Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by old_willys
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I'm gonna miss another PA season.

+1, didnt think it would ever happen that I would not be home in PA for deer season again but it has been too many years since I roamed the mountains of Potter county!

I am hunting Texas Dc 4 to 8 but it sure isnt like being home ...

Don't worry, I'll bag one for you. Be hunting outside of Mills, just south of N.Bingham. We're gettin overrun with Amish and they sure do put a hurtin on the local deer population, so hopefully there will be few left when I get there.

Wish everyone a fantastic hunt filled with long lasting memories.

Stay safe, shoot straight, and watch for Johnny Law. They likes to make their quota in the mad rush to the woods! wink

SD

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Welcome home, best wishes and good luck! grin

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Dube. As for the antler restrictions, this is the first time I've been home since they started. I believe it has to be at least three points on at least one side of the rack. If anyone's interested in matching up at Grice's in Clearfield on Sunday afternoon, give me a holler. We go over there every year.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
This year will be my 33 or 34 straight opening day in Pennsylvania. Not sure how many more I have in me but I'm still enthused and excited each year. Lots of tremendous memories of friends now deceased the taught me a ton.............

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Our guys started hunting together right after WWII, in 1946. Dad, and one of the others had all ready hunted Clearfield County before the war. Originally they stayed with a local woman who took in hunters for the season. The lot for the camp was purchased for $50.00 in 1949. At the time, there was a 200 acre working dairy farm for sale in the area for $500.00. No one had any money, so our little piece of heaven was all they could afford. There were 5 original members, all veterans of WWII. They all served overseas, in both the Asian and European theaters. The camp was built out of hand me downs and anything the guys could scrounge for free. It started out as a simple one room cabin. Over the years, a kitchen was added and then expanded, and a dining room eventually went in. Back in the heydays of Pa. deer hunting, we'd have 10 to 14 guys in camp. Harvests were good. The camp accounted for many deer, bears, turkeys, and lots of small game and trout during the summer. My first deer season was in about 1975. It took me ten years to notch a tag. If my grades weren't good, Dad didn't let me go to camp, which meant I had to hunt back home in Ohio with a full choked 870 and slugs. At the age of 21, on the 2nd Tuesday of the Pa gun season, a spike buck simply appeared in front of me from out of nowhere, and I took my first deer. Sadly, this would be Dad's last hunt. He passed away the following spring. He was the last surviving member of the original crew, the Olde Guard, as we like to call them. Now, it's down to me and my brother. My son will hunt with us this fall. Ironically, he's been hunting for 10 years and hasn't filled a tag yet. We hope this will be his time to shine. He will be carrying a very special gun. Dad's beloved old 99, chambered for 300 Savage, and topped with the iconic K-4 Weaver. I can only wonder how many millions of deer have found themselves in the crosshairs of a K-4 topped Savage.

Here's to all the camps that will be coming to life here shortly. May the hunting be good, and memories even better. Good luck guys.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I can't believe that with all the folks always looking for a place to hunt, and your camp is down to just a couple folks. Do you want to keep it going? Have you thought about putting an ad on Craig's list?

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
My travel plans are still a bit up in the air (gotta get the kid back to college somehow) so I'm not sure when I'll get to DuBois but I'll be there.

Dad and I had the spotlight out a couple of weeks ago, we saw 48 deer (4 bucks for sure) within a mile of his farmhouse. Then on the day before Veterans day we saw another 4 bucks before noon while we were picking corn.

That's the good news, the bad news is his place is in the latest management area for Chronic Wasting. Oh well.

Gophergunner, PM inbound

Dale

This space for rent

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
We lay plans for a mew camp this week.

Property is owned by my cousin who owns a construction company. He bought the land for a hunting camp, but doesn't have time to do the labor. He asked if two of us if we would be willing to help start a hunting club. He would fund it if we would do some of the labor. Needs some equipment work, and the house was pretty much gutted.

There's only 17 acres but most of it is wooded, and it buts up to 2200 acres of state land.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Our guys started hunting together right after WWII, in 1946. Dad, and one of the others had all ready hunted Clearfield County before the war. Originally they stayed with a local woman who took in hunters for the season. The lot for the camp was purchased for $50.00 in 1949. At the time, there was a 200 acre working dairy farm for sale in the area for $500.00. No one had any money, so our little piece of heaven was all they could afford. There were 5 original members, all veterans of WWII. They all served overseas, in both the Asian and European theaters. The camp was built out of hand me downs and anything the guys could scrounge for free. It started out as a simple one room cabin. Over the years, a kitchen was added and then expanded, and a dining room eventually went in. Back in the heydays of Pa. deer hunting, we'd have 10 to 14 guys in camp. Harvests were good. The camp accounted for many deer, bears, turkeys, and lots of small game and trout during the summer. My first deer season was in about 1975. It took me ten years to notch a tag. If my grades weren't good, Dad didn't let me go to camp, which meant I had to hunt back home in Ohio with a full choked 870 and slugs. At the age of 21, on the 2nd Tuesday of the Pa gun season, a spike buck simply appeared in front of me from out of nowhere, and I took my first deer. Sadly, this would be Dad's last hunt. He passed away the following spring. He was the last surviving member of the original crew, the Olde Guard, as we like to call them. Now, it's down to me and my brother. My son will hunt with us this fall. Ironically, he's been hunting for 10 years and hasn't filled a tag yet. We hope this will be his time to shine. He will be carrying a very special gun. Dad's beloved old 99, chambered for 300 Savage, and topped with the iconic K-4 Weaver. I can only wonder how many millions of deer have found themselves in the crosshairs of a K-4 topped Savage.

Here's to all the camps that will be coming to life here shortly. May the hunting be good, and memories even better. Good luck guys.

The story of your camp is almost exactly the same as the camp that I am a member of. Founded in 1948 after WWII by guys who served in the war. They bought a house for $50 tore it down and built the camp out on the mountain. Originally a one room camp, a kitchen was added on in the 60's. There would be as many as 22 hunters there in the 70's (long before my time). We currently sill have 10 members, but only 3 will be hunting rom camp this year. That's the way it's been for about the past 8 years.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by battue
Wish you nothing but the best of hunts.

Iron City aka "Red Dot"? Boys that stuff will ruin your taste buds. Pick up some Yengling, try Black and Tan, and move up more than a little while still keeping it Pa true. grin

For crying out loud. That's all you PA boys think about is beer. My dad, who is full blooded Hungarian, is the same damn way. I always thought it was because of his heritage or maybe because that's all they drank in the Navy, but now I know it's because he's from PA. Happy hunting to all you PA guys....:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Micro_Groove
I can't believe that with all the folks always looking for a place to hunt, and your camp is down to just a couple folks. Do you want to keep it going? Have you thought about putting an ad on Craig's list?
The only problem is, my brother's health is not that great, and he's much closer to camp than I am. This will be the first time I've been home to hunt in about 5 years. I live just south of Minneapolis. If we're going to stay envolved, I need to be an active participant. It is probably time to let someone else enjoy it as much as we have.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Wish you nothing but the best of hunts.

Iron City aka "Red Dot"? Boys that stuff will ruin your taste buds. Pick up some Yengling, try Black and Tan, and move up more than a little while still keeping it Pa true. grin

For crying out loud. That's all you PA boys think about is beer. My dad, who is full blooded Hungarian, is the same damn way. I always thought it was because of his heritage or maybe because that's all they drank in the Navy, but now I know it's because he's from PA. Happy hunting to all you PA guys....:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

There's much more to the hunt than drinking beer. We think about good times spent with friends and family, the hiss of an old woods stove as it come to life. Every camp has it's great traditions and memories. The characters that held court at the card table, the great meals, and memories of good friends who've gone on to hunt in a far better place. I have no doubt that Dad and the other members of the Olde Guard will be watching over us once again this fall. Maybe when I go draw for a jack to get the belly straight, they'll smile on me just a bit. It will mean way more to me if my boy notches his first tag. He is the last hope for keeping our camp going, if he chooses to. He has some big shoes to fill.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Good luck buddy. I hope your son is successful and loves the hunt. Get him hooked!!!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Good luck to all you guys hunting PA. A new job that I started in August is keeping me from going back this year.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Good luck Monday guys. Be safe.

-Ken

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Will be roaming around the old familiar hills of Armstrong Co. Just talked with family up there and the they have gotten 2 inches of snow so far today.

Good luck and a safe season to all.

Last edited by battue; 11/27/14.

laissez les bons temps rouler
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Will be roaming around the old familiar hills of Armstrong Co. Just talked with family up there and the they have gotten 2 inches of snow so far today.

Good luck and a safe season to all.
Where at in Armstrong county?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Up 66 out of Kittanning for maybe 5 miles, then turn left onto Ridge road. Run it for 3-4 miles and hunt the country that looks down on the Mahoning. You would almost be in Templeton.

Then perhaps further North around Tidal, which is where I'm originally from.

Last edited by battue; 11/27/14.

laissez les bons temps rouler
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Good luck to all headed out to Penn's woods on Monday. I have to pick up the ham for Sunday dinner, and then I'm off. May the beer stay cold, the woodstove not go out over night, the cards run your way, and the deer cooperate. This is the best week of the year!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Heading up here shortly. Dads already up. Knife sharpened and VLD's ready to rock! Gonna take'r easy and piddle around til wednesday when everybody's gone then give'r hell the rest of the week. Good luck all!! Grab plenty of pics!!

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

296 members (1lesfox, 160user, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 23 invisible), 1,850 guests, and 1,093 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,837
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.