Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Did not want to derail the other thread going -
But have any of you first picked one up late in life?
I'm pushing 50, and just started to try to learn a couple months ago. Always wanted to but never got around...
Current GF has a couple old guitars but doesn't really play,
a REALLY old entry level Gibson that has structural problems (bridge torqued up,pulling loose),
and a 000 size off brand "kids guitar"

I have seen accomplished friends make nice sounds on both of these, but feel like I'm in sort of a catch-22.
I may never play worth a crap, so don't really need a great one - but wonder if some of my frustrations are because I'm trying to learn on junk...

GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Jeff, don't try to learn on junk. You can get a very decent starter guitar for $300 or less. Invest in some lessons, too.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My Dad, who was a musician, always said "Even a professional can't play on junk."

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If a guitar has structural issues or doesn't fit you because it's not full size, then it will frustrate you. To a large extent what more expensive instruments get you are a better tone. Go with a starter guitar and if you find you enjoy it, then put the money into a higher end guitar.

A more expensive instrument won't put in the study hours for you, but as you gain experience you'll find a better instrument is more enjoyable to practice with.

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks for the advice guys, hopefully that will help inspire me to do some shopping, find a decent one soon.

I'd love lessons too, but will have to wait till at least end of deer season. Love the hunting, but sometimes 3+ months of it gets, well, draining. No time for anything else.

Will keep goofing around, at least I'm getting some hellacious callouses built up wink

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Yeah, much as I love my guitars, they don't make good eating. Deer season is a priority.

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Girlfriend was raised in northern MN, we talk a lot about the differences in how seasons are between here and there -
She says everything has a season, usually short and with not much overlap, easier to keep your priorities straight and gear in order. Here, could be hunting, fishing, riding horses or mc at just about any time... frequently having to choose one to the detriment of others. Ahh, grass is always greener!
But too damn cold up there for me.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Eating snow is highly overrated as a dietary alternative.
wink

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
Taylor 100 or 200 series. Same neck / playability as the expensive ones but they use laminated back/sides.

under $300 out the door

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
a REALLY old entry level Gibson that has structural problems (bridge torqued up,pulling loose),
I'd take it to someone to see what it will take to fix. They don't make really old Gibsons anymore, and I'd prefer a repaired old Gibson over a newer something else. If it's a Spanish style, I might think twice about that, though, as the fretboard is wider. Depending on your hands, that could be OK too, though. If you take it to get a repair estimate, ask them what they think, too. Gibsons, particularly old ones, are hard to beat for sound and playability.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by UtahLefty
Taylor 100 or 200 series. Same neck / playability as the expensive ones but they use laminated back/sides.

under $300 out the door

Really good guitars at a great price. American made, too.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I would be careful with the old Gibson and make for certain that it does not have some unique value.

The recommendation for a 100/200 series Taylor is a good one. Also Yamaha makes very good inexpensive guitars. You are NEVER to old to learn.

Have fun with it.

Randy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Originally Posted by UtahLefty

under $300 out the door

Really good guitars at a great price. American made, too.

Agreed. I have been playing since I was about 14. You need something with good play-ability and a comfortable neck size and you won't be able to put it down. grin

Warning...guitars can quickly become addictive like fine rifles.

Good luck and take some lessons or there is tons of free stuff to start you out online. Then move on to something like this.

Vanderbilly

twofish

*Master of random precision*
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I've taught rec-level players from 9 to 73. Want to, and you will. Another vote for Taylor. I have too many guitars, some in the high $ category, but my go-tos are Taylors, albeit at a bit higher level. There's no point in buying a guitar more than $325, unless you spend close to $1000. Everything between is about finish, too often plastic-type. If you want something that's super-durable and forgiving of climate, you might look into a Rainsong. Great machine, not as good as wood, but plays well and you'd have to really want to hurt it, to do so. Luck.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by twofish
[quote=DocRocket]
Warning...guitars can quickly become addictive like fine rifles.

This!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Anyone play a McPherson?

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I have a couple Takamines. One was bought new in 1982, so 30+ years old. It has an internal pickup (called palanthetic, IIRC) and it is a beautiful piece of lumber, and has very nice sound plugged or unplugged. I got a super deal on it when it was new, and have recently turned down $1,800 for it.

The other Tak I bought to leave at my daughters house 300 miles away so I wouldn't haave to travel the good one. It is not as good a guitar, but the price was a lot lower. With decent strings, it sounds and plays good -- just not as good as the old fella. Out the door on that one was @ $300. It is a single cutaway with no electronics. Think the model was G360.

Older Yamahas are usually a decent buy as well, and there is no substitute for decent quality. If you like playing it, you'll play it more, and eventually better.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jeffdwhite
Thanks for the advice guys, hopefully that will help inspire me to do some shopping, find a decent one soon.

I'd love lessons too, but will have to wait till at least end of deer season. Love the hunting, but sometimes 3+ months of it gets, well, draining. No time for anything else.

Will keep goofing around, at least I'm getting some hellacious callouses built up wink

Deer camp is where I play most! I've got some cheap guitars that play wonderfully. They just don't have the volume of the better stuff. Plenty good to learn on or pass around a bunch of drunks. smile I highly reommend this little Fender CP-100 for playing around the house. It's cheap, has a neck and action identicle to a Stratocaster and is EASY to play. I just wouldn't want to perform in front of anybody with it. The sound is muted by the plywood construction.

http://www.fender.com/acoustics/parlor/

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I recommend beginners start with an electric guitar because they are WAY easier to fret and that encourages more practice time. No amp needed, but I've seen decent used guitar/amp combos on craigslist for $100-$150.

Deus Juvat

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Hell, Jeff. Just buy a D28 Martin and be done with it. You can't do better.

Jim

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

215 members (160user, 2500HD, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 10Glocks, 2UP, 19 invisible), 1,653 guests, and 1,006 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,800
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.