-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe GS was simply concerned about overpenetration.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 300_savage
I actually enjoy Mr. Sengel's writing, but have found him to be VERY opinionated.

I enjoy his writing too. He seems to be a "farm boy" and handy with tools.

"VERY opinionated" sounds like Gil Sengel would fit right in on the Campfire.

Slim
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was surprised by the article as well. It really seemed like he had a bias against it from the outset. And from the article I got the impression that his bias came from "paper ballistics" and not real world usage of the .260 Remington.

Reading the article brought to mind the Bio for the late Al Miller. In it it was said that as a previous Editor of Handloader Al Miller had the philosophy of "Write about what you know." If you haven't experienced something personally, you don't write about it. It made me wonder if Gil had personal experience with the cartridge or if he had violated Al's good advice.

I'm pretty nonplussed about the article though. So he doesn't find merit in a .260 class cartridge. No skin of my nose. Everyone is welcome to their own opinion.

Even if it happens to be wrong. wink

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ldholton
Many , many writers are just that writers, not gun guys like Mule Deer.

This cannot be more true, sadly.

95% of today's "gunwriters" don't know their asses from a hole in the ground.....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
While I have never met or spoken to Gil Sengel I believe he is a "Gun Guy."
When you look at some of his feature articles there is little doubt Sengel has an appreciation of new and old guns and enjoys tinkering with them.
Sengel's Cartridge Board articles are well researched even if somwhat dismissive of all but the most popular cartridges.
I could write the same words about articles written by several gun writers - Ed Matunas comes to mind.
When it comes to unbiased writing about cartridges it will be a long time before we see another Robert Hutton or Ken Waters. Those two were certainly the "Gold Standard" of obejective curiosity. I gues we could include several others such as F.C. Ness, Ed Harris and William Davis.

Slim
IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Opinions are like navels. And controversial opinions sell magazines. One of my friends wrote an op-ed piece for the KC Star advocating an ordinance forbidding the erection of a church within 300 yds of a liquor store. His views were not ignored wink

Jack O'Conner said the .32-20 was useless, while George Nonte killed deer with it - in a revolver. And so it goes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In "The Rifle Book", Jack said the .25/20 and .32/20 " remained highly useful for wild turkeys", since they didn't tear up meat. He did comment that they were dying, as no rifles were being made for them.

Bear in mind that Jack was on the cutting edge gun-wise in his day, and appreciation for old stuff wasn't as fashionable as it is now. This was the period when Ken Waters was picking up all those marvelous old rifles for a song.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I read that article and simply thought the guy was a bit of an idiot on the .260 Rem. He's obviously never shot it at big game past 500 yds with a properly loaded .260 Rem and watched them drop, which tells me he didn't hit them. OTOH, I was shooting 130 gr. cast loads from the .260 Rem at around 1500 fps that probably would have been perfect for the sub-100 yd shots that the .260 is "too powerful" for.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by jwp475

Maybe senility is setting in

All people (including writers) have their own opinions from their own experiences and, GS certainly has his. Personally, my experiences have shown me the solid performance of the 260 Remington. We all know the 6.5X55mm Swede work well and the 260 Remington is just a shorter, higher pressure cartridge.

see: http://saami.org/specifications_and_information/specifications/Velocity_Pressure_CfR.pdf

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by rattler
so i was wrong packing my 260 last week for everything from deer to black bear to elk for everything from powder burn range in the timber to long range in the valley fields?
Yes. laugh

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
A bunch of years back, Boddington wrote about the 260 and its use in Africa (in a Model 7 I believe) and dang that article has had me wanting a 260 ever since... everything he took aim at died as if it were hit by a 270 or a 30-06... I recall one of the unfortunate beasts was a warthog... I guess they did not tell the critters to man-up against the lowly 260...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some might have an Ah Ha moment if they actually shot vitals with good bullets and stopped obsessing over ballistics and headstamps.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

214 members (2500HD, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 2UP, 17 invisible), 1,659 guests, and 1,006 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,800
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.