Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm a single pin sight kinda guy. Been using a single adjustable elevation sight for a long time, maybe 20 years. Even before they were common I was removing all the pins but one and setting it for 20 yards just using holdover to 30.

When the first single pin adjustable's came on the market I was thrilled with the manufactures finally recognizing this need. Over the years I have used a few different kinds. One of my favorites in the normally priced category was ( is) the Montana Black gold. This one really does it all good. I especially like the design of the sight pin Light. You cannot even see it and nobody would be able to find it if you did not point it out! It is entirely inside the frame without any chance of getting bumped or broken off.

The best I have used has been the Trijicon, No sight light needed as this is a Nuke light pin. It's bright 24-7 for 20 plus years no electricity or batteries. The distance wheel is engraved in Aluminum so no tape to get wet and fall of or smear. The mechanics allow a set up at 20 yards and 40 yards and then everything else is in sync in one yard increments to 80 yards. It's flawless in function, and so meticulously machined that it's a work of art. However it's certainly not in the affordable category. If I did not have an industry inside capability to purchase this at a "Special" price I rather doubt I would have bought one.

The pin is bright enough to see in total dark, it does not get too bright in the last moments of twilight. It is also not bright enough at all to hunt with a spot light at night for predators, carp, or hogs. It still needs a sight pin light added. ( only when you use a spotlight)

Okay so my most recent experience is with the G5 XR-2
This was intriguing for me the moment I saw it. The single greatest issue with the single pin design is shooting with it set at a distance different then you thought it was set at. This has never bitten me when used on game because I am so paranoid constantly checking this. However it has done me in on my 3D target range a few times.

The G5 sight has a fixed pin for 20 yards, it's a rigid fixed pin sight. Plus it has another pin that has a dial on it for any range you need beyond 20. With this my tree stand hunting is all set, 20 yards fixed works for my shooting 75% of the time. The other 25% I can dial in the exact yardage I measure. The dial is smooth as silk, the mechanics seem really well done. There is an optional light for the pins, although it's a stick out kinda light. It has a definite feel or on/ off click. It also has 9 clicks of brightness for the exact amount of light needed.

The back of the sight is not as well done as I would like. It seems like the mechanics and the fiber optics are just hanging out there. I know this will get packed with mud, pine needles and crap if it's on my bow. Certainly not a deal breaker just an observation. Even the trijicons perfect design has exposed parts and gears to adjust it.

Using an adjustable pin sight with a fixed pin has another great feature, When you draw and sight in you can see the pin gap instantly and know that it's probably wrong for the distance, ( or right) without that fixed pin there is no reference point. The metal work and the strength of the frame mounting and hood are good. Pretty typical of all other high end quality sights today. The light is as good as it gets, ( except for being external) and the feel of the adjustments are perfect. It has dial elevation and windage adjustments no tools needed to adjust, just a Hex key to lock them in place. This is a huge advantage over the black gold and even the trijicon!

I'm thinking this is a winner. Probably on my short list of new items. Just need a bow to bolt up to it now. I did find an all "ninja black" Elite energy 32 for a killer deal. The guy bought it, shot it for one day, and just decided he wanted the Energy 35 instead. It's effectively brand new. Just gotta get the draw length module changed. If the deal holds I'll let you know!

I think this G5 sight is going on whatever I decide to buy next.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats on finding your Elite. My son and I shot Techno-Hunt for fun at our local shop this afternoon and my son test shot the '15 model Synergy. It was a Ninja, looked great and my son really liked it. The bow shop guy is trying to buy my sons '13 Answer, I'm guessing the son will be setting up that new Elite by the end of the week.

I'm a single pin guy, HHA on my Answer. I like it a lot, I hear HHA has some new models coming out very soon. I heard a guy in the shop earlier this year complaining about the G5 two pin sight. According to him the movable pin rattled loose constantly and he had a lot of trouble with it. Bow shop gossip?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
JJ - I used the fixed three pin, fourth floating G-5 model for three or four years. I liked the sight and killed deer with it every season. I found the blue G-5 light was the weak point in the system.

The rheostat on the end would fail for me about every six months or so, usually popping off. It uses an eight position switch from off-dim-bright with positive ball and detent rotation. I tried to repair a couple, but was never successful.

I was paying $35-40 a copy for a new light, so finally sold the bows with the sights on mounted them, and went Black Gold and Spott Hog. YMMV

If a pin was rattling, he probably didn't have the tension tight on the pin. From what I remember, the one time I had noise from pin I hadn't tightened it down after adjusting or changing fiber. The pivot Allen head that the pin turns on wasn't tight.

Last edited by AH64guy; 11/01/14.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I shake my head everytime sights come up in threads or even conversation for that matter. For the most part archery hunting is an up close and personal type of hunting. Of course like anything else in life there are exceptions.

With todays bow speeds there really isn't a need for more then two or three pins. Of course minus the few exceptions. Simple to me with sights is always better then complicated. I have the luxury of trying many brands of archery products for free. I have to say the most underrated overlooked sight on the market is the Spot Hogg Bulletproof. It is strong, simple, reliable, and priced right. You can spend more and you can buy fancier but in the end they all kill the same if you do your part. So save the money to spend on a hunt or some other needed gear.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G5 makes a good site. My buddy shoots the 3 pin fixed with the 4th as a floater. It has accounted for on target kills on a pile of whitetails.

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
IC B2

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Gregg,

My first black gold light failed in about a week. The next one would not always turn 100% off. So the batteries were dead frequently.

I spoke to them, it was a known problem. They sent me two new ones. One for each sight I owned. Those two have been good now for a few years.

I read these same things about the G5 light of a few years ago, now again from you. I wonder if they have also sorted this out? The light is a nearly identical manufacture.

Although if I recall these lights are only 20 bucks or so not 35-40. So maybe there is a difference? I really like that black gold single pin. If it had the one fixed and one adjustable it would be my first choice.

When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
YMMV - and I hope it does, that was really the only "problem" I had with the sight. I was worried iniatlly that I'd break the tiny threaded base of the light off, but that never happened, and I think I should have a time or two.

If the G-5 lights are still using that tiny wafer battery, let me know. I think I still have a few I can send you, send me the battery number.

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Agreed that tiny threaded section looks weak!

My line broke this year raising my bow up to the stand. It was UV damaged after years of use. I knew it was getting bad. Just one of those things I kept forgetting or putting off replacing.

My stand is 17 feet high. I guess the bow was 15 feet high when the line broke. It landed in the dirt side hill and then tumbled down another 10-15 yards! I was heart broken I figured the worst. It had dirt packed in every nook and cranny of the sight. The wheels were also packed. I had no confidence it would shoot proper.

Cleaned it up, looked it over could not find anything obvious. I drew it back let it down. Then took a test shot. Everything was fine! Just lucky or are bows built this good? It landed on the ring of the trijicon sight. No damage at all!

However if I had the G5 light I'm pretty sure that would have snapped off. It would have been in the impact zone.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Did you end up putting this sight on your new Elite?

Vibrations?

Pics?

Lightweight and compact?

smile

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
No, I did not go with it. I like the idea, but the black gold was a better fit and what I was used to on my other bows

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (10Glocks, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 222Sako, 21, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,429 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,412
Posts18,470,447
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.