Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
E
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
All,

For years I have carried extra ammo in a sling with pouches that can hold 3 rounds each. With 3 in the gun, 1 in my pocket and 9 more in my sling, I always had plenty. Now the velcro has worn to the point I don't trust it to keep rounds from falling out so now I need a new system. I've considered a sleeve with loops on the buttstock, a wallet style folding pouch on my belt and another sling with loops. Not sure what I like best. How do you guys carry your extra ammo while in the woods?

Elk Country

"I refuse to waste my common sense on those who have been educated beyond their intelligence"

All you need to know about Democrats is they call American citizens "Deplorables" and illegal immigrants "Dreamers"!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Montana Slings cartridge carrier for me - in my pack or coat pocket.

With three in the gun (at least) and one in my pants pocket, if I can't get it done with those 4 or 5, I'm probably not getting it done period.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One round each in my front pants pockets.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
I carry two 5-round Federal plastic cartridge carriers in my pack (usually in a zip-loc baggie). I've yet to fire more than 3 rounds at once though, so accessibility hasn't been an issue

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've always carried 4 in the rifle, one in my pocket and 10 in a folding leather ammo wallet in my pack. My wallet is an old, old one made by Hunter leather in Boise, Idaho. My wife uses a 10 round version made by Allen that is camo nylon. Both of them have elastic loops to keep the rounds separated and quiet.

Found this at Academy.

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/allen-company-rifle-cartridge-carrier/pid-99183?N=29812268

Last edited by 280fan; 11/04/14.
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by UtahLefty
I carry two 5-round Federal plastic cartridge carriers in my pack (usually in a zip-loc baggie). I've yet to fire more than 3 rounds at once though, so accessibility hasn't been an issue

Same here!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I generally use an Uncle Mikes folding nylon belt pouch. It's generally in the front pocket of my backpack with a spare 6-8 rounds. My single shot Whelen and my 7mm-08 carbine wear neoprene buttstock sleeves instead with an extra 6 rounds.

Now with even more aplomb
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Whatever is in the gun.

That plus an MTM of some kind, generally 20 rounder, maybe maybe not full...goes in the pack.

Never had a need to fire more than whats in the gun. But will carry the extra always due to follow up wounded deer possibilities at some point, sometimes those can burn up ammo taking any shot that presents regardless of percentage of hit chances.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I like the folders. Frequently don't use a pack and they fit on the belt real well.
On a rifle that is a bit muzzle heavy, I use a buttstock sleeve and it works okay but if I didn't need to balance the rifle I probably wouldn't. I never fill it.

Ammo on the sling and a giant oversize scope just screams Texas.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
With my bolt action rifles, I'd just load the rifle and call it good, or maybe put a few more cartridges in my backpack.

When I started hunting with a Ruger Number One, I started carrying five or six extra cartridges in a plastic cartridge holder (from a factory ammo pack) in the left breast pocket of my hunting shirt. Made for a secure way to carry it, and fast to reload the single shot rifle.

When I want to look all "safari" while hunting with the Number One, I've got a leather cartridge carrier that slips onto my belt. Looks a little goofy though and doesn't offer much protection for the cartridges. A buddy gave it to me.

Guy

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by rost495
Whatever is in the gun.

That plus an MTM of some kind, generally 20 rounder, maybe maybe not full...goes in the pack.

Never had a need to fire more than whats in the gun. But will carry the extra always due to follow up wounded deer possibilities at some point, sometimes those can burn up ammo taking any shot that presents regardless of percentage of hit chances.

For the longest time I was so doggone proud of making a string of one-shot, instant kills that I got my nose pretty high up in the air and would only take what was in the rifle magazine. Even considered just taking one round. Yeah, that high up in the air...

Reality hit one day when I made a bad shot on a deer. Slapped that bullet right into the guts I did. Dang. Deer finally stopped running about 60 yards farther out, and I put another into it, into the lungs. Danged thing fell but didn't die. I ended up shooting it twice more just to finish things. Rifle empty at that point, I learned a lesson. Nose isn't so far up in the air anymore. It was a humbling experience after all those one-shot instant kills. Now I take some extra cartridges in case I mess up and create another goat rope.

And of course I keep working on my marksmanship, which is indeed still pretty good. Yeah, still impressed with my own shooting, but humble enough to know I'm not perfect!

Guy

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I usually have one of the elastic ammo carriers on the stock of my rifle.. Mostly I have about 10 rounds counting the magazine..

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I've been carrying one of the Uncle Mikes 10 round holder on my belt for years, I'm on my third one. It is hardly noticeable to me, except if its not there. I have never needed that many rounds for a big game animal, but they are there if need be. It has come in particularly handy a few times when I took to filling my grouse limit with my hunting rifle and head shots.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Long time ago I found some sheaths for folding knives on clearance at Walmart. $1.00 each if I remember correctly. They were light duty and kinda small but hold 3 cartridges just fine. They are the correct length for 06 based rounds and a small piece of Styrofoam on 08 based rounds took care of those. One or two on my belt along with my gps and sheath knife and I am good to go. miles

Last edited by milespatton; 11/04/14.

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
I usually have one of the elastic ammo carriers on the stock of my rifle.. Mostly I have about 10 rounds counting the magazine..

^^^This^^^

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I don't use a pack but put one rnd. in each of my pants pockets, and 1 in each of the 3 pockets of my vest and the rifle full up ( from 1 to 5), no rattles.-Muddy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got 4 rounds in the rifle & 4 rounds on the sling---Butler Creek brand I think.

J
JSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I use one of the 10 round plastic belt holders leftover from a former box of factory ammo (Federal?).

E
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Thanks for all of the replies guys! I like reading all of the different options for carrying extra ammo. I have an extra nylon knife sheath that I can out three rounds in. I always have one of the 10 round federal plastic carriers in my pack but if I need to reload quickly that isn't real handy. I can probably live with an extra three on my belt.

Keep the ideas coming. I'm still very undecided.

Elk Country

"I refuse to waste my common sense on those who have been educated beyond their intelligence"

All you need to know about Democrats is they call American citizens "Deplorables" and illegal immigrants "Dreamers"!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I would not personally want the ammo in my pockets or without protection.

I'm not sure that it matters that much, but I just don't want it any more dirty than I can avoid, and a lot of mentioned methods don't protect it that much in reality.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
in the pocket of my orange, well until this year, bought a bird hunters vest for my orange and it has some zip up pockets, load it up at the start of the season, empty at the end....unfortunately it got lost in the shuffle after the divorce and im not sure where it is so just carried them in my pants pocket last week.....havent needed more than in the mag for a deer so far but have to take into account opportunity shots at 'yotes aswell which leads to needing to top off grin

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
MTM Ammo Wallet.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
4 down in the magazine, 9 in a buttstock elastic carrier, and a full MTM in the truck. That's what starts the season, and it never comes in until the season's over.

So 13 rounds go with me in the field each day.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
When did shirt pockets go out of vogue?......

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Put it on my belt and go.

[Linked Image]

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by SKane
Montana Slings cartridge carrier for me

+1. I carry mine on my belt, also made by Montana Slings. They make great stuff.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Depending on caliber MTM ammo wallet, leather belt slide, or a couple of pre-filled magazines, all of which are carried in my backpack. I keep a couple of loose rounds in my pants pockets in case I get separated from my pack.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495
I would not personally want the ammo in my pockets or without protection.

I'm not sure that it matters that much, but I just don't want it any more dirty than I can avoid, and a lot of mentioned methods don't protect it that much in reality.

Huh?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

1 in the rifle. That's all I need wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rattler
in the pocket of my orange, well until this year, bought a bird hunters vest for my orange and it has some zip up pockets, load it up at the start of the season, empty at the end....unfortunately it got lost in the shuffle after the divorce and im not sure where it is so just carried them in my pants pocket last week.....havent needed more than in the mag for a deer so far but have to take into account opportunity shots at 'yotes aswell which leads to needing to top off grin

My orange holds 6 rounds and protects them very well with a flap/pocket (I carry my compass in that pocket) that goes over and velcroes down. Full rifle usually holds 4-6 rounds, sometimes I'll carry an extra round in 1 of my shirt pockets.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I use the carrier that fits over the stock with a velcro flap.
Holds 6, add 3 in the magazine and a couple spares in a pocket.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

1 in the rifle. That's all I need wink

I thought the question wuz about EXTRA ammo, not how many loaded?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When going hunting I put two rounds for the primary gun in the shirt pocket I wear when getting into the vehicle. Of course when setting out in the woods I put more in my pockets.

Two rounds in a pocket will not rattle. Three or more will.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I use these -

[Linked Image]

They're made to hold 20 rounds. I have cut several in half to hold 10 rounds.

Bob

I met a French guy the other day. I asked him "Do you speak German?" He said "No." I said "You're welcome!"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't like anything more on my belt than I already have- sidearm and knife, plus with binoculars on a harness on my chest, my rifle bumps against things if I don't plan my wardrobe assembly right. So, I use this, it keeps the cartridges with the rifle w/o changing the balance of the rifle, and the rifles stock never bangs into the brass cartridges like it would if they were on my belt. Plus the slings are stretchy and not slippery so stay on your shoulder well.

[Linked Image]

LOL
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I'm a Diabetic so I carry a back-pack with snacks and water. It's easy to carry extra ammo in one of the pockets. I load the rifle with 4 and carry an extra 4 in the pack so I'm not adding too much extra weight.

Ken

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I use either a butt cuff on the gun to carry extra rounds or a plastic ammo wallet that I keep in my pack or pocket.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For a while, Remington and Federal rifle ammo was packaged in 2 10 round plastic strips that were stacked together to fit into a cardboard box. I use one of those 10 round strips, but cut down to hold 5 rounds and with all the sharp edges and squared corners trimmed and rounded off so that it rides easily in the lower front pocket of my game vest.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I usually carry one round in each of my buttoned shirt pockets when using a bolt gun that holds 4 or so. I also carry extras in my pack because stuff happens.

I picked up a nice Browning parka a few years back that has ammo carriers sewn into two front pockets; one for shotshells and one for rifle ammo. you can flip them out so they hang outside the pocket if you think you're gonna have to make a "stand".

What fresh Hell is this?
S
S
Have 1 in my Ruger #1, 1 between 2nd and 3rd fingers of left hand, and a few in my shirt pocket.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
4 in the rifle, one in my pocket and 10 in a ammo wallet in my pack.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Or when bobcape is along I just make him carry my extra ammo, spotting scope, lunch, folding chair...... grin

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
One in the no1, 3 or 4 in shirt pocket, and 2 between fingers of left hand, box in pocket of 4 wheeler.

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
3 in the rifle, 9 in a ten round boyt cartridge wallet that I have cut in half (thereby losing 1 round) so they will fit back to back in the side pocket of the filson pack I carry. So 12 rounds total

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by bruinruin
For a while, Remington and Federal rifle ammo was packaged in 2 10 round plastic strips that were stacked together to fit into a cardboard box.

I've got a couple of the Federals that I've probably been using for 20 years. Either put it on my belt or drop in a coat pocket. I carry 4 cartridges of the 10 in the gun and the other 6 as spares.

My heavyweight orange coat has some shell loops sewn on the outside with a flap, I'll use that if I'm wearing the coat.

Dale

This space for rent

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
For years I was in the habit of loading 3 in the gun and carrying 3 extra in a pocket. That is until the day I came across a herd of at least 40 hogs.

Not a great feeling having to use your last bullet to finish off a big hog.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
If using my single shot, 1 in the chamber & 1 extra. If using my bolt gun, 1 down & 1 up.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

^^^This^^^

Yep

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tx270
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

^^^This^^^

Yep

Lost too many rounds traipsing around here for that or a stock pouch......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by milespatton
Long time ago I found some sheaths for folding knives on clearance at Walmart. $1.00 each if I remember correctly. They were light duty and kinda small but hold 3 cartridges just fine. They are the correct length for 06 based rounds and a small piece of Styrofoam on 08 based rounds took care of those. One or two on my belt along with my gps and sheath knife and I am good to go. miles

Good idea! I've got a few such knife sheaths around and will see how various rifle ammo fits.

Like others, I've used old stripper clips with 4 rounds in one or cut down the Federal plastic holders to take four, and put that in left shirt pocket.

I have a single finisher round in my right front pants pocket with nothing else in that pocket.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
3 in the rifle, four more in the day pack or pocket. Always 7...its a superstitious thing.

When i hunted DG it was three in the rifle ( thats all my .375 held..) 6 softs in a open belt carrier, and six solids in another one above my back pocket.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I carry one in the sling that I replenish the rifle with on chambering a round. Then usually around 4 in a an elastic stock carrier. I don't like them packed in the carrier as they are harder to fish out--at least one empty between loaded loops for me.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Can you get lead poising in the right nut??? HOO

P
PWN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Four in the gun and either 9 in an ancient Uncle Mikes nylon belt pouch or 8 in a very old leather pouch that holds the cartridges in a red Federal plastic ammo carrier.

Perry

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Whatever the rifle will hold plus 10 in an Uncle Mike folding belt wallet thingy.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I put 3 in the rifle belly.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I start with 10 rounds in an ammo wallet. Put 3 or 4 in the belly and the remaining 6 or 7 in the wallet go in my pack. General plan is to return with 9 rounds....

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Home hunts, what is in the belly.

Away hunts, a few extras in my pocket.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Four in the magazine, two "thinking" rounds in my pack...as in think about how badly I've screwed up to need those last two and correct it.

Dave

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Backpack has pockets on hip belt. I take a couple rounds and wrap them in electrical tape so they don't rattle

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by eh76
Or when bobcape is along I just make him carry my extra ammo, spotting scope, lunch, folding chair...... grin

Yep. I do what I have to so's I get invited back next year!

Originally Posted by eh76

Lost too many rounds traipsing around here for that or a stock pouch......

Can't believe it. I give the guy a stock pack and he complains about loosing a round or two. grin

Bob

I met a French guy the other day. I asked him "Do you speak German?" He said "No." I said "You're welcome!"
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I used to carry them in my jacket pocket. Too may times , when it warmed up I left the jacket and ammo behind. I now kinda like the little stock pack.with loops inside. Also caries a bore snake and lense cloth..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Now days I carry ammo in a folding synthetic cartridge carrier that slips easily into a pocket. If there is a photo op involved I bring out the leather cartridge carrier to enhance the image of a big game hunter. laugh

[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Well, the majority of my rifles[except for my 45-70 GG] are single shots, and I use a butt cuff on the stock, or as ole ingwe calls it, a "bubba buddy".....grin

[Linked Image]

squirrels with my H&R Sportster.

[Linked Image]

deer with my CVA Scout 44 mag.

[Linked Image]

hogs with my guide gun

[Linked Image]

big stuff with my Ruger no. 1 375 H&H mag.

maddog

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I hope you own stock in Bubba Buddy....so to speak.....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by ironbender
I put 3 in the rifle belly.

You obviously don't hunt where gun shots can be considered dinner bells.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by ingwe
I hope you own stock in Bubba Buddy....so to speak.....

wood or plastic.... whistle grin

maddog

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by laker
Backpack has pockets on hip belt. I take a couple rounds and wrap them in electrical tape so they don't rattle

Try it. You'll like it.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by roundoak
Now days I carry ammo in a folding synthetic cartridge carrier that slips easily into a pocket. If there is a photo op involved I bring out the leather cartridge carrier to enhance the image of a big game hunter. laugh

[Linked Image]

Got a couple of those Lawrence leather cartridge boxes,used them for many years. Allways took my ammo out of them at the end of the season and put it back in the 50 rd plastic case with the rest of the lot and load data tag. Forgot some 243 loads one year, by next antelope season they all turned green with verdigris(sic)? Nope I don't use them anymore. just stick the shells in a Federal 10 rd holder out of their factory boxes and stick it in my pocket, noiseless and handy. Magnum Man

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have a few of those MTM ammo wallets that hold less than a dozen rounds. The 30-06 one holds 9.

[Linked Image]

I then carry that in my vest pocket. They're thin, flat, waterproof and don't turn the ammo green. Before this I used to put ammo on my stock or sling, but I'd always finish out the season with one or two rounds unaccounted for. These MTM wallets fixed that.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bubba Buddy for the win........

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I finally picked up a Bubba Buddy a couple years ago. Pretty slick. I do have to pay attention to the rounds in it, but it is never full. 7 or 8, tops. 5 in the rifle. A 20 rd plastic case somewhere, either in the truck or in my pack. You guys that carry only what's in your gun have never been to a rodeo, apparently, or hunted more than one species at a time. Or hunted where there can be and are big predators.

Ammo is like money or sex. You have to have a whole hell of a lot of it to have too much.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Depending on what rifle I'm using, my 30-06 I will have 3 in the belly and an extra 8 in a carrier located in my pack.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Usually four in the rifle, and then four held together with an elastic hair tie in my front pocket.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TexasPhotog
Montana Slings cartridge carrier for me

+1. I carry mine on my belt, also made by Montana Slings. They make great stuff.

Same here. Pat has some great stuff!

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Montana Slings cartridge carrier for me - in my pack or coat pocket.

With three in the gun (at least) and one in my pants pocket, if I can't get it done with those 4 or 5, I'm probably not getting it done period.

This.

I do a sleeve with loops on the buttstock sometimes.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Okanagan
Originally Posted by milespatton

Good idea! I've got a few such knife sheaths around and will see how various rifle ammo fits.

I have a single finisher round in my right front pants pocket with nothing else in that pocket.

Just back from a few days hunt where I carried four extra rounds in a nylon knife sheath. Very good!

FWIW, we were hunting where we sort out white tails from between grizzlies, black bears and cougars -- and I prefer three rounds in the rifle. That is partly because it feeds smoother on the first round with less spring pressure than when I put in a max of four that the magazine holds.

Last edited by Okanagan; 11/19/14. Reason: clarity
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Normally I have two rifles and a 10-round ammo wallet for each. When I leave the truck I grab a rifle and the appropriate wallet.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got a couple of the leather cartridge holders my wife got for me so I pretty much have to use them.

One has .250 ammo in it and the other has .300 Savage. They get carried in the pack depending on the rifle carried that day.

If I'm using the Marlin .41 magnum I don't carry extras besides whats in the rifle, It holds plenty.

E
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Lots of great ideas here guys! I'm going g to check out the montana slings carriers. I was really hoping to hear from JB to see how a "professional" hunter carries his extra ammo.

Elk Country

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I seem to be the odd man out, I usually carry 12 rounds between my gun and pockets, since it's never taken me more than 11 rounds to kill a big game animal. grin Then I put 20 in the pack, I'd rather not be left short if I have to check zero or miss a few coyotes, etc

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I like the Triad Stock Pack. Here, I keep the 4 rounds I have available to drop down in the mag as I pull the rifle out of the truck. I don't carry the ammo like this while hunting since I've had rounds work their way out while the rifle is slung over my shoulder.

[Linked Image]

My back up rounds are carried down in the zippered pouch, inserted into a plastic ammo carried obtained in factory ammo boxes.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Alan

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

Handy.

Black Cows Matter!
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
[Linked Image]

Last edited by ringworm; 11/22/14.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's easy, I load the magazine with whatever it holds, put 5 rounds in my right pants pocket, and leave the left pocket empty for fired brass! I've been doing it that way since 1958! To do it any other way now, would be too confusing! smile
If I can't hit anything with 8 or nine shots, I don't deserve to be hunting!!! I usually have more rounds in my vehicle if the need arises! My youngest son carries his extra rounds in one of those elastic buttstock shell-holders and seems to like the arrangement!

Ken

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I used to carry 7 rounds in various pockets but used 5 rounds on 2 different elk to keep them from crossing a property line so now I load one in each pant or shirt pocket and wrap 5 or 6 in toilet paper so they won't make noise and carry that in the right front pants pocket in addition to what might me in the truck or pack. That does serve 2 purposes but I might jingle more on the way out of the woods than on the way in.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I prefer the soft sided 10 round padded rifle cartridge holders, it is normally half full. The 5 plus whats in the gun is all I have needed the past 48 seasons and if I want to unload I have room for the 4 that's in the gun.

Ted
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
6 on a belt pouch and one or two in my pocket.
Drop one into the breach of the Ruger and that is generally the only one needed.
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

I need lots of bullets.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
[Linked Image]

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It seems that I'm the only guy that does not carry extra ammo.

I load up what the gun will hold and leave the rest in the truck.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by HugAJackass
It seems that I'm the only guy that does not carry extra ammo.

I load up what the gun will hold and leave the rest in the truck.

For some of us, it's a long ways back to the truck, grin even on a day hunt. Photo below was taken only a mile from the truck hunting my way up through sub-alpine into the open alpine.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If using my single shots, in a pocket. If it's a bolt action in the magazine.

Last edited by 1minute; 11/29/14.

1Minute
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Make the first shot count, therefore there is no need for carrying extra ammo.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You won't find Bubba's on any of my shootin irons.. cry grin

[Linked Image]

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use a butt stock carrier, and have one that goes on my belt with another half dozen on hand.

[Linked Image]

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I use the buttstock carriers on all my rifles but rarely have more than about 3 rounds in them(utilize these carriers as much for protecting the buttstocks on my rifles from scuffs and scrapes as for carrying ammo). Also, buttstock carriers deaden any sounds from brush etc. hitting or rubbing against a fiberglass stock in the field. So, 3-4 in the rifle magazine and another 2-3 on the buttstock sling.

Leftybolt

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Elkcountry: My chosen Antelope Rifle for this year holds 5 rounds of ammo, my chosen Deer Rifle for this year holds 5 rounds of ammo and my chosen Elk Rifle for this year holds 4 rounds of ammo - knock on wood, I have not needed to "reload" a Rifle in the field in way more than two decades now!
Having said that I still have extra rounds ready in my right front pocket AND on my belt in a velcro ammo holder.
In my old age I have become so patient and aware of the need to make ONE good shot to begin with when trying to harvest Big Game - I don't ever envision again needing to reload a Rifle quickly to shoot "some more" at wounded or missed game.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I have a sling with bullet loops and one of the nylon band with bullet loops on the stock. That is on my Ruger m77 338wm. Must admit I have never needed all that ammo lol. tom

"if it's got tits or tires, it's going to give you grief, one way or another."
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Have you ever went out with a healthy gal,It's aim not ammo that will gat you back in the door I kid you not.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I use one of these on all my rifles. Carry extra ammo,pull through bore cleaner etc.That way when I pickup rifle I have every thing right there.
I also cut and put foam under this to raise cheekpiece to EXACTLY where I want it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Allen-C..._DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a9c4da210

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by bigswede358
I've been carrying one of the Uncle Mikes 10 round holder on my belt for years, I'm on my third one. It is hardly noticeable to me, except if its not there. I have never needed that many rounds for a big game animal, but they are there if need be. It has come in particularly handy a few times when I took to filling my grouse limit with my hunting rifle and head shots.

This.
Been using them for 30 years, on my third one also.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by leftybolt
I use the buttstock carriers on all my rifles but rarely have more than about 3 rounds in them(utilize these carriers as much for protecting the buttstocks on my rifles from scuffs and scrapes as for carrying ammo). Also, buttstock carriers deaden any sounds from brush etc. hitting or rubbing against a fiberglass stock in the field. So, 3-4 in the rifle magazine and another 2-3 on the buttstock sling.

Leftybolt

Leftybolt;
Good evening sir, hopefully this finds you well.

I'm in the same camp as you it seems, though I'll typically have at least 5-10 rounds in a plastic carrier in my daypack as well.

In this photo I've unloaded the rifle already and put the rounds from the magazine - including the fired case - back into the butt sock.

[Linked Image]

We've found the butt sock carriers to be especially handy when camping as it keeps the ammunition and firearm in a common area which can be handy if one needs it in a pinch to deal with a recalcitrant bruin.

All the best to you this Christmas season sir.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

I sewed up one like the ten rounder on the right. Five rounds for the rifle and five to spare in an exterior coat pocket.

We stop for lunch so rest of the plastic box of 50 (reloads) are in the shooting bag in the truck with other gee-gaws. I don't like carrying more than I need. We hunt near civilization so five in the rifle go back into the holder and are hidden in a pocket if we stop in town or visit or something.

Tried a bunch of alternatives but this suits me best for our style of hunting.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by firearms44
I'm a Diabetic so I carry a back-pack with snacks and water. It's easy to carry extra ammo in one of the pockets. I load the rifle with 4 and carry an extra 4 in the pack so I'm not adding too much extra weight.

Ken

Use same method for same reasons. I also carry a couple spares in my jacket pocket.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Four in the gun....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by troutfly
Originally Posted by firearms44

Ken

Use same method for same reasons. I also carry a couple spares in my jacket pocket.
Same reasons here. I always used to carry a full box of ammo. I've never fired more than three shots in a day, so I'm down to one in the chamber (Yes-I carry hot!)three in the mag. and about 3 more rounds of ammo. That's it. Just don't see the need to haul around the dead weight. I sure do get a kick out of the guys running big banana clips on their Remington Jam-a-matics though.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by elkcountry
All,

For years I have carried extra ammo in a sling with pouches that can hold 3 rounds each. With 3 in the gun, 1 in my pocket and 9 more in my sling, I always had plenty. Now the velcro has worn to the point I don't trust it to keep rounds from falling out so now I need a new system. I've considered a sleeve with loops on the buttstock, a wallet style folding pouch on my belt and another sling with loops. Not sure what I like best. How do you guys carry your extra ammo while in the woods?

Elk Country

I use the Uncle Mikes butt stock carriers with the flap on my rifles.The flap prevents cartridge loss, getting poked by plastic tipped bullets, etc.

I usually only put three rounds in them and hang a spare scope cover on the flap. So, 3-5 in the rifle magazine and another 3 in the stock carrier. Finally five more in a pocket or sleeve on my pack.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
With a T3 I carry an extra loaded mag in a secure jacket or vest pocket. Additional rounds are in an old leather belt pouch with a kind of mechanical snap closure. It was old when I got it from a friend 30 years ago. It just doesn't feel like hintin season unless I have it on.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
What do you use extras for? My definition their not need grin

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don’t care who gets credit.” R. Reagan
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It is fun to occasionally empty the magazine at running coyotes. In some areas we hunt we may run into pigs, also.

Even if these things seldom happen, it is nice to have enough ammo to entertain the possibility.

In case of an emergency it would be nice to have enough ammo to signal for help, and possibly repeat, if necessary.

I had a great uncle who made a big show of leaving hunting camp each morning in the Adirondacks in the 1940's with just one round of ammo. And he did have successful, one-shot kills several years in a row.

Then one year he shot at the biggest buck he had ever attempted a shot at. He wounded it and had plenty of time for a follow-up shot, but he had none with him. The buck ran off and he never found it. He felt real bad about the experience. That deflated his ego and cured him.

From then on he carried a few more rounds with him when he left camp. I still have his octogon-barrel Savage 99 in 30-30 Winchester that was made in 1913, and it is still a good shooter.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
twice this year I was short on rounds when only loading the gun. One was just ugly shooting in a new gun. The other was when I had 3 rounds in the 7mm-08 and could have filled all 6 of my initial tags if I didn't run out of ammo. It always happens so I try and plan for it. Happened archery hunting last year. Had a doe come within 5 yards after I used my lats arrow and hang out with me already climbed down and sitting in my stand on the base of the tree. She wanted to hold an arrow real bad smile The archery store ordered me the wrong replacement blades and I don't like to run the same blade twice. Maybe the 3 rounds are ok. My back can't really handle dragging more than that anyway.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
As to the need for extra cartridges on a hunt, there is no doubt in my mind that to do otherwise is an invitation to missed opportunities.

Where I hunt in Texas we have multiple tags and often the opportunity to take multiple deer in a single day. I have (more than once) killed three or more deer on mornings hunt. When you throw in the fact that we are also over-run with hogs and coyotes are very common.....it's quite likely that you could run short of ammo, if just the magazine was filled, on any given day.

Back in my early days of hunting I used to carry 4-5 loose rounds in my coat pocket (still do occasionally). Later it was common (at least in my family) to cut down 20-round ammo boxes so that they held 6-8 rounds. We would fold over the cut box and tape it up to create a handy pocket-size box/carrier. The advantage of this was that the ammo type was printed on the box flap avoiding possible confusion (very important when you carry more than one rifle on a day's hunt).

I later went to a leather folding wallet style 10 round carrier that could be carried on your belt (but was most often just dropped in a coat pocket). Extra ammo is, to me, almost a requirement when hunting.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 12344mag, 16gage, 10Glocks, 54 invisible), 2,714 guests, and 1,354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,459
Posts18,471,217
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.