Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
I wonder if "they" will quarantine our UN Rep. Samantha Powers who is "over there" with an NBC news crew?

NO, she'll likely self quarantine and we all know how honest Washington bureaucrats are so don't sweat it.

Turn her loose in the Congress, Senate & White House.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Those that pander the fear mongering are only playing to an uneducated public.

The same kind that hordes .22 shells. frown

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
There is no actual physical distinction of aerosol versus airborne. It is on a physical continuum, and thus either transmission method can be defined as one wishes to further whatever philosophical agenda they might have.

Both sides of this debate are being very disingenuous in the discussion.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
There is no actual physical distinction of aerosol versus airborne. It is on a physical continuum, and thus either transmission method can be defined as one wishes to further whatever philosophical agenda they might have.

There is however a clear and concise difference and distinction in airborne an blood borne pathogens.

Ebola is a blood borne pathogen. Like HIV.

If an HIV homo spits in your mouth from 3 feet away and you get HIV, it doesn't make it airborne.

I can't believe we are having to define this over and over and over to people that are smart enough to even operate a computer. shocked

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GunGeek
There is no question, it's NOT airborne. People who are maintaining the discussion of whether Ebola is airborne don't understand what an airborne pathogen is.

Regardless...saliva, mucus, sweat, tears, vomit, urine, feces, breast milk, blood, and semen from an infected individual can all transmit the Ebola virus to another person if any of those infected fluids touch the person's eyes, nose, mouth, or non-intact skin (cut, sore, abrasion, etc.). And the Ebola virus is MUCH more concentrated in infected blood and body fluids than say the HIV virus is. It is definitely a virulent, scary pathogen that should not be taken lightly by anyone. Now healthcare workers across the country are being trained to sterilely get into and out of hazmat suits that are one piece with integral hood and booties, gloves before you put the suit on, another pair that are taped to the outside of the suit after you get into it, and then another pair on top of those when you're providing care to an infected patient, goggles, hairnets, and then a complete hood with a visual shield to which a respirator is attached and worn on a belt or on a backpack. Then you enter the hot zone. Then after you're through with patient care on the infected individual, you come out of the hot zone, you're then doused from head to toe with a bleach solution, and then come out of the protective gear...being careful not to touch (or be touched) by anything except the inside part of any of the protective gear.
Some think people are being overly concerned about this pathogen...some don't. Opinions vary.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

There is however a clear and concise difference and distinction in airborne an blood borne pathogens.

If an HIV homo spits in your mouth from 3 feet away and you get HIV, it doesn't make it airborne.

I can't believe we are having to define this over and over and over to people that are smart enough to even operate a computer. shocked

Maybe they are lying, but:

"Body fluids such as saliva, sweat and tears cannot transmit HIV."

http://www.hpb.gov.sg/HOPPortal/health-article/6260

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Being propelled by body fluids isn't quite the same as being an airborne pathogen.

Ebola is a blood borne pathogen.

You can get it from the air only if some that has it projectile vomits, shats, or spits in your mouth, or something. sick

I guess that explains how the health care professionals are getting infected...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I guess that explains how the health care professionals are getting infected..

They were all in direct contact with infected people
The two TX nurses both handled blood and urine, and obviously didn't follow the correct protective procedures

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Personally, I wouldn't want to be in close proximity to either one...I would never knowingly handle or touch ANYTHING that either patient had. It's been said that mosquitos can't transmit HIV, but would you feel comfortable sharing a tent with a few hungry bugs & somebody with HIV???

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

I think something like "blood-droplet-borne" would be a more accurate description. However, ebola seems to be able to live much longer in minute blood droplets than most other viruses, especially HIV.

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner

Personally, I wouldn't want to be in close proximity to either one...I would never knowingly handle or touch ANYTHING that either patient had. It's been said that mosquitos can't transmit HIV, but would you feel comfortable sharing a tent with a few hungry bugs & somebody with HIV???

Yes, because it doesn't transmit that way.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Studies have shown that HIV is not a very robust bug and people who contract HIV are either bombarded through something like a blood transfusion, or constantly exposed time and time again through needles or unprotected sex. HIV is not something that is contracted casually.

I had a partner start an IV on an HIV patient, then turn around and jab that needle into my hand (he was an idiot). Freaked me out, but everything was just fine. That was over 20 years ago.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Still confused about the identity of the enemy?

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Snyper
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
This is what they were not willing to admit to......................bastards that they are!

http://nypost.com/2014/10/29/cdc-admits-droplets-from-a-sneeze-could-spread-ebola/

That's not news
It's just spray, and it's been known forever

Don't confuse that with "airborne"

This IS news, what are you talking about? This method of transmission was talked about previously but always tamped down. We were told for weeks it was only spread by direct contact with bodily fluids. Now aerosols which contain body fluids. The fact it they don't know for sure an are playing politics and social correctness.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by GunGeek

I had a partner start an IV on an HIV patient, then turn around and jab that needle into my hand (he was an idiot). Freaked me out, but everything was just fine. That was over 20 years ago.

How does one START an IV then jab you with the needle?
FWIW, I'd have went neanderthal on his ass if true...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This IS news, what are you talking about? This method of transmission was talked about previously but always tamped down. We were told for weeks it was only spread by direct contact with bodily fluids.

Now aerosols which contain body fluids. The fact it they don't know for sure an are playing politics and social correctness.

No one played anything down, and don't confuse YOUR not knowing about it before with it somehow being "news"

It's STILL only spread by "direct contact with bodily fluids".

Nothing is new and nothing has changed

It is NOT an "airborne disease"

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Snyper
[quote]

It's good to see your certainty. The scientific articles I've read seem to always be couched in terms like "no evidence" and "very unlikely" regarding potential airborne status.

Retired cat herder.

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by g5m
[quote=Snyper]

It's good to see your certainty. The scientific articles I've read seem to always be couched in terms like "no evidence" and "very unlikely" regarding potential airborne status.

It appears people here are commenting WITHOUT reading the article. Typical low information consumers. The simple fact is the CDC changed the method of transfer to include aerosol particulates via a sneeze. This previously was denied by the CDC as witness the infamous bus analogy.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If the infectious dose (i.e., number of virions/virus particles required for an infection) for ebola was high, the question of whether the ebola virus could travel through the air would be moot. However, the information currently available points to a low infectious dose for ebola (i.e., very few virions are required to cause an infection). Here is what the Public Health Agency of Canada states on their PATHOGEN SAFETY DATA SHEET - INFECTIOUS SUBSTANCES for Ebola virus:

quote:--------------------
INFECTIOUS DOSE: Viral hemorrhagic fevers have an infectious dose of 1 - 10 organisms by aerosol in non-human primates
--------------------------

Canada's Public Health Agency's Ebola Safety Data Sheet webpage

It is quite possible that the listed infectious dose was extrapolated from other similar viruses, but if that's the best data we have, we have to go with that data until we have more/better data.

Thus, the concern about transmission through the air, even if a bodily fluid is required for transmission.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 160user, 1234, 222Sako, 69 invisible), 2,301 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,790
Posts18,496,076
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.