Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
How do Echols Classic Sporters stack up to the classic rifles made by the David Miller Rifle Company?

I have never held either rifle in hand. I have the book on the Miller Rifle Company and those rifles seem amazing in every way. But the makers have been at it for over 40 years now and I wonder how much longer they will build new rifles.

Echols classic sporters seem very nice, but they don't seem to have the same level of perfection or beauty as the Miller rifles, which is reflected in that they are roughly half the price, which of course makes them substantially more affordable.

If you were looking for a great bolt action rifle, which of these would you choose, or something else?

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
That's a tough question, because you're not just asking to pick between a David Miller rifle vs an Echols rifle. You're also asking whether I (or whomever) would prioritize a very good, but also very expensive, rifle high enough to make the expenditure.

For the cost of an David Miller or Echols rifle I would personally choose 2 or 3 or 10 guided elk hunts, probably some for cow elk, and some for bull elk. And maybe throw in a caribou or moose hunt. I harbor no ill will against anyone that would make the choice for one of the rifles, because they are exceptional.

But I have already chosen to carry a Remington or Winchester action paired with a good barrel, mostly in a McMillan stock. They are not exceptional, but they get the job done.

P.S. If forced to choose between the two I would visit both shops, pick the maker I got along better with, and get fitted for the stock.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R

Yes you are right, a very tough question that I wrestle with for a little while every couple of years and then put back to bed again.

If I had unlimited funds there would be no question: I would buy a matched set of David Miller rifles and never look back. I would hunt hard with them and leave one to each of my sons.

As it is, I could afford to do that, but can't reasonably justify it based on that fact that I have 2 young sons and other goals for life.

I feel reasonably certain that someday I will buy a very high end custom bolt action. So I would rather it be sooner or later. I want it to be a masterpiece of functional art that I will love in every way. In the mean time, I will have to settle for the pics others post on the web.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
If i had unlimited funds i'd buy a lathe/mill and a shop full of tooling and build my own [bleep], as my mood struck..

But between the two, I'm biased to Echols, since he's 20 miles from where I live.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have spent considerable time in both shops and if you are comparing the top end, full bore custom rifles from both shops you are asking us to choose between a Rolls and and Bentley.
Unless you are adding engraving and inlays the metal work on rifles from either shop will be as good as humanly possible. When you are purchasing any object at that rarified level the highest price may simply be a matter of one-upmanship rather than any noticible degree of perfection.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
A hunting rifle that you use and depend on to work perfectly, I'd buy a Echols hands down. Too much fluff on the Millers for me. Not saying they aren't good, just rather hunt with the Echols.
There are other quality builders out their also.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (219DW, 219 Wasp, 160user, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1badf350, 66 invisible), 2,372 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,187
Posts18,503,347
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.