Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
A
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
http://thegunwriter.blogs.heraldtri...gazine-threatens-illinois-pro-gun-group/

On Wednesday, John wrote a story about G&A's recent review of the new Taurus .380 "Curve."

He didn't pull any punches.

John called the new pistol a "Turd," and he took the magazine to task for its glowing review, which he said was fueled by advertising dollars.

The next day, he got an email from Dusty Gibson, G&A's Online Shooting Editor, ordering him to remove his post by 8 a.m. Friday morning, or else.

"If the material is not removed by that time, we will seek legal action immediately," Gibson wrote.

"The fact I effectively called into question G&A's objectivity does not, in and of itself, make that a defamatory or slanderous statement," John told me Friday, about two hours after the magazine's deadline expired.

John also pointed out that GSL now has monthly meetings in Peoria, which also happens to be where G&A is headquartered.

"I've never seen them at any of our monthly meetings," Boch said.

I called Gibson to try to find out why his gun magazine would threaten a grassroots pro-gun group.

I'm still waiting for him or any other G&A editor to call me at (941) 284-8553.

Threatening legal action against such a dedicated group of gun folks is classless.

Besides, if the magazine was so offended by John's story, maybe they should have tried talking to him first, before threatening to sue.

"If they had asked nicely, maybe we could have worked something out," John said. "They're stepping in a cow pie, kind of akin to what they did with Metcalf."

I couldn't agree more, John.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If the gun is a turd then gun is a turd. Being truthful is not a fault. The fault seems to be with Taurus. Shame on them for putting out a piece of junk. kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Here's more about the Taurus Turd.

It really IS CURVED.

Has no sights.

And is designed to be carried Mexican style.

Yet Guns and Ammo decided to give it a great review.

Between this, the Remintion R51 write up and Dick anti-gun Metcalf, this publication is loosing all credibility.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So now you can be sued for having an opinion. Think I better practice ducking.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Apparently the truth really does hurt.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
This isn't anything new to outdoor writing.

I have seen writers fired, editors fired, advertisers pizzed off, magazines re-structured.... on and on.

In the end, the advertisers pay the bills, and the powers that be, 1) write the checks and 2), provide the blank pages.

This isn't the first, and won't be the last fracas like this.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Quit taking that rag about 20 years ago.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So now you can be sued for having an opinion

Yes, if you claim someone lied, as he did in his "story"
It has nothing to do with "disagreeing" with his opinion about the gun itself.

Last edited by Snyper; 11/22/14.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter

The magazine I mostly wrote for during the last fifteen years of my career was a quarterly. Every now and then, the editor would give me subtle hints about who I could mention in articles and which company I could not. All of this, of course, depended on who paid their advertising bill and who didn't.

Seeing as my articles had to be in six months before the publishing date, keeping "who's in" and "who's out" was rather difficult.

Not mentioning names, I just plain avoided writing about one bullet company and one scope manufacturer. They were either "in" or "out," depending on the month and it was too much of a pain in the ass to ask Editor John about their status.

I'm soooo glad I'm not doing that crap any more. It's way better just to write my weekly blog and have fun with it.

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hiya Steve,

Good to see you. Hope all is well.

Sam......

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
It's nothing new with G&A. Almost 30 years ago, I wrote a piece comparing and reviewing shooting glasses. After I submitted it, I was "advised" by the then-editor to alter my comments about one brand of glasses because they were an advertiser. (I called their glasses not only unsafe, but an eye loss waiting to happen.)

I refused. Another magazine ran the piece exactly as I wrote it, and I never submitted to G&A again. Or read it, for that matter.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Is there a good gum magazine left out there? Only I ever read any more it the American Riflemen and I find myself not reading much it that any more.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Not surprised to see yet another "turd" follow the queer lobby agenda and sue against normal, well reasoned argument against an idea that is just plain stupid.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by dogzapper

The magazine I mostly wrote for during the last fifteen years of my career was a quarterly. Every now and then, the editor would give me subtle hints about who I could mention in articles and which company I could not. All of this, of course, depended on who paid their advertising bill and who didn't.

Seeing as my articles had to be in six months before the publishing date, keeping "who's in" and "who's out" was rather difficult.

Not mentioning names, I just plain avoided writing about one bullet company and one scope manufacturer. They were either "in" or "out," depending on the month and it was too much of a pain in the ass to ask Editor John about their status.

I'm soooo glad I'm not doing that crap any more. It's way better just to write my weekly blog and have fun with it.

Steve

And we are just glad you are doing what you want and help maintain some integrity in the business.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I started with G&A when Elmer joined them. Gave it up when the lightweights outnumbered solid guys. That was a long time ago.

How could G&A think drawing attention to themselves in this matter could possibly be good for them. Maroons being advised by maroons.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by Scott F
Is there a good gum magazine left out there? Only I ever read any more it the American Riflemen and I find myself not reading much it that any more.

Ditto!

E
EWY Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Guns & Ammo has dropped their legal action against the pro gun group Guns Save Life.
Guns Save Life is located in central Illinois and is a great group. I urge people to check out their web site and consider joining, especially if you're an Illinois resident.

Ernie

George Washington - �Labour to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire,�conscience.�

God save the Republic
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
When I retired from writing, I was surprised to find that I had lost interest in all things "gun." I sold most of my guns, gave away most of my reloading supplies and packed up the rest, and allowed all my magazine subscriptions to lapse. The only one I still get is the American Rifleman and that's only because I'm a Life Member. I usually flip through it and toss it upon arrival - and I can't get them to stop sending it.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EWY
Guns & Ammo has dropped their legal action against the pro gun group Guns Save Life.
Guns Save Life is located in central Illinois and is a great group. I urge people to check out their web site and consider joining, especially if you're an Illinois resident.

Ernie

I love seeing their signs on 74 and 72 when we drive to west central IL.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I stopped taking guns and ammo quite a while ago, and about ready to fire a couple of others.
Mostly my opinion is people shilling products for the advertisers.
And, with the new writers, even i am finding time and time again things they put down that are just factually wrong.
Like the .45/70 round was invented for a lever action gun.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 60 invisible), 2,683 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,459
Posts18,471,154
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.