Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I just purchased an A.O. Neidner target rifle with a heavy barrel by William Sukalle. It was made before 1930, and seems to be chambered for the original wildcat .257 Roberts. I'd be interested in opinions on whether I should have the chambering modified to fit the post-1934 Remington commercial .257 Roberts cartridge or to the .257 Ackeley Improved.

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I would do a chamber cast and have a set of dies made for the chamber it has now. Shouldn't be too expensive, likely the same $$ or less than having it rechambered, and you won't be screwing with a piece of history.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very cool grab there! What action was it built on?

I would dearly love to see some pictures.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Large ring Mauser.

At the moment I only have the seller's pictures. I plan to photograph it myself soon.

http://zincavage.org/N-S1.jpg

http://zincavage.org/N-S2.jpg

http://zincavage.org/N-S3.jpg

http://zincavage.org/N-S4.jpg

http://zincavage.org/N-S5.jpg

Horn buttplate & pistol grip cap

http://zincavage.org/N-S7.jpg

Pre-1930 Niedner stamp:

http://zincavage.org/N-S9.jpg

Pre-1935 Sukalle stamp on underside of barrel:

http://zincavage.org/N-S13.jpg

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Neat old rifle!

I vote with The Kid: Get some dies made for the chamber as-is. That's too nice an old, original rifle, and it will be easy to make cases to fit the chamber.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
try the DeFlave technique- drop the pin on a 22-250 cartridge and see what happens. grin

LOL
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Get the chamber cast before making any decisions. I vote also to leave it alone and conform to whatever it turns out to be. Mr. Niedner isn't around anymore to make you another one.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another vote for doing a chamber cast and getting dies made.

The only way I would rechamber that grand old rifle would be if the cast showed it to be some unobtainable brass to make cases from.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I've got a chamber casting. (Just can't find my calipers, and am waiting for new ones from Amazon to arrive.) The casting looks exactly like the .257 Roberts drawing in Richard Lee's Modern Reloading, but the seller said that .257 Roberts wouldn't chamber.

What with one thing and another --the bullet part of the casting is miking approximately .257--, I think the inevitable conclusion is that the rifle is chambered for the old wildcat .257.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
WOW! Thank you for the pictures, that rifle is OFF THE CHART for a cool factor.

I hope that you get some ammo made up and hunt with this great old rifle.

Do you know the rifleing twist rate yet? If 1 in 14, you will be slightly limited in your bullet choices, but there are still some good options out there.

If it happens to be 1 in 14 (I hope it is a 1 in 10) PM me and I will give you ideas as to some good deer bullets that will stabilize in that slow twist. I have had several 250/3000 Savage model 99's so twisted and lots of modern, high BC bullets just wont work.

Congratulations, and good hunting to the both of you!

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B3

J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Thanks for the kind words. Just the kind of comment that comes in handy for reading to the wife to convince her that buying another gun was really a good idea.

I ordered dies from CH4D. He had a set of .257 wildcat on the shelf. He had made dies, years ago, once before and when he makes a new die set, he always makes two. His notes said that the previous set was made for a guy who had a Neidner rifle made in the early 1930s.

I don't know the twist rate, I'm afraid, but Bill Sukalle was a very painstaking barrel-maker and a fanatical accuracy freak, so I suspect he used the right one.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
So, you bought a set of .257 wildcat dies before micing your chamber casting? Let's hope the gods are smiling upon you!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
1) Dave Davison at CH4D said he'd take the dies back if they weren't the right ones.

2) I did mike the bullet part of the casting. It mikes .257, and the casting looks just like the picture of the regular .257 Roberts in Richard Lee's Modern Reloading.

3) The rifle was made before 1930. Remington commercialized the cartridge and changed the taper of the neck from 15 degrees to 20 degrees in 1934. The seller said that regular .257 Roberts would not chamber and included a messed up .257 case which had not chambered.

I think the odds are pretty overwhelming that the chambering is going to be the old .257 Neidner wildcat.

I would have preferred to have just gotten the chambering modified so I could buy ammo, but I asked for opinions on several gun discussion boards and got about 20+ replies telling me that it would be sacrilege to change the chambering. Not one reply was in favor of modifying the chambering. Sigh.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Bullet and .257 load recommendations would be helpful.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would love to provide some help, but you really need to know for sure the rifling twist. A very accurate barrel can be made that has a very slow twist to it, that barrel will simply be accurate with a lighter (more accurately SHORTER) bullet than the barrel with a faster twist. So, despite the barrel maker being good at his craft, he well could have used either twist rate depending upon whether the rifle was going to be used for Varmints and Targets or medium game like deer. A 1 in 14 twist barrel will typically shoot well with bullets of 87grs and under, although some will stabilize some 100 grain pills. A 1 in 10 will stabilize about any .257 bullet up to and including those weighing 117-120 grains.

For reloading data, just start with the starting loads for any 257 Roberts and add powder until your chronograph tells you that you have hit the book max speeds for a plain 257 Roberts, assuming that you do not experience any obvious danger/overload signs along the way such as flattened or cratered primers, stiff bolt lift etc. When one sees such signs, he is usually way past normal and safe pressures.

To check the rifleing twist, run a tight, slightly lubed patch into the barrel. Make a mark on the top dead center of the cleaning rod near the back of it. Push the patch through the barrel until the top dead center mark comes back to it TDC spot and measure how many inches the rod travelled before it came to a full circle. If it took only 9 or 10 inches of travel to make a complete circle, then you have a fast enough twist to use any bullet. If the distance between the TDC marks is 14 inches, you will be limited to 87 grain bullets with possibly some shorter 100gr bullets stabilizing well enough to shoot and hunt with.

Another method would be to load some lower velocity or starting loads for a regular 257 Roberts with 120 grain bullets then try to shoot groups at 25, then 50 yards. A 1 in 14 twist barrel will have those long bullets hitting the target somewhat sideways with an oval shaped hole, if they even hit the target at all.

I hope this helps some.

Last edited by safariman; 11/18/14.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Since the Sukalle barrel is a very heavy barrel, and the rifle once had a Unertl type scope on it, I think it is safe to identify it as a target/varmint rifle, rather than a deer rifle. I will try to measure the twist rate soon.

The CH4D dies arrived today. He labelled them as ".25 Roberts," which I thought was an interesting, though highly ambiguous, nomenclature

Last edited by JD_Zincavage; 11/20/14.
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Oh man when do you see an original like that.. A re chamber would render that thing just another Mauser. The chambering is everything on this one. I would find a period correct scope and have some fun..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
Oh man when do you se e an original like that.. A re chamber would render that thing just another Mauser. The chambering is everything on this one. I would find a period correct scope and have some fun..

Yep. And if this rifle was twisted 1 in 14 just load up some light varmint bullets and start smacking down the rodents and coyotes with it.

If you get tired of it, please PM me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
JD_Zincavage-

Ned Roberts wrote many articles about his .25 caliber cartridges in The American Rifleman in the late 1920s and early 1930s. Unfortunately, the magazine was rarely indexed then, and digging out the material is tedious.

However, I found the following information in Sharpe's Complete Guide to Handloading, 3rd edition, 2nd printing, copyright 1953, on pages 358 and 359. It seems to be pertinent to your questions, including loading.

Originally Posted by Philip B. Sharpe
.25 G&H and Niedner-Roberts

The .25 Griffin & Howe and Niedner-Roberts cartridge is the one originally known as the .25 Roberts. Throughout this book, however, it is being designated under the above full name, as it is entirely different from the .257 Roberts cartridge sold commercially. The .25 Roberts cartridge was never manufactured by any firm and was the original Roberts development designed by Ned H. Roberts of Berlin, N.H. Major Roberts began experimenting with the .25 caliber back around 1909, cooperating with Dr. Mann and A. O. Niedner. Since that time he has been playing with it continuously and has had coutless different barrels and bullets and cases made to his specification. The original .25 Roberts was the 7mm cartridge necked down to .25 caliber but having a long sloping neck. Also, at least two times, the length of the neck was altered slightly, so that the Niedner Roberts and the Griffin & Howe Roberts were somewhat different.
It should be thoroughly understood that loading data for the .25 Roberts and .257 Roberts must not be interechanged. ... Most of the loads given for the .257 Roberts can be used in the .25 Roberts , but one can by no means reverse the procedure. Maxiumum loads in the .25 would cause extremely dangerous pressures in the .257 due to the sharper angle or slope of the bottle neck.
The .257 Roberts was originally designed by the Reemingtons who were experimenting with the .25 Roberts cartridge in an effort to produce it commercially. The long slender taper of the shoulder, however, did not appeal to them because of its manufacturing complications. Accordingly, they changed the angle entirely so that the .257 cartridge cannot be shot in rifles chambered for the .25 caliber Roberts. It was first produced as the ".25 Roberts", but Captain E. C. Crossman insisted that to release it that way would be to invite severe complications. He suggeste the change in name to .257 Roberts, which Remington immediately accepted.

I have no idea whether Sharpe is correct in his statement regarding the relationship between loads for the .25 Roberts and the .257 Roberts. Once you have some cases fireformed for your rifle, you can check relative case volumes.

Use your rifle wisely.
--Bob

J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Thanks, that's just the kind of information I'm looking for.

My first thought was to try necking down 7x57 cases, but I've gotten replies telling me that neck sizing regular .257 Roberts cases should work. I'm not sure what case could be fire formed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 58 invisible), 2,357 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,516
Posts18,472,431
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.