cousin. His son is leaving after this year after getting an appointment to the Coast Guard Academy and it was the last chance for the four of us to hunt together. And for what he paid to hunt the ranch is probably less than what the average hunter pays to drive out here and hunt in Colorado.

And as for driving up to an elk and loading it into a truck? I recommend it.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That first pic in you OP is beautiful!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (6MMWASP, 338Rules, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 35, 11 invisible), 1,434 guests, and 788 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,082
Posts18,501,656
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.