Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Interested in impressions from those who own or have shot the full-size or new compact version.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
GB1

K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Wow, have I officially stumped the 'Fire? Say it ain't so...

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Hunter (Fred Dryer) liked his... grin

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I always wanted one, just couldnt justify the coin to buy one.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Back in the late �80�s and early �90�s I worked on and off for a gun shop that carried them quite often. My boss had a thing for them so I got to shoot them from time to time. All of his worked and shot well, but they�re not what I�d consider self defense reliable.

I thought the guns were very well made. They are cast stainless throughout and it�s the older stainless (I don�t know what number) that is prone to galling, so you have to lubricate with white lithium grease. If you keep the slide rails lubed up, generally you don�t have any problems. The trigger is smooth rounded face and the trigger break on all the ones I shot were very good. My recollection was that the hammers were made of tool steel and electroless nickel�d to match; which is a good thing.

Loading magazines was a PIA. They come with a little �key� (like a Luger) to stick through the follower to help pull the follower down; without that you�ll never get more than about 5 rounds in the magazine. The little key was on a keychain with a little rubber Coonan gun. I wanna say it took a separate magazine and recoil spring to shoot .38 Special. I never fired .38 Special through a Coonan so I have no clue if it works, or how well it shoots.

The grip is pretty darned big, but not as big as you might think. I found it only slightly uncomfortable, but manageable; wasn�t really a problem for me but I have pretty large hands.

There was the original Coonan and then the model B. I don�t remember exactly what they corrected with the model B, but it was significant enough that they called it the model B. I�ve fired both and both worked and shot pretty much the same. Maybe the A version had the barrel link and the B version had a Hi Power type barrel cam�sorry, I don�t remember for sure.

I�ve shot the full size and the �compact� (can�t remember what they called the compact version), and both worked well and were rather accurate. Recoil was smooth and much lighter than a .357 revolver.

Overall manufacturing quality was excellent. I did note that it did have quite a few sharp edges. I recall the bottom of the slide was a bit sharp, if it were mine I�d take a needle file and break that edge at the very least.

It would never be the only handgun I owned, but they�re cool and fun; I wouldn�t mind having one.

IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
I'm not sure how different today's Coonan 1911s are from the old ones... I know the original company went out of business some time after some of the employees split off and formed Magnum Research. I think Coonan Inc. came back around 2010 with the "new" Coonan .357, and the Compact is their newest model.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (007FJ, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 61 invisible), 2,409 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,418
Posts18,470,528
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.