Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I've used many different kinds of backpacks for hunting. If I'm out only a short time I usually wear a fanny pack, and lots of those work well. But for an all-day pack, I've never found anything that I really like.

Here are my requirements:
Instead of just one big cavity inside, I want several separate pockets to carry the different things I need at various times of the day.
>>Camera
[Linked Image] >>Lunch
>>Field dressing (knife, deer drag, safety pin or zip tie, rubber gloves, pen)
>>Scents (plus more rubber gloves)
>>Calls (They can be fastened to the shoulder straps if there's a way to keep them from flopping around.)
>>Rangefinder
>>Ammo
>>Binoculars
>>Thermos (preferably a long, narrow pocket)
>>Lunch
>>TP (easy access)
>>Flashlight (easy access)
>>A few other miscellaneous pockets for handwipes, extra gloves, etc.
>>A place to secure car keys would be nice, so there's no chance of losing them.

I'd like it to be fleece so it's quiet when it brushes up against tree limbs.
I'd like the shoulder straps not to be bulky, so they don't interfere with shouldering a rifle.
I'd like several Molle style attachment points, but they shouldn't all be the same size.
I'd like a waist belt to help support it when it's full, but if it rides well that's not absolutely necessary.

I found one last weekend I thought might work well. It's a SOG "Squadron" pack (pictured at right). It's shoulder straps are padded, but not too bulky and will work OK. It's not fleece, unfortunately. It has a chest strap that connects the two shoulder straps, so they don't slide apart and off your shoulders. It even has room for a book or an iPad, which would be nice at times. It's color is Coyote Tan, not camo, but I can live with that.

So, what do 24HCF members use?

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oregon Pack Works "Orion".

There will be a SeekOutside Paradox soon.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
This season, I've been digging one like this purchased from the Free Classifieds:

[Linked Image]

So far, it has been muy bueno. A bit smaller and lighter than an Eberlestock X1 that I have used seasons past.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I decided this past week end I needed a different day pack. The main requirement for me is a waist belt to carry the load on my hips instead of my shoulders. My current pack just has shoulder straps.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I love my Mother!

The OnePack cinches down to a relatively small day pack. Also expands to carry a surprising amount of gear.

The pouches on either side of the waist strap are convenient for items that need to be within easy reach. Comes with hydration bladder.

Best part, its $65!!

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/mother-onepack-hunting-backpack~p~1198m/

Last edited by Rgramjet; 11/19/14.

The woods and the water recharge my batteries.
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have been using a badlands 2400 for the past several years and it has worked well. This year for deer I used a Tenzing 1250 pack and for elk I used a Tenzing 2200. Both packs have excellent storage and the side pockets are easier to use and get to than the badlands. The only draw back I can find with the Tenzing 2200 is you can not open the pack enough to put an Elk quarter in. My Badlands would open large enough to put a rear quarter in and pack it out. Both Badlands and Tenzing are quite in the brush. I was more comfortable wearing the Tenzing all day than the Badlands.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Badlands Super Day

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
For years, I've been using this Bianchi pack from Cabelas as a day pack. Until this year, I kept an old Kelty pack frame at the truck/camp for heavy loads. I broke the hip belt on the day pack trying to get that first load out on my last elk. Now I'm using a Paradox along with my day pack to help with that first load out. I also picked up a couple different size dry bags to use with the Paradox frame, but haven't had a chance to try them yet.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use this one. I bought it at Costco on clearance for $35. It's very well padded, internal frame, has a detachable waist pack, a rifle scabbard built in, is waterproof, works with an H20 bladder and silent. Lots of pockets. It's a great pack.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by WyColoCowboy; 11/19/14.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have two of these. Liked the first one so much for hunting/hiking, I bought a second one as my go everywhere bag. These are really perfect. 5.11 finally hit the sweet spot with their packs

http://www.511tactical.com/all-hazards-nitro.html

5.11Tactical All Hazards Nitro Pack.: http://youtu.be/eONCOz0pSi8

Last edited by pira114; 11/20/14.
IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Your specs fit the Crooked Horn Master Guide; I haave been using one for 10 years. If it ever wears out; I will buy another.

https://crookedhorn.com/cms_ver_03/store/crooked-horn-backpacks/master-guide-backpack-ii-detail.html

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I use the Horn Hunter Full Curl system.....has worked great for me whether hiking for Elk in WY, or sneaking Whitetails in MI.....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
All of us have different requirements for a day pack. These days, I don't go far from the 4Runner. I'll pull up and park, then walk back into a swamp or a bit of woods, and still hunt.
I usually fix lunch by the truck, and so my needs are less than some of y'all.
I use a CamelBak MULE for my hunting pack. It is light weight, easy to get on and off, and carries all the things I need for three or four hours, and of course, my dead animal processing gear.
[Linked Image]

Sam......

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
I am looking to downsize from the 2800 CI pack I have been using. Does anyone have experience with the Crooked Horn Trailblazer?

At 900 inches that looks like it might work.

Bill

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Crooked Horn makes good stuff!

I've been using a CH Non-Typical for 10 years or more and it's earned it's price tag easily. It's been rained on,snowed on, dragged through the dirt and stomped on by a pissed off donkey.

It's still in perfect shape and I don't know that I'll ever wear it out. If I ever do, I'll buy something from Crooked Horn to replace it.

Oh yeah, They're made in the USA too. wink

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Everyday Hunter: It seems I (and maybe you?) can always find something wrong with or something else I need in a Hunting day pack!
I have gone through two dozen of them in 55+ years of Big Game and Varmint Hunting.
I suggest YOU stay with the "fleece" options and "roominess" is always an advantage!
I also only use day packs with a chest strap anymore for my Hunting ventures.
Some decades back I ALMOST settled on a "day pack" that had a rigid internal frame that I used as a shooting platform/support for predator Hunting and all manner of Big Game Hunting.
But alas it was not fleece and was swishy and noisey on those occassions when I ventured into the thickets for Whitetails and the dog hair timber for stalking bedded Elk.
I have settled on a bigish fleece day pack with no internal frame and I use my newish swivelling Harris Bi-Pods for the Rifles support.
Best of luck with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I use a couple of different packs for hunting, depending on the kind of hunt.

If I'm day hiking out of a base camp, I use an Osprey Stratos 26, orange.
[Linked Image]
http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/product/mens/stratos_26_1

If I'm backpack hunting, I use my large backpack because I don't want to carry an extra pack. That's an Osprey Aether 85.
[Linked Image]
http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/product/mens/aether_85_1_1

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
another vote for crooked horn though perusing their website I don't see the pack that I use. pity that, I really like it.

it's a fanny pack, backpack combo, I don't carry everything on your list in mine, but I do carry what I need to get by overnite in relative comfort and safety

it gets used summer through fall, it's on the AMEX list ( I don't leave home without it)

guess I should have bought two of them

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've been using a Tenzing 2200 this year and it's close to perfect for me. I wish the zippers on the waist opened front to back, and that the compression straps would all be able to attach to the opposite side for lashing down a bulky coat.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
another vote for crooked horn though perusing their website I don't see the pack that I use. pity that, I really like it.

it's a fanny pack, backpack combo, I don't carry everything on your list in mine, but I do carry what I need to get by overnite in relative comfort and safety

it gets used summer through fall, it's on the AMEX list ( I don't leave home without it)

guess I should have bought two of them

Are you sure it's not the Trailblazer? That's what I am looking at, a combo fanny pack and smaller backpack that attaches.
I need a smaller pack for horseback riding. My Badlands pack is just too big and much better suited for hiking. It's pretty hard on me when riding in the really rough and steep stuff.

Bill

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

665 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 160user, 06hunter59, 83 invisible), 2,779 guests, and 1,358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,478
Posts18,471,724
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.