Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Bay_Dog
[Linked Image]

Blue box Federal factory loads from my bone stock Ruger M77 MkII with 4x Nikon Monarch.

Just needed to be adjusted for elevation.

Can't really complain. Still going to start loading my own after the remaining box of factory loads is done. It's nice to know that there is something I can fall back on if needed though.

There are some good shooting 30-06's here. Here's how my 2 shoot the same loads:

Cheap practice loads:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

180gr. Nosler partition load with the same seater die setting as the cheap win power point load:
[Linked Image]

Same 165 Hornady sp load in my 2 rifles:

[Linked Image]MG][/URL]

[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/001-79.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/006-26.jpg[/img]

These 2 30-06's will do anything I need them to:
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/IMG_1119_zps9fe65caf.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/DSC00098_zpsd2a78f65.jpg[/img]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What is the color combo on that swirly?? I'm guessing black/dk gray/white??

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I don't see any downside to owning an '06. It is my primary hunting rig, and between range practice with full-power loads and reduced cast bullet loads, and all the general playing I do with various bullets and powders anyway, I put at least 400 shots through that gun a year. No noticeable roughness in the throat. Treated the bore a few years ago.

One advantage that should be quantified when discussing the 30-06 over the 308 or the Win Mag or the WSM is that the neck length does reduce the flame turbulence that the throat is exposed to, thus having some small effect on the life of the throat. It isn't much, but it is there.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 257heaven

Crappy picture, but it's the old coyote bomber:

50/25/25 Dark Grey/Black/Med Tan
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Had a Steyr M Proffesional in .270 that is on my top 5 list of rifles i want back. Had it been a 30-06 i would have sold my brother into prostitution to keep it. Had the green stock, sights,, and the DST, and Cone-trol rings. Damn it, those are really, really cool rifles.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by 257heaven

Crappy picture, but it's the old coyote bomber:

50/25/25 Dark Grey/Black/Med Tan
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

You sure?? I had a coyote bomber....and that looks more shades of gray/black.

ETA: I do see a little tan.

Last edited by 257heaven; 11/16/14.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yep, pretty sure. USPatriot sold it to me and I don't doubt the color % he quoted. Pictures don't do it justice. One of these days I'll get a better camera...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Almost looks like it has some purple in it........I guess it is the camera.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Purple would actually be kind of cool, but there isn't any purple in the color scheme. Here is one of USPatriot's pictures of the stock in action:

[Linked Image]

However, the colors aren't much better in this pic...

BSA MAGA
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
With 9 .30-06s in the safe and another one coming (a Cooper), I guess I like the caliber. This one (Savage from the custom shop) is the one I'm playing with now. Load is 165 grain GameKing factory.
Bob

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by RGK; 11/16/14.
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I love that lefty. Even though it is a Savage. Damn nice rifle!!

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
I think it will stay an '06 for a while after all. I took it out and sighted it in and found out what I suspected would happen: It shoots great! I have had the MIII Pro and the M Pro both with single triggers and double triggers but this is the first one I have had with a single set trigger and I think I like this one the best.

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by efw
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
The only time I see the .308 giving up anything to the '06 is when bullets over 180 grains are used and velocity is a concern.

I am a huge 30-06 fan who suggests 308 Win more often than not, but have to point out that I've applied this same logic to why, as an 06 lover, I don't need a 300 Win Mag.

If I ever burn out my 06 barrel I'll likely replace it with a 308 Win.

I've got one of each, .308 in a Savage 99, 30-06 in a Mauser 98 and a .300 Win Mag in an ER Shaw Mk.VII...They all work, but I'm liking the .308 more and more these days(the Mauser might turn into a 9.3x62).

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'm glad I'm not alone in loving the 30-06, but if a man has 2 or 3 30-06's, it's not a bad idea to turn at least 1 of them into a 35 whelen or 9.3x62mm wink

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I got 2 and love'm.

An old stainless/syntheic Ruger MKII I got in 1992 as a Christmas gift from Dad because if I had a 30/06 deer would literally walk to my feet and give up the ghost out of respect for the round, which didn't happen but it should have. smile

I also have a Gen 1 700 Ti bedded in a Brown Precision with Talley UL's and a 2-7x33 Leupold VX2, 6lbs 1oz unloaded. It's a touch sporty off the bench but very accurate and it packs like a Red Ryder BB gun.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Here's a different '06 story. Before you gag ("OMG, a PUMP rifle!"), let me give you the scoop on this one.

I bought it for $110.00 in the FT Bragg PX years ago on a close-out sale. Because I was assigned to the FT Bragg AMU (Army Marksmanship Unit), I had access to literally a truckload of LC (Lake City) .30-06 168 gr GI match ammo. I shot this rifle almost every day for over 18 months, anywhere from 50 out to 500 meters. It was my only centerfire rifle at the time. I also killed a half-dozen NC whitetails with it, along with a few hogs.

After I left the FT Bragg AMU I sent it back to Remington because I was only getting 3-4" groups after almost 2 years of non-stop shooting. The buttstock was also cracked at the grip in two places and the trigger wasn't always re-setting.

Remington replaced the barrel, rebuilt and tuned my trigger and replaced the buttstock. They thoughtfully glassed the head of the buttstock that joins the receiver, stopping future cracking, and added swivel studs. The safety was also reversed (I'm a lefty).

The scope is a Lyman 4X All-American, one of the last ones made. While my rifle was at Ilion, NY for rebuild, I had Lyman clean, refill and seal my scope. They also put a duplex reticle in it.

Remington customer service sent me a short note while my rifle was being serviced, asking how many rounds had been down the tube. I told them somewhere close to 18,000 rds of jacketed HPBTs, sometimes over 100 rds a day. I was told by them that my 7600 had the customer record for number of rounds fired that they knew of. Incidentally, all the work was free.

I'm careful with this 2nd barrel. I only shoot 3-shot groups before cooling; no rapid-fire 5-shot strings at 200 meters anymore. It shoots very well with almost anything I put in it, but loves 168 grain LC Match. I have some VERY nice rifles now, but I'll be buried with this one.
Bob

[Linked Image]

I added a Lyman 4X, one of the last ones made. Lyman rebuilt the scope for me after thousands of rounds. I put a new base and rings (Leupold) on after rebuild, replacing the older Weaver rings.
[Linked Image]

Two groups with the 7600 at 100 yds. Not as good as some bolt rifles here, but I'm happy. Top group is with 168 grain LC Match; bottom is Federal factory 165 grain GameKings. These two loads will do for now. [Linked Image]

Last edited by RGK; 11/17/14.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Very cool story, RGK. Thanks for your service and here's hoping your pump gun lasts for another 25,000 rounds.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Very cool story, RGK. Thanks for your service and here's hoping your pump gun lasts for another 25,000 rounds.

+1. Great story, thanks for sharing.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RGK
Here's a different '06. Before you gag ("OMG, a PUMP rifle!"), let me give you the scoop on this one.

I bought it for $110.00 in the FT Bragg PX years ago on a close-out sale. Because I was assigned to the FT Bragg AMU (Army Marksmanship Unit), I had access to literally a truckload of LC (Lake City) .30-06 168 gr GI match ammo. I shot this rifle almost every day for over 18 months, anywhere from 50 out to 500 meters. It was my only centerfire rifle at the time. I also killed a half-dozen NC whitetails with it, along with a few hogs.

After I left the FT Bragg AMU I sent it back to Remington because I was only getting 3-4" groups after almost 2 years of non-stop shooting. The buttstock was also cracked at the grip in two places and the trigger wasn't always re-setting.

Remington replaced the barrel, rebuilt and tuned my trigger and replaced the buttstock. They thoughtfully glassed the head of the buttstock that joins the receiver, stopping future cracking, and added swivel studs. The safety was also reversed (I'm a lefty).

The scope is a Lyman 4X All-American, one of the last ones made. While my rifle was at Ilion, NY for rebuild, I had Lyman clean, refill and seal my scope. They also put a duplex reticle in it.

Remington customer service sent me a short note while my rifle was being serviced, asking how many rounds had been down the tube. I told them somewhere close to 18,000 rds of jacketed HPBTs, sometimes over 100 rds a day. I was told by them that my 7600 had the customer record for number of rounds fired that they knew of. Incidentally, all the work was free.

I'm careful now with this 2nd barrel. I only shoot 3-shot groups before cooling; no rapid-fire 5-shot strings at 200 meters anymore. It shoots very well with almost anything I put in it, but loves 168 grain LC Match. I have some VERY nice rifles now, but I'll be buried with this one.
Bob

[Linked Image]

I added a Lyman 4X, one of the last ones made. Lyman rebuilt the scope for me after thousands of rounds. I put a new base and rings (Leupold) on after rebuild, replacing the older Weaver rings.
[Linked Image]

Two groups with the 7600 at 100 yds. Not as good as some bolt rifles here, but I'm happy. Top groups is with 168 grain LC Match; bottom is Federal factory 165 grain GameKings. These two loads will do for now. [Linked Image]

Top notch right there!! I just wished they made them in true lefty, like they did with the 870!!!

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have had two or three [Linked Image].308. I just like my 06 better.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 16penny, 1936M71, 60 invisible), 2,601 guests, and 1,365 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,712
Posts18,475,506
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.