E
Lousy Indian?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Tanner, you have to remember...I only shoot half a box a year. Practicing for my first deer hunt.

PS...to the others not named BSA1917douche: the barrel company couldn't get this gun to shoot either. They replaced the barrel and provided all the gunsmithing free of charge.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
So still a mystery. That sucks. Crazy.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
No mystery, bad barrel. Gun is now a hammer.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That's a much better outcome. I read your post to mean that after replacing the barrel, the barrel Co. couldn't get it to shoot.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Sorry for the confusion. They had me ship them the complete rifle. Their staff all took turns shooting it, even put it into a chassis with no luck. They swapped the barrel and voila. That is all I know. They were very helpful in the process.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by erickg
75 HPBT at 200 yards

[Linked Image]

65 Gameking showed great promise the other day, need to see if it can repeat it now. Not ready to quit on this one yet, had another .223 that got tripped though, every trick ever suggested has been done to both.

Have a straight out of the box .308 that is sub MOA with a half dozen loads.

Just getting tired of laying down $1200 to play roulette with a rifle. They all need a little tweaking the Kimbers seem to have become a full time job for me, they're not fun anymore, I want to shoot not tweak.........

Try something on your Kimber - make sure a doubled up dollar bill will easily float down the barrel channel. My 257 was giving me fits. After the obligatory mag box, bedding, etc tweaks, it was still shooting 2-3" groups. I surmised the barrel was still hitting the channel during recoil. The barrel channel was free floated but not as much as it should have been. I took a bit more from the channel. The other thing I did was put a towel under the gun on the front sand bag. Presto 1" groups at 100 yards with Nosler Partitions - and a 0.100" jump to L&G (mag box confines).

Or sell all your Kimber MT to me for $500........... <G>

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had one go wonky on me. I had done all the work and had shot it into the .2's.....but just haaaad to index the barrel another. 001" to sleep well.

I did so and the rifle shot poorly. I chased down everything possible right down to the chamber runout. I put it back together and the rifle tipped over and made a funny noise. I whacked it with a rawhide mallet and I found that one of my Warne rings was cracked. I couldn't see it but I could hear it. When I tore the scope down it was obvious.

Now I smack them all with a rawhide and listen.

Glad you found your culprit and it was cheap.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
It wasn't cheap!

Got gun back, didn't shoot. I called gunsmith and was told since I didn't bed it, I didn't qualify for the fictitious 1/2 MOA Guarantee.

I shipped gun back on my dime and wasted money on bedding thinking I would now get the guarantee. Didn't work, gun still didn't shoot. Gunsmith did not believe me.

I then had one of their team shooters try it. He could not get gun to shoot either. It was then shipped back to gunsmith who told me I would be getting a new barrel. 6 months later I called and asked the status. They said they were waiting on a new barrel. Finally got a call and they said the culprit was a crooked recoil lug and I wouldn't be getting a new barrel. Told me the gun was fixed and it now shot "one hole."

I received gun again, the barrel was now polished. I shipped gun back to get the original finish put back on.

Got gun back, still didn't shoot. Gunsmith claimed I did not know how to shoot, and the accuracy guarantee was not his problem. I asked him to buy the gun off me for a giant loss then. He declined and told me to send it to the barrel maker who would be able to shoot it because they were all experienced rifleman, unlike myself.

I shipped it to barrel maker. They boasted that surely they could make it shoot. After a couple weeks, they called back and said "gun doesn't shoot." My reply "I know, that is what I have been saying!"

They FINALLY re-barreled it, and now it shoots.

I lost almost two years, and an estimated $500 in bedding and shipping fees for a simple re-barrel!

Lesson learned...don't deal with rock-star gunsmiths who have fancy websites and run around in tactical gear playing army on the weekends.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
It wasn't cheap!

Got gun back, didn't shoot. I called gunsmith and was told since I didn't bed it, I didn't qualify for the fictitious 1/2 MOA Guarantee.

I shipped gun back on my dime and wasted money on bedding thinking I would now get the guarantee. Didn't work, gun still didn't shoot. Gunsmith did not believe me.

I then had one of their team shooters try it. He could not get gun to shoot either. It was then shipped back to gunsmith who told me I would be getting a new barrel. 6 months later I called and asked the status. They said they were waiting on a new barrel. Finally got a call and they said the culprit was a crooked recoil lug and I wouldn't be getting a new barrel. Told me the gun was fixed and it now shot "one hole."

I received gun again, the barrel was now polished. I shipped gun back to get the original finish put back on.

Got gun back, still didn't shoot. Gunsmith claimed I did not know how to shoot, and the accuracy guarantee was not his problem. I asked him to buy the gun off me for a giant loss then. He declined and told me to send it to the barrel maker who would be able to shoot it because they were all experienced rifleman, unlike myself.

I shipped it to barrel maker. They boasted that surely they could make it shoot. After a couple weeks, they called back and said "gun doesn't shoot." My reply "I know, that is what I have been saying!"

They FINALLY re-barreled it, and now it shoots.

I lost almost two years, and an estimated $500 in bedding and shipping fees for a simple re-barrel!

Lesson learned...don't deal with rock-star gunsmiths who have fancy websites and run around in tactical gear playing army on the weekends.

You're gun had the CLAP....................

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

LOL

Does said gunsmith have a website you can share? Would hate to see someone have to learn the same lesson.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by SShooterZ

LOL

Does said gunsmith have a website you can share? Would hate to see someone have to learn the same lesson.

Same question from me........?

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
After having been through the same as Dogcatcher223 more than my share of times, I decided never again. Since my quests were the ultimate commercial rifle in 280 Remington & 300 WSM I then found that you just can't get what you want when buying commercial. So, to the custom shop I went.

Got exactly what I wanted, have had zero problems working up loads, the gun is tolerant of nearly anything I run through it, both are highly accurate, weigh exactly what I want them to weigh, give repeatable, dependable results at the range & afield & are a pleasure to carry.

I now have what I need & want. And, I did not have to settle for anything less. If I knew at 20 years of age what I know now, I would have bit the bullet, had a custom built then and been done with it.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

NAME HIM please.
Obviously it wasn't his work that was bad. He was dealing with a bad part. The part manufacture stood behind their product, the installer did not.
Naming him/her is not a knock on the quality of work - just the integrity of the PERSON doing the work.

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
In fairness to the Rock Star Gunsmith, was not his only job initially to install the barrel on an action trued by someone else, a $290 job?

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

133 members (300_savage, 1973cb450, 338reddog, 204guy, 338rcm, 338Rules, 19 invisible), 1,770 guests, and 1,066 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,050
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.